Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #1  
Fatty 2x4

S/C/G: 180/180 (boo..)/140 for now

Height: 5'5'

Unhappy Need help with motivation...already!

Hi,
I've been following my plan to a tee since Thursday, and I've lost nearly 10lbs. (water weight?) The problem is that my motivation is already sapping! This happens every single time I've tried to lose weight, and it's always a couple days after I begin. How pathetic, huh? If I can just break this cycle, maybe everything else will be easier. Does anyone have advice for this sort of thing? I'm just so tired of "maybe it'll work next time...".
IndieSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #2  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

A few things I do to help me "keep going".
-progress photos: if you are having a hard time looking in the mirror and seeing progress, sometimes it helps to see it in a photo, 10lbs is great!
-allow yourself a scheduled "cheat" once in a while. For me, its a meal once a week. I can have pizza or a burger or whatever I want. That way I don't feel deprived and desperate. Also for me its a good realization that staying on plan 95% of the okay. Everyone messes up a little, just keep on going.
-also they say it takes 2 weeks for something to become a habit. Realize that it will get easier, but you have to stick with it.

GOOD LUCK and remember, you are already doing well. Why have to re-lose that same 10lbs over and over again?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #3  
Fatty 2x4

Thank you Hearing reassurance is a big thing for me, especially from people who are doing it too. I realize the only time I've made it past the initial period on a diet was in 2007 - and I lost about 20lbs. before going off it. I just tell myself "just keep doing it, don't think about it for now until it becomes habit".
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #4  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I use the inspiration from other members
to keep me going.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #5  
Fatty 2x4

I know, the board helps so much
Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #6  
A new begining!

S/C/G: 263/240/135

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel! What is helping me now is a put a pic of when I was thinner on my bathroom. I also have been looking at clothes online that I would love to have when I get down to weight. Also think that 1 pound is 4 whole sticks of butter!!!
Elijahs phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #7  
Fatty 2x4

Thank you Phoenix. I have a few pictures I look at when I was at my heaviest. I was never as thin as I'd like to be so I'm extremely interested to see myself thin.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'4

Indie--

I've had the EXACT same problem in the past too. Two weeks is my critical period! If I fall off of my diet within the first 2 weeks, I always call it quits.

Last night was the first meal in a week that I had real people food (a burger, baked beans, mac & cheese, and a cupcake!) and it tasted WONDERFUL, but today I'm going to get right back on. I really think Denise is right that you should allow yourself one "cheat" meal per week. It helps satisfy the craving so you don't feel deprived.

I think that's where I have gone wrong in the past. I didn't allow myself a "cheat" meal, so when I did break my diet, I realized how deprived I felt and it made me think that I couldn't do it anymore.

I'm one of those type-A personality people, so I tend to be a perfectionist. I need to improve on being flexible and accepting the fact that there are going to be good days and bad days. It is so hard to be flexible and patient because I just want the weight to be off already!

I try to keep telling myself that it's better to have the weight come off slowly and stay off as opposed to losing it quickly and have it come right back on within a few months post-diet! =)

-Liz
lifehouseluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I've found that it helps to find diet approved foods/meals that I really enjoy. Such as a chef salad from Crisp w/fat free raspberry vinagerette, avocados (fatty, but its healthy fat), sourdough bread, sugar free fudgesicles or chocolate pudding etc. Its easier to diet when u enjoy your food. Also, try making your fave recipes using healthy alternatives. Example, I make enchiladas with ground turkey, low fat cheddar, wheat or low carb tortillas, light sour cream and regular enchilada sauce, YUMMY!
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #10  
Fatty 2x4

Thank you for the support ladies I think I've lost the last of my water weight (about 10lbs) because today I weighed in and the scale was where it was yesterday. Good - now it's time to lose the fat!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #11  
Ready for a smaller me.

S/C/G: 255/221/150

Height: 5'2

I'm going to go against the grain just a little bit and suggest that you wait a little while before having a cheat meal, just from MY personal experience. I usually do pretty well for a week or so and then something comes up- dinner out with friends, someone wants to cook for me- and I have some delicious cheat food... and that's usually what makes me go off plan even more. It's like, once the junk is away, I'm good. But as soon as I get a taste of yummy Chinese food for dinner, I fall off the wagon for several days and it's even harder to get back on than it was to just stay on.

Just my two cents- it might be different for you!

I agree with taking progress pics. I don't trust the mirror, but pictures won't lie to ya. If you take them once a week, I guarantee you'll be able to see the subtle changes in your body. And that will make you want to keep going!
kaelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

"this time around" I'm aiming to accept and get over my mistakes. I have a perfectionist side...and it the past, that has been my downfall. I'd do great (perfect, really) for several months. Then ONE meal would ruin everything. After that one meal, I'd give up.

I started Weight watchers two and a half weeks ago. And I've done really well. Except for this past weekend. I binged all day every day. But today I'm accepting my mistakes, and moving forward. I won't let one weekend ruin me. So I guess I'm on the fence. I need to kick my butt into gear, but I'll eventually have cheat meals. I'm thinking it's a bit too early for me, based on this past weekend.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/236/160

Height: 5' 8"

Indie! You and me definitely have that in common!

One thing that has REALLY helped me this time to be excited about losing weight and eating better is making a "vision board". Basically I just took a big piece of cardboard and wrote down the reasons I want to lose weight (events, emotions, physical capabilities), why it will be beneficial, and my rewards at the end. Then I cut out a whole bunch of pictures of people that looked happy to be working out (aka opposite of me...haha) and things that pertain to my weight loss (wedding dress, swimsuits, an outfit I like). I put it in a place where I usually am when I slip up, which is by the computer. Every time I go to grab a snack, I look at it and make a better decision. It's been working so far and definitely grabs my attention.

YOU CAN DO THIS, GIRL!! Keep up the good work and remember how good it feels to see that scale move DOWN!
zarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #14  
Fatty 2x4

Thanks girls! I will try your suggestions and see how they work for me. I think I'm going to wait to have a cheat meal because that also tends to disrupt my motivation.

My thing since I started has been my hunger. I just ate dinner less than 3 hours ago and I'm already hungry! It's been like this alot in the past couple days. Does it stop after awhile? I've been eating good food too - REAL food. Not hamburger helper or macaroni and cheese for dinner. And it tastes good. I just hate my constant hunger
Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Maybe you aren't eating enough or the right foods...keep some veggies or fruits available (or other healthy/low cal snack). I feel like I'm eating constantly because I choose "healthier" stuff...it's amazing how much you can eat when you make the right choices. What is your diet plan?
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote