YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone

I've posted here, but not for a little bit, so I thought I'd check in.

Kimush, it looks like it's going very well for you. I did what you advise - I've been in phase one for about 10 weeks now. I just wanted to make sure that I was comfortable with the changes, and now I am. It is no longer a struggle to not grab random handfuls of crackers, just because I'm passing through the kitchen. Likewise, I've stopped eating after dinner, and while that was probably the hardest thing for me at first, I'm now doing it (mostly!) automatically. It's not a constant dialogue in my head: "I'd like some rice chips" "No!" " What about some popcorn?" "No!" "Do we have any ice cream?" "Yes, but NO!" etc. Now, I hardly think about food after supper, which is huge for me. So, everyone who is just starting this plan, and struggling with evening munchies - take heart, it gets easier!

And the best thing of all - I'm not binge-eating!! In fact, I can't even remember the last time I had to wrestle with a strong urge to binge. And that's even better than weight loss!

I've dropped 7 pounds, but seem to have stalled out. Which is, I think, my signal to take it to the next level. I haven't even purchased the book (I cheated, and read the O magazine synopsis), but I think I will. The thing is, most of his phase 2 advice is stuff that I do most of the time already, so I think portion control is going to be really key for me. Have other people noticed a change (in terms of weigh loss) when they moved up to phase 2?
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #47  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey There,

Janie Canuck...it sounds like you are going in the right direction...

I have been losing consistently 2-3 pounds per week except for last week and I was crazy stressed and busy so I didn't eat, or drink the way that I should have...

Also, I have a pedometer and I walk a minimum of 6000 steps per day or at least try my hardest...

The book is helpful but the journal is poopy and I wouldn't waste my any of my time or money...

Good luck and keep me updated...
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #48  

Wow, congratulations - that's great! So, have you actually moved into phase 2? Do we need a new thread for that???

I'm pretty good with the exercise - I have an elliptical, and I do a half hour on it 5 times per week, plus walking between 20 minutes and 60 minutes most days. It was much easier to up my exercise category than it was to give up evening snacking, that's for sure! But the eating schedule (especially the when-not-to-eat part) has gotten much easier. Now I think I'm ready to move forward.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Hey guys, I'm doing phase 1 too and I'm loving it. This is my first week but it's been great. I actually haven't had as much of a problem with the late-night eating as I thought I would. It's amazing, before I started Best Life i would just allow myself to eat, even if I wasn't that hungry, and now I can just be like, Nope I don't eat after dinner. I drink some lemon water, since I have a hard time getting 8 glasses in anyway, and I call it a night!

My one problem has been alcohol. I know it's one of the few rules for this stage, but I'm in my last semester of college, with about 3 weeks to go, and it finally got nice in VT so everyone is in Spring party mode! My rule has been that I can only have alcohol on the weekends, and only 2 drinks Friday and Saturday nights. I know it's still not great, but it's realistic for me, and I would usually have more like 3-5 drinks when I go out, so it's still an improvement!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #50  

Hey All,

Janie Canuck ...hey there...I think that if the I remain the way I am going in November but some machinery so that I can continue to exercise over the winter months...but right now it is just walking....today I took my 14 year old niece and my daughter to the Eaton's Centre in Toronto and I walked just under 11900 steps...I am wiped...but I went way over and headed in to Level 4 for exercise...

Snowbunny2... for me I am an abstainer so the alcohol is a no-brainer...and I have done the college and university thing...and you are in the middle of...but you have a good grip on the program and you are limiting the alcohol so that is a good thing...
Old 04-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #51  

Default just started 4 days ago

Hi all...I just started four days ago and I am trying to remember the tips each day-drink water, eat high fiber, no soda, no white flour, etc. I hope that I do start to lose weight soon. I do need support. Thats why I am posting here. Let me know your out there.
yourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #52  

Hey There,

Yourme...I think that everyone on this thread has moved on...I am on the the Best Life Plan...and last week hit my first plateau...so I have been discouraged and trying really heard be positive...

I also am on 40+ thread "47 and no idea!" which is also through 3 fat chicks...I have been on it now since Jan 22/07 and I am really liking it except for this horrible plateau...

Message soon I am glad to see someone on here for support ...the Best Life Plan has not really taken off on this website...but I love it!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #53  

Default any support is better than none

Thanks for replying I have lost three pounds primarily from eating small meals often. I am 38 and I have accomplished other goals and hope to accomplish this one. I want to get to 130 lbs. Its a journey. Dawn
yourme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #54  

I just finished my first 2 weeks with a loss of 10 lbs and 2 inches. I feel great
maryccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #55  

Hey There Everyone...

maryccc

There is something that is very pure and simple about this and beauty is that it works...And also I don't feel that impatience and craziness that comes with other diets...Keep in touch...there are so very few Best Plan lifers on this website...there is also a thread that is really supportive and helpful...it is supposed to be the "47" club but it is not...everyone is different ages from 33 till over 50...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #56  
barb

Height: 5'7

HI everyone, just got thre book yes...Read up tpo phase 2....I am in..I already workout 4xs sometimes 5xs aweek. I need to add weight training in and follow the no eating 2 hrs before bed etc.....I am so excited about trying it. My downfall is going to be cocktails. I am a social drinker and have many celebrations cominig up......NOT sure how I will handle that...Did any of you have just a few in the 1st phase??????I am going to weigh myself today and than hide the scale. Today I will buy some good food . Generally I have been trying to eat a little better so hopefully that will be an easier transition for me. I can only hope...Glad you all have this site to come to....I am excited to get started.
djmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #57  

Hey There,

djmommy

djmommy...I am a Best Lifer since Jan 22/07 and have done really well...mind you I gained 2 lbs this week eating chinese food (I am a childrens social worker and the one child on my caseload I took out for a birthday lunch) and then I hit a plateau for 2 weeks...I love the plan... For exercise I am a walker so I walk between 6000 and 10000 steps per day...I am an abstainer so not drinking has been a piece of cake for me but nowadays there lots of non-alcoholic beverages that you can order and I think that Bob Greene speaks of wine spritzers with seltzer...I am also allergic to chocolate so I don't have a sweet tooth...but mercy I have a "fat" tooth so that has been a real challenge for me...There is also a thread that is really supportive and helpful...it is supposed to be the "47" club but it is not...everyone is different ages from 33 till over 50...it is...the "47 and no idea!" thread...they could help with suggestions...

Maryccc and yourme...hope all is well...

As I have said there are so few Best Lifers around...so keep in touch and good luck!

Take Care!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:15 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 189/175/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone, (hope someone is still there!!)

I've just started the Best Life Diet today. I got the book last night, read up to Phase Two and am giving it a shot! I cannot get over how much sense it makes! I got so much out of asking myself 'the questions', and I think its very practical to start things in stages. I think my obstacles will be eating late and getting in all of the exercise. I am at "0" now, hope to be so good at "1" by end of this phase that I can ramp it up to "2" in phase two. I am looking forward to the exercise as it is something I can do for ME and not for everyone else. I used to be active, then had two kids and stay at home now. Time for me!!

karwie
karwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #59  

Hello Karwie

I am a "best lifer" and I will be darned if I know who is around and left anymore...

I am thinking of starting another thread in a effort to unite all of us!

I was at a 1 for my whole life I think...I now at always a 2 and more times than not a 3...but your right it makes a lot of sense...I thought that I took Bob Greene's "Best Life Diet" and made myself a best life plan...I have a pedometer and I walk between 6000 and 10000 steps per day and there are some days when I get in 11000 but not too many of those yet!

the only difficulties that I have had...is I have hit a 2 week plateau where my daughter pointed out that I was not eating enough...and then last week I took a child (I am a child social worker) out for chinese buffet so I gained 2 pounds immediately...This is the first time that I have gained any weight since January 2007 and I am due June 6 for my 2 months pictures and measurements...It is really the easiest and the best!

I weigh in tomorrow! so hopefully I will have lost the 2lbs that I gained and then some! If you read back a few posts on this there is an awesome 40+ thread (and we vary in age from 33 to over 50)! Really supportive women!

Take care and good luck you are a Best Lifer too! now!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #60  

I'm still around! And I have finally seen a bit of movement again on the scale. Down 1 pound yesterday (changed my ticker), then a whopping 3 more today (and yes, I ate normally yesterday). But I haven't changed the ticker yet - I'll wait until my "official" weigh in day, like I normally do. I changed that 1st pound right away because I was so happy to have broken through the plateau.