Old 03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #136  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinQueen View Post
Mollz .. I think that is awesome you're a music teacher! My oldest, 13 plays percussion .. snare in band at school & I don't see how the teacher isn't insane in the membrane already!! really! I would be a basket case!! This group of kids over here doing this, those over there doing that, those others BLAH BLAH BLAHING not paying attention & beating on stuff while she's talking ... erm screaming - lol drives me nuts in 5 minutes, but you guys must be blessings in disguise b/c it takes special people to do what you do!
I'm not a music teacher, but a relief teacher. I have taught music classes as well, so yes, what you're describing is totally correct... kids everywhere, not doing what they're told and not realising that music class is not about learning to play the guitar, but about history and theory and then practical.

My brother used to play drums- not in the school band, there he played clarinet, saxophone (all kinds of saxophones) and I believe the oboe on the odd occasion. He played drums at home which drove us mad. But, to his credit, he was really good.

This week's turning out to be a doozy for me. I haven't been writing down my calories for the day- I'm on my laptop, rather than my computer, which is a pretty poor excuse. I think this is a reflection of the kind of week I've felt that I've had. Up early, bed late-ish and feeling a little tired. I REALLY hope they don't call me today so I can go for a walk with my dog after I finish my run.

Last edited by Mollz; 03-11-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: more to add.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #137  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

MisfitRycher - I'm not officially diagnosed, but I recognize all the symptoms in myself and DH, and now 8 year old DS! DS has been diagnosed. He is so smart and at the same time can be really difficult. The school is testing him for the gifted program in the hopes that if he's not bored and is interested in the lessons, that he will be able to focus and not be so affected by all the stimuli in the classroom. He is out of the classroom often to give him breaks. I tend to ramble on crazy tangents, and then get overwhelmed by trying to be social, and then shut down and stop posting. I keep lurking though; so I am cheering everyone on, and it keeps me on track, but I find it easier to just withdraw sometimes.

Sorry about the difficult week Mollz. How old are these kids? I'm picturing sullen teens with bad attitudes.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Mollz working with children must hit both extremes, incredibly rewarding and incredibly frustrating. My mom used to say that working full time with adults doesn't begin to compare to working full time with children. With adults, you can walk away from the situation when it gets too aggravating, but if you're looking after a group of kids, no options, just have to stick it through.

I finally broke under 155, but not with a whole lotta margin so we'll see what happens at the official weigh in tomorrow.

I've been very, very tired lately. Maybe just too much winter.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #139  
Carpe diem

All of these kids are emo-vampire-, gangsta- or Hannah Montana-wannabe teens... ages about 13-18.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #140  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

Here's a suggestion for you, Mollz... Grab two thick heavy textbooks and slam them against each other. The resultant noise SHOULD startle them into silence. (Just watch your fingers, you don't want to squash them!)

Kuchick, we tend to recognize our own. Are you able to get a referral for a diagnosis from your doctor?
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #141  

Hi ladies,
I feel like crap today, just real worn out style. I went to the gym and only did half an hour on the mill before calling it quits. Then I realized that I (please don't ask how) lost my locker key. So embarrassing! Crabby, tired and worried about the weigh in tomorrow. If you can lend me a positive vibe, I promise to pay you back!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #142  
Carpe diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstar33 View Post
Hi ladies,
I feel like crap today, just real worn out style. I went to the gym and only did half an hour on the mill before calling it quits. Then I realized that I (please don't ask how) lost my locker key. So embarrassing! Crabby, tired and worried about the weigh in tomorrow. If you can lend me a positive vibe, I promise to pay you back!
I know how you feel; I think we've all gone, done just 1/2 hour and left. But look at it this way: you did 1/2 hour. That's better than a cup of cold sick!!

You don't have to worry about paying me back; I'll send some of my positive vibes out to you. : : :

I didn't get to do my kata yesterday, I took a nap instead. And I'm going to do the same thing now. Being up at 6am really wears me out, but when else am I going to be able to get to the gym?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #143  

Mollie Thanks so much! I really needed that. I guess we have to accept sometimes we will fall off the wagon, and sometimes we *must* rest. Here's to some peace.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

meowy, misfit - I love Aveeno! I use the kind with the green on the bottle. Just be careful with the pump kind of bottle. When you get to the point where there is no more lotion coming out of the pump, you think the bottle is empty. I came home a few days ago and found my dad cutting open the "empty" bottles I had discarded. There was close to 1/3 of the bottle of lotion left in there where the pump doesn't reach!

kuchik - I remember the vendor lunch battles. It was so hard to order or eat anything on plan. I used to do a lot of the ordering for those lunches and could influence what was ordered but I don't miss it! Luckily now at my new job, I brown bag lunch from home every day and don't have to face the vendor lunch temptations anymore.

Thanks everyone for the wedding support! The good thing is that today is the first time I am actually looking forward to celebrating the wedding instead of dreading it! Sounds like our florist might come down and meet our budget at our meeting tomorrow. I just ordered the invitations today. Now I need to get the cake and desserts and dinner menu in order later this month. The barrage of bridal showers and pre-wedding dinner and events start this weekend. I'm forcing myself to the gym M-F every week until the wedding to keep it all under control!
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #145  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Morning Ladies!

Well, the scale has obviously submitted to my authority...I am down again. 202.4. Not too shabby! Its nice to have consistant losses when I was barely losing anything at all the first three weeks.

Went to another ball game with son. Once again walked away with ZERO calories. Its nice to get OUT of the habit of snacking at games.

I think I have found my 'sweet' spot as fas as calories go, I am scared to up my exercise--it may stall my loss, but at the same time--most of my goals center around 'being strong' and looking good---not so much a number on the scale.

So exercise is KEY.

*sighs* This is hard.
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #146  

Hello,
I just have a minute for a quick post, but I weighed in at 153.8, down .8 lbs from last week! I'm so excited, less than half a lb away from the 20 lb mark!

TGIF!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #147  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I am so glad to read about all the successes this week! I just wanted to check in with you all. My bro in law has my laptop so I am peckin this out on my phone. Very stresfull week dh had 12 teeth pulled and dentures fitted, closed on our hour house on Tuesday and tings were kinda messed up, sick kids, etc. But, I ave managed to stay on plan and worked out 4 days this week. Yay! Sorry about the typing....hope bil is done with his taxes so I. Can have my computer. Back soon!!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #148  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Last night, I was having the WORST late night cravings. So, I decided I would paint my nails. I sat down and got out all of my colors and supplies and thought I would give the french a try free-hand. I am pretty artistic, but this was a bit of a stretch. So, I kept at it and a bit later, I was done. And - the best part - I had forgotten all about eating something!! WOOHOO!! I have had a couple people today ask me where I had my nails done. Step 1 - stare at Girl Scout Cookie boxes and drool. Step 2 - resovle not to eat them and put them in a cabinet I can't reach Step 3 - Paint nails with amazing focus! Too funny!

I am loving this milder weather! The sun is even peeking through. 65 today! My plants are starting to peek above ground. I planted some tulips last year and I can see them starting to come up. I have a million day lillies that desperately need to be divided. I should have done it last fall, but with my ankle it wasn't possible. I think I will do it this weekend. I assume it's okay to do it even if they are starting to sprout a bit??

Also, I have a nightshade vine (I think? purple flowers and berries) that invaded last year and I can't seem to kill it. It looks like this:
http://graduallygreener.files.wordpr...lower_vine.jpg
I want to move some of my daylilies into that bed, but am not sure how. I tried the weed spray and manually pulling part of it but it just seems to keep growing anyway. My back yard neighbor built a fence that runs along mine and leaves a 4 inch gap that the plant has built its root system in. Grr! Sorry for rambling off topic, but yardwork is exercise, right? LOL!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #149  

Height: 5'6"

Morning all!

I had a rough evening Wednesday, someone said something very hurtfull to me right as I was leaving work. I let it get to my head, I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve. Yesterday I was so busy that I didn't get a chance to talk to this person, today I decided to just find them and clear the air. I did this morning and I feel so much better. I don't care if they don't like me but mean comments in a room full of people are unnecessary. Not to mention everyone else here was mad at them for saying it.

Got my gym time in yesterday. I can tell ya that I am fast being coming addicted to it. I wouldn't think of missing it because each time I go I have the feeling that I can't wait until I get to go back. I bought 4 months worth of passes, so no excuses, I gotta go or lose that money.

Scale is going down, slowly.. hope it stays that way for weigh in.

congrats to all the loses!

MP- gotta suck not having a computer. That'd make me very sad

Mollz- some kids can really get under your skin. Even in Elem. school there are a few that I rejoice when they move up to middle school.

Breeze- YEAH! for fighting those cravings. And you got painted nails in the process.

ortho- i didn't have a traditional wedding so I have no idea what your going thru. I can only imagine. DH and I just went to the county clerk who married us in the back stock room! LOL It was a lot cheaper and sounds like much less of a headache.

Everyone else, sorry if I missed you. Lots of work I have to get done today so I gotta run..
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #150  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

MisfitRycher - Obviously we recognize our own - I married one! I've never been diagnosed because when I was little, it wasn't really recognized yet; plus I tended to get more introverted and didn't cause problems at school. Always felt like a misfit though and it made the social aspect of school awful. DS has been having problems and we'll be seeing a therapist soon to work on some behavioral conditioning. So much more is expected of kids now, that the additional stress on these kids, I believe, makes it worse.

Silverstar33 - I hope you're feeling better today. We had a couple nice days here and then it all went downhill in time for spring break. Three kids at home next week and nasty weather - yay! I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so there is no escape. Yay on almost down 20 lbs. My scale says I'm there, but I refuse to believe it. My scale's been particularly vindictive lately.

orthodiva - I stay at home with kiddos now, but miss being around other adults. I'd almost be willing to deal with vendor lunches again if it meant I could talk to adults again - almost. DH is 6' and 206 pounds right now, so it's easy for him to fit it into his calories for the day. I fix nothing but healthy dinners anymore anyway, so he just eats a little less and he's set.

mortonpixie - I hope your week gets a little less crazy soon. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I understand a little of how difficult some days are. I admire you for being able to have daycare kids and homeschool, too.

beachbreeze - Good job painting your nails instead of eating last night! I think I'll try that tonight. I love having painted nails, but have been putting it off until I'm done getting the garden ready for spring. You might try cutting the vine down to right above the ground and "painting" brush killer on the stumps to kill the roots. If it died to the ground for the winter, maybe brush killer sprayed on the new sprouts will kill it? Brush killer usually works better on plants with woody stems than weed killer does - just be careful of overspray. Also, I divided daylilies in the middle of summer last year to move them to a new garden, and they did fine; they're pretty tough plants.

parkedout - It's great that you're able to skip the concessions. I tend to let my cheap-ness keep me from the concession stand. That way I don't feel like it's my new lifestyle that's depriving me, but the fact that I'm too cheap to buy it. Strange way to think of it, but it works for me.

Mollz - Good luck with the little monsters today!

I know this is getting waaaay long, but wanted to say that my scale said 191.5 this morning, which seems completely impossible - that's 2 lbs in 4 days - and that's never happened before. I contemplating the "take it and run" method, but I'd hate to change my ticker and then have my weight be up again tomorrow. I'll check again later and see - if it's right - that's 20 pounds lost
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote