Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Golden Girls,

Hope it's been a good weekend,

Hi Paula, eating your own green beans! What a treat. Do they taste better than store-bought? My dd grew some squash last summer. She figured that if she added up everything she spent creating her garden + the fencing to keep the deer out, she spent around $15/squash!

Hi Karen, hope the driver you rooted for won the race. How lucky to get to feed a tiger. When Donald and I visited Las Vegas many years ago, we saw the Siegfried and Roy show with those beautiful white tigers. It was an amazing show.

Hi Linda, these kittens are ADORE-able! I never heard of that breed. I visited the website - just beautiful animals.

I just heard from dd & sil - they are now on the Seneca River & doing fine. They loved sleeping in the boat & came close to divorce only once. Sounds like a good trip so far.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend,

Lynn
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Linda- The kittens are beautiful. My daughter trained her cat to walk on a lease. She started when he was very young.

Lynn- Maybe the green beans won't taste any better than if I had bought them at the store, but I know they are organic since I haven't added anything to them. The will be cooked on Wednesday since I just found out the hubby golfs on Tuesday and we are going out for his birthday tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #183  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Theresa! What a sweet little grandbaby!!! She’s perfectly angelic! And your dd is a very pretty girl! And she has such a lovely mother, too! Omigawd! You’ve just GOT to take the Curves job! Great hours and great bennies. What more could you ask? There’s a woman on 3FC named Meg whose before and after pics are in the “success stories” section. She got a job at the fitness center where she was going to exercise, and omigawd, you should see what she looks like now! I think she’s like a size 2 or something... Anyway, their asking you to work for them is a real compliment to you. I’m SO proud of you!
Phyllis, it sounds like you keep plenty busy, lady! Fun, too. Driving down to Key West will be so lovely. Will you take loads of pictures?
Ahhhhhh. Bobbi, m’dear! You mustn’t give up and let all that work you’ve done losing the weight go down the tubes. I know you’re very stressed out right now, and I know that YOU know how to eat healthy, so I won’t bother giving you any advice about that. What I WILL suggest is that you set aside a half hour every evening to just sit quietly - perhaps listening to some soft music, or just quieting your mind and getting rid of all the stressful thoughts that I know are roiling about in your head. Just a half hour can make a big difference in your stress levels. We’re sending you good vibes, darlin’.
Absolutely wonderful-looking kittens, Meowee-Linda. Very unique markings. No wonder you’re crazy about those little rascals.
Funny story of Graham at the Biltmore, Cat. He sure grew up movie-star handsome, didn’t he? Wowza!
Oh, Paula, just thinking of those fresh-from-the-garden green beans makes my mouth water! I’m glad things seem to be going well with your dad.
Karen, what a GREAT picture of you with the tiger! The tiger’s really neat, of course, but that is a VERY good picture of you, too. One of those keepers that ought to be framed.
Well, those are my updates, will catch the rest of you darling GG’s next time.
DH and I drove down to Newport this morning; they were having the yacht races and a “Kites Over New England” festival, and on top of THAT, everything in every freaking shop is ON SALE, and we had a blast! Ended up on Ocean Drive rock climbing and soaking up the sunshine. It’s so breezy out there that you just don’t get hot at all - in fact, DH went and got his jacket out of the car, but I wanted the sun and stayed in my tank top. (Not ready for a bathing suit yet, but I did surprise myself by losing a pound despite the splurging when DS was up visiting. 23 pounds, which pushes me over the halfway mark. Yay!) We ALMOST went ahead and got a room for the night at one of the B&B’s ‘cuz we were enjoying ourselves so much, but DH is in the middle of a big project at work, and I really can’t afford to take a day off this week - I get six weeks vaca from that place, and I have every one of them planned out for the year. So <sigh> we left for home at @ 5, and got here at 7. I just had a bath and washed my hair - gotta let it air-dry before I go to bed, If I blow dry it, it comes out too straight because I simply don’t know HOW to blow dry hair properly, and can’t seem to learn.
Hope you all have had a good weekend....Oh...I got in a long (over an hour) bike ride yesterday (Sat.) but didn’t have a chance today. Did a lot of walking, tho. I fell behind in the challenge when my son was here, so I guess I’ll start fresh next month.

TTFN
Z
Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Girls,
Well, I thought that I would check and see what has been happening once more before I get to bed.

Zoe, Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I do have a 5 X 7 of it and have it saved. I knew my son and grandkids would never believe that I was feeding a baby tiger!!

Lynn, I am a big fan of Jeff Gordon but today it was Tony Stewart that won! Darn it!! I'm just not a big fan of his even though he does have the cutest little Chihuahua I've ever seen!!

Well, not much got done today. Had lots of people stop and look at the 5th wheel, one call on the house and we got the boat washed and ready to advertise it now. We still have to advertise the tractor too!! Gosh!! Why do we buy so much STUFF!!!!

Hope everyone has a good night and I'll check back in the morning. Karen
Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #185  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
for a while, now, I’ve been laboring under the delusion that it was HUMID in southern California. According to DS & his GF, it’s no such thing! They said the weather is (usually) just about perfect. Even when it’s excessively hot, it stays dry? Oh, jeeze, No WONDER once we New Englanders get out there, we tend to settle in and stay! It certainly sounds like an ideal climate. And you stay so fresh and pretty...despite thinking that you need to lose weight...could it be that we up here in New England (oh, I KNOW I'm way older than you!) just wrinkle from the crappy weather, maybe?
Zoe: I believe I read somewhere that CA weather is 1 of 3 locations that is considered 'perfect weather'. I really enjoy the weather here and try not to take it for granted. It is dry and not humid. I wish we had a little more rain than we do to help prevent fires. I always thought states that have rain and humidity keeps a woman's wrinkles at bay. Thank you for the compliment but I do have wrinkles. I think you look very beautiful.

Lynn: I hope you don't have to have surgery again. I'm praying that won't happen. I go back to the dermatologoist on Tuesday to see if I have to have any more surgery. Eeeeks....I hate skin cancer!!!!

Linda: Your cats are so pretty. My tiger cat weighs 22 pounds.

Phyllis: Did you say you bought a treadmill to mix it up a bit? That's great if you did. I get bored very easily and I need to change my routine all the time. I walk on the beach, at the mall (at 5 am before it opens), at the high school track, in my neighborhood, and on the treadmill. A lot of people tell me that their treadmills have become a clothes rack. I keep mine in my home office by a picture window which looks out at my garden. I also have a television in the room and CD player. I figure if I ever get lazy and don't want to work out I can't avoid it since it's in the same room as my computer. The key is to stay motivated. That has been my weak point in the past but since I've began this journey for the last time, I'm doing things differently.

Bobbi: Hang in there. It's always stressful when things like this go on in our lives. Try to just maintain and not lose. If you have to eat to help with the stress try to pick fruit.....watermelon, peaches, strawberries or maybe some almonds, low fat popcorn, sugar free jello, low fat chocolate pudding, or a fruit smoothie.

Last edited by LindaD; 07-16-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 AM   #186  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Oh, I forgot to mention that I lost another 2 pounds. It looks like the longer workouts are working. I took a break this weekend and walked at the mall instead of the treadmill routine. I ate healthy and continue to read motivational books to stay on this weight loss journey and a new way of life. I've been talking to many people at work about how they stay in shape. I'm getting tips on exercising and weights. One of the ladies gave me a yogurt to try. I've always hated yogurt, sour cream, mayonaise, creamy dressings....anything like that. She said the calcium will help me lose weight. I didn't want to try it but finally did and I liked it better than any I've every tried in the past. It's called Light Fat Free Dannon Activia and comes in fruit and plain flavors. I've been eating the peach and strawberry flavors. It has only 70 calories, 0 fat, 8 grams of sugar, 15% calcium, and 5 grams of protien. I encourage everyone to give it a try. The regular type is 110 calories and only 1 gram of fat.

Last edited by LindaD; 07-16-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Paula, there is some new DNA research - it's about the fact that it is not any ONE gene that affects us, it's the interaction of several genes. This research sheds light on how things like bio-engineered food & chemically treated food affects our overall health. Better to grow your own.

Hi Zoe, Congratulations on being more than 1/2 way to your goal! I LOVE Newport - visited there with my df and my dh. I just realized that my sister has never been there. Maybe that will be our next vacation.

Hi Karen, sorry your man didn't win. Do you always watch the races on tv or do you actually attend?

Hi LindaD, Congratulations on 2 lb loss! You wrote, "The key is to stay motivated. That has been my weak point in the past but since I've began this journey for the last time, I'm doing things differently."
I just hope and pray that we all somehow learn to keep the weight off this time. After reading that book (Rethinking Thin), I am more determined than ever to NEVER go back to my old bad habits. The question is, what permanent changes are we making in our lives?
Regarding food, I have just about totally given up simple carbs - I have a few berries once in a while, but other than that, it's protein and veggies - no regular bread (I eat lo-carb brd), no pasta/rice/potatoes/sweets.
Regarding exercise, I haven't yet gotten myself into a regular exercise pattern - the WATP dvd just doesn't do it for me - I am going to quit the gym I'm now enrolled in & join my old gym. I think that will help me get back on track with exercise.
Regarding the 3FC website, I know that this board & you ladies are the third leg of my weight-loss stool. Getting on line each morning to "report in" keeps my attitude toward this journey in the right place. Reading how everyone is doing & the challenges they are overcoming is VERY motivational for me.

This morning begins my new round with doctors. I see my GP today - I want him to explain to me what they found on the CAT scan & verify that my GYN doc is the next step in this process. I also want him to check how I'm doing with my blood sugar readings & let me know if I need additional meds.

This afternoon I'm visiting a dear, dear friend - she was my mentor in my education career - who has not been doing well regarding her health. She's had one problem after another. We've had numerous dinners scheduled that she's had to cancel bc of her health. Hopefully, she's on the mend now.

I'll check back later today to see how everyone is doing.

Lynn
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good Morning.
Just a quick note, before the dr’s appointment.
I have decided not to take the job at curves…Yes, I know it sounds insane.
While I was so grateful, I have a reason.

I have really enjoyed my other new job, helping at the home to feed the old folks.

And so I have said a few prayers to help me make a decision that would not leave me unhappy.

God sent me my answer at work last night.

The daughter of one of the residents (new),
walked up to me and hugged me.
then she said

“ I had the patience of Jobe””
”and Thank you for doing such a wonderful job.”

I was so tickled and surprised, I almost cried.

While the other job does sound like the job to take, I have to follow my heart. I told my favorite lady resident, I had a job offer, And she almost cried.
While there are many frustrations, working at the home. I feel so good about what I do.

My son, is disappointed that I am keeping this job. Because I work 6 days a week, at dinner time.

And he likes to have dinner parties. I guess he will just have to hold a plate for me. And a big glass of wine.

I have to go for my dr’s appointment now,
I will be back later After I get a workout too.
have a sunny day
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #189  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning Girls . . . It's a brand new work-week for those of you who still do. Hope it's a good one.

Lynn . . . . . . Hope your visit is a success and that your friend is doing well.

Theresa . . . . . . I fully understand your decision. Job satisfaction is far more important than money and perks and you've definitely got to follow your heart.

Looks like an instant replay of yesterday around here. Tell me again why I want all these little fur-covered cyclones living in my house? At least it's definitely not dull and boring. I've been up since 4:30 and I'm exhausted already. Boy do I ever wish I had their energy.

Here's another vegetable-related FFFF for today . . .

When you eat raw spinach, some of the vitamins and minerals pass unused through the human digestive system because we can't break down the vegetables tough cellular walls. Cooking solves this problem somewhat. The same is true for numerous other veggies too, such as carrots and tomatoes. It is something of a catch-22 situation of course. Increased absorption of vitamins and minerals at the cost of the loss of a bit of the 'fill-up without calories' effect of all that fibre.

Anyway, I hope everybody has great and fun plans for today. See you later . . .
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #190  

LindaD- : 2 pounds is super!!!

Lynn- Good Luck at the Dr appoints today. Keep us posted.

Theresa- You have to follow your heart when picking the job. You are helping people that can't help themselves where you are. If for some reason you find you no longer want this job maybe you can go to Curves then.

I have to get my shower and then go tend to my daughters animals since she's on vacation. I have to finish this special order and get it in the mail today. Hubby and I are going out to dinner for his birthday after visiting my dad.

I hope everyone has a nice day.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #191  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

GOOD MORNING LADIES!!!
A NEW WEEK DAWNS...LET'S HIT THE FLOORING RUNNING!!
(Can you tell who has already had 3 cups of coffee and chickory this morning..zoooommm!)

Theresa, we do what we are meant to do...and where we are needed most...you are more needed where you already are!

Lynn, let us know what the Dr. says! I've been keeping you in my thoughts (It's scary in my thoughts isn't it?..You never know who or what you right run into in that jumble that is my thought process. If you happen to see Cleopatra while you are in there, ask her exactly why she used smashed bugs for eye makeup and if it itched...I've always wondered that)

The weather is horrible here, but I have to go to the gym, then hit the grocery store and do some other chores. Oldest son is coming to visit this afternoon to pick up his frozen food stash. (I freeze all leftovers for him in a seal-a-meal so he doesn't live on gawdknowswhat at school) Husband is working 3-midnight, so tonight is going to be girl movies and a facial and fingernail polish night !) Looks like my work schedule is light so far today and I won't complain if it is.

Oh, and I got on the scale this morning and it dropped 3lbs. Since I like what I saw, I'm putting the scale in the closet till next Monday. I started "counting calories within South Beach" and it seems to be working. It stayed the same for the first 4 days, then this morning, boom! So I don't want to look again tomorrow in case it goes up again! Don't want to "jinx" myself.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #192  
Lifetime Loser

Linda D. congrats on the 2 lbs. Your sure doing something right! We have a treadmill which I hardly ever use but am doing faithfully the walking dvd's. We got a new one yesterday to mix it up and boy it is faster but I managed to do the 2 very very brisk miles!

Lynn, good luckwith your Doctors visits and I will keep you in my prayers.
Enjoy your visit with your friend and try to relax. Let us know what you find out please.

Linda, I LOVE YOUR CATS! Checked out the website.... I had a Mainecoon (they cost about the same as your babies) and he weighed in at 22 lbs., they are very unique cats too, more like a little dog. He always came when called and sounded like a motorboat when he purred. Oh, when I was in college we had a cat named Mouse! Hey, their mousers right!

Theresa, I do understand your job decision. It is wonderful that you have had some family and patients recognize your efforts, makes it all worthwhile and nursing homes need all the good people they can get.

Zoe, you go girl!!!! Half way to your goal, wooooohooooo and rock climbing too....that would killl me!!! lol Sounds like a fun day.

Karen, what a wonderful photo. You look great in it. I would have been leary to get in there with that big cat. Good luck on selling things, yes we do have a lot of THINGS or Stuff as my dh likes to call it. Good luck.

Cat, I love the story about the Biltmore.....that is an amazing place. I'd like to go back again sometime and maybe go on the roof....Can't imagine all the money some people have. It was a little warm when we were there and I'd like to go in the fall, it would be beautiful then too.

Oh Paula, your fresh green beans sound so good and they will taste better than store bought. I love fresh grown tomato.....I still need to get some to have that sandwich! OK, going today!!!!

We are off to Orlando tomorrow to check out a time share we are staying in with my daughter and her family in October for our family reunion at Disney World. It is a Sheraton (which are always very nice) but I just want to see it and make sure, it is only a 2 hr. drive and we can stop and visit with my hubby's Mom on the way home...we do owe her a visit so it will be a long day with about 5 hrs. on the road....but hey, we are retired and have lot's of time! lol

Phyllis
Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #193  
Lifetime Loser

Cat, we must have been posting as the same time......your picture is beautiful, you look soooo young. It is nice to be able to put a face with a name isn't it.

My youngest son comes over and raids our frige too for leftovers. He is the one moving after the first of the year so I am on mission to teach him some easy & quick things to cook so he won't live on hamburgers until he meets his soul mate!

Phyllis
Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #194  

: WOOHOO 3 pounds. I sure wish my scale would show a loss.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #195  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

WOW I miss a weekend and so much to get caught up on -- My poor Zoe trapped by Codgers on Friday -- Linda losing 2 pounds - YAY!!! Theresa deciding on jobs -fabulous. Cat posting her picture -- my goodness I think we will need to see some identification you look so young and absolutley gorgeous. Big hi's to Karen, Phyllis, Lynn, Paula, Linda with your darling Bengals -- reminds me of my dear friend researching them - she just couldn't afford to buy one. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Had an interesting weekend -- I have been mustering the courage to find our old family videos (didn't have many). I found the two tapes and I was so dreading to see the condition - the tapes are 10 and 20 years old. First it was emotionally shocking to see videos of my late husband -- I had forgotten how unique his accent was -- fusion of New Zealander and Canadian - he confused both nations. Then I saw videos of me from 1997 -- total shock to look at myself and calculate I must have been up and over 300 pounds at that time. My hair was long and horrid -- I was a huge lump so I decided instead of dwelling on horrible I looked 10 years ago I am going to be thrilled that here I am now over 50 looking and feeling so much better than I did at 40. My goodness look out 60 I am going to ROCK!!! LOL Oh and we will be rescuing the VHS tapes soon and getting them on to DVD's for safety. I am planning on giving them to my son for his birthday.

Well GOLDEN GIRLS I hope to be around more this week -- not being able to use the computer on the weekend is rather limiting
Closed Thread