Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #31  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I couldn't even have those cashews in the house even if I had measured them into individual baggies. Nope I'd go bonkers and eat all of them. That's one lesson I have learned about myself. While I don't think any food is outside the realm of possibility I know my weaknesses so I don't put temptation in my way or I'd be posting that I ate a whole bag of chips and waiting for y'all to kick my derriere!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #32  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Oh, I'm exactly the same, Jen. There are certain foods that I just can't have in the house or else I'll eat them all within a couple of days.

OK, I made it to the gym yesterday - for the first time in about 3 weeks and I'm really feeling it in my legs this morning. But there's nobody to blame but myself for that one - I allowed myself to get out of the habit of going. I'm going again today and doing cardio today. I'm not enthused at the moment, but by the end of the day I'm going to be enthused. At least that's what I tell myself...

I'm trying to keep organised this week. If I've planned what I'm eating the day before, then I know I'm going to stick to plan. It's when I forget to take anything out the freezer for dinner that I start losing the plot and resort to whatever can be put together in about 2 minutes - which is never the healthy options. So, I've prepared sweet chili chicken last night - it's in the slow cooker, so all I need to do before I leave for work is take the crock out of the fridge and turn on the slow cooker. I'll make a stirfry when I get home tonight and serve the whole lot over some brown rice which is in the freezer and I can just defrost in the microwave tonight. Yummy!
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #33  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I couldn't even have those cashews in the house even if I had measured them into individual baggies. Nope I'd go bonkers and eat all of them. That's one lesson I have learned about myself. While I don't think any food is outside the realm of possibility I know my weaknesses so I don't put temptation in my way or I'd be posting that I ate a whole bag of chips and waiting for y'all to kick my derriere!
haha, honey, believe me, if they were something else, like honey roasted peanuts , they'd have been gone by now already! There are lots of things I HAVE to kep out of my house, or disaster will innevitably strike! I can't keep containers of ice cream, for example, or I'll eat the whole half gallon in just a couple of days. I've had to switch to inidividually-wrapped no-sugar-added fudgesicles for a cold treat. But with the individual bags of nuts, I've actually had baggies of almonds and walnuts sitting in my pantry for months, so I think I can handle the cashews, too. Nuts are good, but they're not something I'm as likely to binge on as other things (although I have to admit that coming here and reading about how everyone else would binge on the cashews makes me think about doing so myself! You guys are bad influences! ).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #34  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

My weakness is milk. I could drink a gallon a day. I really, really miss it, and it's some days very tempting to drink several glasses a day like I used to. I did have a glass yesterday (it was my high calorie day), but dammit, I wanted another one, and it killed me not to have it. I add ice to mine, and I even drink all of that once it's melted, to get the last bit of milk, heh heh.

Why does cheese and milk have to be in the same food group?
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #35  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Colleen and Glory, you've made me feel much better about my water consumption. I'm just going to be mindful of staying hydrated, and fill my big glass a couple of times a day. It's not quite 64 hounces, but I know it's more than 48 and I also drink coffee, iced tea (I brew my own from loose leaf tea, yum!), and the odd diet soda.

Cashews. I have a very large diabetic friend who ate them nonstop whiole she lost 70 lbs. She gained it all back twice over, though. She's completely in denial about what will happen if she doesn't change her eating. She eates everything, does not test, has extremely high blood sugar, and has very poor kidney function and severe neuropathy. She refuses to go outside more than once a week or so to walk the dog, maybe to the end of the driveway and back, and then collapses into a chair afterwards. To tell you the truth, she's motivating me by her bad example. Sad, but true. I call her often to remind me how easily I could be where she is. If I still had my old attitudes, I would be. I don't think she weighs much more than I do, and she's 6" taller and 10 years younger, so she could be more active if she wanted to. OK, nose to the grindstone now, write today's kiloword (I'm working on book) and get my wobbly tush to the gym.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are things I need to keep out of the house, and things I just have to keep out of sight or outside of easy reach. It's funny how I can forget we even have temptation foods when I put them in a kitchen drawer that's very difficult to reach because I have to bend down and reach under a table at a difficult angle (or move the entire table to reach) to get at it. It's actually kind of sad, but a way to make my insanely tiny kitchen and laziness work for me rather than against me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #37  
Reluctant Adult

TRowe, I'm looking forward to being where you are on WW! I go to weigh-in tonight, start Week 3 tomorrow... only 10 more weeks before I catch up to you! Good for you for sticking with it... it's obviously paid off.

We seem to have the same issues with respect to weight loss; that is, not liking to exercise. I've tried everything (as I'm sure you have, too). The gym is right out. We live in a very rural location and what's the point of working from home if I have to drive into town every day to go the gym, which I hate anyway because I can't help but feel sniggered at for my red, sweaty face and oversized... everything? I try to do solo activities but I'm not always my best motivator. My husband is trim and fit, stays in shape by frequently doing hard physical labor around our place, which also works for me -- sometimes. For example, I didn't do the bike this morning, but I made up for it by going down to the barn and mucking out several days' worth of horse poo. Had the red face to prove it, too.

Maybe we can help each other with ideas.

Nicolen, I have a soft spot for Kiwis as I'm married to one. He hails from Blenheim (though from long ago!). Perhaps you can give me some tips for cooking some meals he will really enjoy but are still healthful enough for me. This has been a perennial issue between us... he loves his cream, butter, roasted meat and potatoes, and I love them, too! He's been great going along with all the fresh fruit and veg he's lately been subjected to, but it's only a matter of time before I get that sad little sigh when I set before him yet another plate chock full of something containing capsicum (which he hates) and not much meat. Your suggestions would be most appreciated!

Bouncing, you are wise to be motivated by the state of your friend's health. I find the dangers of becoming diabetic extremely motivating as well. A very dear friend of mine, also much younger than me, was diagnosed about a year ago. It was the kick she needed to get serious about her health, and watching her go has been such an inspiration! She's lost over 70 pounds, went from being winded from climbing the stairs to finishing a marathon a month ago and looks fantastic. She's also been able to go off medication as she is controlling her diabetes completely with diet and exercise. Her accomplishments are always in my mind. I don't have diabetes (yet), and I'd like to keep it that way.

Ok, wish me luck tonight with the scale... I'm finished with a murderous TOM, so I'm hopeful the scale will be kind. Will try to check in with you all tomorrow.

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Hey all, would you mind if I joined you? Tough love it just what I need to stay on track. I've just started out and don't want to stray from my plan, which is to eat 1400-1800 calories a day (average of 1600 a week) and to do 800 of cardio and 600 of lifting for the month of August (starting today).

My biggest weakness is CARBS. Cereal and bread are two of my favorites. I'm having a REALLY hard time limiting my carbs each day. I have done a pretty good job incorporating more fruits and veggies but haven't been able to give up cereal.

I also have a question for you all. Can you give me some more examples of healthy fats? I've spent a lot of years not caring what I ate and how much of it I ate, so I really need to completely revamp my daily diet.

Sounds like everyone has had a good Monday so far.
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Nut fats and olive oil are both very healthy fats. Natural peanut butter would fall into that nut category, as well. Other than that, I have to admit I'm fairly clueless.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #40  

Height: 5'5"

In addition to Tricia's list, Omega 3 fatty acids are supposed to be good for you, and can be found in some fish (like salmon) and flax. I am not a huge advocate of healthy fats, but I will occasionally eat Kashi Pumpkin Flax Spice bars (not the exact name) for the Omega 3. Really good.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #41  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Avocado, sunflower seeds. All of these in moderation of course.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM   #42  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Hi y'all...first chance I've had to post today!

Yesterday was 100% ON PLAN!! I stayed within my calories, drank all my water and moved my body!

I am finding that the more in advance I plan, the easier I can stick to my program. For instance, last night as soon as dinner was over, I packed my lunch bag for today. That way, when I settled down to watch television, I don't have to worry if I wake up late the next day and don't have time to pack it.

Today's menu:
B:
Slim-Fast High Protein meal bar
Slim-Fast Optima Chocolate shake
Hard boiled egg

L:
leftover turkey chili from last nights dinner
carrot chips with hummus
fat free lemon chiffon yogurt

D:
8 oz chicken breast
steamed veggies
watermelon

Snacks:
apple
clementines
healthy choice fudge bar

Calorie total: 1851 (one calorie over!)

BTW: I am doing the Wendie plan with calories instead of points thanks to Steelslady's blog! I am switching my super high day to day 5 so it coincided with Friday night dinner out.

How's everyone else's day so far? Anyone need some "tough love"?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #43  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Looks like you don't need any tough love today, Jen (415)! Nice work.

I really can't plan my days in advance. Something in my head just balks at even trying. Hopefully I can get by without it!

Yesterday I was short on calories (1371 when I'm aiming for ~1500), and had more protein than I meant to (42% instead of 30%), but at least it's not a terribly unhealthy miss. I just don't want to run out of energy, or send my body into "starvation mode."

I've set some more concrete goals for this week and the month of August: 3x calisthenics + interval training & 3x cardio per week, and a 6 pound loss in August (from 203 to 197). My week starts with Monday and 1 calisthenics down - time to do my cardio. Talk to you ladies later!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #44  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

OK, I need some tough love. I didn't get to the gym last night and I'm not going to get there before Saturday because we've been put on compulsory overtime for the rest of the week. I'm going to try and get out for a walk during my lunch break, but it's hard to actually get anything done - we work in a rather large industrial area and it's just about impossible to cross the road at certain times due to the traffic. I'm feeling guilty, but there's nothing I can do to change things...

Foodwise, I should be fine. I knew this was coming, so I've been cooking extra and frozen the leftovers, so there's no excuse for me not sticking to plan, food wise at least...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #45  

Height: 5'5"

Nicole - Good work on planning ahead with the food. That really is the most important part. Do you have stairs at work? Maybe that can give you some sort of a workout. Or maybe you could find an empty conference room, an iPod, and just dance. It would help you to stay on plan and give you an energy boost for all of that extra work they've got you doing!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote