Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!
Thread Starter
Goddess Jessica's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 3,010

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Flexible Spending and Obesity

I have a lot of flex spending dollars left so I have been sifting through IRS code for Flex Spending and I wanted to make anyone who has this benefit aware - obesity is a specific medical condition. So, you may be able to use flex spending for your gym or exercise equipment.

Health Club
Dues paid to a health club, YMCA, YWCA or spas are allowable when the member submits documentation from the attending physician stating that the membership expenses are for treatment of a specific medical condition. Reimbursement should be only for the individual membership and for the component that is related to a single year. Any dues that carry over to a subsequent year would violate the IRS rule of constructive receipt.

Exercise Equipment
Exercise equipment may be covered when prescribed by a physician as treatment for a specific medical condition.

Weight Loss Programs
Medical expenses paid for a weight loss program prescribed by a doctor for treatment of a specific medical condition are covered. Reimbursement should be only for the component that is related to a single calendar year. The member should submit documentation from the attending physician prescribing the weight loss program confirming that it was medically necessary for a specific medical condition and not for general health enhancement.

Fees paid to a dietitian are eligible when referred by a physician for treatment of a specific medical condition.

Amounts paid for counseling (i.e., behavioral, marriage or pastoral counseling) for a family member with a medical condition qualify as medical expenses. There must be documentation from a physician stating that counseling was prescribed and that it is medically necessary to treat a specific medical or mental illness.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #2  
Senior Member
Sheila53's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,732

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)


Not related to obesity, but you can get reimbursed for massage, too, if your physician "prescribes" it. Until my DH ended up needing dental work, I had a bunch of money left, too, so I got several massages.

You can also get reimbursed for over-the-counter products like Tylenol or Advil (and all the others), saline solution for contacts, Thermacare wraps (I use a lot of those), pain patches, and antifungals like Lotrimin as well as a bunch of other stuff. I stock up on Thermacare wraps when they're on sale.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300+ And Ready To Try Again #1052 Vilandra485 300+ Club 40 11-08-2006 07:07 PM
LAWL Losers & Friends- March 2006 shennie_97 LA Weight Loss 1692 03-31-2006 11:58 PM
300+........Articles thinthinker 300+ Club 15 04-19-2004 02:29 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 AM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.