Old 08-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #166  

Height: 5'5"

Diane - Husbands being out of town = more time for us to do what we need to do! Hope your soreness was relieved by your daily activity. Barring that, I hope that your run went super well and that it worked out the soreness. I'm super excited that your food is on point, though. That, at least for me, tends to be the hardest thing.

Yesterday was pretty good. I did eat some (not very good) cookies that my stepson made, but that's always a worthwhile expenditure of calories. I did go up 0.4 pounds, but that's just normal fluctuation (or the price I paid for the cookies). I've been thinking a lot about maintaining my weight. I am a bit of a "gym rat," in that much of my days are arranged around my work-outs or walks. I can't decide if that's okay or not. My coworker runs nine miles in the morning, then doesn't think about it again all day. But if I were to force myself to get up in the mornings to work out, it would require me to go to bed earlier or to cut my average sleep from about 5-6 hours per night to 4-5, and I don't want to do either. On the other hand, maybe it's just in my head. I do walk a lot by extending my bathroom breaks or choosing stairs, etc., but that doesn't really interrupt my work flow. Maybe it's about time management skills more than it is about obsessing about work-outs. Ironically, I didn't even make it to the gym yesterday, though I did get 24,247 steps in. In fact, the more that I think about it, the more convinced I am that I need to make some adjustments to how I conduct my day-to-day business to make maintaining this weight loss seem more manageable. I also need to wrap my head around the fact that I don't want to maintain at this weight. I want to go about ten pounds lower and see how that feels. I have some definition in my stomach, but I'd like more. And I definitely want to reduce some of the chunk in my thighs and calves.

So...

Goals
1 - Create a reasonable to-do list this morning that contains all of my daily tasks - work, parenting, and personal obligations. Try to make this a habit.
2 - Go for a run at noon. Run for six miles. Don't increase pace, but do increase stamina.
3 - Eat reasonably. Avoid the candy dishes.
4 - Get in the gym this evening to lift weights.

Hope everyone has a great day. Even if y'all aren't checking in daily, I trust you're still rocking this, and can't wait to hear updates!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #167  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Laurie: I understand your thoughts about working out. Morning workouts aren't for everyone, that's for sure. Evidently, I do not stay up as late as you do, and I am very much a morning person. If I'm not in bed shortly after 10:00, I'm going to struggle the next day. And I do love having that workout done before my work day begins. But I also feel that I'm at my best when I have the morning workouts, and add the running 2-3 times/week and hiking a couple of times a week, too. That's a lot to commit to, though. And it feels like I get nothing done at home. So, it is a balancing act. I obviously don't know the answer!!! By the way, I like your goals!

For me, I did make it to running last night. It went very well, so I was pretty happy. I thought it would do more to work out the soreness. It helped, but I was still very stiff. I went to Body Pump this morning and that also helped, but I am still pretty stiff and sore. I am once again debating going to Body Flow to work on stretching and flexibility. Ugh. Not sure that it will happen. Overall, food was ok yesterday. My calories were on track, but some of the choices weren't the best. Today should be better!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #168  

Good morning!

Diane - Responses like yours make me so grateful for this forum. It is great to know that I am not alone. So many people talk about committing to exercise, and then follow up with regrets of not following through, but I think you and I are both on the other side of that. We know we can commit to a long-term, intense exercise plan, but also understand that there are drawbacks on that side as well. I love that you've found something that works. You say you don't know the answer, but it seems like me that your answers works very well for you. You back off when you need to, but follow through most of the time. I am hoping that a new time-management plan will provide the answers for me as well. Glad you're still doing great on calories, even if food wasn't optimal. The 25-s won't know what hit them, and won't have much time to ponder it, as you will be facing off against the 24-s before you know it!

I had a great day yesterday until I missed my work-out because of work demands. I even did a good job of restricting the food I ate for dinner. It wasn't until 9:00 p.m. that I decided to eat a bag of Pop Chips and a frozen waffle and three FiberOne brownies over the next three hours. Ugh. So, I didn't weigh this morning. I know I will pay for it with real weight, but I didn't need to see the high-carb, low-sleep boost until it chilled out a bit. Things are much better with the husband, though. Just wish we could reduce the drama. A lot.

Goals -
1 - Choose and install a new task management app on my phone
2 - Get the work-out in early.
3 - Avoid the bagels that I foolishly brought into work.
4 - Buy some fruit to sneak into the movie this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #169  
Diane

Laurie - Glad that what I posted helped you. But when I re-read it, it sounded like a bunch of rambling. Ha! That's kind of what it is like in my head sometimes, too. I guess you're right that we do kind of know what works for us. It is just putting it all together with everything else in life! I love when I can do most of what I plan for the week regarding exercise, and I know you do too. The benefits of strength and fitness certainly outweigh any drawbacks, in my opinion.

For me, I chose not to go workout today. I felt like I am just a little too stiff to go to Body Flow, and I wanted today to be a rest day. I have plans of hiking this weekend, and I want to be able to do it without feeling drained. Food was on plan yesterday, although dinner was on the salty side, so I felt a little bloated this morning. Didn't weigh as I don't need to see it today. Maybe tomorrow.

My plan/hope is to stay on track this weekend so that Monday can be a good weigh in day. Nothing special planned for the weekend, so it should be doable!!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #170  
Amanda

S/C/G: 272.5/see ticker/172.5

Height: 5'4

Hey, y'all! Just a quick update. Week has been crazy but mostly on track. I haven't been doing great with the water intake, but my diet has been pretty good and I've been making a concerted effort to take the stairs when possible. I haven't been weighing myself because I'm trying to focus more on how my body feels and responding to that.

More importantly, I'm in the middle of battening down the hatches for this hurricane that's hitting the coast tonight. I'm in San Antonio, which means I'm just inside the all the maps that show major flooding, winds that will destroy property, and probable power outages for the next few days. We're also receiving all the evacuees from the coast. Everyone is a little on edge and mostly making lots of jokes while raiding all the surrounding stores for water and non-perishables. The city is flood-prone as-is, so this weekend should be loads of fun.

Wish me luck!
DreadPiratePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #171  
Amanda

HOLY CRAP-BALLS, it just got upgraded to a Category 4! Pray for Texas, y'all!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #172  

Panda! I'm praying for you and the people of Texas. Hope you are safe.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #173  

Good morning!

Amanda! - So good to hear from you. Things are looking bad in Texas. Would love it if you could check in soon to let us know you're okay. Glad that the diet and the stairs are on point. The water will be close behind, I'm sure.

Diane - Hope you had a great weekend on the food front, and that you were able to have a great hiking adventure. As the weather is turning cooler, I am really wanting to take advantage of being able to be outside without it being either too hot or too cold. Fall is lovely. And I totally agree with you. Even though making time for working out means that we have less time for other, genuinely important, things -- the strength and the fitness are definitely worth it.

Lilion - Ditto!

I went to an amusement park with my daughter yesterday. It was amazing not to have to worry about fitting into the rides. About 14 months ago, I was thrown off a ride because the safety light would not go on, no matter how much the attendant tried to push the safety bar down. I'd ridden that ride earlier in the day, so it was especially heartbreaking, and I encouraged the attendant to push harder because I was sure it could work. And it didn't. None of those problems yesterday.

Still trying to figure out the balance thing with my fitness, but it went pretty well this weekend. I had a 9:00 - 10:00 appointment and a noon to 1:00 appointment, so I just packed my gym bag and lifted weights between the two. Sunday, I just got up and went for a run to start my day. I am trying to reduce my walking to 20K a day, though. I've gotten a bit out of control, and I think I should be using that time for other things.

Today's goals -
1 - Go for a run at work today. (I kind of want to lift weights, but that's a bigger time commitment, cuz I have to drive to the gym.)
2 - Get 20K steps.
3 - Do some body weight exercises today (so I can do them anywhere). 3 sets of push-ups, 3 sets of planks, 3 sets of wall sits.
4 - Focus on getting work done efficiently and using my time productively.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #174  
Diane

Dread: It is just awful down there! I hope you stay safe and dry. Like Laurie said, keep us updated!

Laurie: That's great that you were able to do the rides without worry! Another one of those every day things that can be such a hindrance when you can't participate. Good for you for making it to the point that you can be there and have fun!

For me, the weekend was such a bust... I was doing well and then while I was playing with our dog, he ran into my knee on the front. It isn't horribly damaged or anything like that, but sore enough that I couldn't go hiking. Kind of took the wind out of my sails and then I wasn't great on food over the weekend. Well, hopefully it gets better by next weekend because I actually have a 4 day weekend. I had already planned a bigger hike, and I want to be able to keep it. Should be fine by then.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #175  
Amanda

I'm alive and safe and dry! San Antonio (in a very "there but for the grace of God, go I" situation) avoided the worst of it, but everyone south and east of us is getting pummeled. Houston is literally under water, and the coast is completely destroyed and devastated (above and beyond Hurricane Katrina). My family has been evacuated out of the coastal cities, and everyone here knows someone or is related to someone being flooded out. It's awful right now. A lot of my friends have gone to Houston and Rockport and Port Aransas and Corpus, with their boats and trucks and kayaks and jet skis and supplies, all to be part of the rescue efforts because the help and aid from the government just isn't enough. It's just awful to watch and my Facebook is constantly filled with pleas for help from people in Houston who need to be rescued and evacuated from flooded buildings. Thankfully, they've all been slowly getting rescued (by official channels and unofficial as well), but the stories of people dying are so, SO heartbreaking.

It's been a rough few days. I'm just going to keep trying to donate and send supplies and pray. The storm is supposed to make a third freaking landfall right next to Houston again.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #176  

Good morning!

Amanda - So glad you're okay, and that your family is safe. You're right, though. It is heartbreaking to watch the tragedies unfold there. But you're a great example to follow. Instead of just watch and worry, I am going to donate too. Your friends who are chipping into the rescue effort are awesome.

Diane - I hate it when something triggers an avalanche of problems. Just another manifestation of how much mental effort this requires. I, too, get thrown off track when I can't exercise as planned, and disruption to my plans can trigger me to make poor decisions after that. But, your determination to bounce back from one bad weekend into a great weekend demonstrates what a seasoned veteran you are. Woot for four-day weekends!

So, yesterday, I kept trying to escape work and get out for my run, then finally decided to leave on time (I almost always stay at least an hour late) and just do it as soon as I got home. I changed into my running gear, went out, and after less than a minute, just decided that I didn't want to go. I bargained with myself that I could have a rest day if I didn't get out of control with food when I got home. I decided I would eat 5 almonds as a snack while I waited for dinner to be prepared. I ate those five almonds, then decided I could have another five almonds. A whole lot of bargaining followed, but the upshot is that I ate three pieces of toast, a FiberOne Brownie, and a (very small) Rice Krispies treat. While I waited for the oven to cook dinner. Then, I ate dinner. The best I could do at that point was to leave the house to go for a walk and try to break the cycle. I did better after that, though I did eat a final piece of toast right before bed. UGH.

I resolved to once again try to shift to a morning work-out schedule. This is something I haven't tried for a decade or so. But I set out my clothes, went to bed early, set three alarms, and finally talked my sleepy butt out of bed this morning at 5:45. I hit the streets by 6, then had a relatively easy run, completing my 4.2 miles in record time (for me) without stopping (except for when I needed to go over a low fence). I paced it at 10:15 minutes per mile. Not setting any world records, but it feels good to see the improvement. I also think the relative ease of the run has a lot to do with all of the carbs I took in yesterday. Ultimately, I would rather have a leaner body than get good run times, but maybe I can move toward a bit of balance here too. Maybe I'll start enjoying a half-cup of Grape Nuts daily? (I love them, but they're very high-cal, so haven't eaten them in years.) And maybe -- MAYBE -- I'll stop having binge days like yesterday if I am indulging a bit more often?

Goals -
1 - Start my day with a to-do list. (I haven't actually adopted this habit yet, but I think it's a good one to do.)
2 - Get my 20K steps in.
3 - Go lift some weights.
4 - Get to bed early tonight so I can work out first thing in the morning.
5 - Weigh tomorrow. (I skipped this morning because of my carb overload yesterday. Nobody needs to see that!)

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 08-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #177  
Diane

Laurie: Oh, that time between getting home from work and having dinner is such a tough time of day. I have to really watch it or I could snack away during that entire time. Ugh! Congrats on the running!! That is a good time, I'm impressed!

Dread: It is awful for the people of Texas. I am glad you are safe!

Not much new for me. I took off another day just to be sure, but hopefully I can go back to workouts tomorrow. Makes me anxious to not be there. I was hoping for some lifting this morning, but I figured I need to be patient.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #178  

Hey all, just a flyby to say I'm still plogging along. Eating is so-so. Working out? Eh. I've been terribly busy and I'm running home at lunch every day to give my little Suzie her meds. We finally got a second opinion and she's better with a ton of medicine...but we're waking up to a dry crate and she isn't seizing - which was scary. Up side to a ton of meds is she has to have one at 5:30 a.m...and since I'm up that early I may as well get on the darn elliptical for a bit. So there's that. She's actually well enough I'm not worried about leaving her (at the vet) when we go on vacation Saturday. She and her brother will be kenneled separately. That will not make them happy.

Getting ready for the vacay to take some of that leave before I lose it. I have SO much racked up...so of course, to get ahead so I'm not behind when I get back, I'm working (unpaid) overtime. It's what I do. My husband has said before, "It'll be nice when we go on vacation so I can see you occasionally."

NSV - went through some old clothes I'd bagged up to donate and now have a "new" pair of jeans for my trip! I'd decided I'd never wear them again - size 20 - and literally I bet I only wore them half a dozen times when I did that. They fit better now than when I bought them!

Gotta run. Love to you all and Panda - continued prayers for you and yours and all the folks that way.

Last edited by Lilion; 08-29-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #179  
Diane

Hey Lilion: Glad to see your post today! Sounds like maybe some better news for you on the dog issue. I'm sure it is so much easier to not have seizing and other issues. At least you might be able to get a nice vacation in and get to relax!! Way to go on getting on the elliptical in the morning.

For me, nothing new. It is a plugging along kind of week for me. Nothing devastating, nothing spectacular!!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #180  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind if I join in! I feel like I have old friends on hear Laurie, Diane and Amanda, I remember you from before and I'm so glad to see old friends still on here. I don't know if you remember me but I definitely remember you and I'm sorry for my inadvertent disappearing act.

I've been away from 3FC and a "weight loss journey" for a little over 18 months or so. I've still been weighing and weighing my food and tracking calories because that's just a thing I do as routine, but not necessarily eating low cal. I've held steady in the 160s during that period and eat mostly paleo-ish now- not for weight loss (goodness knows I'm the one who gained weight on Whole 30) but because I want to try to stick to a mostly real food diet. I had a good time just living in maintenance and not actively trying to eat lower calories (ending up mostly in the 1800-2000 range). So why am I back?

1.) In the past few months my weight has been steadily creeping upwards into the 170s and today I weighed 180 (I know it's a combination of period, constipation and DOMS-related but still!) and I need accountability to get down to the 155-165 range, I want to be for maintenance. I basically need to drop 20-25lbs or so to get back to my goal.

2.) Also, whilst I was away I sort of gave up exercising and am now super unfit. I don't have any major fitness aspirations. I just want to give at least 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to working out in some way even if it's going for a walk. I've read back a few pages and I'm so inspired by you ladies and I want to be fit too, so I'm hoping for accountability and support for that as well.

I feel like this is all going to go really slowly because I have to confess, I don't have the discipline I had when I lost the bulk of my weight years ago. So much has happened in the last year that's just left me with a kinder attitude to myself vis-a-vis weight loss, which just means that everything takes longer. All of that is just basically fancy talk for: I've gotten incredibly lazy regarding how hard I'm willing to push myself. That said, just reading the past few pages, I'm feeling the motivation of doing this not by myself but with a group out like-minded people. I'm looking forward to hopefully rekindling old friendships and starting new ones. Amanda, I'm definitely praying for you all in Texas.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 08-30-2017 at 01:55 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote