Old 01-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #16  

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Everyone! I'm happy to see there is a 30-Something chat going I'm 36 years old. Currently I'm on my second week of being a SAHM (though my kids are at school as they are 9 &10). My husband and I decided that I needed a mental break from working so we did a crazy thing in this economy and I resigned from my job. The hope is that focus will be on my spiritual and physical health for awhile. Hopefully I can find another job in a year or so, we'll se where life takes us.

I have been a yo-yo dieter my whole life, since I was maybe 12 or so. I would like to get control of this once and for all! My goal weight will be ideally around 150-160 lbs which is a long way off for now. One step at a time

For "my plan", I use My Fitness Pal and just calculate calories. It works very well for me (lost ~40 lbs in 2013). I haven't re-started exercise yet, I hope to get that going in the next couple of weeks. Baby steps for me!

What is everyone's weigh-in day? Shall we pick one day to weigh-in together?

Rana - This is your year to reach 150 lbs!!! Let's do this

Munchy - Sounds like you've been through a lot and that you have issues with nutritionists like Rana does.....interesting. I'm sure you're going to look fabulous for your upcoming wedding.

Danielle - Thanks for starting this thread! I hope it's active and that we can be a great support for one another. I was part of a group like this about 10 years ago (after having my kids) and I know it really works if we can keep each other motivated. It sounds like you've been through a lot in the last couple of years. Though mine was not infertility, I can also relate.....working on getting myself back "up and running". Let's feel like ourselves again! And good luck with your half marathon training - amazing!

Jill - WOW, amazing story of lost and found love......my story is so boring in comparison. I'm so happy you found love and that now you are loving yourself by taking care of it....50 lbs is amazing! I have 60-70 lbs to lose, so hopefully we can motivate each other to get this done!

Terra - You've got this....your health is so important!

scout - It sounds like you are doing amazing things for yourself. I think 175 is my first goal too, but I know ideally I felt the most comfortable around 150-160, so we'll see. It's been so long for me, it's hard to know!! At this point I'll take onederland.

MumofMany - Congrats on the birth of your newest babe and good for you for cutting out alcohol!

Last edited by Laura78; 01-16-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Laura78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 315/233/199

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! I'd like to jump in on this chat!

I'm Norma, just turned 31 in November. I wish that I was like some of you others and can remember a time before I was fat. Well, I sort of do. It was called adolescence! I understand emotional eating. I'm right there with the rest who eat their feelings.

When I was 14 and in my first year of high school, we had a fire that destroyed the few belongings we owned. We had to buy all new everything, including clothes and that was the first time I bought size 18 pants. I know it started for me around 4th grade. My parents started fighting. A lot. And so I hid out in our tv room and ate the cookies or cake my grandma made. I had been active before this, but now going outside meant the neighbor kids laughing at my parents fighting in the street. A few months after that, mom packed us up and we left my dad. I was the oldest and I somehow became the one who shielded my sisters from the pain of what was happening, my mom's shoulder to cry on, and the adult for the times she couldn't get out of bed. That, paired with a poor persons diet led to bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

When puberty hit, I was still a thin kid, but I didn't start developing like the other kids and I had one period and no more. It wouldn't be for another ten years until I was diagnosed with PCOS. At the time, I just knew I was different and that led to more eating.

By the time I graduated high school, I was wearing size 22 pants. I remember weighing in at 219 on my graduation day. I somehow thought that when I became an adult I would wake up magically transformed into a thin woman. You all may be surprised to find that did not happen! I took some nutrition classes in college that really opened my eyes. This was the first I really learned about a balanced diet other than what I knew of the food pyramid.

I started to get very active and eat well. I watched myself gain and lose many pounds over the next few years. After the PCOS diagnosis, I was prescribed BC pills, which didn't do anything for my figure. It's been this same cycle for almost 15 years now. Lose a few pounds, gain twice as many back. The turning point for me was back in 2012. I came to France for two months in the summer and by the time I returned to the states, my clothes were too big and I was 50 pounds lighter. Without even trying!

I was so motivated when I got home that I rejoined a gym, got a personal trainer, a nutritionist, spent countless hours researching "lifestyle" changes, and then watched in horror as the weight came piling back on even with everything I was doing right. My personal trainer had the audacity to ask if I was cheating on him with unhealthy food. I was not.

At the beginning of 2014, my gp made the decision to put me on metformin. The side effects were unpleasant in the beginning, but I stuck it out and have begun to see weight come off a couple pounds at a time.

In November of 2014, I returned to France. I will be working here until August. In my first month here, I dropped a whopping 35 pounds without even trying. I had gotten up to 298 pounds at my biggest, but last weekend I put on a pair of size 18 pants. I haven't been able to buy that size since I was 15!

I am starting to think that for the first time I can reach my weight loss goals. I am excited, but nervous. I've been excited before only to have my body balloon back up. Well meaning friends and family members make "helpful" suggestions as though I myself may not know what to do. This is the first time I've joined any kind of support group for my weight loss. Maybe that's what has been missing before. Either way, I'm happy to be here and to share in this journey with you all.

I seem to have written a novel, but I guess I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from. Cheers!
NjPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

NJPants -- that's great that you're finding you can lose weight in France easily! I love France and my BFF lives there, so I've visited and I know why you're losing weight there. I am a big advocate for how they eat, how they look at food and I want to be more like that, even if I am in the USA.

Laura78 -- I was weighing-in every Saturday morning, but I was getting a little crazy about it, so I stopped. I was also counting calories and I stopped because I was getting crazy there too. I guess I'm doing a bit of intuitive eating (although I know how much I consume because I know the calorie counts in a lot of foods already!) and I am weighing in randomly, not regularly. I was down to 165.6 on Thursday, but I know I am retaining water today because I went out to dinner Thursday night with the BF and I always retain water when I eat out at a restaurant and I hold it for days (yes, it's true, days!!!).

I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm in the process of decluttering my home, so I am waiting for someone from Craigslist to come and pick up some stuff I'm selling. I will spend the rest of the day taking care of that stuff and I will head off later to some exercise and tonight I will have the "pleasure" of helping a friend out with her computer. I'm not sure I will be able to help her, but... well, I know more than she does, but it might be like the blind leading the blind...

My goal today is to manage my eating to three meals today, no snacking, and to finish eating the food in my fridge (veggies and protein) so it doesn't go to waste. I need to start upping my veggies, as I signed up for delivery and if I don't cook them, I'm going to have to start juicing them.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #19  

Good Morning everyone! I had a bit of a "fall" last night - I went about 300 cals over, but I didn't end up bingeing so I guess that's a win for me. Today is a new day.

Rana - I'm in the middle of decluttering too! I have a bunch of pick-ups slated for today as well I have a really long way to go because I've neglected my house for a long time...oops. My motto for the year is "simplicity", so this is the first step. That's great that you are eating intuitively and still eating - hopefully I can get there someday.

Norma - Wow, France - so cool! We're visiting Paris and also Cannes in July, but I'll be on a cruise so no chance of losing there. Why do you think you tend to lost weight there? Are you just happier or you eat differently or exercise more?
Old 01-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #20  

Rana, I am also a big fan of the way the French look at food and the way they eat. For starters, they don't put up with many of the same chemicals that we allow to be put in our food here. Even American companies that come here do things the French way. Coca Cola for instance, uses high fructose corn syrup in the states because it costs pennies and increases their profit margin, but in France and other countries, the coca cola has real sugar. They still make plenty. I am not a soda drinker myself, but some people are. Also, McDonald's in France has many of their restaurants sourcing from local farms. When the company was first trying to build in France, they were met with such strong resistance that they had no choice. These are just two instances.

Laura, I think it is a combination of things. Difference in chemicals, the use of much more organic, local products in my diet, a healthier way of thinking of food even. I notice that when the French want something, they eat it and I rarely have seen them suffer guilt or shame over it. I think that mentally can affect us. I am also so incredibly happy here, and I walk and take a lot of stairs. I work out a lot in the states, but I've noticed I am constantly moving here.

Today was a slow day for me. I only walked 15km when I normally do 25-30 on Saturdays. I already need to replace the soles of my shoes after just 2 months!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Laura78 Good for you for taking the time! Best to you, onederland is not too far off.

NjPants "I somehow thought that when I became an adult I would wake up magically transformed into a thin woman." I swear I could've written that myself. Didn't happen for me, either... I also love to walk. And find I walk so much more when I'm in Europe, it's built into the lifestyle in many countries.

This was an ok week for me. I weighed in at 188.4 today. I was busy to the point of madness this week so I feel just fine with that number. I treated myself but also took care of myself and didn't go wild with comfort food or anything like that. I wish I could've walked more but time was not on my side. I had a busy day today as well but I did a group meditation in the morning and also managed to walk a good bit in the mild weather. I'm a happy camper tonight.

I stopped at the grocery store tonight and have plenty of tasty food for the next few days. Have a good weekend, everyone!
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #22  

I'm aching from the decluttering. That has to count as exercise, right???? I've been doing this hard core for about a week or so, I swear my biceps look bigger and stronger.

Today is another day of moving boxes out. I have a ton of donation items that I want to give to the Salvation Army and I can either put it in one of their boxes (unattended) or drive to one of their locations (which is further away). I think I might just do the drive so I don't have to put this stuff in bags for the donation box...

Just read an article about how dieting is really about sleep and habits -- less decision making, which means more willpower for the big decisions (turning down dessert at a dinner party, for example). I have to remember this.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #23  

NJPants -- Yes, that's the sense that I get when I go to Paris and that's what my friends have said too. It's about the food but it's not about the binging. You would have a hard time being able to do that (portions are smaller, it's more expensive, and harder to get the amounts of food we get here - like Costco sized stuff) and all the walking....

I live in an area that's very car-centric, so I don't think I'll ever have that same kind of lifestyle, but I recognize that's part of the equation -- "exercise" or movement (burning calories) comes from every day activities, versus a lot of the convenience that you get here in the States.

I also agree on the chemicals and the preservatives that are used in Europe versus the USA. I try to eat as "clean" as possible here (following Paleo dieting and at the beginning just clean eating) and I can take the chemicals in "normal" food now. I could eat Chip Ahoy cookies in the past and now, all I taste are the preservatives. I'll rather make them from scratch...

I also think that working less hours (Europeans work less) and have a better life balance helps. I know I probably work too much and am too stressed out...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 237/177/175

Height: 5'7

Good morning!

Rana I totally consider housework exercise! Consider if you were wearing a fitbit/activity tracker. It'd be counting that work! Also, habits = so important. Habits free us from "decision fatigue". I read a couple years ago that the President frees himself from many small decisions throughout the day, such as what tie to wear, because having to make decision after decision eventually leads to decision fatigue and when you're President, that negatively affects how you make Important Decisions. I thought that was interesting.

I just had a beautiful breakfast of cheese on toast and carrot juice. And still having coffee, of course. I'm looking forward to the day-- I have some work to catch up on in the morning and then I have a long walk planned in the afternoon along with errands ("fun" ones: eyebrow threading, shopping for a classroom, shopping for a sewing project). It'll be a good day.
scout83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #25  

Scout88 - I'm ready to eat breakfast. Yours sounds delish. I have to see what I have in the fridge. Another thing I'm about to go clean out (!).

Decision fatigue -- yes, I read the headline for the President, didn't read the article, but it makes sense. I know that's something that happens to me at lunchtime at work or at dinnertime after work. I don't care to make a decision on what I want to eat. When the BF asks me, I usually say I don't care, I want him to make a decision for me. But he works too, so he wants ME to make the decision. Lunch is easier if I take it with me because I eat what I brought. If I don't have dinner planned, then it does get harder and easier to get off track.

I need to remember that too. My Sunday morning is filled with all kinds of ideas to think about now.

Okay, back to breakfast and house cleaning. I hope everyone has a good Sunday!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #26  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Danielle ~ I'm glad you can relate to my story

Laura ~ Thanks for the encouragement

Jill,Scout,MumofMany,Munchy,Rana & NjPants ~ Thanks for telling your story and I look forward to learning more about all of you

Someone asked why did we choose the goal we chose and the reason why I chose 150 is because my mom said that would be a good weight for me. I originally wanted my goal to be 120 the weight I was in high school but mom said I would be too skinny at that weight so since she has been alive longer then me she probably knows what she's talking about so I changed my goal to 150.

By the way I'm 30, I turned 30 on Oct. 20th of 2014

Last edited by Terra1984; 01-18-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 AM   #27  
Jill

S/C/G: 292/250.4/175

Height: 5'6

Welcome to all the ones that have joined. Saw a low on Friday but did HORRID in the sodium category this weekend! I am SURE I will be up, up, up tomorrow and Tuesday but hoping to see another low soon!!

I hope everyone is doing great!!
Jb1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 AM   #28  

Scout, I'm glad to know I wasn't alone in thinking the weight would disappear at adulthood. It was the same with acne. I remember a few days after my 18th birthday being very upset about a breakout. A few years ago I saw a commercial about acne and wrinkles. I wasn't pleased at the notion of someday having to deal with both at the same time. I blame media for it's impossible portrayals of women on tv.

Rana, I know what you mean about living somewhere very car centric. I was living and working in southeast Oklahoma just before I left the states. My commute was 1 hour each way and I stood at a reception desk all day. By the time I got home in the evening, I couldn't even fathom walking the two blocks to the grocery store so I would drive for the convenience of it. Now, it's a 30 minute walk at least. 45 minutes if I want to go into Paris and I willingly do it.

I walked about 20km yesterday. The walk home from the train station is all uphill, 2.2 miles. By the time I got home last night, me entire body was aching and I was tired. I thought for sure I would fall right to sleep, but I lay awake all night and only got an hour of good sleep in. This morning is my weigh in day. The scales haven't budged, but I awoke very bloated. I guess the upside is they haven't gone up at least. I hope this morning isn't an indicator of how the rest of the week will go. Bon chance this Monday y'all!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #29  

Happy Monday everyone! Yesterday I spent ALL day at a swim meet for my daughter so I came home exhausted and just overate (again!!!) - man, I'm falling a bit too much for my liking. But this is the week that I am going to start exercising on my elliptical again. So hopefully that will help with my motivation. Hopefully I still have a chance to show a bit of a loss for Friday.

Norma - WOW - that's a lot of walking, so inspiring! The most "natural" exercise I get is just around my house and then the 2 minute walk back and forth to the bus stop, LOL. I need to intentionally make exercise. Sorry you didn't have a loss this week, but surely all that exercise will lead somewhere.

I chose the goal of 150 as that is just slightly below the top number for my height (5'6"). I haven't been 150 since high school, so we'll see.

Jill - Congrats on seeing a low....hopefully that sodium will leave your system quickly!

scout - Great job keeping at it while you've been super busy. Did you have a nice Sunday?

Rana - Wow, your de-cluttering sounds intense - LOL. I'm inspired to keep going with mine as well. So much to declutter though!!

Hi Everyone else! Have a great day
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #30  

Terra1984 - I don't know if you mom knows everything, but I think 150 is a good milestone and then see where you can take it from there. I think people find they can go lower and do it, others like that first goal and stay at it. I think it's really up to where you are in that moment in time.

JB1975 - I'm in the same boat. I did weigh myself this morning and after an Asian lunch yesterday, I'm up 4 lbs, which we all know is not real weight, just water weight. I'll be drinking a lot of water today.

NJPants - Good for all the walking! I wish I could walk more. My phone now has a pedometer and I'm realizing I really don't walk a lot. Either that, or the pedometer app isn't working right! I think when the bloating goes away, you'll see some weight go down. It happens to me.

Laura78 - I'm almost at your height (5'5.5" but I rounded down in my profile) and that's my first milestone weight too. I want to reach 140, eventually, but let me get these next 15 lbs off and then we'll see if I can do down to 140. I really just want to see how I feel in the 150s... I know what it's like in the 160s!!!! and I'm fine, but not perfectly good. Keep decluttering! It's good for moving around energies.

I had a good Sunday, had a long talk with my BFF about all kinds of stuff, and I went out with some friends last night since today is a holiday.

I'm going to continue decluttering today -- getting so close to being done. I took some things to the Salvation Army yesterday and now I'm finding I have more to give away... although last night my friend said she was considering doing a garage sale in a few weeks, so I might take her up on that and we can both sell some of the stuff I was going to give away. I'll see how much stuff I end up putting in the sell/donate pile. I could do with some cash now!!!!

Like I said above, I'm bloated with the sodium from going out, but I will just drink a lot of water today and hopefully that will get my body to let go of some of the bloat. I've already had a healthy and on-plan breakfast, so I'm good to go for the morning.

I hope everyone has a great day and a great week.