Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Saturday - July 21

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Cat, I HATE mosquitos. When I was a kid, I was always the one they bit. Is there anything that will keep them off you? Used to be that Avon's SKIN SO SOFT was a good mosquito deterrant. I don't know if they still have that or if it still works.

Hi Lyn, you wrote, "Lynn - those photos remind me of my trip to Europe about 5 years ago. We went to this Medivial City somewhere in Germany - it was walled and all of the streets were cobblestone." We went to one in Alsace - it was called Haut Koenigsbourg. Whenever I go to Europe, I am just fascinated with the age of their historical sites.

Hi Theresa, I'm so glad the MRI went well & is over. Hope the news is nothing serious.

Hi Linda (Meowee), how are those kitties treating you?

Hi Phyllis, I was stuck between 166.2 and 165.8 for a week. This morning I just moved down to 165.4. Maybe today is our day to lose.

Hi Cat, do they have "open" MRI's by you? My sil is claustrophobic & was sent to one of those. I'm DoInG tHe HaPpY dAnCe FoR yOu AnD yOuR sIzE sMaLl PaNtS!!!

Hi Trish, sorry to hear that your Stepdad's kidney isn't working yet. Enjoy your Harry Potter book.

Today, I am taking my Little Sister for an eye exam and to get new glasses. If we can get them today, maybe we'll go see the new Harry Potter movie.

I got an email from the University changing the course I will be teaching starting next week. This weekend I need to do some preparation for the course. I'll check back toninght.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 07-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #272  

Default Welcome Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihound View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm over 50 and have been seriously trying to lose my extra pounds for the past few weeks. So far I've been watching calories and walking at least two miles a day. It's great to have found this site - you are all so friendly and supportive.
Heidi
Hi Heidi,

Welcome to the Golden Girls thread!

Lynn
Old 07-21-2007, 07:43 AM   #273  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Good Morning, Ladies! and a big welcome to Heidi..you'll just love it here!

Kind of a busy weekend. One of my clients has a big article coming out about them in the newspaper and we've been working since the wee hours updating stuff on her site in preparation for hits.
Going to a dinner party tonight at my best friend's house. She always has such great parties and "sets a lovely table". Really looking forward to sitting out on her porch after dinner and chatting..ok, gossiping! She has a beautiful wicker set out there that just calls for gossiping!

College roommates coming over tomorrow so I need to start my cleaning today..bathing dogs etc.

Oh, and the puppy (Bijoux) is a "Ratshi"..1/2 tsitzu (sic?) and 1/2 rat terrier. She is sweet, but a handfull..I guess the word to describe her is "spirited"..but she is learning to behave and seems very smart..she is one of those "grab shoes and run" type of puppies.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #274  
Lifetime Loser

FINALLY .... down 1 more pound.....seems this is taking forever!!! But losing this way with exercise and just cutting calories will hopefully help me keep it off.

Cat, I love the description of your puppy....I had a minuture Schnauzer (spelling?) and she was like that....full of life. The kids would walk through the kitchen with socks on and she was hanging on to them being dragged across the floor! lol She only weighed 2 lbs. when I brought her home and never got over 10 lbs.

Welcome to our new member......I'll go read and put my story in the into thread now.

Phyllis
Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #275  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Another rainy, hot, humid day for my little part of Atlantic Canada . . . Ugh! Oh well, nothing gigantic on my agenda - just a little shopping - will pick up the new Harry Potter if I trip over it, otherwise I'll just order from Amazon and wait until it shows up.

Welcome to the group HEIDI and too. You've definitely come to a great place for friendship and support as you travel the long winding road to better health and fitness. So glad to have you with us.

Don't know the answer for when you were a kid, LYNN, but now you also have to take into account the diabetes . . . we are just sweeter than everybody else . . . even when we manage to keep our BGL in the normal range, we just never seem to taste like non-diabetics, I guess. BTW what course do you teach?

Bijoux is a very sweet dog, CAT. I'm sure she must live up to her name even when she is being a bit too helpful.

Congratulations on another pound banished PHYLLIS. Just keep things heading in the great downward direction and success will be there for you.

Okay . . . got some rounds to do before I can get out and about today. Hope everybody has a great day doing lots of fun (but healthy) stuff. See you all later . . .
Old 07-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #276  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Lynn- I love the colorful building in your photo. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Great news on the tests. Now you can let out a sigh or relief.

Cat- What a cute helper you have there.

Congrats on the new sizes. See, you just can't go by the scale numbers.

Have fun at your dinner party.

Heidi- Tell us a little more about yourself.

Phyllis- : Congrats on the pound gone forever.

Tomorrow is my grand daughters 9th birthday. She has picked Pizza Hut for her Birthday Dinner place. Looks like it's going to be salad bar for me.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #277  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, I’ve been quite remiss in posting. I feel like one of the “lost girls”. Just horribly busy at work, and then out clothes shopping w/dd after work (everything’s on sale!!!!!! ), tired-as-heck last night , and errands to run, a bike to ride, and other odds and ends to attend to today. DH busy at the computer photoshopping some pictures that the kids took. I just sat down for the first time yet today. Weighed myself. Down a whopping 4 ounces! Try beating THAT, girlies! No more weighing for a couple of weeks, at least. I just can’t take it, yanno?
Had a heart-to-heart with DH about retirement, and the expense of living up here in the beautiful (not) northeast. (Dang it, Phyllis, I want to be footloose and fancy free like you!) He has conceded that perhaps it would be more logical to think about buying something down in the Charlotte (YES!!!!! ) area where property values are less than half what they are up here. We could sell what we have, take our few little shekels down there and end up practically paying cash - or carrying a relatively small, and very manageable mortgage - for a place with 3 or 4 bedrooms, 2 or 3 bathrooms a half or more acres of land (we don’t want too much land: we’re neither of us too crazy about mowing and trimming and weeding) and everything we could possibly want, including space for the kids and our friends to come and stay whenever they want as long as they want. AND we could afford groceries, which I don’t think we could do PLUS meet all of our other expenses up here if we were both to retire. (Of course, that’s ONE WAY to lose weight, eh? ) We’re not looking to make a move anytime real soon, but in about five years, I really, really think we’ll be heading south! Hooray!
Cat! What clever birthday cards (Even the one with the wrong picture on it was neat!) I can’t wait until next April (hint, hint) when I will be getting mine! And Bijoux! Oh, lawdie! What an adorable little pooch she is! Almost makes me want a dog, except I’m afraid our two khats would drive any poor little doggie we might get totally insane. OH! And congrats on size SMALL pants! ()I’m sorta jealous, actually. I don’t fit in small pants even when I’m small, for pity sake!
Jo-annie, I promise never to serve you green jello so long as you never serve me (canned) soup. The homemade kind is perfectly fine. Hope you’re having an absolutely boffo weekend!
Trish, I’m happy to hear about your step dad’s transplant; hope it’ll be up and running soon! (And congrats on the lost pounds! )
Theresa, I’m so glad your birthday was a happy one! You surely must be doing something right if all those folks care so much about you in the short time you’ve been working with them. Glad, too, that the MRI wasn’t so bad.
Karen, I hope you’re busy showing your house & other stuff to people who are going to BUY it! I’m so impressed that you can deal with all that stress and STILL lose weight! I’d probably be LIVING in the freaking refrigerator!
Paula, it sounds like your Dad is settling in, at least. I’ll get a card off to him on Monday. Enjoy the salad bar at Pizza Hut! (Kids don’t have to worry about what they eat, eh? Wait’ll they get to be OUR ages!)
Lyn - me, too. The unplanned weekend, I mean. We might drive down to the beach again tomorrow - we enjoyed last Sunday so much!
Lily, your mini-goals appear to be working - maybe that’s what I should do, but at the rate I’m losing, I’ll have to set my goals in OUNCES!!!
Meowee-Linda - You know, I didn’t know that about the chicken skin. I always remove it, anyway, but it’s interesting to know just how much good I’m actually doing myself!
LindaD, hope all is well with you in sunny southern California. Lucky you!
Moxie, soup recipes would actually be LOVELY! I’m pretty intolerant of the canned kind, but as I said to Jo-annie, homemade soup is quite a different story. Oh, I hope you do go to Germany for Christmas! I’ll bet that’s a lovely season over there - plus it being wonderful to spend the time with your son!
Lynn, I’m just SO glad about your test results! What a relief! I hope you’re enjoying your day with your little sister!
Welcome, Heidi - just jump right in; we’re a loverly bunch, we are!
And I shall toddle off now and prepare a little dinner for the DH and I. After that, I may watch another episode of “Roots”. We just got the anniversary CD set.

TTFN, my dear GOLDEN GIRLIES,

Z
Old 07-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #278  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Hello GGs and welcome Heidi!

I am tentatively changing my ticker today to reflect finally dropping below 150 - hope I don't jinx it. I usually don't change it until I weigh the same for at least 3 days, but maybe if I don't weigh myself for a few days it will still be there. Hope I can reach my mini goal by the end of the month, but I will be content with a pound a week at this point.

Lyn - when we went to Germany we visited Rothenburg. It was on the Romantic Strasse (highway). It was beautiful and sounds like the place you described. It seems like every town in Germany had its old section with original or restored buildings. I remember whenever we arrived in a large town we tried to search out a McDonalds so we could use their bathroom. They didn't have rest stops like we have here.

Loved your story about your capri shopping Cat and congratulations. I know there will be many more of the GGs having to do the same thing.

Zoe - your dreaded food was canned soup, mine is macaroni and cheese. During the early years of my marriage I worked while my hubby went to school. We ate way too much of it.

Lily
Old 07-22-2007, 02:20 AM   #279  

Just found this website - has a ton of chain restaurants & the nutrition info for their menus.

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

Lynn
Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #280  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Lily, big time news!! A big hug to you for breaking that number!!!!!

Lynn, thanks for that link...great resource and I have bookmarked it.

Paula, have a wonderful time at the Birthday party

I had a wonderful time at the dinner party last night and behaved. Our hostess had a great cassarole of chicken and wild rice (I took about a tablespoon's worth of it! She got the recipe from me years ago and I know how fattening it is!) And she also had an outstanding salad I have to share. She rough chopped raw spinich, then added fresh peaches cut into little cubes, mandarin orange sections and walnuts. She had a choice of poppy seed dressing or a vinagarette. It was a really refreshing and pretty salad. We also had rolls and butter (I passed on that!) and after dinner we sat on the porch talking while ice cream churned in the wooden freezer. It was kind of hard to pass up when I saw the praline sauce that went on top of it, but I was a good girl. I didn't pass up champagne when we did a toast though but only had 1/2 glass. I had gotten quite a few comments on the weight loss, so that made it a lot easier to say "no, thankyou!" It was a really nice evening.

Today, I am going to meet either 2 or 3 of my college roommates for lunch at a great restaurant and already looked at the menu online so I could make a good choice. Looks like it's a seafood salad for me, hold the fried oysters (my favorites, sigh). I think we are coming back here for some wine and gossip, so I have to get busy cleaning.

Hope everyone has a great relaxing day!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #281  

Default Sunday - July 22

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Cat, you did GREAT at dinner last night. Made me think of a saying my WW lecturer used to say - "Nothing tastes as good as feeling attractive feels"

Hi Phyllis, I hope you lost today - I'm back up to 165.8 - I just hope I get to an even 165 by the end of the month.

Hi Linda (Meowee), so you're a Harry Potter fan. So is my dd. She loves the books & my Little Sister loves the movies.

Hi Paula, about the colorful buildings - that is what just about all the buildings in Alsace look like. I felt like I was in DisneyWorld. I've attached the one that really shows the color of the buildings - that's my dd, sil, and sister. Have fun at your dgd's birthday party.

Hi Zoe, glad you got your dh to consider moving south. Hope you get to the beach today.

Hi Lily, Congratulations on moving ticker on down!

Yesterday my dd & sil got home from their barge cruise on the Erie Canal. They had lots of photos - especially of the locks - and had a great time. Today we're off to do some shopping.
Lucy got her glasses yesterday - I took her to the place I get mine & they gave her the exam & the glasses for $100. This was about half of what her clinic was going to charge me.
My dd & sil and I are going to the bookstore today so she can pick up her pre-ordered copy. As much as I read, I have not been able to get into those books. Probably just timing.
Yesterday my Little Sister and I saw the movie - I thought it was pretty good - important message - sometimes even good people do bad things.

I'm getting frustrated (again) with my weight being stuck - I REALLY need to get myself into a schedule with going to my new gym. Today I'm going to pick up some gym clothes. Maybe that will motivate me.

Here are my wishes for a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 04-07-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #282  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning GG's . . .

It's raining . . . again . . . this is getting really depressing. Forecast says better things are coming tomorrow. Certainly hope that's right. Nothing new and exciting in my world right now for sure.

Have a great day, everybody . . . see you later.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #283  
Lifetime Loser

Congrat on the pound loss Lily......I like we are both setting these 6 lb. monthly goals....I made 4 last month, hope I at least make that this one. Good luck.

Cat, you really did well at your dinner party.....see that lower size helped you.
Good job! That salad sounds wonderful.

Zoe, I love it.....4 oz. I'm glad I don't have that type of scale! I am use to mine going up or down 1/2 lb. without stressing out.....but ounces!!!!!!!!!!!
Being footloose and fancy free has its problems, I tend to get bored easily now and always want to travel someplace....my dh says I'm wearing him out!

Paula, I sent a card to your Dad, hope he is doing better.

Hi Linda....you sure are all over 3fc and it's always nice to see a familiar name.
Don't let the rain get you down.....do a bit of exercise or get out of the house, that usually helps me.

Lynn, I finally went down again but I always get stuck for about a week then it seems I drop a pound....guess my body is really trying to hold onto the weight. Your such a good big sister....she's a lucky girl.

Heidi, like Zoe said just hop right in and joing the discussions so we can get to know you and you us.

Moxie, Linda D, Karen, Bobbi and Theresa hope your week-end is great and I'm sure I left out some of you, not intentionally.....

Happy Sunday,

Phyllis
Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #284  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone:
It's a beautiful day here today. This evening feels a little like Fall. The breeze is nice and cool. I went to the San Clemente Beach Fair today and had a lot of fun. I watched a contest of the most creative and artistic people building sand castles. There was a Woody Car presentation, music, and exibitions. Lots of fun!!

A little about work: I am one of two underwriters that my company kept when they laid off everyone in April. Originally, there were 7,500 employees in the company. They filed bankruptcy and laid off all but 200 people. I was fortunate enough to be able to keep my job for a while. At first they were only keeping us till the end of August. Then they changed the date to Sept 30. Now it's going to be either Dec 30 or March 30. It's up to the BK court and I should know for sure in the next couple weeks.

My job is to underwrite loans that Investors are wanting my company to repurchase for some reason or another. These are loans my company sold to them in 2004, 2005, and 2006 and they are now saying there was something wrong with the files and they don't fit guidelines so we have to repurchase them. Actually, a lot of them are fine but they are just being very picky because they would like to have their money back because the market is turning..property values are declining or the people went into foreclosure and they can't get their money. I still have to work on each file because it would be a great loss to my company if we had to repurchase them. I think the Investors think they can make some good money by filing a claim with the court. So, it's a lot of work! Anyway, I'm glad I have a job because there isn't anything available in my line of work around my area and I certainly don't want to move.

I also found out that my branch office is closing and I have to move to the corporate office next week. It's about 20 minutes farther to drive so I'll be driving about 45 minutes to work. Eeeek!! I just don't like the traffic I will have to deal with. Enough complaining....I keep telling myself to keep a positive attitude and keep smiling. Sorry to complain but it's pretty stressful and I needed to vent.

Lynn: I'm so glad you are okay. Now you can relax and stop worrying. Phew!

Cat: Yeah! You get to wear a smaller size. I have found that if you just pick out a pair of slacks that are too small and try them on each week until you can fit into them is a better measuring tool than a scale. The scales are too depressing. Our bodies hold onto fluid and our weight goes up, then it releases the fluid and our weight goes down. It can get crazy.

]Theresa: Glad the MRI came back okay. I hope you had a happy birthday.

Heidi: Welcome, welcome, welcome!!! All the ladies are just terrific and we all really care. So, jump right in anytime.

Phyllis: Way to go with the weight loss!!!

Lilly: Glad you got to move your ticker down. Yippee!!

Trish: I'm so happy your dad got his transplant. All my best to him.

Zoe: Retiring......that sounds so nice. I think I will have to work till I'm 90. I guess that's what I get for picking the wrong men when I married. I wish I could go back and know what I know now. Things would be totally different. I'm glad you are going to move south where things will be less expensive for you.

Hello to everyone I missed.

Last edited by LindaD; 07-22-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #285  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi Goldies, I'm still around. I haven't checked in all week because we moved MIL to a assisted living apartment. Next week we'll order a dumpster and dump 60+ years of stuff. The good things we'll keep for the auction. We are soooooooooooooo tired. We live in the country and have been driving into town everyday, both vehicles. Bruce has a 4 wheel drive pick-up that sucks gas up very fast. But we both have to drive, so much to do. This morning I thanked Jesus that I had two brothers and two sisters that all helped out when our mom and dad had to move into assisted living apartment. My hubby is an only child and we have no help other than our only daughter. I'll be so glad when I can get back to my diet regiment and normal living. I've put on 5 pounds already. O.K. Have I bawled and complained enough?
CAt, we have a grab shoes and run type dog too! He is the sweetest dog we've ever owned, a big male English Setter. But he loves anthing that has our scent on it. He'll grab something, then show us that he has it. When we try to get it, he runs around the house like a nut. He always ends up under the dining room table, thinking we can't reach the shoes, socks, etc. I can get it away from him pretty easily, but not my hubby. It just a great game for dogs to do that.
Hi everyone else that's I haven't talked to. I'll get back into the game in a couple of weeks. I'm going to crash first!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Oh, and the puppy (Bijoux) is a "Ratshi"..1/2 tsitzu (sic?) and 1/2 rat terrier. She is sweet, but a handfull..I guess the word to describe her is "spirited"..but she is learning to behave and seems very smart..she is one of those "grab shoes and run" type of puppies.
Closed Thread