Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Height: 5'6

Unhappy Trouble with a skinny guy!

Hi all, Iv'e been on here for a couple days I really love thus site its helped me so much already! Im 26and I have been over weight most of my life. I lost 60 lbs once but ive gained it all back. This is my second week of living healthy and think im doing pretty good ive been working out and eating right. But my problem is my boyfriend we live together I normally cook and I have to tell him to eat his veggies. He likes to eat junk food right in front of me and he goes on and on about how mmm its so good blah blah blah! In my head im like mm that does look good and it makes me want it soo bad. I love food. Does anyone else have this problem? Im trying to be good but it makes it really hard.
melanieburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

You would like to think he's sensitive about your needs and what you want to achieve.

I would talk to him and explain your trying to eat well to reach a set weight goal, in which both of you will benefit out of it because you'll feel better about yourself and that will reflect in your relationship. If your happy, he'll be happy.

Equally you need to be strong when your around people who are eating things you would like. If you maintain your focus, you will reach your goal, there will always be distractions along the way, but you have to understand these are just to test your resolve and ability to stick to the plan.

There is nothing wrong with treating yourself when you deserve it, but never lose sight of the work and effort you put in to lose weight. A treat once a week or every one in a while is a good thing, but it should only be a treat for good work.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #3  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

I live with a skinny guy too... My husband is rail thin and could eat anything! He eats the healthy dinners I cook without complaint... just bigger portions. Sometimes I'll cook an extra side for him (like mashed potatoes) that I leave off of my plate. I feel bad depriving him of all junk food (I'm a SAHM and do all of our shopping) so I'll buy him some junky stuff, but only things that I don't like, like nacho cheese Doritos, so I'm not tempted to eat it.

I would definitely talk to your boyfriend and let him know that his comments are making it harder for you to stay on track.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Junk food tastes awful once you get over it. To get over it, you need to get used to healthy food, so stay on track, and as time goes by it will be easier to look at junk food with the same indifference you look at a stone. Don't look at people eating things you still like, and just keep focused on your plan. Let others do as they please, and you do as you please!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanieburgess View Post
he goes on and on about how mmm its so good blah blah blah!
This doesn't seem like skinny versus fat to me so much as disrespect and undermining your ability to achieve a goal you've set for yourself.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 05-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/225/160

Thanks that helps alot! I have talked to him about it he knows its important to me and he is disrespectful I tell him how I feel and five minutes later he does it again so I just dont know what to do..

Last edited by melanieburgess; 05-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
melanieburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/147/120

Height: 163cm

Without getting into relationship advice, maybe try cooking something he won't mind eating or don't give him the opportunity to tease you with bad food. If he's eating in the front room, pull up a chair in the kitchen, and so on.

I use a website called skinnytaste.com (amongst others -- hope I can post that here) and she has a ton of fantastic recipes that are healthy (or at least healthy versions of less-than-healthy recipes)... there are lots of vegetables, but cooked in a way most people wouldn't turn their noses up at.

I hope you find your journey easier
HappyStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

My husband eats junk all the time too, even in bed beside me. He doesn't make little remarks, but it was still tough. After the first month or so, you'll start to find it easier. Just hang in there.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/221(restart)/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

While I can completely understand how frustrating it is, it's ultimately your decision what you put into your mouth at the end of the day - I've had friends who've done that to me - albeit innocently - but I use their comments to fuel my determination and focus. Hang in there, you can do this!
Bobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I feel for ya; my DH is a skinny-mini too and he can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight (he is very active though). He does have his stuff and I gave him a little, high cupboard to store it in (I can't reach it). Most of the stuff he eats, I don't like, so it's OK.

I make healthy meals for both of us; I may just give him a big potato and I have a small one (i.e. new potato), and bigger portions becuz he needs the calories. I make healthy desserts but only once in a while (he has his junkies, so I don't have to make them). I make his favorite about EOM or so (pumpkin pie) and have one piece (planned and accounted for) or I just make myself a pumpkin custard instead (which he likes too).

He used to eat his junkies in front of me but not as often now; and I have noticed that as time went on, it doesn't bother me as much. I just go into my PC room & come on here, or into our bedroom to read, or out onto our back deck or front porch, etc.

I also keep some healthy snacks in the house for me: 100-calorie microwave popcorn, fruit, UNsalted nuts, yogurt, fiber bars, etc. I think you would find that helpful if you are watching a movie together -- he can eat his junk, and you can have your popcorn.

Sadly, your BF is being a bit immature (re: the teasing), so leaving his presence is the best remedy for that. Make yourself some special places to go to, like I did. You can also go out for a walk, if he persists. Eventually, he'll tire of his games, and you will be the victor ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-14-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/242/150

Height: 5'5"

As a wife and mother there's unfortunately stuff around the house that's tempting - my trick is to tell myself that it belongs to someone else and I can't touch it, but I also make sure I have things that I can eat that are just for me - I guess it's like pretending they're roommates and their stuff is off limits. There's always going to be tempting things around that need to be ignored in daily life, so in a way he's doing you a favor, albeit in a not too kind way. If communicating doesn't help, just ignore him and the treats when he's playing the temptation game.
thehappyimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #12  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

My boyfriend's thin and eats whatever he wants and lots of it. He doesn't seem to do any of this balancing out that I've heard naturally thin people do. I don't know where all of the food goes. He eats some junk food but generally hides it from me. I generally only know because I see wrappers in the bin sometimes!

I think you need to talk to your boyfriend and explain your issues with food to him and why you find it difficult when he does that. I explained to my boyfriend that I found it really difficult to know that there's chocolate/junk in the house and not eat it. That if I know it's there in the cupboard I will be literally obsessed with it. I don't think he really got it at the start but I kept explaining that it was like an addiction.
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Your BF is a diet saboteur, men are so insecure that many of them worry that if you lose weight you may look attractive to someone else, this may be true but doesn't mean that you will act on it. You need to reassure him that you are dieting to improve your health and it is very important to you. If he still continues to disrespect your wishes you need to stay strong, do not let him ruin your plans for a healthy life.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote