Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #91  

Happy 2018, Magistra & congrats on your success! Thanks for sharing so much about your woe & delicious-sounding recipes!
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 196/158/150

Height: 5' 6"

Sundove Hi! Happy New Year! So happy to see you hanging in there! I wish you much success and joy in 2018!

Last edited by magistra17; 01-04-2018 at 12:24 AM.
magistra17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #93  

Today the sky was gloomy with clouds and it was dark all day. This set me in a mood for the day and I couldn't shake the tired feeling and gloomy mood. Around 5pm I got a little burst of energy and decided to make waffles for dinner. These were grain free, dairy free, and sugar free. They were absolutely divine, the perfect comfort food for my mood, and my family loved this for dinner. I didn't eat anything with the waffles except butter and a little organic maple syrup, but some of my family added berries and bacon.

Here is the waffle recipe that I used. In order for this to be a true plant paradox recipe, just switch the almond milk to coconut milk. Otherwise this is perfect: http://nurturemygut.com/best-gluten-...es-paleo.html/

Today's menu:
B: flax-seed muffin with a little maple syrup, one green banana sprinkled with cinnamon, coffee with coconut oil and cream
L: 3 pieces bacon, one whole avocado, a big serving of collard greens
D: grain free waffles, maple syrup, butter, green ginger tea
Old 01-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #94  

My weight jumped up 1.6 this morning. I think the gain is coming from swelling. My left shoulder and right foot have been giving me trouble and I can feel swelling in my heel. I might have unseen swelling somewhere else. I have a little headache this morning, which could be from lack of hydrating--always a problem with me.

I started using an energy light and I don't know if it's helping or hindering. The sun is out today so I'm just going to make sure I go outside and get some sun.

I didn't do so well with my woe yesterday. I felt unfocused and emotional. I ate too much protein, too many sweet things, not enough veggies, and no greens. I also did not take all of my supplements.

Yesterday's menu:
B: flax-seed muffin with a Tablespoon maple syrup, one green banana sprinkled with cinnamon, two slices of Applegate organic humanely raised ham, mushroom coffee with 1T MCT oil and cream
L: one whole avocado, 3 slices Applegate organic bacon, 1/2 of a Quest bar, 5 medjool dates
D: 2 slices almond bread with butter and a drizzle of honey, 1/2 of a Quest bar, handful of olives, handful of pistachio nuts, 1 square of 72% dark chocolate

Despite all of this, my mood is good and I'm ready to try again today.

Last edited by magistra17; 01-05-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:51 AM   #95  

Today was definitely better than yesterday. I went out to dinner with a friend to a sushi restaurant. Since I do not eat soy, I did not use soy sauce on my food. I don't eat nightshades so I took the tomato slice out of my salad. I ate exactly one bite of white rice. The rice was a bit of a cheat, since it was probably not pressure cooked. Pressure cooking the rice cooks the lectins out. The miso soup did not have tofu in it and I asked that they not put any crunchies in it either. It was a very good dinner out and very plant paradox friendly. I felt satisfied but not stuffed. Afterwards we had an Americano coffee with heavy cream at Starbucks. It was the perfect dessert.

Today's menu:
B: flax-seed muffin with 1 T. maple syrup, one green banana with cinnamon, coffee with MCT oil, manuka honey and coconut cream
L: sardines, romaine and avocado with evoo and vinaigrette dressing
D: tuna, yellow-tail, and salmon sashimi, wasabi, fresh ginger, lemon, shredded daikon radish; iceberg lettuce salad with purple cabbage, carrots and ginger vinaigrette dressing; miso soup with scallions (no crunchies), white rice and hot sake, coffee with heavy cream

Last edited by magistra17; 01-06-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #96  

Today was productive. I popped out of bed at 7am and got right to work. I'm prepping for back to school which starts in 3 days. And I'm also trying to clean house while I still have the chance. I got a few emails from students and parents this weekend, but decided I am not going to reply until Monday. My job could be 24/7 if I'm not careful. Part of the reason I gained so much weight was because I was so busy taking care of everybody else, I wasn't taking care of myself. It took me a while to learn that nobody is going to take care of me but me.

Today's menu:
B: flax-seed muffin, coffee with MCT oil and cream
L: Quest chocolate chunk power bar, handful of pistachios (I just couldn't figure out lunch today)
D: grass-fed hamburger patty, almond flour and flax-seed bun, mustard, big romaine salad with evoo and balsamic vinegar, handful of green olives, 2 squares 72% dark chocolate, one glass of red wine.

Last edited by magistra17; 01-06-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #97  

My weight is still up a little. It hasn't climbed. It's staying the same, but I do feel a bit of a headache and some sinus pressure. I'm going to drink a lot of water today and run my humidifier. I think I will also limit sweets (maple sryup, honey, medjool dates) this week. I started out the morning with some maple syrup on my waffles, but I intend to make a serious effort to cut all sweets for a few days at least. Let's see how that goes

B: grain free waffles, butter, maple syrup, mushroom coffee with MCT oil, heavy cream
L: small slice of almond/flax-seed bread with butter, one green banana, Quest power bar
D: spicy shredded chicken thighs on a big bowl of shredded cabbage, topped with sour cream, and sriracha sauce

Last edited by magistra17; 01-08-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 AM   #98  

I've had a rough week. Work was hard this week. After the first day of teaching, I slept for three hours in the early evening. I don't even remember what I did for dinner. I don't think I made dinner for three days. On the spur of the moment, I went to a friend's house last night and she fed me an arugula salad, broiled Petrale Sole, and red wine. It was a perfect dinner and it was so nice of her to cook for me.

Today's menu:
B: flax-seed muffin, three pieces of bacon, coffee with MCT oil and cream
L: big bowl of power greens with avocado, evoo and balsamic vinegar.
S: pecans, dark chocolate
D: tacos, homemade grain free tortillas, grass fed ground beef, shredded green cabbage, sour cream, sriracha sauce, red wine

Last edited by magistra17; 01-13-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Magistra. Just stopped in to see how you are doing. I'm impressed at how well you stick to your WOE. Takes dedication. Everything sounds so delicious! I saved that waffle recipe. I don't know if I will ever attempt it or not, but maybe.

Is your shredded cabbage cooked or raw? I like it both ways, either cooked or raw, like in cole slaw.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #100  

Wannabehealthy Hi! Thank you for the compliment! I appreciate it! I do work really hard to stay on my woe.

I like a little crunch when I eat a taco, so I use raw cabbage. I miss crunchy taco shells and they are too complicated to make from scratch so the crunch from the raw cabbage is very satisfying. The rest of my family has become so used to this new way of eating tacos that they no longer care about the old way. Win/win!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #101  

I have been kind of stressed this week, still acclimating to my schedule. I want to say it takes me about a month. This week was definitely better than last week. However, my weight is up another .2 pounds. I hope this will drop once I stop feeling stressed. I feel the change coming.

I've been reading Dr. Jack Kruse book Epi-Paleo Rx. Dr. Gundry's book is so much easier to read and follow than Dr. Kruse and there are a lot of similarities between the two diets, but Dr. Kruse has some ideas in his book that are unique. He talks a lot about the healing light of the sun and how sunlight shrinks mitochondria in our bodies and how that contributes to our health and weight loss. I don't know if there is anything to it, but I've been enjoying having my coffee while sitting outside facing the eastern morning sun. He says we should bare our skin as much as is possible to the sun, and face the east in the early morning. He says we should be barefoot and have our feet touching the earth and not wear sunscreen or sunglasses. I've been removing my eyeglasses and contact lenses too. This morning was cold at 52 degrees, so I did not take off my shoes, but honestly, I liked it for the 15 or 20 minutes that I was out there. I came back in and put my lovely cashmere sweater on and a scarf and after I warmed up, I felt energized. I felt fabulous for the rest of the day.

Anyway I feel that Dr. Kruse's book is worth reading. Another one that I plan to read soon is John Ott - Health and Light. He wrote this book in 1965 on how light affects our health and emotional well being. I'm totally into this. People scoffed at his ideas back in the 60's but we now have scientific evidence that everything he wrote about is true.

Today's menu:
B: two pastured eggs scrambled and cooked in avocado oil, one whole avocado salted with iodized sea salt, coffee with coconut milk, MCT oil and stevia, 1/8 c. pecans
L: green smoothie - romaine, spinach, mint leaves, avocado, stevia, lemon juice, water and ice, coffee with honey and coconut milk, three slices of bacon
D: pastured chicken soup with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, evoo, organic chicken broth, one glass of red wine

Last edited by magistra17; 01-21-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #102  

After Church this morning I mixed my vital reds and prebiothrive with some water and sat outside facing east, wearing a sleeveless top, with my pant-legs rolled up, shoes off, sipping my vitamins. It was chilly but the sun was warm.

Dr. Jack Kruse talks about how many autoimmune diseases are not actually diseases and can all be reversed by a combination of a change of diet, the right supplements, sun, sleep, cold thermogenesis, etc. He discusses conditions like heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, depression, and many others. Dr. Gundry also discusses all of these conditions and believes that they can all be healed through the same type of means.

Anyway, just by reading these two books, The Plant Paradox and Epi-Paleo Rx, I have improved the quality of my life. I am 23 pounds thinner, less depressed, have more energy and elevated mood, have eliminated frequent migraines, and have lowered my blood pressure. I have more health issues to work out, but I am so grateful for the improvements so far. From last year to this year, it’s like night and day.

I felt thinner this morning when I woke up so I weighed myself and my weight has dropped .4 so I think I’m on the right track now. What I did to jump start my weight loss:
I cut maple syrup for now, but not honey or stevia
Stopped using baking powder, which is full of cornstarch (I am now making my own without the cornstarch)
Stopped eating anything after 7pm even if I hadn't eaten dinner
Took all my supplements daily
Drank my water
Got as much sun as I could every day
Replaced heavy cream with coconut milk in my coffee
Got a full night’s sleep plus a nap daily
Increased the amount of greens that I’m eating

I also want to mention that Jack Kruse lost over 130 pounds without exercise. I find this remarkable and I love this information since I do not exercise much myself.

B: two pastured eggs scrambled and cooked in avocado oil, one whole avocado salted, coffee with MCT oil, coconut milk, stevia
L: three slices bacon, green smoothie (baby spinach, romaine, lemon, mint, avocado, stevia), pecans, pistachios, coffee with stevia and coconut milk
D: pastured roast beef, carrots, Brussels sprouts, dark chocolate

Last edited by magistra17; 01-21-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #103  

I had a fantastic day today. I went with a friend to a little family run farm and bought a bunch of fresh produce. They give lessons in gardening so I'll be going back in the spring. I really want to start a garden so I'm excited about this.

B: Quest power bar, coffee with MCT oil, coconut cream
L: leftover roast beef, carrots, brussels sprouts
S: pecans, dark chocolate, coffee with coconut cream
D: pastured chicken cooked in butter and evoo, with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper, asparagus baked with evoo, garlic, salt, pepper and grated parmesan cheese (from Italy)
Old 01-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #104  

I tried out duck eggs today and I like them! They taste like chicken eggs imo. Now I'm imagining ducks running around in my backyard laying eggs. lol!

I was putting coconut cream in my coffee this week and it's so delicious but then I looked at the ingredients and discovered it has 1 gram of cane sugar per tablespoon. Oops! I really need to read labels a little better.

Another error I made is putting store bought baking powder into my daily flax-seed muffin. It has cornstarch in it. I was also occasionally eating a Quest power bar and a friend of mine pointed out that it has corn in it too. I was eating organic humanely raised bacon too, and although it was gluten and soy free, it had corn in it. I was eating these three things almost daily for about a week or two and it caused me to have a flare up of fungus on my skin! I'm not eating these things now and the fungus is going away. Just guessing, but all the corn may have also contributed to my unexplained weight gain a couple weeks ago.

B: one duck egg scrambled and cooked in avocado oil, one avocado, coffee with mct oil and coconut cream
L: salad with collard greens, kale, avocado, pecans, olives, evoo and balsamic vinegar dressing, coffee with heavy cream
D: pastured basil chicken sausage cooked in red wine, Cappello's fettucine with evoo and garlic sauce, romaine salad with evoo and balsamic vinegar, one glass red wine
D: dark chocolate

Last edited by magistra17; 01-25-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #105  

B: handful of nuts, coffee with MCT oil and cream
L: baked sweet potato with butter, coffee with cream, 3 squares dark chocolate
D: leftover pastured roast beef, collard greens, kale, avocado, evoo and balsamic vinegar, one glass red wine, three medjool dates