Old 08-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #1  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Newbie too...

Hi everyone!!!

I was on here last October very briefly. I ended up getting pregnant and just delivered my last child (another boy) almost 7 weeks ago. I have always battled my weight and last September my hubby and I joined 24 hr fitness! I had a trainer and bought the Bodybugg to help me know where I was in the calorie deficit. I lost 18 lb in 5-6 weeks. Then I got PG with Lincoln and I quit. I gained 10 lb with him and have since lost all of that weight plus another 11 lb.

So now I move on to the major goal, down to 250 by Christmas and down under 200 in 1 year. I am ditching my trainer, he's a new one, because he doesn't know crap (I know more than he does ).

I am thinking about doing the Biggest Loser Club in addition to the bodybugg (love this thing!!!). I am eating 1500 calories and buring 3000-3700 calories a day. A cheat day for me is 1800 calories. In my first week I lost 5 lb. Anyway, that's me in a nutshell, well at least my weight part of me.
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Welcome, again! It sounds like you have a great goal and a plan to get there. Just make sure you don't over-do it and burn yourself out.
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

hi and welcome. feel free to join us on the daily thread. Everyone is wonderful and give great advice.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 AM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1 View Post
I am thinking about doing the Biggest Loser Club in addition to the bodybugg (love this thing!!!). I am eating 1500 calories and buring 3000-3700 calories a day. A cheat day for me is 1800 calories. In my first week I lost 5 lb. Anyway, that's me in a nutshell, well at least my weight part of me.
Welcome!

If you're using the BodyBugg to calculate that burn rate you should consider eating more. Believe me, I know the appeal of wanting to lose all the weight, right away. However, eating only 40-50% of what your body needs is a very aggressive deficit. Normally you would aim for no fewer than 60-70% of your body's requirements (ie. a 30-40% deficit). You risk burnout at that level, and possibly hitting a plateau that might be hard to break.

I myself run at a 30-35% deficit and manage to maintain an average loss of ~2lbs/week. I do this by eating 2150 on rest days and 2400 on exercise days. I keep thinking I'll need to drop those numbers as I lose weight, but have been doing those levels since the end of May (26 pounds ago). Trust me, you don't want your body to get used to 1500 calories. Been there, done that, wouldn't do it again!

Anyway, good luck with your weight loss.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #5  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Anne! That's great advice! I was really wanting to stay around 1800 calories, but the *stupid* trainer was trying to get me to do 1200!!! No wonder I am no longer seeing him! I will do some calculations and see where I should be at for calories. Thanks again!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I admit I do tend to have a negative reaction to really low calories. Someone brought to my attention last week that my issues were that I did them for way too long. It is possible to hit aggressive deficits as long as you plan to do them for only certain periods of time (ie. 8 to 12 weeks). I might (stress might) try it myself after my next maintenance break which should be sometime in October. I doubt I'd ever consider going lower than 1500 though, even for short periods of time. 1200 is usually considered the lowest women should eat to get the proper nutrients and I suspect that's more a woman with less to lose. I'd be extremely concerned about a trainer suggesting it, especially with lots of exercise.

If I even consider trying a high deficit it would be with minimal exercise as there's no way I could support what I'm doing on a 50% deficit of calories.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote