Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2

Default Conservative Couch to 5K

Hey, everybody!

I haven't been lurking around these boards for too very long so please forgive me if this has already been covered, but I was wondering if anyone here has done the Couch to 5K program. A friend of mine did it last year, but it was hard for me to go very far in the program. Being as heavy as I am, my knees and ankles hurt and I was worried about really hurting myself.

Last night, though, I found a "conservative" version of it. It lasts 28 weeks instead of the usual 9, and begins with simple walking.

Has anyone had experience with this program before? How did you like it?
Is there anyone interested in doing the program along with me? I'm planning on starting today, and I would love to have some company throughout this 7 month commitment!

Kelli

Last edited by ThisYear; 01-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 6"

Hi, Kelli! That sounds interesting. Can you share where you found it? I want to do the Couch to 5k but figure I have to wait until I'm a little more fit to start it. I tried last year and walking even a block was really tough. I felt like such a failure.

Maybe the conservative version would work better for me. Wanna do it together?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #3  

Yes, I would love to do it together. I didn't get to start today like I planned so if you want to pick a day we could start together. I don't have enough posts to put a link up yet, but I found it at beginnertriathlete.com Click on the "programs" icon at the top, then scroll down to Couch to 5K (conservative). If you can't get to it this way feel free to PM me and I'll send you the program. Looking forward to it!

Kelli
Old 01-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #4  

I found it. It looks kind of scary but I think I can do it with the help of a buddy.

So we're in week 1? We both missed that first Tuesday but that's OK we'll start tomorrow.

Week 1
Tues - 0/10
Thurs - 0/15
Sat - 0/10
Sun - 0/15

28 weeks lands in about mid July. I could be in good enough shape to walk the 5k in the Beach to Chowder Run this June, in Long Beach, WA! One of my goals is to be able to run the 10k on the beach. This year I would be very happy with walking the 5k through the dunes.

Anyone else want to join in the fun?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #5  

What a coincidence, I am hoping to do a 5K in June as well. There are a couple here right around my birthday and this gives me something to shoot for.
Wow, do you live in WA? Are you going to be using a treadmill or walking outside? I know it's crazy cold here and I'm in AR! lol

Good luck. Let me know how it goes tomorrow!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Height: 5'9"

HI Girls,
I'd like to join you if I may. I live in Washington too so I'll be doing mine on a treadmill til the weather gets better.

I'll go check out the site now.
Let me know when you plan on starting. Maybe we can get Heather to make this a sticky so we can keep it at the top and get more people interested.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #7  

Hi, Debbie. Sure, we would love to have you join us. We are planning on starting tomorrow with Thursday of week 1. But feel free to jump in anytime!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #8  

Hi, Debbie! The more the merrier!

I used to live in Long Beach, WA but had to move back to the Portland, OR area after my step-dad was diagnosed with cancer. I am 37, mother of 5, currently work from home but will be opening a store soon. I will be using a treadmill for now-- very cold and wet here.

Debbie, where in WA are you? Want to do the 5k with me?
funbeach.com/events/beachrun/index.html

Kelli, when is your birthday? Mine is June 19th.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #9  

My birthday is the 10th. I'm 26, mom to my 2 Boxers. Grew up in TX but live in AR now. Looks like I'll be doing it outside for as long as possible. I have a stationary bike but not a treadmill yet.
Although, I'm hoping to either buy an elliptical or just join a gym in a few months. But by then it'll be spring! I do need to come up with a Plan B for bad weather. Its supposed to ice over tonight, so I can't walk or run on that! Not sure what I'll do then. Maybe use a visitor's pass to my boyfriend's gym.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Did I miss where it explains what we do?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #11  

Were you able to find the chart? This month is walking only. You simply walk to number of minuts listed in the column for that day. Today would be walking 15 minutes according to the chart. Do feel free to change the days. Just make sure you get that rest day in between.

Next month, we will begin running. For example, Tuesday of Week 1 of next month says 28/2. We walk 28 min and run 2. It says in the paragraph above it I think that you can split that up however you like. Oh, and don't forget the warm-up/cool-down.

Well, I'm going to wait another couple of hours for it to warm up a bit and then I'll be off for my walk!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #12  

Here is the page it's on. (You'll have to copy and paste the URL below. We are too new to post links.)

beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=27&printer=1
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #13  

Week 1
Tues - 0/10
Thurs - 15/15
Sat - 0/10
Sun - 0/15

I'm sore. Took some Alive. I plan to take it easy tomorrow and will hit the treadmill Sat and Sun. How did you gals do?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #14  

It was sleeting so I did a Leslie Samsone video instead of my 10 min walking. It's definately not the same as actually walking, but a longer length so hopefully it won't set me back. I'm still hurting a bit from pulling every major muscle from my rear end to my foot last week. (got tangled in my 100lb dog's leash and he bolted) otherwise, i'm feelin good to be starting something
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #15  

Good job, Kelli!

I had to break the walk into 2 segments. I was winded and hurting. It might have been easier if I started with the 10 min on Tues. 5 minutes is my comfort zone, beyond that is pain. I knew this one would be hard for me but I'm giving it all I can.
Closed Thread