Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #31  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

This is kind of a non sequitur from what we've been talking about lately, but I promised I would tell y'all the story Bob came up with that helps me tolerate having a pannus (lower belly fat that hangs down in a fold). So here goes: It's a story in which a long backpacking trip—all the way up the Appalachian Trail, for example, from Georgia to Maine—is an analogy for the long journey of weight loss.

So imagine yourself at the start of the trail in Georgia: you've got a pack on your back that has all your essential things like tent, sleeping bag, spare clothes, etc. And you've got one of those ingenious water bags that lives in your pack, with a tube coming down so you can drink water whenever you need it.

But what are you going to do for quick energy infusions, for snacks on the go? Well, the traditional thing to do is to carry a big bag of gorp. Gorp (it's an acronym for granola, oats, raisins, & peanuts) is usually made from granola, raisins, & peanuts, for sure, but most people add more sugary things like chocolate chips or M&Ms, and when I was backpacking w/ Bob, we added more dried fruit, too, like pineapple chunks, coconut flakes, and so on. The point being, gorp is a great trail food when you want to hike many miles without having to make a long stop to prepare lunch. It's all mixed up together, so when you reach in, you get a little of everything, and you can eat a little or a lot, depending on how much of an appetite you've worked up.

Now the problem always is, where do you put the bag of gorp? It's a pretty big bag, because you need it to last a few days until your next supply stop, and you want it to be accessible, so you can quickly get to it when you stop. Well, the solution I've seen some people use is to carry the gorp in a very large fanny pack—except instead of having it in back, which you can't do because your backpack is there, you wear the fanny pack on front, so there's this big fanny pack full of gorp right on the front of your body, hanging down because it's so heavy.

The fat on our bodies is stored energy, right? We all know that. What Bob asked me to do, was to imagine my pannus as that big ol' fanny pack full of gorp. At the start of your weight loss journey, your pannus is big and full, because you haven't used any of it up yet. As you progress along the trail, walking slowly step by step toward your goal weight, you need to infuse yourself with extra energy, since you're dieting and exercising. That energy comes from stored fat all over your body, of course, but it also comes from your pannus. So just as that fanny pack of gorp—actually a belly pack of gorp—gets smaller as you dip into it for energy on the trail, your pannus gets smaller, too.

Now it may not be the height of fashion to wear a big belly pack full of gorp like that, but no one cares about fashion on the trail: you do and wear what makes sense. And you'd never think to resent your belly pack of gorp, because, after all, it has yummy snack food in it that you really need, because walking all those miles with a pack on your back is hard work.

So by the same token, why resent, or be annoyed by, your pannus? You need its stored fat for energy during your journey to a new body and new lifestyle.

But when you get to the next phase, maintenance, you won't need that handy trail food anymore. On that day, or maybe before that day, you'll no longer be wearing a belly pack full of fat.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #32  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

We need a like button.

I just wish I was eating through my "gorp" a little faster!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

It's kind of like we have to eat trail mix until we learn the safe foods to forage. Then we will stop filling our pack.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #34  
rockin' my 60s!

Ubee— You burn so many calories when you're backpacking up and down the southern Appalachians that the gorp makes no noticeable change in your body. But if you want to fill your belly pack with baby carrots and broccoli florets and grape tomatoes and suchlike, the analogy still holds. The point is that you don't have a negative attitude toward your belly pack, because you know you're slowly burning up that stored energy as you walk up and down the mountains of your weight loss journey.

I swear, every time I gather up my pannus in my hands and get ready to curse at it, I remember Bob's story and I feel calmer...

But I get your point about how as we work our way toward maintenance phase, we're learning the safe foods to forage.

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-03-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I had my first binge in a long time yesterday. It was a big one but I am back on plan today. It seems like I am at a food fundraising event for the Shriners almost every day lately. I have to be there as I am the cook and the fundraising chairman. I seemed to have a bean craving today and I added both Kidney and Great Northern beans to Progresso light soup. Very good.

My calories today are 1,562 and I got in two hours of hard yard work.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hello!!!!

Woot! I'm posting twice today to make up for the days I missed

Ubee When I work out I usually devote at least 45 minutes to work out. That's my minimum because most of the HIIT videos I do are about 45 minutes. But I also lift weights too, so on a typical night if I do HIIT and lift I do about 1 hr 15-30 minutes. Tonight I did 45 minutes of HIIT and 20 minutes of ab training with my balance ball. My abs are for sure going to feel it tomorrow lol

Fi I love the story about the pannus!!! It really does make sense!! And mine is getting smaller!!!!

Jane Trust me girl, I know what you mean about pictures of me too lol...I am trying my hardest to lose this weight...for once in my life I feel like everything has aligned in the right place for me to lose this weight and keep it off...I'm just going to ride the wave as long as I can, and use you guys for the motivation I need! You all are amazing and I love you guys!!

Betsy Thank you love!! I am really trying to set goals for myself to see how I do, and if I don't meet them, hey no sweat...I'll just do better next month. I'm taking my time, but working hard to lose the weight and get healthy...even if it takes me a million years I'm not going to give up, and with all of ya'lls help, I'm going to make it happen!

I'm cooling down from my work out and getting ready to make something quick and easy tonight. DH wanted a chicken sandwich and frosty from Wendys so I grabbed that for him on the way home so it's just me. I'm thinking about making a breakfast bowl with egg, onion, red peppers, mushroom, maybe throw in some zucchini and top it with a little salsa, jalapeno, dab of sour cream and a smidgee of cheese...Sounds like an awesome after workout meal.

OH OH OH!!! I almost forgot to tell you guys...last weekend I broke out a pair of these RED skinny jeans I bought a couple of years ago that were a size 22..I had tried them on back in December before I started my journey and I couldn't even button or zip them. Now I can get them buttoned and zipped!!! They are still a little too uncomfortable for me to wear out (my muffin top hangs over too much) but if I lose maybe another 10-15 lbs they'll fit like a dream...I ALSO tried on a pair of these Torrid brand skinny jeans I bought when I had lost a good bit of weight back when DH was touring with a different band across country going on 2 years ago...I was only able to wear those for a few months before I gained my weight back when he got home. They're a size 20 and practically brand new...I was able to get into those too!! They are still really snug and the muffin top hangs over a little too much, but hey! That's still a NSV to me!! If I lose maybe 30 more lbs with those I'll be able to wear them comfortably again!!

Tomorrow is Friday!! WHOOP WHOOP!!! Anyone got any plans for the weekend??? I'm just going to work on my house and the dreaded kitchen that has dishes everywhere, ughhh....I think I'm going to check out the farmer's market and see what they got goin on there...I have really been wanting to find some fresh figs...I have never had a fig that wasn't dried or in a cookie lol...but they look sooo good!! It would be a good salad topper!!

Anyway, my energies are up so I better go make something to eat before it gets to late! BIG LOVE EVERYONE!!!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #37  
Starting over sucks.

Yay for skinny jeans!

I ate a little too much. Not off plan and not binging, but I should have stopped earlier
Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning!

Already had my coffee this morning, but working towards another good day. Hope everyone stays on track/plan today, and that you start the day with joy.

Dean
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!
Dean so nice to see you but you've got me wondering what the coffee of the day is.
Jane I over did it last night. Back in the day that would have been a drop in the bucket so I am making PROGRESS! We wil get there! We are well into our journey.
Sam I love your NSV with the jeans! You are so good for our group!
Larry good job getting back on the wagon! How is your wife feeling?
Fi just so you know I have now named my pannus Bob.
Today is a gloomy day with rain/sleet/snow. Tomorrow the better weather arrives. Somehow I have fallen behind on my laundry and I have Mount Washmore to deal with. That should keep me out of trouble.
I've started reading Primal Blueprint and liking it. I think it is similar to Grain Brain but since I am daft it will help me understand more and give me some new advice. Looking forward to letting my wild woman back out!
Let's get the Bob party started!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

coffee of the day was fairly "pedestrian" today... If I have a "canned" coffee, I like the old-fashioned "chock full 'o nuts"...

So its "chock full 'o nuts" today with a tiny bit of whole cream.

Mmmmm.
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #41  

Last night was rough for me. I had a bit too much wine and then overate. I didn't stuff myself or anything but I just had a little too much. I didn't eat slowly or enjoy it, either, just mindlessly put crackers and cheese in my mouth. Ugh. Well today's a new day.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Sam - Go you, I only DREAM of fitting into anything size 20. I am super jealous let me tell you!

Jane and Ubee - gloomy times all around.? LOL if it makes you guys feel better to have company, I had a bad dinner again. Microwave food, lasagna and I ate THREE of those handisnack snack packs. Ah well.

sorry gals, just don't care about losing right now, ya'll are doing fabulously though with your positvie attitudes.

I'm just not vibing it today, still. I'm feeling too lazy to restrict more, and make healthier choices. Thats the thing, my 'bad' choices honestly are not nearly as bad as they use to be a "bad" dinner for me, in the old days would have been TWO of those microwave lasagnas AND some chips and a chocolate bar... :-|

Better than I was, still isn't good enough, but its all I can manage right now.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #43  
Starting over sucks.

Silent I agree, must be in the air!You have lost a lot of weight. It's inevitable that you'll start to get fatigued. 301 is pretty amazing! I can't imagine what that will feel like.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #44  
rockin' my 60s!

I had an astonishing experience today. There's this 7-11 I go by on my way back from the post office (and I go to the p.o. 3-4 days a week) where I used to buy diet soda and the cookies I used to binge on. They're those bakery-made cookies in packs of 3, fresh every morning, and they come in 3 different varieties. I used to think of them as A, B & C cookies, where I had a definite preference for the A variety, liked just fine the B variety, and really did not like the C variety. I knew the morning patterns of that 7-11 very well: when the cookies arrived from the bakery, and when the store got packed with Hispanic day laborers buying their provisions for the day, mostly bottled water and sweets. The workmen seemed to prefer the A cookies as much as I did, 'cause there were rarely any left by 9 AM, and definitely none left by the afternoon....except on the occasional days when the workmen didn't show up. Like rainy days, wintry days.

So here I was, today, coming back from the p.o. and needing to buy something that was easy to pick up at that 7-11. I've been to that 7-11 a few times since I became binge-free in November, but not since I gave up diet soda. Now the cookies are displayed right on the counter between the two registers: you can't avoid being confronted with them. This would be the first time I'd have to stand there in front of the cookies without having my hands full with 6, 10, 12 bottles of diet soda. But I figured, "No big deal. It's afternoon on a nice day: the day laborers will have wiped out all the A cookies."

Instead, what happened was, I had to stand there for a looooong time, right in front of the cookie basket, because the guy ahead of me was buying all these complicated lottery & keno tickets, and guess what....there were three packages of the A cookies in the basket (!), more than enough, when combined with a couple packs of the B variety, for a good ol' fashioned Fiona binge. I couldn't take my eyes off those cookies! I could smell them right through the plastic! My mouth was literally watering! They were burning a hole in my consciousness! It hasn't been that long since I last ate them...only about 4 months! I wasn't thinking about will power, or about "brain over binge": all I could think about was those cookies.

But I didn't buy any. I purchased my item and left the store. When I got into my car, I just sat there for several minutes, shaking my head in amazement and thinking, "It's over. It's really over. I am no longer the slave of cookies." I used to buy other cookies, too, at other places, but if I had consciously set out to do so, I could not have devised a tougher test than the one I had just gone through.

Now I may buy an occasional organic vegan cookie (only 1 to a pack), but that's not in the same league. My bondage is over!!

It's incredible, just incredible...

Last edited by Fiona W; 04-04-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Ubee You about had me to tears!!! It means so much that you feel that I'm great for this group. I truly wouldn't be able to do it without you guys pushing me along. So as much as I may help you or anyone else in here, you guys really help me just as much!! <3

Larry Glad to see you are back!! And so glad to hear you're getting back on track! I hope your wife is feeling better!

Silent I was in shock when I tried those size 20 pants on. How does someone who weighs 306 lbs get into a size 20?? LOL!! The last time I was able to wear them I weighed about 280 maybe? When I tried the pants on this time my muffin top was hanging over too much to feel comfortable in them but the fact that I could still get them buttoned and zipped was a shocker for me!

Fi SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! Overcoming such a battle is HUGE!!!!! I am bowing down to you right now because that is such an achievement!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Today was a pretty good day. I had a salad out today so it wasn't as good as my home made salad but not the worst salad you could eve eat either. DH had eaten one of my salads I pre-made during the week and didn't tell me so I didn't discover it until morning. It was a good Friday at the office, nothing too stressful.

I just finished up my work out. Today was arms,chest,back. I'm pooped, but glad I got home and got it done and over with. Tomorrow I'm just going to do HIIT with no weight lifting.

I can't believe in 9 days it will be my monthly weigh in. I weigh in every week and keep track of it on here, but each month I put my new weight in my phone and keep a running tally that way. This will be my 3rd month!! Time is going by so fast!! I can't believe I have made it almost 3 months and have been able to successfully stay on track without having a major blow out!! That is HUGE for me!! I'm just keeping my head down the whole way and pushing through, and pushing hard!!! I'm hoping for my 3rd month weigh in I can reach my mental goal of 40 lbs lost. I only have 6.6 lbs left, and 2 weeks to lose the 6.6 lbs, so I think it's a realistic goal.

DH has been having back stomach acid today so he's been resting since I got home. I guess I need to try and wake him so we can figure out what to make for dinner. I have no clue what I want lol

I hope everyone else is doing well and was able to color in a full day on plan!!! Night everyone!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote