Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Betsy, I burst out laughing at the roll your eyes comment. Do we ever out grow our desire to do that. How did your lettuce get slimey? Confession time I had to give away some kale today because I am all done with kale for a year or two. Just think of how much exercise you would get in if you took a step every time Toby did.
Silent, so happy to hear that scales actually do move lower! Good for you! Lower carb is good. Going too low backfires too easily for me. Like I love to say progress not perfection!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #107  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks so much for the well wishes, y'all! Still havin' a rough time, but doin' better today than I was yesterday, which is the most I can expect from a little depressed period. I ate a small cup of my husband's muesli last night to help me get to sleep. That's something I really miss about carbos: the way they make me drowsy. But no cookies or other carbs, so I'm doin' fine, diet-wise. i missed a couple of days on my leg exercises, but tonight I got back into the swing and did a full 5 sets.

I wish I had enough energy to reply to everyone individually, but I just don't...

Thanks for callin' me Fi, Ubee! That's really what I go by. And in case anyone's wondering, it's pronounced "fee."

Rock those plans, y'all, and have a great weekend!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 310/310/250

Talking newbee

Hi all ,I'mnew here and i am sooo happy I found this site. You ladies are amazing in the way you support each other and help each other reach your goals.Iam sad to say iI have never had that before .
Thank you for being so nice and understanding
Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Morning all from a very groggy Betsy. Toby has had an upset tummy so I spent a good part of the night trying to get him outside in time before he had another "accident" on the rug. Poor baby has diarrhea and vomiting -- probably ate a stick or a rock or something. He is being pampered and I'm withholding food for the morning until I can make him something really bland.

SilentArctic -- you have more will power than I do. If I was at the 322ish, that ticker would be coming down faster than lightning. Good for you. I laughed at your dog sitting and not doing the housework......and freely admitting it wouldn't have gotten done anyway. And, yes, maybe carb moderation would be a better way to describe low carb -- although I'm amazed at how many carbs I'm allotted when I enter my food on myfitnesspal. Even my BIL who has Type II diabetes is allowed something like 45-60 grams PER MEAL. That's way more than I end up with each day, but at 50-100/day, it's way more than Fi has.

Ubee -- yes, eye rolling has stuck with me in spite of years of getting scolded for rolling my eyes growing up. The lettuce was just evidently not the freshest in the world to begin with even though I just bought the containers a couple of days ago. I should take it back, but since the store is 20 miles away, that kind of defeats the purpose of saving money buying lettuce in the big tubs if I spend more on gas. I love your idea of counting all of the steps that I take chasing Toby as a workout (notice how I changed your comment to benefit me!). I'm definitely taking a lot more steps than I used to chasing after him.

Fi -- Fi it is! Glad you're doing some better and hope the next few days see even more improvement. Thanks for checking in with us -- was wondering how you've been doing.

Sandruca -- welcome. Yes, this is a very supportive group and if I'm pushed for time, this is the only thread I'll visit on a day. Glad you've joined us -- tell us a little more about yourself.

I have given up trying to figure out when I'll lose weight and when I won't. It's been a slow week on weight loss, didn't have the best eating plan day yesterday, and woke up this morning 3 pounds lighter. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. Maybe the weight fairies think I needed a boost after a rough night. Maybe my body is in open rebellion. Who knows. But I'll take it and be thrilled with it.

It's rainy and gusty here, so just indoors stuff today, a trip to the local store to get some children's meds that I can give Toby if needed (pedialite in case the vomiting doesn't stop and bepto for his tummy). My vet said that the children's formulas are fine for puppies, but in smaller quantities. If all else fails, maybe I'll just take a nap later and risk not sleeping tonight. Have a good weekend.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #110  

Hi Chickies!
Fi, thanks for dropping by. I hope each day is better then the last.
Betsy, what did Mr. Toby get into? I am not sure we would really want to know! Good job being an attentive mama and woohoo on the 3 pounds lost. Most days I think weightloss is a mystery. No comments from the calories in calories out crowd please!
Welcome Sandruca! Sad to say I have never had this support before from people who are/have been 300+. I am happy to say I dropped down from 300+ many pounds ago and this will always be my home. Please share what you feel comfortable with so we can get to know you.
Well I am calorie cycling or resetting my metabolism or honestly eating too much. Remaining calm and being kind to myself.
How is everyone doing?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #111  
rockin' my 60s!

Unhappy

Ooooops... I was so busy fussing with the sail on my little boat, I failed to notice that the wind had come 'round. The sail suddenly filled, and I fell into the drink!

Sailing metaphors aside, what happened is that I went out in the wee hours of the morning and got three oatmeal-raisin cookies. Those evil cookies will be the death of me yet....

I really tried not to do it. Last night I told my sweet husband that I was suffering from a craving, and he made me the most beautiful, tasty Mexican omelet I think I've ever seen—stuffed with 4 kinds of Mexican cheese, jalapeño slices, and nopalitos (little yummy chunks of cactus that come in a convenient jar). That omelet held off my craving for a long time, but when I came wide awake around three AM, I succumbed.

But that was 52 days of abstinence. When I got this crazy idea to take a vacation from cookies, candy & donuts, I never dreamed I would make it past Hallowe'en, let alone 52 days.

What happened to undermine my resolve? Well, I have this Belgian e-mail friend... We met on Flickr through commenting on each other's art, and for several months now we've been corresponding with each other in French (much to my ongoing amazement, not to mention my hard work, learning a whole new language in my late 50s). She and I have never met in person, but we've become very good friends. And we've been planning a get-together here in Maryland, in early May 2014. I told her we could travel around, go to the beach for a week, go sailing, etc., and that I would pay for everything, if she could just buy her plane ticket. As y'all can well imagine, it's been a huge motivation for me to lose weight. However, I heard yesterday that our plans are falling through: she says now she can't afford to buy the ticket. Her financial picture may change, but still, it was a huge blow, when I was already suffering from a bit of depression... I just lost focus.

But I'll get it back. I ate the cookies before dawn, and now the sun is up, so already it feels like it happened yesterday. Today is a different day. I'm back on vacation from the evil C-word. Onward...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #112  

Good morning ladies -- hope everyone is doing well this morning.

Ubee -- Who knows what Toby got into. He's definitely at that stage of puppyhood where if he sees it, it goes in his mouth. He loves to chew on twigs, so he may have ingested too much twig or ate too fast or just had a puppy bug. He's back to normal in terms of acting like a puppy, and he was definitely not happy with having to wait for the rice to cool down enough for him to get breakfast this morning. So, I think it will be safe to take him into town later to get the replacement lettuce and go to Petsmart for dog food.

Fi -- glad your sailboat has righted itself and focusing on going 52 days seems like the right way to go. I've decided that I'm not going to ban anything from my eating plan, but that doesn't mean that I can have the big 3 whenever I want. So, going 52 days is a cause for celebration. And I love your thinking about having the cookie when it was dark, so it already feels like yesterday. Sorry about the friend's visit possibly falling through, but conversing in French -- WOW! Are you also speaking it as you go so that you'll be able to communicate when the visit does occur? Hopefully the visit will eventually work out -- if not next year then maybe 2015.

This week will be the start of Thanksgiving prep. I try to do a little something each day so that it doesn't all hit me at once. Today's activity is to get the new sheets and comforter onto the lower bunk in the boys' room so that they both have special sheets. Then it's into town, and home to hopefully take a long walk (or at least a long one for me). I'm trying to begin walking more without my cane which I've discovered I've needed more because with all this weight I tended to walk side to side -- also known as waddling -- instead of forward. But, it's slowly beginning to get better and my muscles and tendons are protesting somewhat over being used. Anyone else running into those issues?

Have a good day and look forward to chatting with everyone tomorrow. Anyone heard from Jane lately? Getting kind of worried that I haven't seen a post from her anywhere in several days now.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #113  

Good day!
Fi, 52 days without a cookie is amazing. That was quite a wind it hit me too. I was dumb enough to go into a candy store. The cravings are so strong today. I am sorry about your efriend not being able to visit. It is more motivating when you have an event to lose for. Maybe you could plan a trip to visit her in the future. I also find it amazing the things we can accomplish. I never would have thought I would come this far.
Betsy, I find it is much easier to walk on a treadmill. I use the sidebars to steady me. Also because of my weight we had to buy a deluxe one and it is also for runners so it has springs in it to help protect your knees.
The other day when Fi was imaging herself thin she said how people would get in her space. I noticed that yesterday. I was visiting someone and he came very close. It did not bother me but it would have if it was someone I was not comfortable with. Now I am curious because I have never been thin. Fi, I like how you keep us all thinking.
Jane has not been on since the end of Oct. I am concerned. I hope she is well.
How is everyone doing?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 380/ticker/180

Height: 5"9

Fi- love it! Will totally call you that from now on! And before you said it I just knew it was pronounced "fee"

Well ladies I was off from this site for a few days, not necessarily on purpose just kind of happened that way.

Poker was fun, didn't win but have entered a larger tournament for December 5 with 2 of my friends. (it's a fundraiser for another friend's baseball team, though she will be a dealer that night)

I've been painting some simple set/back drop pieces for my kids' play tomorrow.... One last thing to do tonight, and some finishing touches to put on tomorrow. Feel stupid that I forgot the basic rule of mixing paint (white first... then add colour UGH) took me like 30 minutes to get a shade of grey and it's really still darker than I wanted, but painting had to be done.

My computer at work today died. Windows became corrupt and the IT department took my PC to their office to install new Windows. No idea if my files will be rescued, but I only lost about the last month's worth of work... which all in all isn't too bad.

Tomorrow is an insane day for me, I'm doing a Drama workshop with the grade 7 class, then teaching my grade 12 English class, then final rehearsal for the play, lunch supervison, dress rehearsal with an audience, 80 minute prep to get ready for the final performance of my 'play' (really it's a mini play only baout 20-25 minutes long) then final performance and I will get to go home and rest (see pass out)

Then we have parent interviews this week and I'm the head contact for a 9-12 mandatory essay contest... that starts on Tuesday... *shakes head*

Weight loss? No idea what this week will bring, will be happy if I maintain. My stress level is super high and I know that's not good... but I will get back on track next week. At least I'm not bingeing!!!

well when I have some freedom I hope to give some more personal comments again, maybe by the weekend.... and to anyone still reading, Bravo...

Hope you all have a great day
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hi!

Fi Yes today is a new day and glad to hear the fog is clearing for you.

Betsy if I had the space I would get a treadmill. I get a better workout then when walking on the sidewalk and with snow in the air more so.

Ubee how is calorie cycling going?

I get so frustrated with how my weight fluctuates on the scale.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #116  

Good morning greetings from someone who is sitting here kicking herself. TWICE. Yesterday I had one of my you've-lost-weight-so-it's-ok-to-have-a-treat days which meant that I got some candy while at the grocery store. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. Topped off the day with some buttered popcorn AFTER having had a pretty good dinner. DUMBER! That's kick #1. Then this morning, Toby was whining and I did about 10 things that I thought he wanted. Well, the dog is finally getting the idea of letting me know he needs to go out, but I ignored the obvious and so he had an accident. DUMBEST. Hopefully, Toby will just take into account that I need better training. He's taking his morning nap now.

Ubee -- I have a treadmill downstairs, but am trying to walk outside more mainly because Toby needs the exercise as well. When I go to the gym, I use the elliptical -- helps the knees although I definitely feel it in my thighs. The main thing is we're all thinking about some sort of exercise!

Time4me -- Just got back from my nap after reading your post. I started to make out a list of what I needed to get done today, but decided that I wasn't that busy after reading what all you've got going on. Glad you had fun playing poker. I always loved playing poker, but everyone around here likes to play Bunko.....evidently allows for more talking (translates in our little town to more gossiping). With all you've got going on, you may be pleasantly surprised with the weight loss.

Pluckypear -- yep, weight fluctuations drive us all a little nuts. I just ignore them if they're under 5 pounds because I can gain that much in one day just from having a food that is on plan but has too much sodium. But it would definitely be nicer if there was just a downward slide with no ups to it.

Lots to do today. I have to sign up for my health insurance for next year which seems to consist of the approach of "you're going on Medicare next year, so you pay us a lot of money in premiums, but we're going to make sure that you don't file any claims at all." There's a $3,000 deductible and the insurance pays NOTHING until the entire deductible is taken care of and then only pays part until the maximum is reached. It's definitely due to going on Medicare, because I went in and changed my age back one year, and while the approach was the same, the deductible was about $1,000 instead of triple that. Things to do for the Co-op, need to balance my checkbook and pay a couple of bills and write a letter and I'm sure something else will crop up.

In the meantime, everyone have a good day.

Last edited by betsy2013; 11-18-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #117  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Betsey Toby is a fantastic name for a puppy! I should know, that's the name of my dog!

I'm playing catch up here, so it'll take me awhile to read old posts. I'm still struggling with kidney pain. I go back to the doctor's today. I seem to have an infection that won't clear up. I've decided this isn't a good reason to stop doing all the things I was doing to get healthier, and so today I decided I needed to get back at it.

Just went for the world's wimpiest swim. Clearly I'm out of practice!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #118  

Hi CHickies!
Yes! Jane is back!!!! Hope you feel better soon. We missed you!
Time4me, are you always this busy?
Plucky, you are singing my song today. My weight has gone up 8 pounds in the last two weeks. I like Betsy's idea about the salt. Anyhow I did fall off the wagon but after it happening so many times I just jumped back on.
Betsy, you didn't do anything dumb. The dumb thing would have been to throw in the towel with one slip up. Don't worry Toby will have you trained in no time. That stinks about your insurance. With the price of medical care they sure have us over a barrel. Good luck!
Jane, I have not exercised for a couple of weeks so I will join you on a wimpy exercise day.
Fi, I'm thinking of you.
Yesterday I decided I can never be one of those people that say "I will never eat that way again." I have to keep an eye open for my old ways till my last breath. I can slip back in no time. The important thing for me to learn is that it is never too late to stop when I do slip up.
How is everyone doing?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #119  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubee View Post
Yesterday I decided I can never be one of those people that say "I will never eat that way again." I have to keep an eye open for my old ways till my last breath. I can slip back in no time. The important thing for me to learn is that it is never too late to stop when I do slip up.
Welcome to the club. Ever vigilante, I suppose.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #120  
rockin' my 60s!

Another day of Atkins. My recent slip-up doesn't seem to have affected my motivation and resolve, but I'm having some of the dizziness and generally ill feelings that I have whenever I break the diet. You really do switch into a completely different metabolism (the ketosis version) on Atkins "induction" (less than 20 carb. grams a day), such that doing something like eating three cookies throws your body for a loop, and puts you in the position of feeling kinda crappy again until your body gets back in the swing of ketosis. All the more motivation to stick with my plan, because I feel great and have lots of energy, both mental & physical, when I'm in that ketosis mode!

I'm still pretty busted up about my Belgian friend, about the fact that it doesn't look like she's coming to visit me in May 2014. But being here at 3FC is so helpful, I figure, why not just keep shooting for as much weight as I can hope to get off by my 60th birthday. That event, at least, is going to happen in February 2015, no matter what!

Jane— It's great to see you back! Sorry to hear you're still having pain, but good for you that you've realized your infection, etc., is no reason to short-change your goals in other areas of your health. As for the "world's wimpiest swim," I read a great bit in Brooke Castillo's book (If I Am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?): she says that in order to undertake any kind of exercise, you've got to be ready to SUCK at it in the beginning. You've got to be ready to suck at it, and then suck at it some more, before finally you start being passably competent, and then it'll still take a while before you're good at it. Isn't that true of everything worth doing in life? =grin= We all start as incompetent beginners, no matter what the endeavor is.

Ubee— Thanks so much for your support! Is calorie cycling the thing where you have some days of the week when you have more calories, some days when you have less? I've heard good things about that system as a way of making sure your body doesn't get used to a certain number and then go into lower-metabolism mode. As for the candy store, man, I have to really limit my exposure to that kind of temptation. Just going to the grocery store is a big challenge for me, because there's so much stuff I like to eat but cannot eat. If I were to go into a donut shop, for example, I'd be goners. No way am I going to do that!

Betsy— I notice that you're always really busy with a lot of activities (like getting things ready for Christmas)...It's great that you have the energy, but are you getting enough "me" time? It's so important, when you're trying to lose weight and avoid emotional eating, to set aside time that is just for you. For one thing, it reduces your overall stress level to have that time when you relax and do something quiet and selfish. And the less stress you're under, the less you are prone to "nourish" yourself with unhealthy foods. And not only that: "Me" time is essential for developing a good long list of things you do for yourself that are soothing, that nurture you. The more you know about how to nurture yourself and give yourself emotional nourishment, the better-armed you will be when tempted by candy or whatever, because you'll be able to say, "I don't need that candy bar to make myself feel good. I can take a relaxing bath, or read a book, or listen to music, or... or..." Just a thought...

pluckypear— If you're getting frustrated with perfectly normal weight fluctuations, why not back way off on how often you weigh yourself? I only weigh myself once a month. Maybe that sounds too radical at first, but surely no one needs to weigh themselves more often than once a week. Any more often than that is just an invitation to getting obsessed with the scale. Look around 3 Fat Chicks, and you'll see lots of people whose obsession with the scale is making them batty. And remember your body always fluctuates within a 4-pound range, due to water content alone. I recommend, too, that you make a graph of your weight over time, so you can pay more attention to the overall trend, and less to the number on any one day. I have a graph on my fridge, and I love to look at it when I'm feeling low, because the trend is consistently downward. Oh, I almost forgot to ask: any news on your path report?

Melissa— Sorry to hear you're so stressed out! Even if it's just 15 minutes out of every day, try to schedule some time that is just for you, not for your job, not for anyone else. See what I said to Betsy about the benefits of getting your "me" time... Good luck!!

silentarctic— What's up? We miss you when you don't check in...

Angie— 'Haven't heard from you in a few days...whazzup?

sandruca— Please join in! The more you post, the longer your postings are, the more support you get! =grin= Tell us about your plans, hopes, fears, whatever...

Last edited by Fiona W; 11-19-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Closed Thread