Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 313/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatewoman View Post
When I told a friend that I was having alot of trouble staying on my diet, he replied "Just eat like a normal person".
LOL if we could all do that none of us would be overweight lol

I remember being pretty young and my mom made this dish that consisted of white pasta and some gross red sauce, she would make a giant batch and eat it for every meal, and apparently that was the key to weight loss. I think this was early 90's, and at this time the key was to load up on carbs lol
nicoledg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

My dad always said "If you want to lose weight, just shut your big mouth!" I got big by being in starvation mode from not eating enough and eating junk. I eat more on a diet than I can handle. This is so stupid. Dr. Phill says it too.
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #138  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

"Don't eat anything except a hamburger patty and a slice of tomato every day"

courtesy of a family member!
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

My best friend tried to get me to do a no-sugar, no-flour/wheat diet from her neighbor. Which i know works for some people, but she also suggested that we try things like:
Parmesan fried chicken
Full-fat dressing
whipped cream...the homemade type, from actual cream.
French fries
All of which fit into this crazy diet because they lack sugar or wheat. We were also supposed to have at least two tablespoons of butter with lunch and dinner.
Needless to say, I've had a lot more success with WW than she has had with this....
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #140  

My older sister told me to do sit ups while sucking in my stomach. All that happened was I couldn't breathe.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #141  
Reluctant Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajowens View Post
My dad always said "If you want to lose weight, just shut your big mouth!" I got big by being in starvation mode from not eating enough and eating junk. I eat more on a diet than I can handle. This is so stupid. Dr. Phill says it too.
Yeah, I relate... my first "diets" were courtesy of my stepmom, who really meant well, but who had me on a 500-calorie-a-day plan when I was about 21 years old. (She was a former Miss Nevada -- who was I to argue??) WHY wasn't I losing weight, we wonder??? We've learned so much since then.

I still think one of the reasons I struggle with weight loss to this day is because of that rotten starvation diet!! Yeesh.
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

My mom's old diaries from when she was in her 20's are FULL of weeks of her doing the "grapefruit-and-egg" diet. That's all she'd eat, grapefruit and eggs...
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie+J View Post
the weirdest one i heard was that you should drink icy cold water, because when it hits your stomach, your body has to warm it up before it can be any use, so it burns calories getting it to the right temperature!!!
OMG I thought I had made that up! I'm working on a comedic novel and one of the characters is always doing fad diets and one of them is the frozen food diet. You can eat whatever you want as long as it's frozen since your body will burn all the calories warming it up! Of course it doesn't work because she lives off of icecream.

Loving this thread. Am I the only one who did Formula 1? My mom started taking it when I was in high school and I talked her into getting me some too. It made you seriously wired too but they pulled it after someone had a heart attack. Given that several people I know were taking 5x the dose I would totally still be taking it at the recommended level if it were available.

Worst diet advise I ever received? I had a nutritionist at a health fare tell me that volume was the only important factor in eating. If you ate 3 cups of lettuce your body would freak out and turn it all into fat. However if I limited myself to say 1 cup of ice cream then my body would treat it like normal.

I also had a doctor print out the diabetic diet guide, remove all fats and sugars from it; hand it to me with instructions to stay between 1000-1200 calories a day and come back in a year. Oh yeah and he put me on blood sugar medicine without testing my blood sugar first knowing my sister was hypoglycemic. Passed out at work from a blood sugar crash. Never went back to that doctor but my parents still use him. Now he has my mother on an 1200 calorie a day diet where 3 days a week she's only allowed to eat spinach and sugar free jello (no joke) and my 6 ft 3 dad on a 1500 calorie a day diet with the same 3 day spinach fast. :P
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #144  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Folks talking of the diets their mothers were on reminds me, in the late 60's early 70's Dr.s were still prescribing what we know today as "speed, white cross, etc." as a diet aid.
OMG!

I remember my Mom and several friends/neighbors/relatives using this stuff.

They soon decided it was not a good idea, but they saved the stuff and used it to do spring and fall house cleaning. They would schedule several days and all get out the drugs and help each other clean.

It was pandolerium! The sight of these ladies hyped up, standing on chairs and mopping the ceiling, is a memory I will never forget. I think I was about 11. They would start at like 6am and still be at it at midnight.

Thank goodness they got over it after a couple of years.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
Folks talking of the diets their mothers were on reminds me, in the late 60's early 70's Dr.s were still prescribing what we know today as "speed, white cross, etc." as a diet aid.
OMG!

I remember my Mom and several friends/neighbors/relatives using this stuff.

They soon decided it was not a good idea, but they saved the stuff and used it to do spring and fall house cleaning. They would schedule several days and all get out the drugs and help each other clean.

It was pandolerium! The sight of these ladies hyped up, standing on chairs and mopping the ceiling, is a memory I will never forget. I think I was about 11. They would start at like 6am and still be at it at midnight.

Thank goodness they got over it after a couple of years.
this reminds me of the desperate housewives episode where Lynette takes her kids adererol (sp?) lol
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
I'm sure some of you wore the rubber band on your wrist and popped it everytime you thought about eating? Cause I did.
Yup. My poor wrist!

My favorite dieting advice was from my dad a 6'3" 160lb long skinny drink of water....

He said, "only eat one meal a day, dinner..."
I said, "I can't go without eating all day, it would give me a headache..."
He said, "eating is just a habit. Your body will get used to it..."

Um, hello? And if I started not eating at all, would my body also get used to that?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #147  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Lol ubergirl, my brother is the same story, "just don't eat all day then eat dinner, thats what slimfast is."
the expert.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

For my birthday last year, my mom, who has never given me a hard time for being overweight, gave me a box of Slimquik, telling me it was just vitamins and would help. Combined with the fact that my husband forgot it was my birthday, it put me in a funk for the day.

Heather - my mom is one of those people. She lost about 20lbs on Atkins a few years ago, and whenever I mention working on losing weight, she tries to talk me into going on Atkins.

My 6'5" cousin that weighs less than me once offered me a cookie. I said no, his response was, one cookie won't make you gain weight. Um, yeah, for me it would!
meliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #149  
<a href="http://www.Ticke

S/C/G: 185/178/130

Height: 5' 1"

"Just cut all carbs, its easy"
I've heard this over and over for the last several years. BUT, I'm the cook- and on a budget, its hard, especially with 3 kids!!
Seriously, my husband and I are splitting images of the 'Slimquick' commercial.
Nikohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 263/256.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Misora, I did the Formula 1!! It was like taking speed! Made me jittery and very nervous, and I didn't lose any weight!

When I was pregnant with my son my Dr. told me to "just push away from the table!" It was the week of Christmas and I was due January 15th. He said he wanted me to be down 5 pounds the next week! I cried all the way home! I was hardly eating as it was!
Starfisch is offline   Reply With Quote