Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:26 AM   #16  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Jen - Hugs. I hope you can face what it is that's bugging you and fix it. We're here for you!

Okay, girlies, I was so excited yesterday when a friend of mine and I touched base. It felt good to have contact with an old friend. IT IS SO HARD TO MAKE FRIENDS! I sat down and tried to think how I met my closest friends and it's all in situations that I can't repeat. Like I lived in a commune for a couple of years and I met one girl that way. Another from high school. Another was a friend of my Cute Boyfriend. Now that I'm in college, I thought I would find a lot of people I would become friends with but it's a community college and they are mostly 17 and 18 year olds. Not that it's a bad thing but we have very little to relate to. I get a long great with the teachers! HA! I miss having people that are really close to me. SIGH!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

That's great that you were able to connect with an old friend. I reconnected with an old friend over the weekend--it was wonderful!

I know what you mean about making new friends. Let me tell you, the older you get, the harder it gets. I've moved four times in the past 20 years, and I've made friends in each town, but then it doesn't last once I've moved again. My really good friends, whom I made in my 20s, have stuck by me through every move. Unfortunately, two of them have died in the past 10 years, which was quite a bummer. Besides losing the friend, you lose a chunk of your history, too.

It's almost like I don't want to put any effort into making friends anymore, you know?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:52 PM   #18  

Jessica, I understand what you mean about making friends. I am still pretty lonely here in Arizona, and I've been here 3 years. It doesn't seem as easy as it used to, and I have the advantage of my kids friends parents. I will say that the people I am now closest to are people I never would have thought I'd be friends with ten years ago. I thought the same when I started community college after I moved, but BOY was I wrong!!
It is always so wonderful to touch base with an old friend.

Me, I'm doing just fine. I don't have much going on this week, except my in laws coming for a visit. It should be OK, I mean I'm in class all day on Saturday and they leave Sunday morning, so I won't see much of them (and I am just so upset).

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #19  

Jennelle : Thank you for the greeting and pointing that out to me. I've been working hard at changing my self negativity, It's pretty much been ingrained into my head by other people throughout my life. I'm usually really good about being positive anymore but every once in a while my radar goes down and that negativity creeps right by. If any one ever catches me doing that again then please feel free to point it out .

It is so hard to make friends, I agree with everyone. As a kid we moved 19 times in my first 20 years (that's not including all the times we can't remember). I've been here for 7 years now and still don't have any close friends at all. Well, except for my boyfriends 2 guy friends but that just doesn't replace having another girl to hang out with and relate to. That is why I like coming here to see what you all you girls (and guys) are up to. Everyone is just so nice and helpful. I wish I could find people like you all out in our town. I know they're out there but darn it where?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:25 AM   #20  

I know exactly what you mean about making friends. I was born in raised in Southern California and had several really good friends there that I had been friends with for a long time. I moved to Kansas about 9 years ago, and I've yet to make any really close friends.

I have some good friends that I made at church, but not anyone that I was as close to as I still am to my best friend from high school. I haven't seen her in 8 years, she's never met my husband, or seen my last 3 kids, but she's still my best friend.

It seems like it's just so hard to make friends once you get older. You want to, and I don't know why it's so much harder. Maybe it's because we just don't have as much time once we have a husband and kids to take care of.

It's definitely important though. Having a good friend to talk to and rant and rave to can really help a lot!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #21  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Jen.. I understand alot about meeting friends. My problme - I MOVE TOO MUCH. Last I had to do my background check for my NEW job - they wanted to know my addresses for the past 7 years. I had to list 8 places!!!!!
(good thing I had all my INS papers otherwise I wouldn't have remembered all the addresses)

Jen - you have to take risks meeting friends. Here is the goofy thing I did when I moved to Ottawa, Canada: I knew there was a young couple next door (I knew they just moved in too) - I knocked on their door and asked them over for dinner. We have been friends ever since.

Down here in the states I have noticed it has been harder. You Yanks aren't going to want to hear this ... but... Americans aren't as outing as us Canadians are. Don't know why Americans seem to be more caucious of your personal space. Just a thought. I have yet to meet anyone close here in Green Bay.

When I lived in Eau Claire WI I met some close friends. Maybe it was the courage to bring out the real me - not try to impress people. That way I attracted people like me

Dana
Old 04-09-2003, 10:36 AM   #22  

Well this week has been a waist. I got off program, and can't seem to find my way back. I'm getting really mad. I also gained about 8 lbs (I can tell it's water, i'm bloated!!) I have already cheeted today. I had about 5 starbursts and half of my daughters breadfast bar.

It is getting quite depressing.

One good thing that happened this week is that I got another job. I will start in about a month at a new target distribution center. It pays good, but the hours arn't great. I'll be working from 4pm-2am. But I'll deal with it.

I didn't get the house, my husband's credit report is still showing bills that were paid off 2 years ago. So I have to get that fixed and then we will re-apply.

Well I'm currently at school so I must let you go for now. I'll try to get on later tonight!

Bella23
Closed Thread