Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #16  
Pending Email Confirmation

I stopped shopping at Lane Bryant when they started selling halter tops to plus sized women - something I cannot condone! *LOL* Seriously - if you're big enough to need a plus sized halter top, chances are you should NOT go without a bra. hrm...

I kind of have given up on looking decent. I wear ill fitted clothing and pants that are sometimes literally a foot too long, and shirts that somehow even though I'm only 5'2" are too short ... because I don't seem to have any other options.

I did see that Torrid has started selling pants with inseam lenths and I find this very exciting. If I only were a teenager and had $80.00 to shell out for jeans.

Does anybody else feel like they are too old for Torrid and too young for Catherines and can't find anything in between? sigh.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #17  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

I dunno I'm about to turn 23 and I dont think Im "too old" for torrid..
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #18  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I'm interested in this new jeans system. I am not widest in my hips/butt so I have a terrible time finding jeans that aren't too wide in those places. Maybe I'll find some good fitting jeans! Thanks for sharing.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #19  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Oh, yeah, plus-size departments that think you're either a great-granny in orthopedic shoes or a 14-year-old hooker, and dying to advertise whichever. Macy Woman has wonderful clothes, no end of them. Expensive, but fab. For all ages. Coldwater Creek has wonderful clothes up to 24/3x, but the brick&morter stores don't seem to carry them. You have to shop the catalog. I have loved everything I've ordered from them, though. Silhouettes isn't bad, and pretty reasonable. I find LB pretty pitiful, Avenue isn't any better, and KMart/Walmart is a crap shoot. Sometimes there's something great, but everything between 14W and 52 is gone in a day or two. Sigh. I will be soooo glad when I fit regular sizes.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #20  

Quote:
Does anybody else feel like they are too old for Torrid and too young for Catherines and can't find anything in between? sigh.
Me! Me!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #21  

I think it's so important to find plus-size clothes that are fashionable and well-made. Lane Bryant is expensive but I do find a lot of clothes there that I like; you have to do a bit of digging as a lot of their stuff isn't my style but I've found a couple really nice suits and "going out" tops.

One trick for taking care of those expensive clothes: wash in cold water and air dry your clothes! It's been proven that cold water gets clothes just as clean unless they're REALLY dirty and air drying on a rack or a line will keep them in good shape for much longer than if you threw them in the dryer. And it's SOOO much better for the environment; in Europe most people dry their clothes this way. Sorry; I know this last part's not weight-loss related but just wanted to pass that tip on!

Ann K.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

KOHL'S - that were I shop probably the most.
They have quite a few nice things, and I actually like when the tops are not too long, just cover my belly and that's it, otherwise my legs look short, and I look even more disproportionate.

Clearance: I do shop clerance a lot. This allows me to spend a bit less and find good items. Of course the downside is finding what you need, and shopping out of season.

As much as hate shopping (doubt that will change with time and weight loss) I try to visit the store as seldom as possible, and not as many as possible.

I've recently discovered that Macy's has a pretty good clearance rack, at least in the one near my house.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Oh my gosh, Rhonda, your new avatar picture is BEAUTIFUL! I love it!!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #24  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

What a gorgeous picture, Rhonda! It's like you just literally dropped 20 years!!!! WOW!!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #25  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thank you, CC and Tricia. While I didnt actually lose 20 years, I did lose 25 pounds. My old avatar was actually a picture of Hubby and I at our anniversary dinner in December (he wouldnt let me keep him in my avatar)
My SIL was looking at my avatar last weekend and told me "You need to update that thing...it doesnt look a thing like you anymore since you lost so much weight."
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #26  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I agree what a great new Avatar, you look so different!!! So much younger.

I also agree about the clothing, Lane Bryants clothes , for the most part is not me, I might find some pants I like there, but the shirts are too low cut, I like Lands ends clothing more.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Personally, I like Cato. They seem to cut their clothes to fit me best...and they're cheap!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #28  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

OMG Rhonda, what happened to that other woman? You look FABULOUS!!!!!!

Man you're gonna be smokin' when this is all said and done. Actually you're pretty darn smokin' right now. Wowzer!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #29  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Rhonda - you look great in your new avatar!

As for Lane Bryant, I agree with much of what's being said in regards to low cut tops and bright, bold prints. What I do is try to find the neutral stuff. And, I buy off the clearance rack. I find that if you buy short sleeves, it works through all seasons. If you buy a longer sleeve, try to make sure it isn't too thick of a material and you'll be able to wear it from fall to spring.

As for halter style tops, while it's not my top pick, you CAN wear a bra with them. I have a bra that goes into halter style. So, rest assured, next month when I'm wearing a halter top for a wedding that I'm in, I'll be supporting the girls. In fact, that's why I chose the halter top instead of the strapless top - sure I could wear a strapless bra, but I'd have been hiking it up all day long. At least this way, I'll be supported and won't be yanking on my bra all day long. Thank goodness the bride gave us a choice!
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #30  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Thanks for all of the kind words about my avatar. That is a pretty flattering avatar....trust me, not all of my pictures look great...there's a lot to be said for great lighting! When I really smile...teeth and all....the former smoking/sun bunny damage is there for all the world to see. And, I'm sure the wrinkles will really be prominent when I get to goal....but, its all good.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote