Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #1  

Default 300+ Weekly Thread #1265

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We know the thread can move very quickly, and that people often make "personal" remarks and keep a number of conversations going. Please feel free to contribute even if you can't make personal comments all the time.

Finally, we also have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, Photos, Exercise, Info for Getting Started and more. Many of these threads are stickied at the top of the page. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #2  

Happy Monday and Memorial Day all!

I am back from camping and had a wonderful time. The new camper was a blast and the talk of the campers in the area. We had some t-storms on Friday night that were bad, but my sister/her BF/BF's son/BF's sister were snug in their tents and I was in my camper. It didn't start raining until after supper. Sister made some awesome burgers with onion bits that were very tasty. BF's son turned 10 yrs old and we sang Happy Bday. Sis had made chocolate cake for him. Good thing I didn't want "death by cake" while camping and didn't have any. I had some gluten-free choc cupcakes that worked just as well for something a little sweet.

Saturday was great and despite the weatherman saying storms were coming, they never did. Swam in the lake (new swim suit) and had a blast. The water was cold and air was hot. I sent out swimming thoughts to Annie!

After showers, my baby sister (camp chef) cooked chicken, home grown taters and made a salad. I had a few of her taters, man, can she spice things nicely! My food was more protein based and chicken breast doesn't go down easy, so I made some hot dogs (sans buns) for me. It never stormed, btw. BF's son got scared and ended up sleeping in the back of my Rav4 with a flashlight on. He wore out 3 flashlights this weekend.

Sunday, my parents brought my 9 yr old niece and my sister's BF's dad joined us. The BF's sister left for some shopping therapy elsewhere. Got into the lake swimming again. Guess we were in a while cuz my sunscreen must have started wearing off. I gots a wee burnt on meh nose and legs. The sun on my legs came from reading my book in my chair as we relaxed after swimming. Sister chef made seasoned steaks, corn on the cob and salad for all of us. Very tasty! The kids got a 2nd wind and went fishing, then swimming again. About 630p, we built a fire despite the heat of the day and made s'mores. We had promised the kids. I didn't indulge. I'm not a huge fan of marshmellows and the wheat in the graham crackers stopped me. I did have a square of chocolate. Niece and parents left.

Got up on Monday and tossed my few camp boxes and clothes into the truck (after tossing out the sleeping 10 yr old). The camper hooked up perfectly and I was ready to go before the first tent was cleaned and down on sister's side of the camp! LOL.

Amazing, the traffic wasn't too bad coming back into DC and I got home about 2pm. The grass decided to grow elebenty more feet while I was gone, so I unpacked everything, picked up doggie poo and mowed the lawn. A nice cold shower afterwards was heaven! The dogs stayed at home because we were at a lake and I didn't want to share a bed with lake-smelling wet goldens. My neighbor watched the doggies, parrot and psychokat. Evil psychokat is still hanging on.

I'm sunburnt and happy.

Special hugs to our Military and more hugs to all my peeps here!
Ratkity
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #3  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Well, well Rat! Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I would love to have a camper and a big truck to haul it with. Actually I have a Mazda Tribute which would probably do just fine. Now all I need is a camper

Glad that you stayed on the wagon and didn't decide to fall off!

I'm still hanging in there! I have my days but who doesn't? My mom and I are going on a little day trip tomorrow. One of my dearest friends' grandmother passed away Sunday and we are going to be with them. She just called and invited us to a dinner that is being given by the church. I am in the south where things are made with lots of grease and butter. I intend to stay as OP as possible! I guess that's why there is such an attachment between food and emotions! Someone dies, everybody eats, someone has a baby, everybody eats, someone has a birthday, everybody eats! Good grief! Anyway, I'm gonna try to stay on the wagon as best I can!!

Happy Memorial Day to you all and I hope you have a lovely week!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Rat – Can I take your sister camping with me? I might actually go! Sounds like a GREAT weekend! Congrats!! And excellent choices on food!

ThinMint – good luck with the funeral feasting. That can be hard. Especially since that kind of situation tends to be a grazing time. You can do it!!!

We laid flags on veteran’s graves on Saturday morning. Then went to the pool for many hours. Awesome!!! Did some laps in the lazy river and some just general playing with hubby and the kids. Took the neighbor’s kids, too. Four of the five of them!

Sunday – church where they recognized graduates, including hubby. They had cake after. Wasn’t even tempted. Then we went to the pool! After being lazy for a little while. Had to leave at 6 when they lost power. Went home and took a “nap.” Woke up at midnight. To find out that the mechanic had called and we need to replace our van. One of the main strut supports is rusting out. When it goes, the van will lose all control.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is selling her van, so we are test-driving it right now. Just need to have the brakes checked.

Today – we went to my brother and sister-in-law’s house for a cookout. Nice time with family. Food is going well. Need to keep working on exercise.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #5  

Thin, this camper is teeny tiny and my Rav4 can pull it easily. You can see it at www.littleguyrt.com. It's called a reverse teardrop. Really just a bed with lotsa airflow and a powerful fan and a dvd media center. I got some chili pepper patio lights and draped the over the little thing. So cute! One of the things about my WLS is that I only absorb 20% of fat I eat. If I don't eat things in butter or grease, I'll get constipated.. hehe. My cholesterol has dropped 50 points in 3 months.

Basket, oh my about the van! Sorry about the expense, but at least you know that the current one is unsafe and can do something about it before you get into an accident. Yay for no cake for you too!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I am going to get past this mental block and get the weight off. Its been a year that I have been stuck at this size.
My plan...is to eat only veggie and fruit based carbs. Eat lots of grilled and baked protien. Eat often... drink at least 128 ounces of water a day.Im even debating about cutting out my sweetner. Increase my walking distance and either lift weights or jump on the minitramp 3 times a week.I plan on exercising for at least 2 solid hours on m-w-t. I would love to join in the bl group going on in our town but just cant afford it. Its 150 up front, just cant do it right now....so im doing it on my own.
ITs a new month and a fresh start. Got a plan??
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #7  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Good morning lovely new friends! I hope you're all feeling well on this wonderful 1st day of June!! Dgramie is on the mark with a new month, fresh start!

I'm SO excited it's almost summer break for my Lily (just finishing 3rd grade). At this time of year, I think I get summer fever as much as she does! I work full time as a nurse in a hospital, and during the summer I work 3 12 hour shifts every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. My husband is off on those days, so doing that avoids having to send her to pricey day camps all summer long. I sorta hate missing out on some of the weekend festivities of the summer, but then again, I love having Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri off every week to hang out at the pool and library with my kidlet. It's always a great bonding time for us! Of course hubby and I will have very few days off in common with each other till fall, but those weekends with Mom away are really good for their bonding time, too. Plus we are going to the beach in NC for a week in July, so that will be a nice time of the whole (little) family enjoying each other. Lily is also going to her first sleep away summer camp this year for a week! I'm looking forward to a nice hot relaxing summer!

Ratkitten, your camping trip sounds like an absolute BLAST! I am a camping girl at heart, but haven't been at all in recent years because hubby is kind of a priss and just doesn't like it. I'm sometimes tempted to just take Lily and go, but then we just don't have any equipment, and I think I'd be kinda nervous just the 2 of us girls. Oh well, at least he likes the beach!!

Basketcase, I see you live in Hilliard -- we are in Worthington - neighbor! When you mentioned the lazy river, I was wondering if you are going to Zoombezi Bay or if your local pool has a lazy river? If you are going to Zoombezi, how is it? I haven't been yet. I guess I'm a little nervous about being the fat girl there. I have a level of comfort at the pool we go to, and I guess I'm scared to branch out. Lily has been with other family members, and I know she would love to go. And since she's a "ride chicken", I know she won't be pressuring me to go on the big slides. But I LOVE a lazy river, and so does she. Will I feel like the beached whale amongst all the teenage bikini girls, or are there others like me there? I hate to let my weight get in the way of summer fun!

Thinmintintraining, I'm sorry for your friend's loss. I swear, if I lived in the South I would be twice as big as I am now! All that fried chicken, fried seafood, omg! Once in my 20's I was doing this really stupid almost fat-free diet (lots of carbs, totally unbalanced). I lost 80 lbs and was below 200 for the first time since high school. Well, one week in New Orleans and that diet was never to be heard of again. I sure had a GREAT time, though! My relationship with food is improving, but I sure know to stay out of New Orleans till I get a better handle on things! hahahahahaaha

Geez I am long winded! Hope you guys don't mind a new 'talker' on your thread! Have a great day, guys!

Last edited by shannonmb; 06-01-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi, Shannon! Actually two years ago Hilliard remodeled one of their pools and it is awesome! They have a 573ft Lazy River (10 laps = >1 mile!), two huge water slides, 1 small water slide, a completely separate and very fun kiddie pool, and a separate competition pool. It is fabulous! We go and never see our kids (9 and 12) until break time. My husband is a teacher so we are all available during the summer. Very fun.

Rat - your camper looks like fun! I would prefer camping like that to tent camping. But, I will miss out on a few more Cub Scout camping trips until I wean off the CPAP. No electric at the campsite!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #9  

Dang basket.. I'm jealous of your "pool" and lazy river!

I'm a water rat from way back and am old enough not to care wtf other people think while I'm in a bathing suit. It is a modest suit with a skirt-type thingie.

I was at home with the rest of the rednecks at the park this weekend. How can I be self conscious when a not-skinny woman (but not MO) with a partial mastectomy could get in her swim suit and have a good time in the water? Oiy, the white redneck skin was reflective (including mah legs)!! hehe.. had to wear shades.

Much fun was had by all!

Welcome shannon (can't rem if I did that). I agree, new month and a new start. Deb we can make the right choices!!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Happy Tuesday...

Well yesterday we went up North to Lakeside AZ. It is about a 3 hour ride. We let our oldest Drive. Hubby was up front just incase. he has been driving over a year but this was his first out of town trip. I sat in the back with my youngest. i did ok til we got into the mountains. UGH! I had to stop in a town and buy imodium. I think he made me nervous.

It was a nice 78 degrees with pine trees smells and wind rippling past my nose. I swear I could be a happy camper living in that.

Now off to work. I am so not looking forward to it
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Morning folks. I just got home from work, 5-10am shift, and got my bangs trimmed on my way home. There's a salon across the street from my building, which is so convenient. Graduation is this Friday, and although I don't care about the ceremony, I want to look nice for the photos.

In good news, I bought a couple of new bras yesterday: a strapless for the wedding I'm in this summer, and a pretty black one that's supportive and versatile. Frustrating to shop for, but glad to have them. In other good news, I'm smartening up this month... I've slacked off the last week, and although I wouldn't say I blew it, I just haven't been as careful or as active as I should have been. No big deal, just time to crack down a little more and be more diligent.

Rat - Lol at the reflective skin thing... mine's like that too, but it makes me happy (no sunburns for this chick!) Also sending love to the evilkitty, glad to hear she's hanging in there.

Shannon - Summer fever, I hear that. I'm taking another weekend this month to go home and swim. Just gotta be in the water!!! I can't wait until this August when I'm moving home to my family's house, and will be able to swim whenever I please. How exciting that your little girl is going to her first sleep-away camp this summer! That'll be hard, and rewarding, for both of you I'm sure!

Thinmint - Jealous jealous jealous of your Mazda... mmm... my first car was a Mazda 626 and I loved it. The Tribute is one of the prettiest SUVs on the market, in my opinion.

dgramie - Love that you're taking the new month as a fresh start and reassessing/recommitting to your plan. Good for you

azcyn - Ohh how I remember the days of practicing driving. Even though I was a good driver then, I got a lot better once the nerves of having my mom in the car wore off.

Sorry if I missed any one!

Last edited by neonwildflower; 06-01-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Still hovering at 303lbs-304lbs. But at least I haven't gained any weight, so I am happy about that.

My appetite has been very low lately. Kind of weird. Maybe I am not eating enough? Or eating too late in the evening when I do eventually get hungry?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 327/318/165

Height: 5'7

Hey ladies, hope everyone is recovering from the long weekend well!

I didn't weigh in today because of my crazy scale so I'll wait until I can weight at the Dr office later in the week-hopefully it is still going down! I made my first exercise goal for June and I started out this morning by getting up and taking two 3 year olds and a 1 yr old to the local amusement park and walked my butt off for about 2 1/2 hours-they wore me out! I love living so close bc we can go for 2-3 hours at a time which is perfect for that age.

I am going to try to start walking every night after dinner with hubby & our dogs. I really want to make exercise & being active I actually want to do everyday!

Have any of you girls ever tried Zumba? I keep toying around with the idea of buying the DVDs bc I love to dance but have no idea if it is something I can even do at 280+lbs.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #14  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

Hey guys! I'm exhausted from painting all day! Just a quick one!

neon - where do you buy your bras? I buy mine from Addition-Elle because there isn't much other choice, but they constantly break (wire pokes through).
Old 06-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hello Everyone,

Happy Tuesday....Night. tee hee.

Today is the first day that I have felt good in a loooong time. Been having chest pains and pms and ugh. Today the sun was out...hmmm wonder if there is a connection to me feeling better today.

I was so excited this afternoon I was about to head out the door when the surgeon's office that did my RNY called and said that last month they had such a great response from my speaking they were wondering if I could please come and do it tonight? They also said that the Dr. has put into play something he calls "Pennings Bucks" His name is Dr. Pennings. lol. They are super cute. It is basically a $50 with his face on it instead of the real president. On the reverse side it says payment for lecture on 6/1/2010. You can use them for any product or service in his office. EXCITED MUCH!!! He has smart lipo. Granted it would take a bunch of Pennings Bucks to pay for the one I want him to do on my extra chin skin. lol. but, I am so excited. It made me super excited more than anything that they said I really helped a lot of people last time.

Tonight I spoke along with 2 other ladies and afterward a woman told me I was her hero. She was crying and so upset because she didn't have any support from her husband about the whole process. She weighed more than 400 pounds and was about 5'2". I really felt for her and know pretty much what she is going through. She gave me her email address and asked me to please email her some before and after photos so she could show her husband. I did it and hope with all my heart it helps her regardless of her having surgery or not I just want her to have hope and go towards health. Then after that conversation a rather large gentleman said he is going to use me as his role model. He said he will go to the support groups to model after me and that I gave him hope that if I can do it anyone can. He said he actually feels hopeful finally. Then a cute 70 year old lady came up to me and asked me if she could give me a hug? Of coarse I hugged her and she told me she is just so thankful that she came tonight when I was speaking.

I am so excited that God is using me to help other people. Even if it gives them hope for a while. Sometimes that hope will carry us through to the next hurdle.

I had such a great day today. I spoke to my husband about us and about our lives and stuff and it feels like he really wants to work on us.

I have decided, (I think) to go to Esthetician school. It starts on June 22 and I am getting excited about all of the fun stuff I will learn like, eyelash tinting and extensions in addition to all of the other skin care stuff that I maybe able to help other people. Hopefully I am making the right decision for me and Joel's future.

In the meantime, I will continue to speak as often as I am allowed, not just for the money. I was doing it for free but I will do it for as long as they will have me. It helps me to stay on target too.

I know I have rambled on about myself but I am just so darn excited by the high I feel helping other people that I had to share it with you guys.

Thanks for letting me blurt it all out. I missed you all and will try to not be so scarce.

Welcome to all the new people.

Rat: Your camp trip sounds heavenly!

Yoga for me tomorrow along with a good long walk hopefully.

Blessings all,
Annie
Closed Thread