Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #121  
the muse of memory

Heya Summerblossom! I visited Sweden (briefly! - just Stockholm) last year. But spent a few more days in Copenhagen, so I got to see Malmo across the bridge. Had a lovely time, though I am not much of a fan of herring, pickled or otherwise. Also: things are so SPENDY there. And there are some aggressive bike riders.

Anyway, welcome! Your daughter's health is a great motivation, and hopefully you will be able to get good support from your husband and kids. I just made it into the 200s last month, so I know exactly how you feel.

If your feet are covered with blisters, I wonder about your shoes! I would look into new or different sneakers, I just don't think they should rub your feet like that unless you are going marathonning or close to it. Ordinary fitness walking should not give you blisters!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #122  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi Summerblossom and welcome. I particularly like this forum as having so much weight to lose I confess I get a bit green with envy at the chicks who START lower than my goal weight!!
I always have the impression of Sweden as somewhere where it rains alot and everybody speak amazing English??? Is this right or another media generalisation??
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #123  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Summerblossom -- I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, but good for you on getting better for her and giving her an even MORE incredible mom to look up to. She needs you for guidence and a happy, healthy life. You've already taken a huge step and it'll only get better from here. I agree on the fact that you more than likely need new shoes. They shouldn't be given you blisters...your feet may hurt, but it shouldn't be that bad.

mnem - Yeah, when I started I was a size 30. I'm now a size 28...which really 28s are too big for me but I have at least 5-10 lbs to go before I get to a 26. And I lost weight before and when I got down to 290 I was a 24. So once I'm here it's easier to get down to a smaller size.

I actually took some pictures of me in this sweater shirt that you're supposed to be able to wear tights in. I wore it at my heaviest in January and it was pretty tight didn't fit right. I took a picture yesterday of me in it and it is CONSIDERABLY bigger. I was taking pictures and not really seeing anything, and I don't know why it took this long, but I'm so thankful for it. It gives me more incentive to stay on point and exercise.

Speaking of which...I've retired from walking for right now. It's not fun to me. I feel like it's a chore...even with my ipod on. I bought these Rock Your Body dvds (Shaun T) a whileeee ago and never used them again because they were too hard for me. Well I tried it again last night, and it's actually fun! Maybe because now I'm no longer huffing and puffing and falling over myself and still working up quite a sweat! I'm going to use these for a while. I also think I burn more calories with these.

Justwant2 - You're right. I'm going to do my best and fill up on the healthier options with a piece of meat. Also, I found out my friend is having a veggie tray and Lil Ceaser's pizza...I really don't like that pizza...so I'll be good on what I'm eating then.

I really just have to say I enjoy talking to you girls and hearing your stories and sharing mine. I really never felt like I related to anyone, with so many people losing such little weight than me. But you give me a place to really vent and congratulate myself or just to talk. I love it.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 311/287/250

Height: 5'1

Thank you all for the welcome...

Congrats mnemosyne on making it to the 200s!!
and yes it's very expensive here and the bike riders are horrible LOL.. but there are a few good things around here to balance it out hehe

mountain walker most swede's here under 50 can speak English and we sure do have our fair share of rain I sooo long for the hot Toronto weather in Canada..I hope to make a trip there next summer and maybe, just maybe by then I wont have to ask for a seat belt extension so embarrassing!!

watchoutforthatcar thanks for your kind words and yes I definitely needed a new pair of shoes which I went out and got after I got all the lovely blisters so I'm trying to wait for them to heal before I can wear them.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #125  
the muse of memory

car - those pictures are great motivation, and I think you've made the right call about walking, if you just cannot stand it, it's better to find something that you like doing. Walking is good for me; I have a treadmill in my dining room right now and can watch episodes of Farscape on Netflix while I walk. But! I am not being as good about exercising the first thing in the morning, which is the best for me, so I might dig out some exercise videos and see if those help. I have one somewhere combines Hawaiian dance with exercise. Not that I can dance, but.

Oh, and how fun will it be to wear your sweater shirt and tights THIS winter, knowing how far you've come.

And, heh. I agree. I am always a bit depressed when I read someone's great and terrible revelation about how on EARTH did they EVER let themselves get to X weight. And X weight is my current, hard-won weight, or even some vaguely distant goal. Mind, I've always been overweight so I don't really have that mindset about it; I'm just sorry that I never managed to keep going with past efforts. Well, not this time.

Summerblossom - I have to say, I am envious of your long hair! I have never been able to grow my hair too long. It is very, very fine and doesn't have much body. And the ends break like you would not believe. I am going to dig out a picture of myself and post it somewhere this weekend. The only ones I really have right now are from May, so it might be a few months out of date, but eh. The before will be good.

Anyway, I am from the below the Mason-Dixon line in the States, so it makes me laugh to hear Toronto called hot (hahaha), and after the summer we've had I would LOVE to have whatever sort of summer they have in Scandavia.

I hope your feet are healing nicely from the blisters, yuck.

I had to get my car inspected today, and it requires all sorts of work. Ugh! I think this means I will not be rewarding myself with a cut-and-color for a little while. That's okay, it was supposed to be my reward for getting under 300, and if I haven't done it yet I may not really want to do it. In total, I think the repairs will be... $600. Or so. Also apparently the manufacturer suggests replacing the struts at 50k miles. Which I am not doing, since it would cost $1000 and the mechanic says they look fine to him.

Aside from that, my day is going well. Dropped the car off at the mechanic and walked to work. I stopped at the bagel place and got a bagel with low-fat cream cheese. Ate half for breakfast and will either throw away the other half or eat it for lunch. Is it my imagination, or are strangers nicer to me now?

My weight loss is going well. It is just clicking right now! I wanted to get to 290 lb in August and managed it. If I make it below 280 I will officially weight less than my driver's license says I weigh.

(The 275 lb goal on my ticker was what I thought my driver's license said I weighed, but apparently it is 280. So I am even closer to my first 'real' goal than I thought. )
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #126  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

SUMMERBLOSSOM ~ to another Canadian on board. It has been hotter in Toronto and here this summer (but I still feel sorry for our American friends that are getting over 100 F). Today, it was in the low 90's F or 30's C, and very humid; and I live in northern Ontario -- go figure. Thank goodness, it cools down at night.

MEM ~ congrats at reaching so many of your goals; over 80 lbs lost; and reaching your driver's license weight is another one; getting under 300 lbs is a milestone for sure. Good idea to walk to work while the car is getting repairs; it may encourage you to do it even more, if you enjoy it.

Yes, I have noticed that people are a mite more friendly since I have lost the weight too; some say we are more outgoing but honestly, I'm talking about those that say "HI" or approach me first now. I have to admit that DH gets a wee bit "irritated" when a guy says HI to me (well, it happens a lot, but I warned him becuz I worked in a lot of jobs here where the majority of workers were men and they know me, so I'm not going to be rude to them). I keep it to a nod or wave. DH is having to grow a bit right now ...

CAR ~ I find the pictures a great inspiration to myself too; and others are encouraged by them as well, so that's an extra bonus for sure. Glad you like the exercise dvds; some nice NSV's there too (the clothes and exercise).

Quote:
I confess I get a bit green with envy at the chicks who START lower than my goal weight!!
MOUNTAIN ~ I think we all feel that a bit; and like MEM says, esp those that have under 50 lbs to lose, but at least we are learning this time ...

We will be having a very light dinner tonight since it is so hot & humid here today; don't want to heat the kitchen up too much. Think I'll have salad & something; and DH may have a MW meal (but he doesn't mind). Have a great OP Friday everyone ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #127  

mnemosyne thank you for the hair compliments

and I have to say I'm guilty of saying I'm x amount of weight and complaining about it. I should have been more sensitive to others cause I too have felt depressed listening to someone smaller than me going on in the same manner. So if I've offended anyone i'm so very sorry. I know how hard it is to lose weight I've always been overweight and I've never ever been able to lose any of it. I've quit any diet I have ever tried. I just hope I'm ready to change my pattern at this point in my life...

So on a different note I went swimming with my daughter and my sons girlfriend tonight for 2 hours and I had a great time. I've been here 4 years and it's the first time I got myself to go to the public pool so hopefully I'll try and spend more time their now.

I hope all of you are enjoying your week! xo
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #128  

Hello Justwant2Bhealthy thank you for the welcome. I certainly hope it cools down for everyone I'll try and send some of my cold weather your way lol
Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #129  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

lost another pound! 2 more pounds till I am out of the 300's. Too excited for words! I've been working hard and I deserve it.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #130  

Hi there Laura

that's fantastic, Congratulations!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #131  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Laura -- That's great! You're blowing through this weight loss! Keep it up.

Summer - I agree with the others that your hair is just beautiful! The length, and also it looks super healthy.

Soooo...I live in Kentucky and are estimated of having up to 7 inches of rain because of issac. So, I'll be snuggled up in bed enjoying it. As long as it doesn't get out of hand I really love rain. And we need it because we're in a drought. Of course my heart goes out to all of those further south that had to endure the storm as a hurricane.

I've had a really good week! I stayed on point. I actually enjoyed some fried chicken last night (I don't have it much anymore) and the scales are still showing a loss today.

I'm at work and about to clock in. Just 8 hours are standing in the way of me and a three day weekend. Woo hoo! I'm gonna do my exercise when I get home and then relax. My off days on exercising is sat/sun.

I hope you gals have a fabulous day and weekend if some of you don't get on!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #132  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Laura you are doing so well....keep it up!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

See you in the September thread!
Closed Thread