Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #1  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

Lightbulb DR. OZ / You on a Diet

Okay guys--since a lot of us are reading his book I thought we could post some of his tidbits that we found interesting, questionable, or just worth sharing.

For optimum health a woman's waist should be no bigger than 32 1/2 and 35 for a man. Measure at the belly button. You need to switch your focus from a number that measures your weight to one that measures your waist. Because of its proximity to your organs, your belly fat is the most dangerous fat you can carry.

Don't eat foods that have any of the following listed as one of the first five ingredients:
**simple sugars
**enriched, bleached, or refined flour
**HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)

Okay--it's your turn!
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 222/127/120

Height: 5'4"

Adding on to what Lea Ann said. Speaking of waist size...Here's another thing that Dr. Oz says...

Stepping on a scale is the primary way that people measure the success of their diet, Dr. Oz says, "because it's easy to do. But it's actually misleading in many ways."

For one thing, muscle weighs more than fat. By turning fat to muscle, you'll weigh more even though you'll be healthier. Also, weight doesn't tell you where the fat is. Fat around your legs and thighs is relatively harmless, but fat around your waist can lead to serious medical problems.

Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, Dr. Oz says to focus on the number around your waist.

Here's another thing that I found really interesting:

Here's a surprise—the most powerful muscle in your body could be making you fat. Here's another—that muscle is your tongue!

"First of all, the tongue makes us incredibly good at eating," Dr. Oz says. "Human beings don't waste any calories. We put food in our mouth and we get the calories out because the tongue moves the food around a lot and our teeth embed against each other. … Now, because we're efficient like that, we extract all the calories. Our tongue also tells us what kinds of food to eat."

Dr. Oz says that you can learn a lot about your body by knowing if you're an "undertaster," a "supertaster," or someplace in the middle. To find out which you are, stir a packet of Sweet 'n Low into about four ounces of water. Taste it. Is it sweet or bitter?

"If it tastes bitter it means that saccharin overpowered your taste buds, which means you're a supertaster," he says. "Supertasters don't like vegetables and fruits. They taste too pungent, too strong, for them. They need to take a multivitamin because if you don't like to eat those foods, you need to get that nutrition somewhere else."

"If the mixture tastes sweet, you're an undertaster," Dr. Oz says. "It means that you're going to crave a lot of foods because you can never satisfy your palate."

"Our taste buds behave differently," he says. "About the only thing we can really alter is our craving of fat, which is acquired. The rest of our traits tend to be inherited."
winkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #3  
Maintainer

Something else.....Sorry guys, but I just want all of you to know these things.

Here you go:

The foods you crave, and when you crave them, might just depend on your mood. "Our bodies are designed to fulfill our needs," Dr. Oz says. "The gut and the brain are the two most closely related organs. So it makes perfect sense that the foods we eat change the way our brains function."

Dr. Oz says the following cravings could mean you are feeling these moods:

Meat could mean you're angry
Sweets might be a sign of depression
Ice cream might mean you're anxious
Salty snacks could mean you're stressed
Pasta might signal loneliness or sexual frustration
All of the above might mean you're just a little bit jealous

And the intersection of food and mood doesn't stop at cravings. It also involves how we can proactively affect our emotions. "If you're depressed, you should take omega-3 fatty acids, especially women who are having babies," Dr. Oz says. "That baby sucks all that healthy fat out of your body and you get depressed after you have this beautiful, brilliant wonderful baby."
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #4  
Kim - IP 9/10

Just a note.....On the DHC show, Dr Oz had the participants suck in their stomachs as much as possible when measuring.
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #5  
on LAWL

Evette--don't apologize--keep posting!!
Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  
Maintainer

That's all I got so far Lea Ann. I'm glad you're enjoying the book as much as I am. I'm slowly reading through the book!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #7  
on LAWL

Every pound of muscle burns between 40 and 120 calories a day just to sustain itself, while every pound of fat feeds on only 1-3 calories.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #8  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi girlies....it's been a busy busy morning here. I wanted to ask you all what you think of the whole "inflatmmation" theory. I find it difficult to understand the whole concept he is making........and I have read plenty of textbooks about stuff like this. I have only read like the first 70 pages or so of the book, and I love it. I think it will be one I want everyone I love to read I will try and find a couple of the excerpts that are confusing to me later on, or tomorrow. I am really excited that we are all reading this. It is good to beable to bounce ideas off of one another.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #9  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

I'm not reading the book, so I'm loving this thread! Thanks for starting it LeaAnn, and to all the contributors...thanks a bunch! Kim's right, he definitely told those folks to suck in their tummies when he was measuring. It helps a lot!

Nicole - what's his inflammation theory?

Last edited by Joni135; 11-07-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #10  
Post-Master

I tried to find a quote this a.m. to see if I could use his words, but my two year old baby thinks mommy should NOT read when the sun is out. He is sitting on my lap as I type. I have skills Anyway.....it is something to the effect that inflammation makes you fat. That the foods you eat, the bad ones cause inflammation in your digestive system, and then it doesn't work properly. The entire digestive system is super complex, and I do not understand the whole thing. I am just so used to inflammation being used in the context of arthiritis or infection, that it is hard for me to wrap my brain around it as far as simply not functioning to it's full potential. Lee Ann, Evette, am I just reading too much into it? Have you noticed the word inflammation used like crazy? Sometimes, I tend to pick a book apart and question it more than just enjoy it........but it is hard not to. I guess I wish the authors cited more of their claims, and then I could check it out and feel more comfortable.

Although the definition from dictionary.com is:

–noun 1. Pathology. redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, heat, and disturbed function of an area of the body, esp. as a reaction of tissues to injurious agent.

I don't know.........I guess it just makes it seem confusing to me.....
Old 11-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #11  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Just on the issue of inflammation, I have this to stay. As I have gotten older, my body seems to be in a state of inflammation 75% of the time. I cannot pinpoint what food, vitamins, etc., make it worse. There is no rhyme or reason. It's not fibromyalgia, and I've had some blood work done for arthritis; nothing. So, I tend to read a lot of articles on the topic to see if something jumps out and applies to me. That's why I asked.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #12  
Maintainer

Can't really answer your question yet because I haven't got to that part of the book.?. Maybe I just skipped right over the inflammation parts. I guess I'm not reading in to it as much as you are. Sorry I did ask my co-worker and she did mention that Dr. Perricone mentioned the inflammation theory a lot in his books. He basically talked about foods you should stay away from. Foods that cause organ inflammation.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #13  
Post-Master

well then Joni.........I will try to find some time later or tonight to find some excerpts
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #14  
Post-Master

Ok Joni.....here is one excerpt. I am getting more comfortable with this as I have read and re-read, and talked with my sister over this issue:

this is from page 74 if anyone is interested.

"At the intestinal level, foods can cause inflammation of your intestinal wall through such things as allergies, bacteria, or other toxins. When food incites inflammatory responses in your gut, it's as if a grenade has been launched thrroughout your digestive system (see figure 4.1 on page 81). Then in response to this already damaging grenade, your body tosses more grenades to create an apocalyptic digestive War of the Worlds. The effect is that the more inflammation we have in our intestines, the more toxins can enter our bloodstream.

During this firefight along the digestive border, your body perceives a foreign intruder and assigns its special forces--mast cells and macrophages--to eliminate the culprit. These are the cells that start and immune-response process throughout your body by ingesting foreign elements and alerting the rest of your body's protecting cells that intruders have entered the area. Foods that don't agree with your body's sensibilities are seen as foreign invaders, so the macrophages attack these foods and tell everyone that this war is going on. This causes your whole body to start firing away at these foods and at innocent bystanders--and thus causes inflammation in your bloodstream. (**this is the part that has me confused......the inflammation in the bloodstream...does he mean inflammation of the blood vessels???**) that way, eating unhealthy food is really like having a chronic infection that triggers an immune response, which then causes inflammation.

One of your body's goals is to get glucose into your brain cells--to feed those brain cells so that they can function. But inflammation in your body prevents sugar from getting to those cells, so you end up wanting more glucose and eating more sugary foods, which then increase inflammation and starts the whole cycle again. (**again, my question is, does he mean that sugar causes inflammation??**)

While we should be concerned about decreasing our body fat, we should also concentrate on decreasing our body's inflammatory response so we become more efficient in managaing potential complications of our waist size. There's some genetic component to inflammation (some of us have more than others, and smokers tend to have higher levels of inflammation that nonsmokers). Most important, the process of gaining weight if often a process of inflammation. YYOU-reka! When you decrease your body's inflammatory response, you will decrease your weight and waist as well.

The more inflammation you have, the less efficiently you use your food calories, and the worse you feel. The worse you feel, the more bad foods you eat to try to make yourself feel better. The more bad foods you eat, the less well you can respond to the normal stresses of life, and the more inflammation you experience. And the more inflammation you have, the higher your risk of developing:
*Diabetes
*High blood pressure
*bad choloesterol numbers
*and all f the other conditions that contribute to your increase in size and your decrease in health.

Plain and simple: Inflammation ages your body by making your arteries less elastice and by increasing atherosclerosis (the rusting of blood vessels). Inflammation also makes it more likely that your DNA will be damaged, and a cell will become cancerous. And it increases your risk of infections. If the inflammatory mediators are fighting in the arteries, they can't be defending elsewhere, and this situation increases the risk that your body will turn on itself, causing an autoimmune disease in which you attack your own tissues (for example,s ome forms of rheumatiod arthritis and thyroid disease).

Inflammation stresses your body.

Inflammation fattens your body.

Obesity isn't just a desease of doughnuts and bake ziti. Obesity is a disease of inflammation. As we travel through the rest of our digestive journey, we'll be stopping at three digestive landmarks to see how foods influence inflammation, and how inflammation influences fat."

Ok, I can try for more later.......it is pretty involved, but very very very interesting.

I will paraphrase a bit, as i looked toward the end of this chapter....he says these are foods that are known to help fight inflammation:
*Omega 3-Fatty acids....found in fish oils..he recommends three 4 oz. servings of fish per week, or a 2-gram fish oil capsule a day or an ounce of walnuts a day.
*Green Tea..."Studies have found taht drining three glasses of green tea a day reduced body weight and wasit circumference by 5 percent n three months. It also increased metabolism."

The authors also say the following substances MAY help fight inflammation:
*Beer (in moderation)
*Timeric--a pinch
*Jojoba Beans (they really are seeds)...dose is about 2.5 grams to 5 grams for most people (50 kilograms per kilogram of weight)

They also list the following they may have anti-inflammatory effects:

*Soybeans and all soy products
*Flaxsee, flaxseed oil, whole grains such as rye
*Tea, fruits, vegatables
*Cruciferous vegetables such as brocollli and cauliflower
*Rosemary
*Red wine, grapes, red or purple grape juice
*Dark chocolate
*Cabbage, spinach, garlic

Ok, ladies, I have to get back to my boys. Sorry if there are a ton of typos in here, I typed real real fast Does anyone have any comments on this inflammation theory. I realize that more info is needed, and I will try to add to it as time permits, but what is your gut instinct on this info????
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #15  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Thanks for posting all this information. I'm not sure if I have a valid opinion to share. I need to pay attention to the foods to eat to decrease my inflammation and see if that helps...not so sure beer helps with the inflammation, except beer does act like a diuretic sometimes! Red wine sounds like it might be healthier in the long run over beer.

Nicole - have you checked any of the other threads at 3 Fat Chicks main site to see if anyone else is discussion the whole inflammation thing. You never know.