Old 08-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 383/383/373/150

Height: 5'4"

Default No More "ERR"

I'm delighted to jump and and down and report that after nearly 2 months or so of climing on and off the scales disappointed because they only said "Err" and had no numbers......(drum roll.....) .....today I got numbers!!

Not as low a number as would have been wonderful but numbers just the same. Not only that but my scale tops out at 385 and my number this morning was 382.1 so a little wiggle room even!! I'm feelin the love for the hateful ole scale right now.

You know, with it taking so long to be able to weigh its very possible I was in the 400 pound neighborhood. I just can't imagine how the crap I let myself get into this mess...I just can't let myself do this anymore. At 43 and being morbidly obese for 20 years now - I really need to get my poopy together.

I've started having lots of water retention and swelling in my legs and feet which makes walking miserable most of the time. I'm becoming a hermit due to that and the fact that I hate the way I am and don't like people lookin at me. Part of me says "Ah, Screw em!", but you know the other part is hurt and sensitive to what people think. I was NEVER like that before. I was always rather outgoing. Now I never go out...

Not only that but I know I'm killing myself. Diabetes and a heart attack and stroke are very real possibilities and just down the road waiting to pounce my big ole butt. Time to shake myself and truly wake up.

But like so many of us here, I stuggle to do what I know has to be done. Overwhelmed at the amount to lose, going back to ole habits and ways of eating....I especially have trouble getting myself to eat breakfast and lunch. I often don't eat until 3 or 4:00 pm and then I overeat or maybe even I don't and have a snack later, or not....but I not only stay big but I GAIN. My whole family eats less than me and they stay pretty thin. It's truly not fair....

Doc says I need to eat to lose. She explained the starvation mode and all to me I also need to drink more water. Thirst can make your body hang on to water. All that seems too crazy to me but I'm sure she's right.

Anyway, sorry this is so long!! Have a beautiful day!
jusfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #2  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on getting a numerical reading! That is awesome news!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #3  

Wink

Isn't that a wonderful feeling?

A funny story.

When my DH and I decided to buy a scale, I sent him to the store to get one. He called me and said, "Honey, they have some that only go to 300 and don't have any that go over 330 lbs." I, in a most offended tone, responded, "Just HOW FAT do you think I AM!!!!" (I was 328 - )

So he came home with a brand new scale...that only went to 300. I couldn't get rid of ERR until I'd LOST 28 lbs! Taught me a lesson about vanity!

Congrats to you on your scale victory, which I'm sure will be the first of many more to come! You are doing exactly the right thing by analyzing your eating patterns and listening to your doctor! You can do this, as can we all - And you will get lots of help and support here at 3FC!

Last edited by Lilion; 08-13-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Last edited by Heather; 08-13-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oh Lisa, you brought back some memories to me! I will never forget how happy I was to NOT see "ERR". It was one of the happiest moments of weight loss, I literally cried when I saw 329. My scale limit was 330 and for the first 17 lbs I had no idea if what I was doing would work and if I could lose weight. It was a relief to just know that it was working!!

I know it can be a struggle to lose weight, but being overweight is a struggle too. It does get easier as you go along. Stick with it, you can do it!

Oh and about breakfast - I quit eating breakfast when I was 13 years old (I'm 41 now) and frequently skipped lunch. I only started eating breakfast again when I started trying to lose weight. For the first few weeks I really didn't want to, but made myself anyway. From what I have read, it improves your metabolism to eat breakfast and I know that it helped me balance out my appetite (I was always ravenous by the dinner time). So, even if you aren't in the habit of eating breakfast or lunch, I do think it has helped me (and others) lose weight.

Congrats!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #6  
Happy Vegan

S/C/G: 318.5/Ticker/155

Height: 5.8"

Well done you!
SuomiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 383/383/373/150

Thanks so much, ya'll. I love the support on this site! Awesome. And it's great to know there are folks here who have gone thru the same things and understand exactly how it is.

Yes. Breakfast is very hard for me to do and half the time I just forget lunch till it's 3:00 or so.....but eating when I first get up kind of makes me nauseous. I'm trying very hard though.

Well, I'm off to boil a couple of eggs to try and get down with my coffee. And maybe a biscuit with a tablespoon of jam.....

Have a wonderful day!
jusfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Lisa,

I love your post. I remember so well when my scale that goes to 400 finally didn't show ERR! Thank you for bringing that all back to me and Huge hugs and congrats!!!!
Blessings,
Annie
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #9  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Welcome, and congrats on not seeing the ERR on the scale. When I first started out I used to weigh myself on the shipping scale at work. I'd been seeing ERR far too long on a scale that only went to 330. Some of the guys I worked with would hop up onto the scale once a week to check their weight so I decided I should as well (what a shock). Anyway, congrats on making the start to your journey.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #10  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

When I first started TOPS about 5 years ago, we met at our local building supply. They have a scale that we used, luckily it went over 400 pounds. I used that for a while then quit the group. When I rejoined two years ago, I couldn't really weigh in because it was a different group and they didn't have a scale that could weigh me. The group voted to get a new one with a clunker attachment thingie I had to use until I got under 350. The day I didn't need that any more was a grand day indeed.
ToniLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #11  
On the Path

S/C/G: 400/280/150

I've been there, too.

The first time I went into my doctor's office, his scale went to 400, and it wouldn't weigh me. I just knew it was broken. A couple of weeks later, I checked back in and it was 395 -- I knew then that it wasn't broken, but it was absolutely horrifying to see.

But it was just the beginning.

Congratulations on a wonderful beginning.
EarthShaker is offline   Reply With Quote