Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 AM   #61  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

NJ - I started off by doing 5ks and then my work participates in a Super Sprint Triathlon. I watched a whole special on Triathletes on TV and sorta fell in love with the concept. I do my best weight loss wise when I'm committed to training - so I committed to training. I would suggest a Super Sprint for your first tri and just get your feet wet that way. It's definitely not for everyone. I don't think my DH or SIL have ever forgiven me for making them do a triathlon. But my bff and other friend have enjoyed them a lot. Super Sprints are a quarter mile swim, a 6.2 mile bike and a 1.5 mile run. The furthest I've done is a cross between a regular sprint and an olympic distance. It was a 1km swim, 20 mile bike, and a 5mile run.
  • Spend the most time training in swimming and bricks (combining two events into one workout - like swim and then go ride your bike).
  • If you have a lake/live on water practice swimming in the open water. No pool can prepare you for that.
  • If you're swimming in a gym pool and the pool is packed, split a lane with someone so you get used to the feeling of other swimmers all in your face.
  • People think swimming will be the easiest because they know how to swim. It is the hardest.
  • There is no such thing as over training.

I am happy to talk about this more if you want! They say us triathletes will absolutely find a way to discuss the fact that we are triathletes. It's the truth. lol [email protected]

Regarding temps for running - I bought fleece lined running tights, an insulated hat, gloves, and always layer up. Last year I ran in the negatives when we had our huge ice storm.

Scout - I was ALWAYS (and still am) a cat lady. We have two cats. DH is a dog person and I finally agreed to getting a puppy. I was RIGHT though! The next day I put him in the backyard while I did some work in the front yard. I heard him yelp and sure enough, the little pup had wiggled his way half way out under the front part of the fence and was stuck (not to mention filthy...). I called DH and made him see. LOL - hasnt been in the backyard sense. Maybe when he's bigger! Sorry to hear about your bad day.

Rana - I take a bunch of vitamins too. I do B6, B complex, B12, Vitamin C,Vitamin D, Vitamin E, a prenatal, Coenzyme Q10, and Folic Acid. PHEW! That's a small pharmacy! The B6 helps lengthen my cycle, so if you take that, don't be surprised if your cycle goes longer. Hope your wrists feel better!

KM - WELCOME

___

Doing well over here. Went to the Hawks game the other night and kept everything pretty on plan with my eating. YAY! Going to Mideval Times tonight with the In Laws, which means I'll probably have a sodium spike tomorrow and my official WI is tomorrow. The scale has already kinda been all over the place this week. So, who knows what'll happen...

Got a good 3 mile interval training run in yesterday and suppose to run tonight before we head out, but it's pouring here. We'll see!

What's everyone doing this weekend?
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Thank you, Laura78 and SoMuchFattitude.

It's a new day and I'm lingering over my coffee, thinking what I can do to make this day better than yesterday. I started with a big breakfast-- eggs w/salsa and...cheese on toast. I think I'm going to do a meditation before I leave. And then put my head down and work. Be kind and connect to those I encounter. And then tonight, I'm going OUT

Everyone have a good Friday and weekend.
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #63  

Height: 5'6.5"

Good morning ladies! The kids have a PA Day today (not sure if the same term is used in the US, but it's a day off). We just have a lazy day planned, planning on doing the elliptical in a bit and then maybe some games with the kids. I'm going out with friends tonight - yay!

Tomorrow morning I get the pleasure of waking up at 4:30am for my daughter's Synchro meet....but it will all be over by 8am, so that's a plus I guess. Though I would still prefer to be waking at 8am! LOL I think I'm going to need a nap tomorrow!

My "official" weigh-in this morning showed a 2 lb loss for the week, so I'm definitely happy with that

Danielle - I'm sooo impressed with your triathlon training! I can't even think of doing anything so intense until I get well below 200. I have realllly bad knees. I want to start C25K again, but that will have to wait 20lbs or so I think. The last time I tried I injured myself so badly. My big dream is to run the marathon at Disney World. Have fun at Medieval Times!!

Scout - I'm glad you're feeling better - what a great attitude!! Plus you got cheese on your toast, what could be better?
Laura78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

SoMuchFattitude - I missed that you were a triathlete! I ride (rode) a road bike, usually doing 30-50 miles per ride. Unfortunately, my friends' lives caused us to slack off a lot and I haven't ridden in ages. I've been taking my vitamins now for years, but I think I am going to make some changes (bodies change after all). I have PCOS, so getting my cycle is always awesome, I had no idea B6 would affect it. That is good to know.

Laura78 - I'm glad you're making a dent in the clutter! Do you feel lighter? Productive?!

Scout - I hope you feel better.

I am exhausted. This has been a short week, but it feels like it's been ten days long. I'm incredibly stressed and everyone around me can tell. I feel like I am on the verge of something, but I'm not sure what. I know it's related to work (a little stressful this week), home life (having house a mess, although it's getting better now that I am cleaning it out), and seeing changes in my friends' lives (which indirectly have an effect on me as a bystander).

Maybe I will have some wine tonight...
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #65  
Sassafrass

Laura, I've done 5 tris now. I did my first tri at 218lbs, competed in the Athena Division and placed 8th. The last tri I did I weighed 210lbs, competed in the Athena Division and placed 3rd. It's all about training. I will say, training for a half marathon at 249lbs is BRUTAL. I had NO idea how much impact 30 pounds would have on me. My God! lol Yay for -2lbs!!!

Rana - I LOVE cycling! That's my passion. I have my bike trainer set up in my bedroom for the winter, but nothing beats being on the road with it. I've got a cannondale synapse road bike (2012). We were doing 45mile events in the N. GA mountains for a while. They have a few different rides out there that end with beer. LOL Also, I have a short Luteal Phase (the time after you ovulate) and the B6 extends it. My natural LP without B6 is about 9 or 10, with B6 I get 13ish days. (Having a short LP makes it harder to get pregnant.) In fact, A LOT of the B vitamins supposedly help with cycle regulation.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 315/233/199

Height: 5'3"

Laura - congrats on the loss!!! I also am a huge Disney fan. When I lived in California I had an annual pass and I'm trying to decide if I should invest in one for Disneyland Paris. I have not yet been, but I think I will make it in February for sure. I also have always wanted to do the Disney World Marathon. Some day!

KM- Welcome! The more the merrier.

Danielle- thank you for sharing about triathlons. I'm sure as this year progresses I will be picking your brain some more. I agree that it's hard on the body to run with all this extra weight. My poor knees! But, I crave a good run.

Well ladies, I finally made it to a store. I bought a top in a US 18 which felt pretty good. I know how two tops that fit! I also grabbed a couple of sweatshirts so I can stay warmer. I went with an XL thinking it would be the right size. When I tried to zip the sweatshirt up however, it was a bit of a tight fit. I wanted to cry because I could have sworn I have lost weight. I went ahead and bought it because there was no bigger size anyway.

When I got home, I double checked my size chart. I was wrong in my thinking that European S-XL were similar to the US versions. According to my size chart, a European XL is a US L. So, It actually turned out to be a pretty awesome moment. I also managed to log 20km today. It felt good after the very LONG week I've had. Did it feel never ending to anyone else or just me?
Have a great weekend everyone!
NjPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #67  

This week was too long for me too. I will catch up more tomorrow. It's been crazy.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

NjPants Congrats on the clothes! Such a great feeling to see those results. This week has felt SO long-- and here in the US, many of us had a four day week because of the MLK holiday on Monday. Why is it the short weeks always feel longer? Must be the break in routine.

Yesterday went much better for me-- though it was just as crazy, it was my reactions that made it OK. I had someone call at 11am about a video call they'd scheduled for a number of very busy people for...11:30am. And oops they told everyone but me. So I had to rush but made it work and felt great afterward. The rest of the day was more of the same, making the best of things and feeling good about it. Then I went out where I basically ate a brownie for dinner And I had beer! And it was great!

This morning I went to the grocery store and got plenty of healthy foods for the week. Going to head into work for the day and spend the evening doing some much needed housework. Have a good day, everyone!
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 275/263/160

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, ladies! I have a couple days to catch up on, since I had to move my lithotropsy to yesterday. The scale wasn't my friend, but I think I was retaining water since I had to go 24 hours food/fluid free.

Danielle, I thought about duathlons since I'm a poor swimmer. I bow at your abilities. Was the Medieval Times thing fun? Is it like RenFen?

Pants, WTG! I love those unexpected wins!

Scout, I hope you had an awesome night out and feel even better today.

Rana, You and me both, my friend!

I'm feeling a thousand times better now that that effing stone was blasted up. I still have to keep the stent in place for the next two weeks while I pass all the fragments, so I still have to take it easy, exercise wise. It's hard. I feel so much better now, I want to jump for joy.
MsAnthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 275/263/160

Height: 5'4"

Oh, and don't get me started on everything I have to take! I have a weird genetic disorder that means I have to take methylated forms of b12 and folate, take CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and carnitine for my fibro, have a vitamin D deficiency and JUST found out I have a calcium deficiency, too! I have to purchase a jumbo pill container.
MsAnthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #71  

Hi Ladies! Just back from daughter's Synchro meet - I survived the 4:30am wake-up, but I'm planning a nap later! I had to start eating much earlier than I'm used to, so it will be interesting to see how I feel later, I'll probably be starving!

Last night I went out with friends to a restaurant with no nutritional information....however, I think I picked well - a Goat cheese salad with balsamic vinaigrette. The scale has stayed the same for a few days, I'm ready for it to budge now

Anna - I'm so happy that you are feeling better - great news!

scout - It sounds like you are in a better state of mind, that's great! Why are you working on a Saturday?

Rana - I hope you find some time to breathe I definitely feel lighter and more productive from the de-cluttering.

Norma - Yay! Another Disney fan I'm one of those people who just really loves it....I've been to WDW so many times I've lost count. I would love to go to California someday - but looking forward to Disneyland Paris for sure. You should go and tell me all about it! Great news about your sweater

Last edited by Laura78; 01-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #72  

Scout - glad I wasn't the only one feeling like that. I'm not sure if it's the break in routine or weird things going (we had huge emergencies and fires to put out at work this week).

MsAnthropist - I have little baggies (I've seen them in places like Michael's but I've purchased mine online) where I put all the pills I take and then I set them out on my coffee table so I don't forget. If I have to open every container to take the pills every day... I just wouldn't do it! I was also Vit D deficient (PCOS patients tend to have that) and just last year, for the first time ever, did my doctor recommend I go down on my dosage because it was a little on the high side (!).

NJPants -- That's amazing! I love it when that happens -- you're picking out clothes and they fit and it's smaller than you thought.

Laura78 -- I am now annoyed that I even put stuff for sale on Craigslist, because people are so rude. They claim they are going to pass by and buy something, but they don't. Or they tell you a certain hour and then they show up 2 hours later (I'm currently waiting for someone who said they would be here 2 hours ago!). Good thing I was able to move the stuff I was doing today around and I'm not wasting my day (more cleaning!).

Overall, because it was a crazy week, I barely remember how it went. I am/was in a funk and I am hoping that next week will be better for me. Food has been okay (lunch today was a grill skirt steak with caramelized onion and I will be making another green juice). I am hoping the scale will budge but it's been the same for days now and about 3 lbs higher. I am probably retaining water, but I hate it when my body does this. Although, I suspect it's partially my scale, but I don't want to be one of those people that's constantly buying scales until they find one that actually moves! I am trying not be ridiculous.

I have to remember that my goal is not only weight loss (argh, it is now) it's also health. But I am healthy, so it is about weight loss. I need to really think this through.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 315/233/199

Height: 5'3"

Laura, when I get to disneyland Paris I will tell you all about it.

Ladies, I have logged nearly 55km this week and I feel awesome about it. My body, not as much. Actually I don't feel very sore. Just very tired, but that's because I've been burning the candle at both ends.

I got the myfitnesspal app about two weeks ago and I find myself not eating some things because I don't want to have to put it in my good log. Haha!

Tomorrow I weigh in. I did a quick check on Friday and saw a 2 pound loss so I'm hoping that holds for tomorrow. Either way, I'm continuing what I'm doing and then some. I am going back to running tomorrow after being lax the last few weeks. I am also bike shopping for a cheap used one on the France version of craigslist. Excited about that. I just wish I knew anything about bikes. If any of you are cyclists, I welcome your advice!

I hope you all had a good weekend.
NjPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #74  

Happy Monday everyone! As usual my weekend was full of Synchro practices for my daughter....at least my daughter is getting fit even if I'm not! When the weather gets a bit better I'm going to walk around the pool buildings while she's practicing. I'm happy to get back into our regular schedule today - I love Mondays now that I'm not working.....LOL. The last time I didn't have a job (other than maternity leave) was when I was 13....it's an interesting feeling!

I have a party on Saturday which I am sort of dreading.....it will have amazing catered food. It's really sitting on my mind so I really need to have a good strategy going in and not mess things up.

Norma - Sounds like you've been doing so great - let us know how you did on the scale! Remember that MFP is just a guideline. I use it and try to stick to it perfectly, however if I'm feeling weak I listen to my body and grab a few more calories. I lost 40 lbs in 2012 following MFP, I just love it. I'm hoping for better success and hopefully not gaining it back this time I am also hunting for a bike. I would like an "old fashioned" bike with high handle bars. We actually have two tours booked in Paris with Blue Bike Tours, have you seen them around?

Rana - Sorry you've been in a funk.....here's to a better week for you! I agree about rude craigslist people, urgh. I use a different method called storage wars which has a local facebook page. People literally bid on things, then I leave them on my porch with an envelope, so I don't have to wait around for them. If I sell something more expensive then I'll wait. This week I plan to have a huge 'Storage Wars' week!! We have soooo much junk. Yesterday was 3 garbage bags for donations.......
Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #75  
Sassafrass

NJ - WOOHOO on the clothing NSV And yes, my week felt never ending. I'm in the middle of a huge project so I'm a little stressed. 55km? Girl! I logged 47km and I'm sore. omg - my back is killing me from my 7mile run yesterday. I'll trade advice with you: you give me how to not be sore advice and I'll give you bike advice. I'm a cyclist before I'm anything else. My longest cycling event was a 45 mile ride in the North GA mountains. They give you beer at the end. It's amazing. lol I have a 2012 Cannondale Synapse Road bike and LOVE it. What are you looking for in a bike? Speed? Comfort? How far? Where do you want to ride it (road or off road)? What's the terrain like - hilly or flat?

Scout - a brownie and a beer? Sounds like my kind of dinner! lol

MsA - ouch! Is the stent painful? Midieval Times was fun - kinda like RenFen, but not as cool? lol. It's basically like you walked into the set of GoT and then go see a bunch of fighting/sword fighting/games/etc. It's definitely neat, but RenFen would be the cracked out version of Midieval Times. MT is GREAT for kids. We went with the inlaws because they've never been before and my SIL bought them tickets for Christmas. I think we're going with my (soon to be) 10 year old nephew for his bday. I also own a jumbo pill holder.

Laura - is a synchro meet like synchronized swimming? I love goat cheese and BV. Mmmmm...

Rana - there is definitely a grey area between health and solely weight loss. It's hard to find it, imo. I know that if I want to focus solely on weight loss then my health goes out the window. I know that when I exercise/train hard/focus on healthy, I spike on the scale and my loss is slower. I believe it's because I'm fueling my body instead of putting it in a deficit. I prefer the way I feel when I'm focusing on healthy, but enjoy the results of the weight loss. I can eat a 1200 calorie diet a day and see quick results on the scale, but when I do I don't have the energy to train and don't feel as healthy. It's a total Catch 22. I'm trying to find my grey.

---

Had a good weekend and lost 2.2lbs this week! I ran 7 miles yesterday for my half training and my back is killing me today. Any tips on back aches after running?