Old 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM   #16  

Thanks for the info....

Same problem here; it's wether extreme diet or pigout 2-3 times a week at fast-food restaurants....Many weight loss web sites talk about one "cheat day" a week. This will just be impossible for me to do, as the one cheat day will become 2,3,4 times a week....i know myself too whell!!

It will indeed be soul destroying, especially for the holidays. Tonight I'm invited to an Italian Restaurants with some friends....It will be hard watching them eat out their big Pizza, Garlic bread and desert.... while i'm having my basic Spaghetti....!!!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #17  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

It really is hard, frenchiepolarbear, but you'll learn to just talk yourself through it. It has helped me to keep in mind the following phrase: "Never trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment." It's not worth the regret afterwards.......and the feeling of accomplishment and self-worth you get from having made the right choices and then seen a loss on the scale or in how your clothes fit.....well it's much more gratifying than any garlic bread ever could be. I promise. Maybe after you get some real loss under your belt and are well on the way to permanently effected behavioral changes, you can incorporate an off-plan meal periodically...once you feel comfortable and confident that you can just hop right back on plan the following morning. You can play that by ear.

In the meantime, just know that you're doing something IMPORTANT, and that you're never going to regret having made the choice that supports your goals. NEVER. And if you ever need help getting talked off the ledge (so to speak) just come here for help and we'll always be here for you....we've all needed it at one time or another.....
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #18  
Old Cackler

frenchie - suffering is optional. be as sensible as you can, enjoy the fact that you are with your friends having fun, rather than sitting at home sulking. or laid up with a broken leg or something else awful.

so when you're out with your friends at that italian place, remember how HEALTHY the mediterranean diet really is, and make your choices accordingly. in north america, we've managed to corrupt the italian diet so that it's really not the same as it is 'over there.' there are many reasonable choices... and lots of restaurants will make 'special' things if you ask.

or sauce/gravy on the side. or whatever else.

bottom line, frenchie: on this forum, we're not talking about losing 5 pounds here. we're talking about revamping every aspect of our lives, and learning how to live with ourselves, both with food and with emotions. it's a long process. and we need to make sure that whatever we do, however we do it, that we do it with self-love and kindness and a happy soul. if we don't, we're gonna fail!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #19  
I climb mountains!

Jiff, I love you.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #20  
Old Cackler

oh geez, sarah... i felt like i was giving a huge long lecture [so i cut it short]. but you KNOW - as does everyone else, since i can't keep my mouth shut [or fingers still?] - that i've been through the wringer with weight issues, and in many respects, i'm still at square one!!!!!!

right now, i'm dealing with the basic issue of 'unconscious eating.' i sometimes call it the POPCORN syndrome [ever watch people when they get popcorn at the movies? they zone out completely - they have no idea what they're doing, what they're eating, or even that they're eating.

soooo. i've gotten rid of every single snack at my desk [no matter how 'acceptable' it is]. i have a huge stash of tea in the drawer. my lunch bag is packed with the day's food, and there's an untouched tangerine on my desk.

AND THAT'S ALL. i GOTTA get this under control, or every single one of those nearly 300 pounds that i've lost are gonna find me again!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #21  

Default Supper...at Italian place, developments

....When i finally got there after driving around 30 minutes to find a parking spot (Downtown Montreal), i learned that supper got cancelled and my friend forgot to call me ARGHHH!!!

So i drove back home. For suppper i ate onion soup and a grilled cheese ......and there comes the nice surprise....Even tough very light, the supper was enough to get me going through the whole evening. In fact, it is now 9.15 and i'm not hungry

Maybe i'm starting to get over the "addiction" fast food created. So that is at least a positive point in the evening!!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #22  
I climb mountains!

Congrat's, frenchie! Great news.....you're on your way, one decision at a time. So I guess that annoying experience was a blessing in disguise!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #23  

Default Thanks!!

I always beleive that there is a reason for everything happening in our lives..
Old 12-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #24  

Welcome welcome welcome!!

Glad to have you on board!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Way to go Frenchie!! You know sometimes I often have soup and a sandwich and it seems to fill me right up.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 AM   #26  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hey frenchiepolarbear nice to meet you. We share about the same goal. I'm shooting for 245 and then may go lower after I get there. I do 1800 calories a day and am one of the people who advocate a treat meal once a week. However it can lead to more if your not careful but it's something that really keeps me going. I get to feeling really deprived if I don't give myself once a week to eat the things I love.

I have not introduced exercise into my plan yet and really need to. I just keep puting it off. I have a bad back and can't do a lot of things but still need to something.

Anyway you found a great place for support and everyone here are really good people.

Last edited by howie6267; 12-07-2004 at 01:41 AM.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #27  

Default Ever tried swimming?

Hello Howie,

Nice to meet you...

Regarding your bad back, ever tried doing laps at the pool?Very complete exercise, without putting stress on your bones / muscles...
Old 12-07-2004, 11:11 AM   #28  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Yes I have and I just need to get off my but and join the local YMCA so I can do that. I've seen good results with just dieting so it's made the incentive less for the exercise. I know I would feel so much better if I did it though.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #29  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Frenchiepolarbear! Congratulations on making the decision for a better lifestyle. Sometimes that's one of the biggest obstacles to overcome! Everyone on this board is so friendly and helpful. You are going to do wonderful!!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:23 PM   #30  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

swimming is great i normally get about 30 laps in before the uni girls arrive in ther bikini's so not much swimming after that
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote