Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #46  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Marie, first off -- do you SEE how slim your face and neck are in your family picture??! You have made it, girl! Second off -- I love that the one dog (Kodiak?) is staring down the tiger... very cute! And third off -- I had filled in the blanks on your DD / DGS history on my own, and I had mentally put the pieces together wrong. Thanks for setting me straight! I hope 2010 is a year where everything gets back to normal for you all...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone -

Another newbie here (waves to Chubster). I'm 47 and my aim is to be fit and fab by 50. (I'll be 48 in April so I'm not THAT far ahead of myself! lol!)

looking forward to getting to know everyone.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #48  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Good evening everyone!

Marie, I understand exactly how you feel. MIL has been here since last Wed. She leaves in the AM and I am looking forward to having my house back to my own! We have had a nice visit but all good things must come to an end! Sorry to hear that the situation with your DGS is not good. What a shame.

chubster, sounds like you have a good plan. We're here to cheer you on!

Newleaf, I'm hoping to take your lead and get some major cleaning done this week. My closets need to be straightened, my laundry room is a disaster, hard to believe I'm looking forward to cleaning them! I just know I will feel so much better when it's done!

cassieroll, I can't give much advice on carbs either. I love breads and haven't been able to give them up completely. I just limit the amount of them that I eat. You have to find the plan that works for you.

Petra, hope you are enjoying your time at the beach! Your cookie story broke my heart. Really wish this whole weight loss thing was not so difficult. I don't think my problems with weight were an addiction thing, instead I think I kept the weight on because it was a good thing to blame things on. When things didn't go right in my life I could always blame it on my weight.

Lambchop, I am so proud of how well you are doing with your running! You are an inspiration! Congratulations on not caving in!

Presmaggie, Hope you are feeling better. Did your boys enjoy the holidays?

I'm looking forward to being off work this next week. We don't have big plans for New Years but that's OK. I'm having an Open House next Sat. for DH's 50th birthday. I go back to work next Monday. Tomorrow I need to go out and do some returning. DH bought me 2 sweaters for Christmas, both size XL, both too big!

I've adjusted my ticker to concentrate on the last 20 that I plan to lose. I'm ready to finish what I started!

Last edited by Onmyway; 12-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #49  
Ready to hit the beach!

Welcome Peanutsmom! You snuck in with a post while I was typing! This is a great group!
Old 12-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #50  

Ya, I decided I can't be that restrictive or I will be setting myself up for failure. I'll just make sure I don't eat carbs without a protein which has always helped me from getting that binge feeling. I love bread and pasta and rice way too much to give it up.

What I do need to stay away from, however, is crackers and cereal unless I can be absolutely certain I can eat ONE serving and no more. I have a tendency to want to eat way more than that. Again though, if I'm shoving my hand in and out of the cracker box repeatedly, I'm probably not eating a protein with it either. Huh. Light bulb moment.
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #51  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

First off - I'm meeting Petra for lunch today - will be nice to see her!

New Leaf- so great to hear you're doing so well on the stairmaster, and look how long you last now! I agree - this is great for your future hiking canyon trip.

Marie- neat to know...didn't know there were different types of snow shoes! Sorry to hear of the custody issues, and how they are affecting everyone. It's frustrating - and I know my boys went through 2 different sets of rules, one here and one there and that can be hard. I had to let go of control, and was very frustrating, but did what i could in the meanwhile...((I can totally relate)) - I can tell you, things get easier as time moves on. My boys were 4 and 8, they are now 15 and 19...just takes a few years for all those intense emotions/feelings..not an easy road...and one that will have ups/downs...i've learned to take a path of least resistance often times, because of my own sanity. Hope you have your peace back soon. Happy you get a wedding and skiing to brighten your days ahead.

Cassie -it's been like that here too..hopefully everyone will feel better soon - including hubby! Maybe choosing better carbs, less startchy may help you. I've found by dropping the white and processed carbs/things it's helped in the past, ex: change white bread to multi-grain, change things like corn/potatoes to green veggies, white pasta to whole wheat pasta -- and protein is a staple for me now (obviously), but always was in previous diets too...LEAN proteins though, over just "protein" -- chicken breast over chicken leg, lean cuts of steak vs. prime rib...etc. - when I did a low carb - the best thing i did was kick sugar, which totally killed my sweet cravings (takes about 2-3 days for that feeling to kick in) - like you said in your later post...portion control and learning to eat an ACTUAL serving size is really the most important lesson we can learn.

Chubster - getting moving is the key...congrats on taking that step.

Peanuts- welcome to our group! 50 is still awhile away, you've got plenty of time.

OnMyWay- congrats on the XL being too big! Enjoy the open house...I actually like quiet holidays, but maybe because i'm getting older...don't know, but a quiet new years sounds fabulous to me these days! You can do it..and I'll be watching that new ticker.

---
Lost another inch off my hips, but the scale is staying steady. That's fine...Glad to see my hips are making big changes. In fact, at the movie yesterday - quickly ran into the ladie's room, and caught myself surprised by what I saw in the mirror after washing my hands...were they my legs/hips? They looked almost "normal" and that sort of freaked me out. My huge hips have trimmed down 4-5 inches, and I'm getting smaller. Even my tummy, which usually looks pregnant (ha) is starting to tame down and well..it's weird. My body is changing - and I'm fascinated!
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #52  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Marie - I feel for you and DD. Here in the state of California joint legal custody means nothing. I will say that it takes two to "fight" and it took us 10 years to back off and let mom control the destiny of the kids. It was one of the hardest and saddest things we have done.

Cassie - I'm not a low carber but I do keep them relatively low (@ 30%). I try to eat most of those in the form of fruits and veggies. I know for me I feel better when I eat a protein with each meal/snack and like Chub I try to eat every few hours. Here is a link that confirmed what I already knew about my metabolic type: http://www.natpro.net/metabolic-typing.html

I am one of those that sees my eating habits as more of a compulsion than an addition. I feel it is more important for me to figure out my "triggers" and work on those issues. I personally don't want to go thru life without certain yummy foods; do I still over indulge, sure but being self aware goes a long way in turning things around. It is said that with any addiction it is only a "symptom" and for me personally it is those symptoms I need to deal with or I will just bounce from one compulsion to the next.

Mack and I have finally found a house/pet sitter and are planning our first getaway. I am so excited that we will once again be able to vacation together, it's been almost two years. We have a small travel trailer and will be spending lots of long weekends hiking here in California and nearby states. We too are looking at doing the Grand Canyon, probably spring 2011.

No major damage for me on the scales; however, I continue to maintain a weight that is still about 20-25 lbs. higher than where I want to be. It will be interesting to see if once I get in the 130's if they are as easy to maintain. I remember years ago that 132 was a high weight for me and one that I couldn't seem to move off of. My guess this will be a more realistic goal.

Mack is back at work for three days and before he has another long break I have got to finish my end of year computer clean up (pictures & documents). I get very little done when Mack is home... lol

Hope you all have a GREAT week.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #53  
Deb

CAT - nice to see you glad you found a pet sitter...i know what you mean about that. it can cost a small fortune for us to kennel our dogs for a trip. Often times the kennel cost is the biggest piece of our trip because we add in walks/play time and baths...LOL - glad you found someone.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #54  
Ready to hit the beach!

Cat - Good to see you again! That's great news about finding the pet sitter! I know how important your dog are to you and finding omeone to come to your home is terrific. We only have one dog and a friend's son watches her while we are away. It's a win win for everyone, dog is happy, friend's son earn some money, we save a little on kennel fees!

Lambchop and Petra, Enjoy your lunch meeting! Isn't it great to see changes in the mirror? I remeber doing a double take once because I was so used to the heavy me that I didn't recognize the thinner me!

Cassie, I find the trick to eating crackers is to look at the serving size, count out the number of crackers and put the box away. I'm a big fan of cheezits and this is the way I have been eating them since starting to lose.

A lazy day on tap for me today. MIL is on her way home. DD has a friend over. We'll head out to do some returns after lunch. Sometimes I just love doing nuthin!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #55  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Newleaf, thanks so much for the kind words. It is Kody that’s staring at DGS’s toy. I’ve never been specific about my DD’s lifestyle as there is so much bigotry in the world, I was hesitant. OK, more than hesitant as I’m still debating posting the story. She keeps a low profile and me posting her picture on my blog is iffy to her at best… She was ok with the skiing picture as she wasn’t visible.

Chubster, I plan to see It’s Complicated and Sherlock Holmes when released into video. I’m to cheap for the theater and I love pause for restroom breaks.

Peanuts, welcome!!! You found a great group I love.

OMW, here’s to quiet houses. Our serenity ends soon as the wedding hectic stuff starts on Wednesday. But for now it is enjoyable. And really have fun returning – there’s nothing better than going up to the counter and saying “It’s too big”.

Cassie, a great rule of thumb is to measure out your food, then put the box/bag away.

Lamb, how awesome about seeing the changes. It’s amazing how others can compliment and notice but it takes a lot for us to see it in the mirror. I’m glad you’re seeing results of your hard work.

Cruise, letting go and letting the train wreck is difficult. Thanks for the insight. I very much appreciate it. Also, I’m compulsive, not addicted (except to chocolate perhaps). Mostly I turn that compulsion around and use it for losing weight. My doctor said, “I’m hearing a bit of compulsion about this” when we discussed how I was losing weight. I figure that’s okay. And isn’t it awesome to have a house/dog sitter? My dog behaviorist will be caring (and training – yeah) my pups Wed – Sat this week. It’s a little easier to leave my babies when I know they’re cared for. So your adventures will be a blast without a constant worry.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

Height: 5'2"

Peanuts - welcome! I've been here only a few days and I am finding inspiration from these wonderful women already! I am also 47, and hoping to be thin by 48 in October. I once had a hairdresser (male) who said that the most important way for a woman to keep looking young as she ages is to keep her weight down and not have too dark hair!!

CAT - thanks for the website...I will check it out as soon as I hit submit. I have to say that my new program of eating every few hours with a carb/protein/fat combo is easy! I hope it lasts. I am compulsive/addictive also, so I truly hope I can make this a real lifestyle change.

Lamb - congratulations on your lost inches!! Just because the scale has not moved, that does not matter...muscle weighs more than fat, and will also keep you burning more calories even when you are just sitting!! So while the scale is a good mental gauge, it does not always tell the real story of weight loss. You really are inspiring me.

FYI...I went back to the gym today! Again...hoping this will be a long term change. I used to exercise regularly, and like Marie, it kept me sane. So, I'm just hoping that I can get back into the groove.

Petra and Lamb...very cool that you are having lunch! Have you met before?

Have a great day ladies!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #57  

Hi everyone.
I just found this great site a few days ago and love it. I posted in another thread and was encouraged to come over to the 40's club (just turned 48) I am eager to get some weight off and avoid the heart disease and diabetes that runs in my family. I got serious the day after Christmas and am down 3 pounds already losing the initial water weight is always a great jump start motivator for me. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and hoping to inspire and be inspired! Jeanie

Last edited by jeanies; 12-28-2009 at 12:30 PM.
jeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 152/149.8/118

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jean...I joined within the week, and am finding inspiration through everyone here. You and I are the same height and have the same goal! I do not know what I weigh. I was weighed last week by my nutritionist, but kept my eyes closed. At some point I'll learn the news and let you all know.

How are you getting the pounds off? Looks like you are off to a great start!
chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #59  
Deb

Just quickly popping on..had a chance to have lunch with Petra - was really nice to see her in person. Very sweet lady
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #60  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

LC & Petra.... very cool that you got to meet. I love the internet and have met MANY wonderful people, including my husband back in 1996.

Marie - For us letting go was all that was left. After years of court and bio-mom still doing what SHE wanted (EVEN against a court order) with NO consequences we didn't feel we had a choice. The one thing I will say from experience with my own, step, and foster kids is that no matter how messed up they are THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE. For some I have been able to help them find that hope for others I have had to watch from a guarded distance.

Welcome to all the newcomers. It was about this time last year that I joined 3FC and began a new way of life...... I finally stopped dieting. One of my favorite keep it simple sayings is "eat less move more".
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote