Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default To Sleep or to Work Out??

So, ever since I've been back in town, I have not been able to sleep at night. I'm sure it has something to do with the way I've been eating and also the weird schedule I was on over the holidays and following the funeral...but I feel AWFUL. Got a headache, I'm irritable, breaking out, etc.

Today was supposed to be my first day back OP all the way. I did a lot of damage over the past week, but so far diet wise I've done well. However, I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night and I'm really feeling crappy and low low low energy...

I know that sleep is beneficial to weight loss...but so is exercise. Would it better to go home and try to get some sleep or to try to push myself through a workout? To be honest, I don't get off till 5:30 and by then, I have no idea if I'll be ABLE to get through a work out, but let's assume I'm not in a coma by then...

What would you guys do? I feel like a schlub since I haven't been in the gym in almost two weeks...but I'm so so tired too...
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

That's a tough one. Maybe just try walking on the treadmill? You're getting in SOME exercise (that may help you sleep) and then you can go home and rest.

I'm a big proponent of sleep > exercise when you're run down like that, but some light activity isn't going to hurt you that much.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

For me, it depends.

I'm really big on always getting up early, no matter how little sleep I get. Sleeping in just throws my circadian rhythm waaaay off. I have to make up sleep deprivation by going to bed early, not sleeping in. Sleeping in just messes me up (and I'm not even a natural morning person, so this was a tough lesson to learn!).

So, since I workout in the morning, it doesn't affect my length of sleep.

Since I would never work out immediately before bed (I know many do, but it keeps me awake), going to bed early probably wouldn't interfere with an early evening workout either.

So I guess it doesn't really "depend."

But, I *would* pay attention to whether I thought my body, in it's sleep-deprived state (and probably stressed too, because it was probably some stressful situation that made me sleep deprived) is up for an intense workout. Probably it needs something active but gentle.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Do a yoga tape (or just general floor exercises) and then get some sleep! While consistent exercise will make you feel better and give you greater energy, if you're pretty run down then I'm not sure doing a hard workout will be really worth it.

You should probably sleep, and (if you can) consider moving your workouts to the morning before work, so you'll feel as though you have greater energy, and exercising will actually get you there for the rest of the day.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/227.6/150

Height: 5'7"

I am dealing with this same thing today. However, I have not worked out for a couple of days. So I will go running as soon as I get home and then hit the sack early!
cabinwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #6  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

I'd go for sleep, but that's just me

And then I'd work out twice as hard after I'd gotten a good nights sleep.

Annie

http://299lbs.wordpress.com/
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #7  

Same problem with me, a little different though. My mouth is in incredible amounts of pain but if I take a pain pill I can't work out. Hmmmm decisions...
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #8  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I vote sleep, being that you get back at it tomorrow or your next scheduled work out. I personally know that if I dont get my sleep back on track, everything else falls apart. ie, that i was up until 4am for the last 2 nights and missed breakfast 2 or 3 days in a row as a result. One good bit of advice my sister gave me once on decisions of any sort..Toss a coin, one side being one option and one side being the other, and if you really like or dislike the result then you know what you really wanted to begin with/what your gut is telling you, I am one for 'going with your gut' (unless its telling me to eat those donuts!! lol)

Last edited by Phoenix301; 01-04-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/180.5/130

Height: 5'7.5"

Sleep sleep sleep. Getting yourself some good sleep is the most important thing. You might overdo it if you try and push through a work out. You can always hit the gym after you're back on a good sleep schedule.
SunshineBaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I'd try and get some sleep until you feel better and then get back at it. But if it takes too long you may want to see your doctor and make sure everything is okay
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote