Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #166  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4 with Cuban curves!

kurisitaru: I'm sorry you had a rough time of it lately, I know how discouraging that can be when you feel so out of control despite all of your incredibly hard work.

The scale is not my friend either. I get really obsessive about it(i used to weight mulitiple times a day, not constructive). Now I'm weighing once a week which is working much better. I was obsessing about getting to onederland (it's taken me FOREVER. I hit 203 mulitple times in june and july, and just now am getting to 198. 3 months to lose 5 lbs! so frustrating). I was at 200 last week, and I weighed this week and I'm at 197.8 YAY! So I totally understand how finally seeing that 17 on your scale validated you and helped you know there is still hope! Sometimes it just seems futile when you work so hard and you don't see results. I'm glad that you are feeling better and being kind to yourself. One set back (caused by very real frustrations) is no reason to give up, it really just teaches you more about what to watch out for in the future. I think about as the same path you walk down all the time, you know where the big pothole is, and even if you still fall in, you spend less time in it each time you fall in, and next time you can walk around it and not fall in. I still fall in my potholes sometimes, but at least now I'm better about pulling myself out of them before I gain another 20 lbs!

Next week is my TOM... so I don't think I'm going to like my weigh in, still not sure if I will at all (not good for my brain). Hopefully afterwards it will come right off. Good luck everyone!
Claygirl1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #167  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Sorry these are a bit late, I started a job and completely forgot! Here are the Week 4 charts.

20-Somethings Chart:

Overall Chart:
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #168  
Changing from the inside

S/C/G: 210/190/140

Height: 5'6"

Hey y'all! I just rejoined 3FC after a 3-YEAR (!!) hiatus from the forums. Been losing weight for about a year now - I've been hovering between 188-190lbs (20-23 lb loss) for 6 months (yuck) so I've done several things lately to fix that (including starting therapy, not ashamed to admit it, one of the best decisions ever). So excited to join back in the 3FC fun again and start this challenge with yall! Happy Halloween!
IamLaurelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #169  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post

I think a lot of people here know our pain. That's why we come here. We'll both hate our weigh ins this weekend, my shark week is coming up as well. Not looking forward to it.

At least, while I did want to give up completely, I've decided to never go back to eating the way I was. I can't keep gaining 5-10 lbs a year. (One year was 20!) I need to either get stuck where I am, of lose. I can't do the gains anymore.
I agree. I can't do the gains anymore either. gaining 40lbs in two years is not ok. It's an awful feeling, but I have to admit, I have learned a lot from the experience, which hopefully will help me to not repeat the same mistakes.

this is way off topic, but my husband and I want to try to conceive in three months (more time for me to get to a healthy weight and my husband to get off his e-cig). There is a part of me that wonders if this will be futile (gain all the weight back due to pregnancy) but I want to be healthy for a child, and I've read from people here that it's easier the lighter you start, and if you're already on a healthy lifestyle, it's easier to stick to those habits. I'm going to stick with that for now, and hope that I can control myself enough to only gain what the baby needs once we do conceive. We shall see! For now, I would just love to be at 189 by halloween, big stretch, but worth a shot.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #170  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claygirl1518 View Post
I agree. I can't do the gains anymore either. gaining 40lbs in two years is not ok. It's an awful feeling, but I have to admit, I have learned a lot from the experience, which hopefully will help me to not repeat the same mistakes.

this is way off topic, but my husband and I want to try to conceive in three months (more time for me to get to a healthy weight and my husband to get off his e-cig). There is a part of me that wonders if this will be futile (gain all the weight back due to pregnancy) but I want to be healthy for a child, and I've read from people here that it's easier the lighter you start, and if you're already on a healthy lifestyle, it's easier to stick to those habits. I'm going to stick with that for now, and hope that I can control myself enough to only gain what the baby needs once we do conceive. We shall see! For now, I would just love to be at 189 by halloween, big stretch, but worth a shot.
You know women don't necessarily have to gain weight during pregnancy (apart from the baby itself of course). In Japan women are encouraged by doctors to actually not gain over a certain amount. I think weight gain during pregnancy is purely down to the mentality of "Well I'm gonna get fat anyway so might as well eat." or "I'm eating for two" and so on. Hormones of course make it difficult to stay in control, I know when my hormone levels go crazy due to my period I want to eat all the time, so I can only imagine how horrible it must be like to be pregnant. Culturally I think the West is more used to the concept of "letting go" during pregnancy whereas in Japan it's unheard of. It was amazing to see these Japanese women barely look any different in size other than a pregnant belly, when they give birth they literally go back to normal.

So if you do lose the weight before getting pregnant you do not have to worry about regaining it all if you're mindful of your diet. Women aren't as fragile while pregnant either, you can do a lot while pregnant in terms of light exercise too. I know what you mean about re-gains...still trying to drop my regain weight. I'm trying not to think of it as weight that is shameful, but I can't help but think "dayum, I was 149 lbs wth happened."
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #171  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Rie ~ That is some interesting info you shared! In fact, I know a couple people that stayed really small and petite even through pregnancy and I just stared at them in awe. I probably won't be experiencing this anytime soon, but it is important to keep in mind that it's entirely possible to not gain all that extra pregnancy weight!

~~

Ugh I think I have this really REALLY bad food addiction. Ever since my family went to my little sister's trip meeting (their high school band is traveling to Chicago/LA), I've been on a Yelp rampage finding restaurants in Chicago that seem intriguing. And my gosh there are so many choices. And they look delicious. And...while yes I don't plan to be super strict, I don't wanna just let loose either.
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #172  

Riestrella : I agree about the weight gain for pregnancy here, it seems way more than is needed. I know some is needed for the baby:extra blood placenta, the actual baby etc, but I don't think 60 lbs is necessary. My plan is to lose what I can in a healthy way the next 3 months, then start trying while continuing my healthy lifestyle through trying, pregnancy, and the rest of my life ! Regaining is scary, this is the second time in trying to lose a regain, I want it to be the last, and i feel this time 3fc has been a huge asset to me. Thank you all for being here and supporting each other! It means a lot to me.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #173  

Overall, the Japanese have such a healthy lifestyle. I lived with a family there for 3 months, and breakfast was their biggest meal of the day, and it was always half delicious veggies. Dinner was actually a small meal. Their sweets were made of a sweet bean paste, pretty good for not being nearly as bad as our indulgences. I read that obesity is on the rise with the youngest generation though. I have heard the "eating for two" in the US a lot as well. I've had friends of mine who gained a lot explain that they really just didn't try to resist any cravings, and if they did they wouldn't have gained as much. Hopefully I will be able to say no to cravings when the time comes.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #174  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hey everyone! So it's Friday, woohoo! I can't celebrate too much since I've only been working full time for a week, and I will be part time next week, then my temp job is over! I've just been on reception at a furniture company, I'm typing this from work right now! It's easy peasy and since I'm on my own in the building entrance I get to read/browse the internet so it's quite a sweet deal. Too bad it's over soon. A girl tried to get me a permanent position, but someone who already works here wants to step down to reception so I missed out . But I can get job seekers allowance soon so I won't be completely poor while I look for more work.

My weight loss is stalled at the moment, but I'm actually ok with it. I'd rather maintain than gain. Tomorrow I'm going to do a T25 workout and do it straight for 4 days to catch up with the workouts I've not done. Eating has been a tad better, but I need to tell my Mum to stop buying the crisps that I love. As much as I want them, I know it's just empty calories with no nutritional value! In other news, we now have a juicer, so I need to make some juice and get my veggies in. I wrote down a bunch of recipes, but I tried to wing it the first time and it did not turn out good! I put too much tomato in so it just tasted like tomatoes.

We're almost halfway through our challenge! Soon it'll be the Christmas challenge!

-----

Atari - I worked at a preschool, so I would see a lot of pregnant women, one woman I literally didn't know she was pregnant until she was about 7 months! My friends wife balloons up when she gets pregnant, she's already a bit of a drama queen so I'm sure she just turns to food to get through her hormones! I think it's important to indulge, just have an awesome week and then one night in the week treat yourself to a meal out. I'm definitely of the mind that 95% of the time you should be on plan and in that 5% it's ok to indulge!

Clay - Yeah, Japanese people are insanely healthy. I lived there for 2 years and it was always super shocking to see an overweight Japanese person. The girls at work were always talking about what was healthy and what food helped with what, it was a bit much for me at times because when I just wanted to eat a sandwich I felt I was the devil or something!

Last edited by Riestrella; 09-26-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #175  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Ries - Wow, that was a quick temp job! Hopefully it helps you with finding something more permanent soon. Glad to hear you should have other money coming in. Oh a juicer! That will be really nice to have

Regarding pregnancy, that's certainly something I worry about, too. It's a few years off for me, so part of me is glad I'm getting the weight off now. I just hope that I manage not to derail when that time comes! But I try not to think about it since it's so far off. Just a couple years ago, the US changed some of their suggestions regarding weight gain and pregnancy, and doctors will even recommend some very overweight patients to continue losing weight while pregnant. It's good that the mindset seems to be changing, but at the same time it seems like pregnant women are constantly bombarded with messages about all the things they aren't allowed to eat!

Just a few more days left of my maintenance break. I had a few days where I saw the 190s again, which sucked, but otherwise I'm maintaining pretty well I'm just below my starting weight for this challenge, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to losing! I hope this helps kick my plateau and maybe I'll actually reach my goal by Halloween...
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

My weight is up this week a little bit but I honestly don't care I've been eating well(for the most part) and healthier and I've been doing really well with my weight lifting class. My coach at school is really happy with my progress and I was so excited yesterday to see some of my upper body muscles poking out! I noticed my body in general is looking more solid and and feels more firm. My fiance has noticed too. I've been lifting heavy for a month now and my measurements are going down! I've lost from my bust(boo!), ribs, waist, and lower stomach(yay!). My lower stomach is really my problem area and I noticed its looking way more toned and flat! So even though I'm not losing weight, I know I'm losing fat. I'm not thrilled about losing more on my bust and ribs bc honestly those are the two places I really don't need to lose lol but hey, its still fat loss so I'm good with that

Also I'm probably retaining water bc I'm about to ovulate and I always gain during this as well as during TOM. My face is looking slimmer and that's usually a sign that the scale will drop so maybe I'll have a loss next week, but if not I'm happy as long as I'm losing inches.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #177  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Well, my weight has been stalling. I've had an influx of visitors (family, out of town friends, etc.), and these particular people always want to either cook for me or go out to eat. I've been fine calorie-wise, but I bloat oh so easily, which is what I think is happening (definitely feel a bit swollen). That'll be another week or two to get the water weight off. So, I've upped my goal some. We'll see how it goes.

On pregnancy: totally agree with you guys about avoiding excess weight gain. From what doctors have told me, I've researched, and what friends/family has told me about their pregnancies, the pregnancy and delivery go better if you're in shape. And also yes, you only need 200-300 calories extra a day. And that's not even until the second trimester or so.

If I ever get pregnant (which I'd like to, someday, I think), I'd want to stay healthy for my kid. Hopefully I'd be able to resist cravings, or satisfy them healthily. My aunt quit smoking cold turkey when she found out she was pregnant (and has never smoked since b/c of her kids). Hopefully since she could do that, I could do the same with cravings for food.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claygirl1518 View Post

You'll lose close to twenty pounds in that first week after delivery, between the birth of the baby itself (say an eight pound baby and four pounds of assorted other parts and fluids that we won't get into here ) and getting rid of all the water you retained (4-6 lb).
thechemistmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm not part of the Halloween challenge, but I poked my nose into the thread today and wanted to say something to Claygirl1518.

First, props on getting healthy prior to getting pregnant. It's amazing that you're doing that. Secondly, I wanted to support what others are saying. You don't really have a to gain weight with pregnancy. When I had my son (who is now almost six), I was overweight by a long shot.. not as bad as I am now, but around 215lbs. I started taking care of myself during the pregnancy and I actually ended up dropping weight a little at first, and then just kinda staying the same for weigh-ins later down the line. After the little guy was born I weighed in at 170lbs. The doctor didn't have any problems with it (he did want me not losing anymore in the third trimester), as I was eating healthy, and exercising, and my little boy was healthy

The main thing is going to be listening to your doctor, and striving to be healthy for the baby (and for you!). As long as you do those two things I really think any weight gain is going to be minimal, and you'll have a healthy as can be baby.

Edit to add: I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not advocating for weight loss during pregnancy, but pointing out that as long as you're being healthy, everything will be fine. The only reason I lost weight was because I went from being a slob who didn't exercise and lived on junk food, to eating healthy and exercising daily (mostly just a lot of walks) while pregnant.

Last edited by sunarie; 09-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #180  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunarie View Post
I'm not part of the Halloween challenge, but I poked my nose into the thread today and wanted to say something to Claygirl1518.

First, props on getting healthy prior to getting pregnant. It's amazing that you're doing that. Secondly, I wanted to support what others are saying. You don't really have a to gain weight with pregnancy. When I had my son (who is now almost six), I was overweight by a long shot.. not as bad as I am now, but around 215lbs. I started taking care of myself during the pregnancy and I actually ended up dropping weight a little at first, and then just kinda staying the same for weigh-ins later down the line. After the little guy was born I weighed in at 170lbs. The doctor didn't have any problems with it (he did want me not losing anymore in the third trimester), as I was eating healthy, and exercising, and my little boy was healthy

The main thing is going to be listening to your doctor, and striving to be healthy for the baby (and for you!). As long as you do those two things I really think any weight gain is going to be minimal, and you'll have a healthy as can be baby.
Thanks sunarie! When I hit 220 early this year it was a huge shock to me (just for me) but the fact that I want to have children soon just kind of fuels the fire for me. I want to have energy and feel good for not only me and my husband, but my future kids. So, whenever I'm tempted to eat something bad, I just think about whether it's good for me and future baby, and if it's not, I usually pick something else. I give myself little cheats once in a while (like an apple cider doughnut while apple picking with friends last week. sooo yummy!) but I try to figure out my calories so that I compensate by eating less at dinner, small breakfast, exercise, etc. I figure healthy habits now are easier to maintain than trying to change my whole lifestyle for a pregnancy later!

It sounds like healthy eating and taking advice from my doc are the way to go. I'm not going to worry about gains, because I know it's necessary, but I'm going to keep up my healthy lifestyle and just enjoy the journey once I get there. Thanks everyone for all your input!