YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM   #16  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey All,

mnms24 ...really for me the less complicated the better...and I truly hate exercise and this little thing has been a wonder...Long Island NY...my daughter and myself go to my uncle's in Clifton NJ and in Teaneck NJ every summer...and spend as much time as possible in the city...that is probably my best time of the year...

Janie Canuck...Hello so where are you from in Canada (this kinda reminds me of summer camp trying to figure out where everyone lives)...any ways..I have been in phase 1 since January 16/07 I have struggled with the exercise...and I made sure that I had two goals in mind first to do the exercise for a full month before I move onward...hopefully it will be this coming Thursday as that is when I look over the week and decide...I quite like this "my life plan" approach...it is easy and do able...
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/220/155

Checking out this thread now, as I was on the General Best Life thread before and thought I had better kick it over to those of you on phase 1. Have been eating like I am on phase one this past week, but am officially and consciously committed starting tomorrow. I have this thing with fresh starts and Sundays, don't know why. I am excited. A little apprehensive, as I almost went to my old ways of trying to do the quick thing (I have my 20 year reunion in June), but decided that it is more important to lose weight healthy and with a life long way of eating.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Am going to attempt the dusty treadmill now while watching my kids play. Hopefully it won't be dusty anymore!!!

Also, thanks for the discussion on the pedometer, I have had many ranging from weight watchers to target type.

Keep up the steps!
Laura
blcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #18  
Diane

S/C/G: 180/170/145

Default Starting Phase 1 on Monday

Hi Everyone

Laura- I'm going to start on Monday so I will be a day off from you. I have to get my fill of all my favorates before I start. (wine, pizza, popcorn before bed, all those bad foods).

I've scanned through most of the posts but havn't read them completely so if this has been answered please forgive me but has anyone registered on the best life web site and if they have is it worth it?

Take care and good luck to everyone

Diane
littlerozzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #19  

Hey All,

Welcome littlerozzee and blcott

littlerozzee...I am the vigilante that is refusing to spend more money on diet fads, diet pills, diet drinks, diet potions, bells and whistles...mind you I did buy Bob Greene's book, journal and now I bought the new pedometer...and I won't even count the number of magazines I buy (too many)...but if you decide to join his website tell us what you think about his website and is it worth for you (is it helpful)...

But congratulations to both of you on your up and coming start dates...and hopefully we will talk again...real soon...
Old 03-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #20  

littlerozzee~ I have subscribed for the three month deal (even though I am not officially starting until tomorrow), and have been kind of doing this past week. I like it for accountability, in that I write/journal everything. There are recipe ideas, etc... the only downfall so far is that if you don't choose anything from their menu, you have to keep track of your own calories and stuff. For me, the price wasn't that big of deal for the commitment, as I have done WW online, etc...

I would recommend if you are someone who is close to the computer a lot during the day, and who likes to keep track of things. There are exercises you can view and do, lots of daily tips, and recipes, but other than that, it seems as though it is more for the habit of writing everything down you eat, and your exercise...which for me is important.

It is not super great, but is loaded with info, recipes, exercies, journaling and support.

If you decide to do, let me know.

Best wishes on Monday, and have some wine for me!!!!!

Laura
Old 03-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi Kimush - I'm from Peterborough - not too far from you.

Littlerozzee - that's the great thing about Best Life - You can still have some pizza etc. on phase 1. Phase 1 only limits when you eat - you can still have your meal of choice. So why not start right now?
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #22  
Diane

Hi everyone

Laura- I did sign up for the three month program. I thought what the heck if I don't like it within the 10 day trial period I can cancel and get my money back. I just have to make sure that before my three months are up that I canel or it will renew itself. I already have my groceries for the week so I won't be using the meals that are suggested on the program until next week.

Kimush- that for the welcome and it is a small world.

Janie- I know that you can eat what you want but I just feel better starting something new on a Monday. I don't know why I guess I'm just funny that way. What week are you on?
Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #23  

Hey everyone...

blcott that sounds really interesting...I know that Fitday has the calorie, protein, fat and essential nutrient calculator...I am so infrequently on the computer it was this past week that I went on daily as I was home ill from work...most of the time I am not that committed...

Janie Canuck Peterbourough is such a beautiful area of Ontario...and soon flowers will be blooming...

Well good luck all...have a successful Monday start day!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #24  

Kimush~ I LOVE the Fitday journal. I had tried *********** a long time ago and thought it was like that. I am going to do that (since it is free) along with "Best Life" site. Hopefully the combo and this great support site will be what I need. Thanks!!

All~ Slight brag, was super proud of myself after church today. Went through McDonalds to bring lunch home to a sick little boy and get him a "shake" for his sore throat....and I soooooooo wanted some fries, but opted for a salad with no dressing. I was in shock ( I am a sucker for Mickey D's fries). Hope I finish the day as well!

Have a good week everyone! And
littlerozzee You can do it!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #25  
Diane

Hi guys

Day one down. I jsut have to make it through the night without munching. That is the worst for me. I'm always in the cupboards after supper.

I'm on the computer now and running back and forth to the TV watching Dancing with the stars. I would love to be able to dance like they can.

take care everyone

Diane
Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Littlerozee, I may be a lifer in phase 1!! I've been doing it, (with a slight blip the week of my birthday) since, I believe, Feb. 7. I'm only down 5 pounds, which some people might find too slow, but it's OK with me. I've had bingeing problems in the past, and have been doing well lately, but don't want to go back there. Trying to follow too formal a "diet" tends to bring on the binges, I have found. Besides, I already do most of the phase 2 stuff most of the time. But if I make them taboo foods, I'll be too tempted to break the rules. So, unless the weight loss really stalls out, and I can't kick start it by just adjusting portions and making a few better choices, I think I'll just stay here in phase 1. I can stick with this, and more importantly, I'm not even feeling tempted to binge.

And thanks Kimush, yes P'boro is lovely.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #27  

Hey there guys...

Diane and Janie CanuckI have been doing Phase 1 since January 16, 2007 and I will only move on when I hit my 200lb mark...I know that it is arbitrary but that is the goal that I gave myself...and I have gone from a level 0 in exercise to for the most part a level 1 to sometimes a level 2...I really need this week to stay at a level 1 and I should be able to move over...I don't look a my wt...but I have my daughter check it out...

As for the night time snacks...I chew gum...brush my teeth...drink my water...make herbal tea...I make sure that I eat all my meals and snacks that I need to in the day time...but at night I eat weird little things...probably not necessarily nutritious but it is working...rice pudding if I really need something substantial but only 6 ozs...jello cup (if I need sweets)...celery and peanut butter if I need something fatty...but I find that lately after dinner I make sure that I have an herbal tea about 2 hours later and then last night I forgot that I didn't have any snack till bed when I was reviewing my day...tonight I had been running around and cleaning out a closet...then taking the clothes all over hells half acre (bibles for missions and Salvation army)...and then by the time I cleaned up...and checked out the computer I realized the time is late and I am too tired to eat...I think that I am almost ready for bed...went back to work today so I am really tired...

But at night before I always check out the Bob Greene 3 questions and my answers to them...and I add to them or just read them over...haven't revised them...I think that is like some kind of self hypnosis thing...and then at times I find that it resonates with me in the daytime...

And I agree with Janie Canuck that I can be in this phase for 20 more weeks if that is what it takes...I feel really good...and I feel good about my choices...The one thing that I am doing is I have taken Bob Greene's Best Life Plan and made it My Best Life Plan...so I have made the revisions that I think are necessary for me to stay on this forever...

Every year I go to my Uncles in New Jersey for about 10-16 days...and he lives right across the boarder from New York City...so I am sure that you can well imagine the fabulous food and all the walking we do...we use public transit (subway and buses) and walk every where...two years ago my daughter and myself hit our record of walking 98 city blocks in one day...and I have never really been in good shape...and I limp along (I have knee problems and sciatica) but I don't give up...and I am really excited that this year I will be able to go and be in good shape and be able to really walk all over without being in a lot pain and slowing my daughter up...I can hardly wait...

You guys are doing well...
Old 03-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #28  
Diane

Hey everyone

Janie- I think you are right about you sound like your doing great. They say that that losing weight at a slower rate is better for keeping the weight off.

Kimush- your doing great you only have a couple of pounds to go. the temperature is getting to be perfect for getting out walking. You will have those pounds off in no time.

I'm sure that you both will be moving onto phase two very soon.

take care

Diane
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #29  

Hey There Everyone,

Diane...yeah...you would think...I am just really tired tonight...bad day but I did go 6340 steps...that pedometer is like my best buddy right now...I went with my daughter and figured out a 2 kilometer walk so I plan on doing that nightly so I walk around up near BCI and Dufferin area...So I am hoping...and my treat will be a hair cut...Yeah!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #30  
Diane

Hey Kimush

That's a nice area to walk around. (big mature trees nice big heritage houses, very scenic). You and your daughter will enjoy it.

I walk on the walking trail down Powerline and Wayne Gretzky Parkway. It's very wet and dirty looking right now but It will soon be green and beautiful.

Take care

Diane