Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #1  
Out is Through

Default A sugary situation!

Hello Chickies I know I haven't posted in quite a while, but I've missed you all and will post a longer update when I get home from class tonight.

I've been tracking my food on The Daily Plate and have noticed my sugar intake has always been in the red zone. It really aggravates me because I'm not eating any garbage; all my sugar comes from fruit, vegetables, and one cup of Kashi cereal that I eat every morning.

Should I be worried? I researched and the recommended daily allowance is 40g, and I'm double that! My mother is borderline diabetic, and although I'm only 23 I don't want to go down that path. I do have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome), diagnosed when I was 16. My hormone levels are now normal with my lifestyle change, I'm not on any meds. My sugar has never been high, I get blood tests regularly.

Should I cut the sugar? Am I being overly paranoid since all "sugar" is not created equal? (pectin vs. HFCS) The only two sweeteners I add to tea would be light agave nectar or a teaspoon of organic cane sugar.

For those that are tracking, what is your average daily sugar intake?

-Stephy

Last edited by Creeech; 09-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #2  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I'm not sure I would worry if you really are getting sugars from fruits especially. The sugar in them isn't at all like regular sugar. I think I remember reading before too that it is even dealt with in the body different then regular sugar. I'm no expert though. I follow South Beach because I too suffer from PCOS, and I really think following the guidelines have really helped my symptoms. Really I check every label and look for the smallest amount to no sugar in everything I eat.
Hopefully someone who really knows the research will answer you!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #3  
Out is Through

Thank you for responding I'd love to chat with you about PCOS and what symptoms you've experienced and how you cope, etc.

What site do you use for your blog? Mine's invite-only as well, wanna' swap?
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote