Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #301  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello Golden Gals!

I have been lax in the writing end of things. You are all too much energy to keep up with!!!! THXs for the magic weight losing dust.... I can use all I can get!!

Glad to hear everyone's good news. I feel pretty blaaah about my weight losing efforts this month. My DIL has gained weight and is now heavier than I. She is so bummed about it that she has decided to start exercising. I made a deal with her that we would kick in a dollar a day and at the end of the month, the person with the most days in exercising would win the pot. She thinks my son will join.....the winner gets the pot....the losers get to kick in an extra $5.00. We'll see if that helps me get on the stick and do some honest exercising. Hopefully that will also get me motivated with the dieting too. Oh well, she has the bad habit of hitting the snooze alarm about a dozen times in the morning before she can get out of bed. (Literally a dozen times)...hopefully this will encourage her to hit & run instead of hit & snooze.

meowee...saw you posted about the cookbooks....looks like an interesting link, maybe by the end of the week or so, there will be a lot of worth while books to try out.

Well gals.... It's so nice having you here!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #302  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Good evening Golden Girls,
Whew! Margaret, please keep that heat in SD. It is hot and humid here today so all you girls to the east be prepared for some very unpleasant weather.

Nice to hear all of the GGs that are quitting or have quit smoking. Good luck to you. I am so thankful I passed that hurdle in my 20's.

What kind of scale do you girls have that weighs in ounces? Mine only does it in 1/2 pound increments. I can weigh myself then take a pill with a 1/2 glass of water and be up .5 pounds.

Hope your house sells next Karen. We are trying to sell a motor home but because of the gas prices, this is not the best year to sell. Maybe we should keep it and go on the road to visit all the GGs!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #303  

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Ladies,
Just got back from my early morning two-mile walk. I sure do hate leaving my nice warm bed at 6:00 every morning but I know it's the only way I'm going to lose the weight. This morning I briefly hit 172.8 on the scale so it gives me hope that all my hard work will pay off eventually.

Congratulations to all who have quit smoking. It is such a good feeling to kick the habit. I quit cold turkey 13 years ago and after a couple of weeks, I never wanted to start up again. Now, if eating was something I could quit..........

Paula - Wow, our stats are close - Good luck to you as well.

Well, I have to get busy around here. Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Heidi
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #304  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Tuesday

Ok..so I did the Introduction Thread. Phew! I did lose 1 pound yesterday. Almost back to by pre-vacation weight. Not going to say much more today...used up my free time doing my Intro.

Have a great day everyone!!

Lyn
Old 07-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #305  
Lifetime Loser

Well ladies, I had a terrible eating out day yesterday! Just a bad day all around. My scales said I was up 1.5 lbs. Well now I do know that most of that is water but Oh I hated to see that and we are going out to dinner again tonight............

I did do my 1 mile walk yesterday and I WILL do 2 miles today and drink tons of water. I've not worked this hard to lose these few lbs. to gain them back.

Moxie, good to hear from you. Hope your challenge works for you, money usually has a way of making us pay attention!

Lyn, I see you posted your bio so I'm off to read it.

Phyllis
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #306  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Morning everyone -- well I posted on the introduction thread. Lucky me to follow the eloquent and amazing Zoe!!! I should have done it on a document and then pasted -- I kept fearing that something would crash. I only worked half a day and then took my mom for her second treatment on her knee. She refuses to have knee replacement surgery and is opting to try having this foam injected under her knee. So far it seems to be working - the treatment has a 60% success rate and its amazing that the odds are in our favour. Last treatment is next Monday and if it does work it should keep her semi sort of pain free for about 8 - 10 months. I ate well in the morning but then she asked me to take her to this FANTASTIC Italian deli on the way home. I didn't even know it existed and its near my work I didn't buy much but I did buy these cute little biscottis -- 5=140 calories. So guess who scarfed down 10 last night -- I paid for it with an upset tummy. When will I learn
Off to definition class today -- that is my favourite class and if any of you lovely ladies can find something like it -- its so beneficial to build our muscles slowly. I am now finally beginning to work with 5 pound weights but its taken almost a year of working out to get there.

Lyn -- loved the picture you painted of your "ride". Just stay safe with that "hobby" of your husband's. Tell him to take up bird watching next time LOL.

Paula -- I hope you get some better news about your dad soon.

Karen -- great news about the sales, got my fingers crossed for the house to go soon.

LindaD -- I am beyond slow with losing. As long as we don't give up and stick together with this. I know I will get there some day -- just not this year for me.

Lynn -- oh goodie I am so glad that you enjoyed Hairspray -- its on my must see list. Yes Shawshank was a winning combination wasn't it. I loved the Green Mile too - amazing. When I was younger I just loved S King's horror stuff but couldn't watch the movies. All his books now are so rich and so well written.

Moxie -- as soon as you get into exercise mode it becomes easier. Just last week on Thurs I wasn't feeling great so I just about didn't go to my afternoon bootcamp class. I made up my mind to at least try and I have to admit felt better after class. Only time to NOT exercise is if you feel congestion in the chest.

Lily -- hey if you do the RV trip don't forget about the lovely West Coast of Canada

Phyllis -- look at how diligent you are being about getting rid of those 1.5 pounds. I know if I had taken care of those small gains or even the 15 pound gains I wouldn't be where I am now. Slowly and surely we are going to do it!!

Have a great day everyone -- hmmm wonder if Zoe is typing right now too??
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #307  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the will power dust, Phyllis; I can use every little bit of help I can get. Now, you know what really puzzles me? When we aren’t dieting – or lifestyle changing, or whatever we are currently doing – and we’re eating pretty much whatever we want, and getting very little exercise at all, we don’t seem to GAIN a pound or a pound and a half every couple of days! I mean, if we DID, we’d have weighed a whole lot more than we do a whole lot sooner than we did, right? But once we make changes for the better – once we start to eat healthier and exercise more, and keep track of our weight fluctuations, it seems like just one or two slips can spell big-time disaster. Like, for example, I lost four bloody ounces by (pretty much, or almost) sticking to the straight and narrow, but could easily gain five freaking pounds back if I dared to “slip” more than a few times! Where is the justice?????
Well, clearly there isn’t any justice in dietland. Don’t mind my ranting – sometimes I just fall off the “positive attitude/rah, rah sis-boom-bah!” wagon and get a little irritable and grouchy with the whole process. NOT that I would even consider quitting – not THAT – but sometimes it just feels good to grumble and feel put upon. And the WEATHER isn’t helping!!!! Rainy & miserable all day yesterday (no bike ride) and now cloudy and humid today, going up @ 80+ something or other. I slept very poorly last night despite being in a spare bedroom (MY spare bedroom; I’ve been sleeping in it more often than not these days, and can hear DH snoring sometimes, all the way down the hall) and I wasn’t at all happy about getting up at 5:30 this morning. So I didn’t. I kept telling DH to come back to wake me up again “in ten minutes” and he had to do it three times before I rolled out of bed. I actually considered not taking my usual bath – was going to just do a quick “wash up” and get dressed, but chickened out at the last minute and ran the tub. The old “What if you’re in an accident?” scenario that mummy used to warn us about. But I really WAS considering it – considering no bath, I mean. Felt positively zombie-like this morning.
Hah! Meowee-Linda! You and I are undoubtedly setting some records hereabouts, don’t you think? What’s worse is that my eldest daughter’s daughter is actually 16 already! That gives me about five years, here…and at, say, four ounces a week (although with MY luck, my neurotic metabolism will think it’s being starved to death even at THAT ridiculously slow rate, and hunker down and conserve every last bit of fat it can against the perceived threat of prolonged hunger …and if I lose ONE ounce every couple of weeks, I’ll be doing well) it’ll take me the rest of my LIFE to become presentable enough to attend her graduation!
Hiya Jo-annie! You are always such a breath of fresh air! Oh, lawdie! I remember the Shawshank Redemption! What an incredible movie! It made me so sad. I actually did my master’s thesis on the psychological effects of long-term incarceration. It evolved out of an internship that I did with the MA Dept. of Corrections. I also helped design a re-entry program for prisoners returning to the community in Western MA, but that was more recent – about eight years ago. I’ve spent half my life wishing someone would just give me a nice, big grant without any strings attached so I could buy an island somewhere and set up a working farm and retreat center for convicts where they could learn to respect themselves, the earth, and other living creatures – which could, I think, go a long way towards changing their perceptions of the world and their place in it. But <sigh> nobody ever did (give me a no-strings attached grant), and if it doesn’t happen soon, I’ll be too old to facilitate it. A couple of my own children have an interest in prison reform, though, so maybe it – or something similar – will happen in this next generation.
Lyn – hope your weigh-in went well! (Gawd, how I hate the thought of weighing in anywhere, anytime, any place!)
I’m so glad to hear that your things are selling, Karen! Did you take any one of those potential jobs, incidentally?
LindaD, take all the time you want/need before even thinking about dating. In fact, the less you think about it, and the more energy you put into creating YOUR life the way YOU want it, the more likely it is that somebody who actually fits with that lifestyle will come along. And even then, you’ll have to think twice before scooting over to make room for him, because you’ll be so content with things the way they are. That’s how it was for me, anyway. I hadn’t been on my own in 25 years, and discovered that I loved answering to nobody but myself. My current DH had his work cut out for him to convince me otherwise. Now, of course, I’m glad that I allowed myself to be convinced, but back then, I was the queen of skeptics, and that’s the truth! (Actually it sounds like you’re already very happy with you, which is why you are so effective on your job and why things continue to work out well for you, no matter what your company does.)
Thank you, Lynn, for your comment on my writing. It’s rather an honor to receive that sort of feedback from someone in your position. Writing for 3FC, of course, is pretty much stream-of-consciousness stuff; FUN for someone who spends 90% of their time writing work-related nonsense that gets edited six ways from Sunday. I, of course, like fifty million others out there, have a secret novel tucked away in the bowels of my home computer that gets dragged out and polished up every so often, and then put away again for the duration. Perhaps my children will see about publishing it after I’m gone. I’m not sure I could bear to have anyone read – and critique – it while I was still around to suffer from bruised ego syndrome.
Good grief, Moxie! If I got involved in that kind of competition, I’d have to stop shopping! I’d be broke in no time flat! I can see that you’re made of more solid stuff than I! Good luck to you! I will be glad to cheer you on!
I have a digital scale, Lily. I HATE it! (Jo-annie & I are NOT friends with our scales; we find them very two faced, right, Jo-annie? One minute they’re your friend, and the next minute, they’re saying you weigh too much! With friends like that, who needs enemies????)
Good to hear from you again, Heidi!
Sorry about your dad’s diagnosis, Paula – let’s hope for some better news in the future.
And yes, my dear psychic friend Jo-annie, I AM typing now, too!
Must run - have a great day, all you loverly GOLDEN GIRLIES...

TTFN,
Z
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #308  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Good Morning Golden Girls:

I'm not going into work until later. I'm having a physical today. I thought I would since I won't have insurance after the company closes. Since the company is in BK they don't have to provide the option for COBRA. So, I have been getting all the medical issues taken care of now. This is the last doctor appointment.

Boy, we women really have to get checked out a lot. I've been to the gynocologist, dermatologist, optometrist, endocronologist, and dentist. I've had a colonoscopy, mamogram, and now a physical. Just think, we get to do most of this again next year!!! Phew! By the way, did a man invent the momogram machine. What a barbric piece of equipment. The technician smashes me until I think I'm going to scream and she says, "Okay, that's it" and before she walks away to push the button, she steps on the pedal one more time for good measure and then says, "Hold your breath please". If they can put a man on the moon wouldn't you think they could invent a machine that doesn't torture women?

Paula: I'm so sorry about your father. What's your father's name? I'll put him on my prayer list so I can pray for him each day.

Well, ladies I hope you have a pleasant day. I'm going to work out with weights today and skip the treadmill. I bought a cantelope which smells so good. I think I'll have that and a scrambled egg for breakfast, a turkey and low fat cheese rollup with small salad for lunch, and turkey chili and a peach for dinner.

Talk to you soon.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #309  
LindaD

What's the Introduction Thread?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #310  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Linda . . . there's a STICKY at the top of the Age 50+ Forum page called "Introducing --- Us" where everybody can post a little background about themselves and, of course, read a little about everybody else, too.

Hi everybody . . .

We've got a very hot and very humid day on the go here . . . but it is at least. My morning has been very busy. Took Jazz in for bloodwork (he's my diabetic cat); then did a bunch of shopping; and now I'm taking a quick after lunch break to say HI to everybody before I go back to pick Jazz up again. He's doing very well, BTW. Finally his blood sugar is in the good range (7 Canadian scale / 126 US scale - average today -- yes Lynn, they work on the same scales as we do) and he's back up to his fighting weight (almost) at 8.8 pounds. So we get to maintain at 5 units of insulin, twice a day now. Yippee.

Anyway, better get myself moving again . . . see you later gang . . .
Old 07-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #311  
LindaD

Thanks Linda
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I'm rushing hither and yon (where in the world is "hither and yon?") trying to keep up with course I'm teaching, course I'm taking, gym, dd, dietitian, shopping, and cooking.

I'll check back tonight when I'll (hopefully) have more time to chat.

Lynn
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #313  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hi again . . .

Can't remember who but somebody recently mentioned "having a bad hair day" and then when I cam back from collecting Jazz from the Vet, this little article was sitting in my e:mail . . . http://www.50plus.com/display.cfm?do...&cabinetID=323 . . . enjoy.

Later . . .
Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #314  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Hi Everyone!

I'm back. I read the new Harry Potter book in a record 36 hours. I even went to Sunday service and a Family BBQ. I ate sensibly!!!

Linda(?) We've got something in common. I, too, am a Pastor's daughter. Dad passed 17 years ago. In July, I really miss him 'cause both of us have birthdays in July. I thought I would be a little down on his birthday this year but...that was the day of my stepfather's transplant. It ended up a joyous day, instead of a downer

.....Speaking of my stepfather, the kidney is functioning again. It is not 100% but it has improved everyday. He had also been walking. While he hoped to be released today. He found out it was not possible. He's giving them ****. [I was not trying to be offensive just accurate in his mood) We are all saying that this is a sign that he is feeling better---I imagine for a person as active as he is that he is getting a little stir crazy..

Paula, I am praying for your dad and your strength also.

I have just posted in the Into thread. WOW you are really a group of amazing women.

Hello Heidi!!!!!! You'll love the Golden Girls!!!!!

I seem to sabatoge myself every time I get in new numbers. I haven't exercised this week except for some rather mild walking. At least that is something, huh?

Last edited by Piano51; 07-24-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #315  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello GG's!! WHEW!!! I finally made it to the introduciton thread!! It has been a very busy day again today around here. And of course I think that with all that is going on my tummy has decided to start up with the flip flops!!

I've been trying to make sure the house is ready to show to the people from NM on Thursday and we are delivering the tractor tomorrow. I got the house advertised on craigslist and also I found a for sale by owner internet site that I decided would be a good place to advertise it too.

Zoe, I had pretty much figured that the jobs that I had gone to the interviews for just had decided on someone else-----then today Wal-mart calls and I will be going for orientation on Tuesday the 31st! I'm starting to wonder if I must have been out of mind to take on all this at once!! I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN!!!

Oh Before I forget--- The picture is my son, Todd his wife, Dani, their daughter Jade and son Todd Jr. (TJ) This was taken at the wedding on Saturday.

I know I am so far behind in answering everybody but I really love reading about everybody's day and how things are going for you. So please don't think I'm ignoring anyone-- just seem to be real tired lately. But I hope to get caught up wth everyone soon.

I hope everyone enjoys their evening and I will try to write more tomorrow. Karen

Last edited by Karen31; 06-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Closed Thread