Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Protein help

I don't know why i thought to do this, but I averaged out my calories for the month to see why I'm sitting where I am . . . . having some bad bad days (by bad I mean LOW, really low) I am WAY too deficient in protein.

Not to mention my calories in was averaging 1100 a day . . . that's just not enough. No wonder I can't seem to move past the 180's.

So, not being a bean or tofu eater, I'm sorry to those that like them but the texture is just not at all something I can manage to get down.

What are some alternatives you all have to fish or chicken?
I have toyed with the idea of protein powder in a smoothy, but even that I'm unsure of as there are so many choices (and being picky, I don't like vanilla or chocolate - so wrong I know )

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #2  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Hubby eats beef jerky.
But I would think....
eggs
peanutbutter
spinach
whole wheat products

go to www.fatfreekitchen.com its a cool site that tells you anything you might want to know
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #3  
Out is Through

I find if you slice tofu very thin and bake it, it loses it's "squishy" texture and becomes a bit crispy. If you really can't stomach it, I would suggest Morningstar Farms products..a bit on the processed side but see if it works for you. Hmm, how about quinoa?

Happy Herbivore has a lot of great low-fat vegan recipes as well..I can't post the link so you'd have to google it
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #4  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hey Coondocks!

I would suggest....

egg whites (with up to 1 yolk per day)
lean pork, like pork tenderloin
water packed tuna
shirataki noodles (order at lowcarbgrocery.com)
extra lean ground beef or turkey
kidney beans, navy beans, chick peas
brown rice
cheddar cheese
pumpkin seeds
yogurt

that's all I can think of...but I think the winner for protein is lean beef in terms of protein/serving.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #5  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I like the suggestions so far. I keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge because I've found that if I'm craving something and can't figure out what it is, it's because I'm low on protein. They make a good quick snack and keep me from grazing.

Also, we're trying my son on a no to low dairy diet right now and I make him an almond milk smoothie every morning. It's 1/2 a frozen banana (I keep a bag of them in the freezer), 5 frozen strawberries, any flavor almond milk, and when I'm making one for myself I add a scoop of protein powder. Doesn't matter what flavor of powder, because you really can't even taste it. I imagine you can add yogurt for more protein also.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote