Old 07-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #16  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello all! I was wondering if I could join your group, even if I am a few pounds short of the 100lb Club? I'm in another great club (That 70's Show) in Misc. Groups, but I figure two will keep me on track even better than one, and I don't know if those angels are up for giving me the tough love I need!

And I do need it. So far I think I'm doing well with food, but I end up skipping exercise sessions regularly. This past week I meant to exercise 6 days, and only did 3. Do you think this could be the group for me?

As for water, I don't know how MUCH is required, but I know you need to stay well-hydrated not only to avoid dehydration, but water retention as well. I also believe the water is what flushes the waste from the fat you're burning out of your system, so if you drink to little, your body may be holding on to some extra (not-just-water) weight.

Then again I am far from an expert. The appetite suppression is good enough for me to drink plenty!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #17  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I am on medication for my kidneys that has me drinking anywhere from 1-3 gallons per day, so I might not be the best person to answer this, but I will try.

Sometimes your body can confuse thirst for hunger. If you keep up with your water, then when you are feeling hungry, you know it's "true" hunger & not just need for hydration. Does that make sense? That is the way it is explained to me.

Tea counts as water, according to my kidney doctor.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Hey guys!! I want to be apart of the tough love grove thing!

First off, I drink 9-12 glasses of water a day which works for me. I have kept up with my other goals of no fast food (when I say that I mean burgers and fries/ fried chicken- that sort of thing) I still go out to eat(rarely) and make responsible choices. I dont restrict myself from eating food. I just make wise choices. I have also given up soda and calorie laden drinks.

I have to give up candy!!!! I love it. I dont eat chocolate anymore (which was a hardship for me) but I still eat candy like Nips (my personal favorite) and Skittles....So, I need help giving it up. I did well today. I ONLY had 6 nips (180 calories) early in the day. For dessert after dinner tonight, I had a creamsicle.

As far as workout: I used to workout 4-6 days a week. And loved it. I have not been able to do that the last couple of weeks. I will do the exercise bike or gazelle 3 times this week. YMCA is my next goal. I plan to join this week and buy myself some workout clothes and new gym shoes.
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #19  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Well, here it is--Monday morning. No better time to get started on the right path for the week. In order to keep myself from 7-11 or McDonald's for breakfast, I'll be packing a cottage cheese double (low fat cottage cheese and fruit to mix in) to eat at work, and I'm having a nonfat smoothie here at home right now to get me started.

I'll have to pack some more food for work, so let's think...I have a Kashi frozen meal in the freezer at work, so that will be lunch. I'll make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for around 10am (what I call my "first lunch" since I get up so early), and I'll bring some grapes for snacking (seedless grapes were on sale yesterday for 99 cents a pound--I was so excited!). Perhaps I will also carefully MEASURE a single serving of cashews for an after-work snack.

I WILL cook dinner at home! And that dinner will be...hmm...I'm not sure yet. But I have plenty of easy things to cook, so there is NO need to go out!

I track my food in The Daily Plate, so I will have a calorie total tomorrow morning.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #20  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Jill - aren't cashews really high fat? I guess that's what you mean by carefully measuring them but I know from personal experience that I can't keep nuts in the house at all. I will inhale them. I am especially keen on sunflower seeds (yes I know a seed, not a nut). I could eat a cup of those in about 2 seconds.

Sounds good all those lunches that were prepacked!

The water issue...it really depends on you and like others have said there is a lot of disagreement even among professionals what is the proper amount. I know for myself that when I drink at least 2 liters a day that I will lose weight. I don't know if it is because I retain water or because I am eating less because I am confusing thirst for hunger. I don't know. I know that yesterday I did end up drinking all my 2 L after all, I did chug down a liter at 9pm and today I am down 3 lbs. That says to me that I was retaining some water and I guess I'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Plan for today is to get my bike out and cleaned up!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #21  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Mornin' y'all!

So far I've had my Slim-Fast, a boiled egg and a yougurt for breakfast. I'll have two clementines in about an hour or so, then my Smart Ones Lunch (Chicken Parm--YUMMY).

The plan today is to immediately jump on the treadmill when I get home (my partner is cooking tonight!).

Looks like everyone is getting a good start to their Monday! Let's all work to make it an OP day!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #22  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 305/299/175

Height: 5ft 7 in

Hi everyone I would love to join you.
My goal is too actually stick with some dort of plan for longer than a day or two. First I was going to do low carb, then SB, then LAWL.
I just need to get my eating in check and start moving this body. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes today.

Michelle~
mmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #23  
Shairing her ESH...

BTW Ethereal, you are most welcome to join us!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #24  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Jill - aren't cashews really high fat? I guess that's what you mean by carefully measuring them but I know from personal experience that I can't keep nuts in the house at all. I will inhale them. I am especially keen on sunflower seeds (yes I know a seed, not a nut). I could eat a cup of those in about 2 seconds.
Yup, pretty much all nuts are quite high in fat, but it's a natural, healthy fat. I get so little fat in much of my diet (when I'm actually staying on plan) that I need to incorporate things like peanut butter in order to get some good fats in. I know a lot of people think fat makes you fat, but if you don't get enough fat in your diet, it can cause a lot of problems.

Like you, I could easily eat the entire can in one sitting (and have done so in the past), but if I measure them all out into single serving baggies instead of eating them out of the can, it's much easier for me to control my portions
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I love nuts and can eat far too many if I don't pay attention, so my husband and I buy them in single serving packages (which are usually really at least two servings so we split a bag or break it down into smaller servings (I love snack size ziplocs). We obviously could buy a larger bag and divide them, but we can buy a single serving bag of nuts for .17 - .25 at the liquidator store (like a mom and pop Big Lots), and besides a large can is just too much temptation.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #26  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

^^I had to do that with my cereal last night. Measured it out into baggies, otherwise I will start to munch & then we all know what happens.

I bought an awesome lunch bag from Aldi's yesterday, and today I woke up too late to pack it, HOWEVER, I did not let that get me off plan. I had a Luna Bar for breakfast and packed my lunch & a healthy snack. For dinner I am planning a can of low sodium tuna mixed with whole wheat rotini, garlic, onion and a tiny bit of olive oil to make a tuna casserole my stepmother makes. It's really good & I have everything to make it.

I also cleaned out my pantry a bit. I threw away spices blends (with SALT!) that I bought before I got diagnosed (5 years ago!!!) and never used. For some reason I had 2 open bags of powdered sugar. I only use it for recipes I take to work, so those both went. Then I came across a bottle of Green Goddess salad dressing. I love this stuff, but I KNOW it doesn't love me. So I tossed that, too.

It feels good to be in control.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #27  
Eating for two!

OH
MY
GOSH

I haven't had any of the Kashi frozen meals until right now, and it is AMAZING! So much so that I just had to come here to share. I got the sweet and sour chicken flavor, and I am in LOVE! I wish the Kashi meals went on sale as often as the Lean Cuisines, Smart Ones, and Healthy Choice meals--I can't afford the Kashi meals at regular prices I was actually expecting this meal to be very bland and blah, but I am very pleasantly surprised!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #28  
Shairing her ESH...

Sounds yummy Jilly!

Hey Jill, wanted to ask you: are you going to be calorie cycling again? How did that work for you?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 240/ST/140

Looks like you all have some good plans laid out. I started week 13 on Weight Watchers yesterday and things are going good. I do need to stay more consistant in the exercise department. I can easily talk myself out of doing anything related to exercise. My food intake seems to be pretty routine now I just need to get off my butt and exercise more!
Tiffanie
TRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #30  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
Hey Jill, wanted to ask you: are you going to be calorie cycling again? How did that work for you?
It worked well when I could actually stick to it! I wasn't planning on doing it to start, although it usually sort of happens for me unintentionally anyway (those "oops" days translate into the high-cal days while others are lower). Right now, I"m just trying to get back to 2000 calories or less each day. Once I've got that under my belt, I'll take it from there!