YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 07-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #1  

Default ?'s about you on a diet

I just got the book and have not read it all. But I was wondering if there is anywhere it actually says what foods we can and can't eat. I know there is an example of the diet but I don't see approved foods. Anyone tell me where to find it I'll work on reading the book though. Thanks. Also I noticed you all use to post a daily menu thread but I don't see a recent one. Any plans on doing that again?
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Carrie.....Dr. Oz will be on Oprah today and he will be addressing issues with 'YOU on a Diet'. That maybe helpful for you. There is not an official approved list of foods, just guidelines on what to look for on the labels. The daily menu thread was good but with summer and everyone either traveling or just summer activities....it kinda fell off. If it is helpful to you....go ahead and start a new thread and I am sure others will follow. Welcome to YOAD!!!
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Okay.....I started a new thread for meal planning.....have at it!
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I just finished the book last week. The most I got out of it food wise was YOU cannot eat the following: simple sugars, simple carbs, fructose as in high-fructose corn syrup, trans fat, saturated fat, non-whole-grain flour, and enriched and/or bleached flour.

YOU can eat: whole grain carbs, fiber, nuts, lean meats, fish, soybeans, fruit, veggies, low fat dairy.

So basically eat good foods and leave the junk alone. They suggest you count your calories for a least the first few weeks to be able to really understand what a portion size looks like and how many calories it contains.

I personally use Fitday and record and weigh almost everything. If I go out to eat I try to make the most intelligent choice I can. I drink lots of water and I get in a least 30 minutes of exercise. I've only been on this way of eating for a little over 3 weeks and I've lost 4 1/2 pounds with high hopes for more to be dropping soon.

Good luck and read the book!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #5  
Lovin' Zumba!

Pita420 - you've got it! There is no "list" of foods - it's anything that doesn't contain the things we are not supposed to be eating, along with applying some caloric restrictions to keep your intake moderated.

That is the beauty of this plan for me - I have a lot of flexibility once I'm within my ok food.

As an example - some Cape Cod potatoe chips only contain potatoes, salt and canola oil. So, technically, they are ok on this plan. However, from a calorie standpoint, they are pretty high in calories, compared to the other natural foods, so you really can't be eating a lot of them. But, on occasion, I may want to plan for the calories of 1 or 2 oz. of them with a meal or as a snack, and then I do. But again, this is only a once every week or couple of weeks thing - NOT everyday!

See the grocery list thread up in the Sticky section - that will give you a lot of ideas about what we've been eating.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #6  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

hi all. hope you don't mind if I jump in here with a question: what brand of whole wheat or whole grain bread doesn't contain HCFS? We tried Ezekiel bread but the consistency was just not right for some reason. I have checked everything at W-M and Kroger and just can't find anything. Our nearest whole foods store is over two hours away, so not somewhere I can afford to go as often as I would need.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #7  
Lovin' Zumba!

I've found very few with *no* HFCS - so I strive for those with it not being in the top 5 listed ingredients. I've found that whole grain breads with the word "Natural" on the label fit the bill.

We enjoy Pepperidge Farm Natural 100% whole wheat and PF Natural German Dark Wheat (kind of like pumperknickel).

There's also an Arnold's "Natural whole wheat", but it's harder to find - I can find the PF brand just about everywhere in the US that I've looked.

Hope that helps!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

After spending way too much time in the bread section, the only one I found that didn't use HFCS was Milton's Bread. It's pretty popular found in Safeway, Fred Meyer, etc. Hopefully, you have it in your area.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #9  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
hi all. hope you don't mind if I jump in here with a question: what brand of whole wheat or whole grain bread doesn't contain HCFS? We tried Ezekiel bread but the consistency was just not right for some reason. I have checked everything at W-M and Kroger and just can't find anything. Our nearest whole foods store is over two hours away, so not somewhere I can afford to go as often as I would need.
I buy Nature's Own double fiber bread. HCFS is listed down about 15th on the ingredients list. The doctors say to keep it out of the first 4 ingredients listed. The bread is very good, 50 calories a slice, 5 grams of fiber, and less than one gram of sugar.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote