Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #31  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Sept 3....clear the house of company and bad food choices!
Tuesday......Sept. 4.......183
Sept 4 ...1175 calories, 35 min. exercise
Sept 5....1080 calories, 35 min. exercise
Sept 6....1190 calories, 35 min. exercise
Sept 7....1220 calories, 30 min. exercise

I finally got the audio tape and listened to Rethinking Thin. It's conclusion is a real downer. I am wondering if losing a lot of weight (I've lost just over 50 pounds...at this time....closer to 60 before I blew it last month) doesn't sit you up for a relapse. I am thinking that binging /relapse is a normal part of weight loss and like a roller coaster ride you need to just ride it out....it will eventually get you where you want to be! I don't think anyone has addressed this issue of regain as a normal part of weight loss....everyone thinks of it as a failure. Maybe if we accepted it as a part of the process we would be less likely to "fall permanently" off the wagon feeling that it is impossible to lose all the weight anyway, and just accept it as part of the journey and keep on traveling. Maybe the cravings/binging/relapse is natures way of resitting the metabolism thermostat so that you can continue losing. What do you think?

Last edited by moxiesd; 09-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.
moxiesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiesd View Post
I finally got the audio tape and listened to Rethinking Thin. It's conclusion is a real downer. I am wondering if losing a lot of weight (I've lost just over 50 pounds...at this time....closer to 60 before I blew it last month) doesn't sit you up for a relapse. I am thinking that binging /relapse is a normal part of weight loss and like a roller coaster ride you need to just ride it out....it will eventually get you where you want to be! I don't think anyone has addressed this issue of regain as a normal part of weight loss....everyone thinks of it as a failure. Maybe if we accepted it as a part of the process we would be less likely to "fall permanently" off the wagon feeling that it is impossible to lose all the weight anyway, and just accept it as part of the journey and keep on traveling. Maybe the cravings/binging/relapse is natures way of resitting the metabolism thermostat so that you can continue losing. What do you think?
Hi Margaret,

As you know, I also read Re-thinking Thin. However, I had conflicting feelings about it. On the one hand, I also found the conclusion (VERY few people ever lose weight and keep it off) to be a downer. On the other hand, I felt somewhat comforted that this was not a psychological problem - there was a physiological basis for my having re-gained weight every time I lost it.

The conclusion correlates with my experience - from my own experience and from those of others of my friends. Most can lose the weight, but VERY few (in my case, only one friend) can keep it off.

OK - so what to do about it. First, we MUST accept the fact that if we want to keep the weight off, this is a lifelong effort. Those of us who have this problem do NOT have the physiology to keep weight off naturally.

Next, we must change our lifestyles. Change of way of eating - AND - change of pattern of exercise. To lose 1 pound, we MUST burn more 3,500 more calories than we eat. This means fewer calories + more exercise.

Finally, we must get our bodies to "set" a new "setpoint." When I hit 150 lbs., I will have lost 35 pounds. This is NOT my ultimate goal weight. However, I plan to stay at 150 lbs. - an interim goal weight - until I know exactly how to "maintain" a weight of 150 lbs. When I have done this for several months, I will try and lose another 10% or 15 more lbs. Then, I will "maintain" that weight for more months.

Somehow, I believe that this plan is a winner. If not, I'll come up with a new one!

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #33  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Hi Margaret,

OK - so what to do about it. First, we MUST accept the fact that if we want to keep the weight off, this is a lifelong effort. Those of us who have this problem do NOT have the physiology to keep weight off naturally.

Lynn
That paragraph says it all
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #34  

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Marylynn, You do LONG workouts - good for you!

Hi Phyllis, are you still cleaning? You're going to wear that condo out!

Hi LindaD, "Sexy Arms," "Cowboy Cardio" - where do you find these interesting-sounding DVD's?

Hi Zoe, if you don't see the "edit" button at the bottom of your post, it means you are not logged in.

Hi Karen, be careful with "kicking it into high gear." Don't hurt yourself.

Hi Theresa, good luck with your Sunday weigh-in.

Hi Piano, .6 of a lb is just a "bounce." My weight bounces up and down all the time.

Hi Ali, hope the shopping trip was successful.

Hi Karen, I'm closing in on you weight-wise. I saw 159 yesterday!

Hi Margaret, hope you're having a good weekend.

See ya tomorrow,

Lynn
Old 09-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Phyllis ~ My Space ~

Started Wendie Plan

Sept 1 WW pts. 24 - 0 miles/minutes exercised.
(my day off from exercise, I take 1/day off a week)
Sept 2 WW pts. 22 - 1 mile 15 min exercised
Sept 3 WW pts. 30 - 30 min. swimming/water exercises
Sept 4 WW pts. 21 - 1 mile/15 min/washed all my windows inside and out!!!!!!!!!
Sept 5 WW pts. 39 - Deep cleaned my upstairs!
Sept 6 WW pts. 24 - 1 mile....
Sept 7 WW pts. 21 - 1 mile....
Sept 8 WW pts. 23 - Oxysize Level 1 (hurt my foot, can't do the walking!!!!!!!!!)

Good Luck everyone! Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

Sorry you hurt your foot. Hope you can rest for a few days to let it heal.

Lynn
Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #36  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lynn:

I find the workout videos at Ross. I pick them up for about $5.00. Very cheap and not something I would find anywhere else. I figure if I don't like it then I haven't spent much on it.

Here's their website: http://www.rossstores.com/
LindaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #37  

Good Morning, Everyone,

Hi Marylynn, you're averaging around 1206 calories/day + you've posted every day + you've exercise almost every day! You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi Phyllis, you're averaging around 26 points/day (not sure what you're aiming for with your points) + you've posted every day (I'm expecting you'll post yesterday's stats today) + you've exercised almost every day! You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi LindaD, you're averaging around 1165 calories/day + you lost 5 pounds + you've posted every day (I'm expecting that you will post the 12th, and 13th today) + you've exercised almost every day. You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi Zoe, you're averaging around 25 points/day (not sure what you're aiming for with your points) + you've posted every day (I'm expecting that you will post the 12th, and 13th today). Hmmmm - what's up with the exercising? You're doing a GREAT job with your points & your recordkeeping!

Hi Karen, you're averaging around 1096 calories/day + you've posted every day + you've exercised almost every day! You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi Theresa, you're averaging around 1481 calories/day + you've posted every day + you've exercised around 8 days. You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi Trish, you're averaging around 30 points/day (not sure what you're aiming for with your points) + you've posted every day + you've exercised almost every day! You're doing a GREAT job!

Hi Ali, you're averaging around 26 points/day for the days you recorded (not sure what you're aiming for with your points) + you've exercised on 7 days. You're a little behind on your posting. Come back to us.

Hi Margaret, you're averaging around 1149 calories/day + you've posted every day + you've exercised around 9 days + you lost 5 pounds. You're doing a GREAT job!

I just thought I'd give you each a little feedback on your progress.

Lynn
Old 09-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #38  
Lifetime Loser

Thanks Lynn, this update is very helpful since I tried the Wendie plan and have gained. I see I am over in average points. I am aiming now for 22/day and I should start back tomorrow with a little walking and test my foot out.

Thank again, Phyllis
floridarusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #39  

Hi Phyllis,

How is the foot doing?

Lynn
Old 09-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #40  
LindaD

Lost 2 more pounds. YeeeHawww!!! I can't get the tracker below to change. I input all the info but it won't save it, however, it saved it in the Avator.

Last edited by LindaD; 09-19-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #41  

I've been away from this wonderful site for a year. Last year at this time I was at my goal weight but I've put most of it back on. I need you guys!!! At the end of today I hope to have something good to post about what I ate and how much I exercised.

-Celery
celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #42  
LindaD

Hi Celery:

Glad to meet you. This thread is for the September Challenge. We would love for you to join us. We also have the 50+ Golden Girls thread. You know how to lose since you've lost before so I know you can do it again. Welcome back and good luck!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 AM   #43  

I am getting so tired of seeing that 160 on the scale. I'm in my 3rd week of bouncing between 160 and 159. However, I'll just keep on keepin' on. Whoever said this journey would be easy? Patience and perseverance is all we can rely on when we hit one of these plateaus.

Lynn
Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #44  

OK Everyone, 6 more days (including today) for this challenge. Let's end this month with a SPECTACULAR week!

Lynn
Old 09-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #45  

Count-down! Two more days - tomorrow and Sunday - until we declare a winner (winners).

Lynn