Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default No, I don't really want to write out exactly what I eat

I have a co-worker who stopped me a little annoyed because I was "supposed to write out what she should eat." What? She stops me every time she sees me and asks what I'm doing and I keep telling her the same thing over and over again. Today she got a little upset because I hadn't written it out yet.

A). I didn't know she wanted me to. B). I'm not a science experiment! And I'm not a diet book. I do not eat the same thing every day! How can I write it out? And I don't journal.

Six mini meals...200 calories each. For me personally, I've had to play with the nutritional value of those 200 calories. What works for me is not going to work for her.

Thanks for listening! Knew you guys would understand.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Is she trying to lose weight also? If so, maybe she feels 'desperate' like she can't do it on her own, and has been so inspired by your loss that she feels hopeful if she can do it just like you. I know how it feels to be in that spot, where I just wanted somebody to tell me what to eat and 'make it all better'. If this is the case, consider it a form of flattery because you're now a role model.

But, even if that is the case, I wouldn't write out more than one or two days worth. If you help her get on track, she'll still have to work at it on her own if she's ever going to be successful.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Ugh. Don't you love how everyone wants that, "one size fits all" mentality about everything, but if you tell them that they're sheeplike they get offended? Maybe she was just after ideas? Menu plans? Sit down and explain that healthy living is not a one size fits all, that x worked for you but you know that y worked for one person and x worked for another. That it's on HER to make the choice and the changes. And you know, if you give her a weeks worth of menus and she gains? That'll somehow come out to be your fault....
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Oh, that's just ridiculous. I would just tell her you've told her several times and laugh it off when she suggests you write out what you eat for her. Just laugh and say "I'm not going to write everything out -- but I've told you, six meals 200 cals each" and drop it.

If she keeps bugging you, just say you do not want to discuss you're weight loss journey anymore. It's personal.

You can't control how she'll react, but my goodness, I would go nuts being continually badgered like that!! Good luck.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I wouldn't bother writing one at all .

There so many menu plans online at different calorie levels. Tell her to just pick a sensible one and go with it.

Here's the ones at

http://diabeticgourmet.com/Food_and_...Meal_Planning/

Scroll towards the middle and select the style/calorie level and then print. There!

Tell her it is a starting point but she will have to fine tune it for herself and her style/needs.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-16-2010 at 09:29 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This person, in effect, wants a doctor's prescription -- or maybe it would be more accurate to say, she wants a session with a professional dietician.

Congratulations on being raised to a professional level, in her mind.

And yeah, I'd hate it, too. Because now you need to take out malpractice insurance if it doesn't work for her, as she may be bad-mouthing you to friends or at least be disapppointed personally.

And what if she hates the foods you've found you love & have now become acclimated to eating?

She's not ready to do the work. She needs to go out there & actively search out information about food on her own. That is what motivated people do. They become active agents in their own weight loss -- & that starts with educating themselves about what they've been so unthinkingly putting into their mouths. It's their own individual research project. Not a paper that someone else writes for them & hands over to them.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

[QUOTE=saef;3250789

And what if she hates the foods you've found you love & have now become acclimated to eating?
[/QUOTE]

Ok, you just spun off a whole new thread...

"Do you suddenly eat "weird?"

Last edited by Eliana; 04-16-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

oh, come on! Write it out for her...help the girl out!!!

Breakfast
200 calories (Food: whatever YOU prefer)

Morning Snack

Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

Evening Snack

maybe THAT will finally get your point across!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #9  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I would tell her she what worked for you may not work for her and she needs to find something she can do the rest of HER life.

Sandi - I like that too...or a one liner 6 meals @ 200 calories...food choice optional.

Last edited by jigglefree; 04-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like she is going to you hoping that you will give her an "easy and no work" way to lose weight.

But you are so right, it's definitely not something you can out on paper.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #11  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

@ Sandi!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

How annoying! I'd probably say something to the effect of she needs to figure out her meal plans for herself. I'd probably tell her she can write out her meal plans and you don't mind giving her some pointers.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

I'd opt for kind... I'd write out a couple of days worth of my meals. And then I'd tell her that if she needs more information, there are plenty of better resources, and you don't want to do any more of it. With a smile.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/241/145

Height: 5'4''

Yuck, how trying. I would send her a link to google.
graceandbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

lol @ Sandi!!

But I'd do what JayEll said and write out a couple of days worth of what I ate as an example, and just repeat the point that it's not a magic formula, it's just eating small portions of healthy foods consistently.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote