Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning!

Had a GREAT long weekend (was off yesterday). Starting the day with the vanilla maple coffee again-loooove the smell of that maple.

Rained most of the weekend, but we were able to sneak in some walks here and there.

Glad to hear that everyone is doing OK. I'm still having aches and pains that are really strange, but I suspect its just going to be that way until the clots resolve.

Have a great day!

Dean
Old 10-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning.

I have been away a long time and much has happened. It is encouraging to see some posts from those I remember and posts from new people as well. I will go back to read more posts and respond as times goes on.

I have been away and had many changes in life. I had cancer but am cancer free, I have a new career and life goes on.

I am at work now having a skim latter and reading posts before the day begins. I usually come in early and I hope to use that time to be on here.

Have a good day.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!
Welcome back Andrea! I am so glad to hear you are cancer free. When you feel up to it please let us know what has been going on with you.
Dean I wish you could make me my coffee everyday. Did the doctors tell you what kind of pain you should worry about?
Donna thanks for the sheep update. We used to have sheep when I was a child. I loved them. Hurray for family time with healthy/recovering kids. Please do share what you learn with the therapist.
Silent perhaps some partying is in order! Hang in there and post when you can. We miss you! This is one place where no news is usually not good news.
Betsy I am so excited that you are finally going to the beach! Will the grands be going with you? I bet Toby will love the sand and water and I know you won't mind the mess. As for the old knees it is the first thing I notice with a gain.
Terra I hope you will be buying some healthy veggies and salad fixings at Wally World.
I did OK for food yesterday. First day in forever. Almost forgot that I also got in 15 minutes on the treadmill. See you all do work wonders for me. Today is a blustery/rainy day. We had a pleasant stretch with beautiful weather and Fall colors so I am thankful. As always just wish it could have lasted longer...
Have a peaceful day.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #64  

Nope, the docs really can't say exactly what pain is "normal"... What I usually hear is "everyone's healing process is different", and "you may have pain off and on for a year"... Eeeeek. Trying not to dwell on things I can't change, but its odd not knowing when I'll be done with the healing process.

Dean
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. I'll join several others on here with reporting in that summer is definitely over and fall and the rainy season have set in. But it's still warm enough that I haven't turned on the furnace yet. Guess I'll be finding projects around the house to do for the next few days -- fortunately (or unfortunately!) there's a plethora of things to do.

Dean -- Oh, my, that would drive me nuts not knowing when the pains will stop, if they're good pains (healing) or bad pains (something has happened with the clots), etc. I'm assuming that the doctor has put you on some type of blood thinner (actually they're anti-coagulants, but what the heck). My BIL got put on Xeralto which doesn't require monitoring. He said that he hasn't had any pains since going on it. Don't know if that makes any difference, but hope that the situation improves. Your coffee selection sounds wonderful.

Ubee -- Good for you for starting a string of days on plan and exercising. It all starts with one day. I'm going to the beach by myself -- and Toby. And going to the beach just means that there will be sand everywhere, but what the heck. Toby will be wild with excitement over some place new to explore.

Andrea -- So good to hear the wonderful news that you're cancer free and have a new job......you've had some major life changes going on. It's great that you're back posting with us.

Donna -- Hope your little guy is all better by now and that he enjoyed getting to see his sister. That was probably a whole lot better medicine that being quiet on the sofa for another day. I figured that the knees would still be creaky even when I lose the weight, but am hoping that the pain level will be less. Of course, I hope that each day I'll win the lottery so I may be in for a rude awakening. I'm so glad that you're willing to share what you discover with your therapist -- my relationship with food needs some explanation and insight.

SilentArctic -- Glad you're dropping in but sorry that there's so much stress in your life right now. I think Ubee is on the right path -- a weekend of partying might just be the thing that is needed.

Had an off day yesterday, but one thing I did this morning was to go back into MFP and see what my "snacking" did to my calorie count. Well, I had an entire sleeve of Ritz crackers with PB and then had sugar free ice cream with black walnuts as an evening snack. Those two alone had over 1700 calories! Ended up the day with close to 3000 calories and almost 200 grams of carbs. This is the first time I've ever gone back and entered when I have gone way off plan, and it was an eye opener. So back to it today. I was doing pretty well and need to get my mind back to accepting that I simply can't have these splurges any more in my life. Off to the gym, and probably some house cleaning this afternoon since it's supposed to rain for the next four days. Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #66  

Betsy loved the lottery remark. Thanks, I needed a chuckle. What is it about peanut butter? Was there ever a time you could have splurges? Or do you just notice the damage nowadays? Going to the beach with Toby sounds relaxing and hectic at the same time. Are you planning your food because remember all trips must evolve around food? In my world even a trip of two feet involves food...
Dean I imagine your pain will just slowly fade away and get better. Let's hope it is sooner rather then later. I must be honest and let you know I think of you and your blood clots and I try to move more.
We had a very blustery day today and even lost power. After I knew everyone was safe my first concern was "What are we going to eat with the power out?" I just need to keep telling myself I am not a lost cause.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #67  

Good Evening.

Ubee Thanks for the warm welcome and I will certainly post about my life. I am back to work full time and am now working in the financial aid/awards office. I had a thyroidectomy because a Dr. found a lump in my thyroid during an unrelated checkup. This was followed up with radiation because the cancer cells were found to be an aggressive type. So far so good but now it is trying to find the right dose of medication.
How are you these days?

Betsy Hello and it shows commitment that you tracked your intake even though you felt you were off track.

It is so great to see so many familiar posters. Hi there Fi, mountain,Silent.
I look forward to getting to know more of you.

I had a good first day of eating well. I want to work on organizing food for days I get home late. I have French class tomorrow and will not be home until 9:30 which is a long day when I start work at 8:30 am. I plan to go to the pool twice a week which will mean more late nights. I want to be organized enough to carry my dinner to work these days so I am not buying food out. I take my lunch everyday so it will just mean more planning.

From reading the posts it seems many of us are working through pain. I have pain also on a daily basis. It helps having others to carry the burden or to offer advice. I hope I can both share my burdens and help to carry those of others.

Have a good night.

Andrea
Old 10-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #68  

Good Morning!

Some Autumn Blend this morning, with a tiny bit of hazelnut sugar-free syrup, and a touch of cream...

Yup, the Xarelto seems to be a great drug, but I've still had more pain than I was expecting. I'll assume that its from the loss in blood flow and just wait for it to resolve. Trying not to be a paranoid.

I think I've made everyone around me MUCH more aware of movement and staying active. Seems no one really thought much about clots until I came up with them out of the blue and was on oxygen about a month! Scared everyone around me, LOL, because I haven't had much in the way of health ailments other than a few extra pounds I carry around

Have a great day! I'm thoroughly enjoying our fall weather-its my favorite time of year. We cooked up some sweet potatoes this weekend, and made a "lower sugar" sweet potato casserole. Mmmm...

Dean
Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #69  

Good morning!

I am at work reading posts before my work day begins. I am always here early as I like to get organized and then relax with coffee and a paper or the internet before work.

vwdeano That coffee sounds wonderful. When I went to the farmer's market last weekend they had some unsweetened pumpkin spice syrup to add to the organic coffee and it was to die for. I do love my coffee.

Have a good day all and I may not be checking in again until tomorrow as I have a long day ahead of me.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #70  

Good Morning!
Andrea did you get the pumpkin spice syrup? I was recently trying all the different syrups... BUT my sweet tooth is to strong and it ended setting off cravings. Will your surgery add to your weight loss struggle? Planning meals is so important. I need to improve that area of my life. My family and I are doing well. I did just go through a weird mental thing. I think it might be a menopausal thing. Anyhow everyone here was very supportive and I feel like my crazy old self again!
Dean I am the paranoid queen. Any chance you want to share that sweet potato recipe?
Well another wet and blustery day here in Wisconsin. Might be a good day to try my new raspberry hibiscus tea. The local thrift store is having a big sale so I best get a move on so I can be there when the doors open.
Have a peaceful day.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #71  

Off the top of my head, it was kind of a standard recipe, using cooked sweet potatotes, mashed with butter/margarine and leaving OUT the one full CUP of sugar that it called for, but then doing the called for topping which had brown sugar, pecans and a touch of flour (mixed and sprinkled over the top), then baked for 25-30 minutes or so at 350... The regular sweet potatoes with the topping was plenty sweet-can't imagine how sweet it would have been with another cup of sugar in it...

Sweet potatoes came from Trader Joe's and were excellent. Just a random bag that they had a good sale on.

Baked in a regular square casserole...

Dean
Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #72  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Talking

Betsy ~ Thanks, I'm glad I was glad to do some much walking without my foot hurting

Ubee ~ Nope I didnt get any food when we went shopping yesterday, I do all of my food shopping on the 3rd of every month and I usually get enough food to last me the whole month, Next month I need to get more food for FFS's (Fend For Yourself) nights more then I bought this month.

Andrea ~ Welcome back

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 3:30 a.m. this morning and then I went back to bed at 4:30 a.m. until 7 a.m. and then I got Clyde's food ready for the day, He had already been out at 3:30 when I woke up and before I left this morning, I cleaned out his cage, He's old so he cant hold his bladder like he used too so he has accidents sometimes in his cage so thats why I had to clean it out. Its now 12:14 p.m., My meeting doesnt start until 1:00 P.M. today, I got to school at 8:20 this morning so I've been here for a coujple hours and I wont leave until 4 or 4:30 this afternoon but its okay I dont mind being here all day. I wasnt gonna come to school today cause I had alot of laundry to do that couldnt do in the next 2 days or this weekend but my boyfriend said he would do my laundry for me today so I went ahead and came to school. Anyway my only plans for today is to go on my evening walk after dinner and do my 2 miles tonight and thats it. I walked for 45 mins last night though so I think thats pretty good, Usually I only walk for 30 mins.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Today is my birthday -- turned 65 -- and Medicare has officially kicked in. Never thought I'd be excited about turning 65, but then I can remember thinking that it was ancient. Kind of hard to accept that I now fit the definition of elderly.

Terra -- Sounds like a busy day for you. Your schedule with waking up so early would wear me out. Especially now that I'm elderly!

Dean -- Glad you're on something like Xarelto as it's a lot easier to manage than warfarin or coumadin. It is interesting that people at work are responding to the need to move around and stay active. I remember reading recently that people should get up every hour and walk around for 5 minutes at a minimum. The sweet potato casserole is one of my favorite Southern recipes. Ubee, there are lots of variations, but I agree with Dean that there is absolutely no need to put that much sugar in it. Mine calls for a little brown sugar, pecans, grated lemon peel, and raisins, but quite truthfully just making mashed sweet potatoes is good. Thanks for reminding me that it's getting to be sweet potato season again, Dean. (In spite of them being available year round, I tend to think of the cooler months as season. No, there's no logical reason for it. Must be an elderly thing!).

Ubee -- Glad you're feeling back to your usual self. We definitely missed you. You asked if there was ever a time when I could have splurges. The answer (as a true Libra) is yes and no. I definitely could eat a LOT more when I was growing up right until about age 18. I was tall and thin. Of course, I was also a cheerleader in school, had practice 3 times a week, attended a 5 story urban high school and went up and down the stairs numerous times each day, etc. Also, while we definitely were snackers in my family, my mom would not let us just eat any and everything. Once I hit college, I gained the freshman 15, but with all the walking all over campus, it was still controlled. After college is when I started really putting on weight and have had issues for the last 40 years. (Long answer to a short question). Actually, it's much easier to take trips in the RV because I have a full size frig/freezer and can take on plan food.

Andrea -- Hope your day goes well. I remember days when I was so busy at work that the end of the day just seemed to magically appear. It is so smart to get your food organized as by the time the end of the day comes -- especially such long ones as you're having -- I don't feel like cooking anything and just eat whatever. And whatever is usually not on plan!

My BIL and one nephew are taking me out to eat tonight -- Thai food but I've built it into my plan for the day. I'm definitely trying to get down to the next decade by the end of the month. I think it's also time to accept that it's time to turn the furnace on -- sitting here with a runny nose and cold fingers. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #74  

Betsy 65 OMG!!!! Time to call The Guinness Book Of World Records!!!

Turn your furnace on. Mine has been on for weeks and I still get cold fingers, toes,... It is part of getting OLD! Oooops typo I meant cold. I so want to go out for Thai with you and celebrate!

Terra will you be planning on buying lots of veggies and salad fixings?

Dean I have never made anything sweet potato. Thanks for the tips.

Great sale today at the thrift store with lots of great deals. 3 new tops for me!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #75  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

Happy Birthday Betsy!! Hope you have a great day.

Well, the concert was last night and it was interesting to say the least. Mariah can't hit the notes that she used to, but come on, it's still Mariah!!! I was super pissed cause we paid $250 per ticket at face value for VIP tickets. In the USA, when you go to a concert people stand up, shout, sing along, dance, etc. Here in China, you can't do those things evidently cause the security guards kept telling us to not sing along and to sit down 100 times. Ugh! Took the fun right out of the concert. But, again, still it's Mariah! My 14 year old dream came true even though I'm 30 now. Hahaha. Anyways, hope everyone is having a good week. I got my exercise in last night by walking more than 3 miles around the stadium. Not for fun either. Didn't get dinner til 11:30pm but needed something small cause I hadn't eaten anything since 12pm. Ah well, on to another day.
Closed Thread