Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

A shot of milk, or even half and half with a splash of real vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon would work!

I LOVE iced coffee drinks, and always had sugar free, if any flavors, but now I make them at home, and they are WEIRD, but we love them. I get the tiny ice cube trays, about the size of the tip of your pinky. When you make a pot of strong coffee in the morning freeze the left overs in the ice trays. Then I take a chilled 10-12 ounce glass, I put about half a glass off frozen coffee cubes , top with fat free or 2% milk, and a tiny shot of real vanilla extract, my daughter adds honey to hers because she likes it sweeter......sounds weird I know, but we are ice chewers and this is FANTASTIC! and to be quite honest, I lose weight better when I have a little more milk in my diet
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I haven't given up anything yet, but I have cut way back on just about everything. I am still tweaking and learning to see what works long term for me and what doesn't. I was getting a bit discouraged when some people at another board I belong to (not a weight/diet forum) were mentioning how much they've lost. They started AFTER me and have lost a lot more. Then I read about what they are doing. The restrictive diets, the newest diets...and I think to myself, been there done that. I'd rather lose slowly and KEEP it off then lose the weight quickly and have to relose it all (plus more) in another year or so.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 230/230/130-150

Height: 5'3"

I have a hard time with diet soda and pizza. I have to have my 1 soda in the am and pizza is so hard to give up. Cutting back is the key for me. I have 1 soda a day in the morning at work and when we order or make pizza I only have a slice or two and make a salad. However lately I cant seem to lose any weight at all.......
niekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #34  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I have not given up anything. I just stay within my calorie limit for the day. I make healthier choices, Smaller portions, etc... But as far as giving something up, I haven't.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #35  
Cheesecake? Yes plz!

S/C/G: 155/149.8/135

Height: 5'7"

PIZZA!! Greasy, cheesy pizza is my weakness (well, anything with cheese really!).
LuckyJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #36  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
A shot of milk, or even half and half with a splash of real vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon would work!

I LOVE iced coffee drinks, and always had sugar free, if any flavors, but now I make them at home, and they are WEIRD, but we love them.
Milk in coffee just doesn't do it for me, but you're right about flavoring myself. I am being lazy and I need to start experimenting to get my calories down. I'll start weaning myself off the fake creamer and try your suggestions; thanks!

As for your iced coffee concoction, it sounds fabulous to me! But I am a coffee-holic, so it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niekka View Post
I have a hard time with diet soda and pizza.
I still drink the occasional Diet Coke to no ill effect whatsoever. I've lost nearly 70 pounds while drinking diet soda, so I don't think you should be too hard on yourself for having one a day. Nutritionally they're not the best choice, of course, but it's not going to keep you from losing weight.

As for the pizza...well, I don't even *like* pizza that much, but occasionally (during TOM, mostly) I crave it like gangbusters, and sometimes I lose the battle, so I feel your pain.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Cheese. It's my ultimate craving, and the low-fat stuff just isn't the same. I could probably live without candy, and chocolate, and even burgers. But cheese? No way. So I'm just trying to minimize my intake.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

POPCORN!!!
My boyfriend and I are big movie buffs so I LOVE movie popcorn. Its like an addiction. Even right now I have a big 24 box of popcorn in my closet (I'm in my dorm room).
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #39  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

bread... I tried but couldn't give it up. So now I just limit it, and only eat Ezekiel bread which is low glycemic and only 80 calories a slice.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #40  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think at the start of my journey, I would've said I could never give up cheese. I was a major cheesaholic. Now you couldn't pay me to touch cheese. I think time and your own experiences can change you
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have a list of foods that I try to limit, like cheese, coffee (learned to drink it black with Equal), and some others that I just try to watch...... but most importantly I will NOT give up another holiday, birthday, special event with my family-- nor will I be in that horrible mood that "I am on a diet" therefore I cannot participate mentality again.

It is my choice to eat what I do...... so during those times I will eat healthy and if I chose not to...... I will either take the hit on the scale or work extra hard to not have it show a gain...... but I will not remove myself from my family like that again. I think that is my downfall! I felt I could not participate in life.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I can't think of anything that I'd want to hang on to! I've been thinking about this post since yesterday and there is nothing I'm not willing to give up to achieve this but at the same time I'm not going to set myself up for failure and guilt over anything either. I'm doing it right this time, baby steps.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #43  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
I have a list of foods that I try to limit, like cheese, coffee (learned to drink it black with Equal), and some others that I just try to watch...... but most importantly I will NOT give up another holiday, birthday, special event with my family-- nor will I be in that horrible mood that "I am on a diet" therefore I cannot participate mentality again.
Obviously, we all make our own choices. I follow a vegan diet which can be difficult for my family to understand. I just don't eat animal products. That doesn't mean I don't participate in family events. Me eating cake or a tamales or whatever isn't me participating. Me hanging out with my family is participating.

A couple examples:
Last year, my family had a huge family party but beyond a vegetable tray, nothing was vegan. So I brought some of my own food similar to the food being served and ate it. I hung out and talked with my family.

My family has a tradition of having a tamale gathering near Christmas. Basically, ever I went and had a great time. I didn't have to eat the tamales nor did I feel a need to.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm another who isn't giving up the coffee, but I don't think it's really a diet killer until you add the creamers. I drink 1 or 2 with cream (easy to go over the serving with these too) and any other coffee during the day I'll use soy or almond milk.

Natural nut butters seem healthy enough, why would you have to give them up?

Potatoes also don't seem too bad, they have a good dose of vitamin C, so having 1 a couple days week seems ok? unless you are low carbing...

Pizza is hard for me to give up... I'm trying out different healthier version recipes so I can have something to hold me over.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #45  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The only thing I am not willing to give up is great tasting food. I refuse to eat foods that don't taste good to me. I still need to get enjoyment from my food. Luckily, through experimentation, I found LOADS of foods that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE - all healthy, low calorie and extremely delicious. In fact, I without a doubt enjoy the foods and the way that I eat now way better then I did when I was shoveling everything down my throat. I have learned to really appreciate my food. My tastes have changed and I'm probably a bigger "foodie" now thaten I was prior.

Oh one more thing, I'm also not willing to give up my being full and satisfied. In other words, I'm not willing to be hungry.

Eating delicious, satisfying and filling foods was/is my only requirement.

Other then that - you could keep it all. I've given up nothing, nothing, by giving up the high calorie/high quantity food. Nothing. I've gained so much by giving it up. So very much. Living the life of a healthy weight person is just THAT enjoyable as opposed to living the life of a morbidly obese person, that really, there's nothing I wouldn't/couldn't give up. Of course that's probably easier to say given the fact that that's not the case.

Although I am reminded of my sister, who has told me many times, that I was just so determined to lose the weight (and now keep it off) that had I been told the only thing that I could eat in order to do so, was cucumbers and water, that I would have done so. Fortunately, that's not the case.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-17-2009 at 05:42 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote