Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #1  

Default Help! Where do I start???

I am currently weighing in around 334lbs. I've usually always been heavy, but after meeting my current partner, I have gained almost 100lbs in 4 years. Her unhealthy eating habits really rubbed off on my already bad eatting habits. We eat out constantly, never exercise, etc. I have no idea what to start or where to go. I've done several different "fad" diets and I failed each and every one. Not only gaining the lost pounds back, but always gaining more.

We want to start trying for children in about 3 years- which is the reason for me wanting to get some of this extra baggage off. I know that all this weight isn't going to melt away on it's own, but I still can't manage to get off the couch and do anything about it.

I've started giving myself some rules. I know I'm more prone to sit around on the couch all night long because I have my laptop. I've decided that it's new permanent place will be in the office on the desk. There's no reason for me to spend all night on the computer when I spend all day at work surfing the internet.

I know I need to start exercising. My apartment community has a gym but it is ancient and most of the time nothing works. I don't like going out for walks because it's hot as crap outside and I burn easily.

I've managed to get my partner on the diet bandwagon (especially since she is the same size as me, and needs to get the weight off before she graduates law school)

We're saving for an elliptical we can use at our home.

I've been to my doctor and had extremely high blood pressure (which I have worked down to almost a normal level) and extremely high cholesterol (also working on) but other than that, there is no "Reason" for me to be overweight other than my choices in food and lack of exercise. He recommended a fat blocker med, but I'm wary of medications. Has anyone here tried anything like this (I think he said it was called Orlistat)

I guess my ramblings aren't for nothing. What advice can you give me?? What dieting tips have worked for you?

I know the whole "get off your butt, put down the fork" but the motivation just isn't there. What's wrong with me???

Last edited by audrabolster; 08-24-2008 at 11:31 PM.
audrabolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Audra,

Not to sound cheesy, but the fact that you've DECIDED that you want to change means you have already begun. Now you just need a plan to put in place and the process of losing can begin!

If I were you, I would browse through the goals forum (and goal pics) and read some of 3FC success stories - they really are inspirational, and many share how they finally succeeded at weight loss. Some especially inspiring stories are Charles, Glory, Lilybelle, RocknRobin, Mandalinn, Countingdown, and you'll find many more.

Many have succeeded by changing the way they eat (lots of calorie counters on here, also South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.) AND exercise. This forum is great for tips, motivation, and support.

Sounds like you have good reasons to want to lose, and you have already made little steps toward your goal (your computer rule, for instance). Good luck to you and hope to "see" you around on 3FC!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #3  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I've found the best way for me is to start taking baby steps. Maybe part of your planning could include what those steps will be, as they are different for everyone.

The first change I made was to eat less of what I normally ate. When I was able to eat less consistently, I decided to count calories. At your weight, you could be eating around 2,000 calories and still lose. It helps to see how many calories you're eating to begin with (with something like fitday.com or calorieking.com or etc). Once you know that, you can adjust accordingly. Make sure you aren't going down too low though.

The important part is to just commit to something - anything at this point that will lead you in the basic direction you want to get to.

Oh, and welcome!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome and i agree you have already started. Now do yourself a big favor and get out the tape measure. It really helps to be able to see the inches coming off even at times when the scales dont move. For me eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day was the key. I count calories and its something that is free and I can do it for life. I try to avoid white carbs if possible and I have found they really stall my weight loss. I track everything that goes in my mouth. I have a planner on my desk and write down every bite. It seemed like alot of work at first now its just what i do.IT really helps..i use calorie-count.com to track my calories and from time to time enter my food intake into the dailyplate to check out my %. I really havent started doing much about % yet.Just kinda like to keep track of it. Good luck and feel free to join in our daily thread.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote