Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #121  
Donna

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Well, I am about carbed out. This weekend has been ok, but higher carbs than usual. My sil, bil and niece made stuffed artichokes for dinner on Saturday it was a ww recipe and it was awful, but luckily the stuffing I'd made had 6 cups of chopped veggies so we weren't completely veggie less. But yesterday I was in one of those modes where I just wanted carbs and more carbs. Today probably won't be a whole lot better, sooooo. But tomorrow I promise I will get back on track.

Welcome to the newbies.

Linda - I think the holidays have become too commercial as well, but you need to relax a little and not worry about what you've lost and what everyone else is doing. You can only control what you do. Maybe you could make a list of what you have to be thankful for, like your kids and husband, a new hobby painting that may become more, a significant weight loss even if you're not exactly where you want to be, think where you've come. We can only do what we can do and beating our selves up about what we can't control only hurts ourselves. Sorry if that sounded preachy, you're just a great lady and I hate to hear you so down.

Ann - A couple more days and I'm thru with birthdays, then I can think about Christmas, I can't believe you're done shopping already. How are those steps coming?

Haylo - with the new HD tv I could become a big football fan. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Kim - mmm venison, my BIL was complaining he didn't get to hunt much, so I'm not sure that we'll be getting any this year (neither dh or I hunt). I need to find a source that sells it.

Well, I should get moving. I made the menu for the next couple of weeks and now I have to make the shopping list and head to the store.

Have a great day everyone.

Oh yea, I was down a 1.6 on Saturday (home scale I haven't been to ww in a month). Not sure that's still true, but I'll take it.

-Tech
Old 11-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #122  

Helloooooo all! I hope you all had a great holiday!

Dh, the girls, and I just got back from my parent's last night. We had a nice Thanksgiving with them; my dad is so funny...he just loves my dds so much.

I didn't think I did too badly over the weekend, but this morning I seemed to be up a few lbs. To tell you truthfully, I'm a little glad. I am grasping for ANYTHING that will get me remotivated. My eating has been all over the place for months, and I've stayed the same...maybe seeing that the scale inched up a little will kick start me.

Linda- I really love the idea of donating $1/lb lost. Would you want to do that with me? Or we could do $1 for each day that we stayed op? BTW, I loved your painting!!! I picked up an old, non food related hobby the other day, too. I love to crochet, and while at my parent's, my mom gave me a afghan that my grandmother had started working on but never finished. My grandmother would only do the ripple pattern, and that is the only one that I can really do, so my mom told me I could take it and finish it. It is still very hard for me to accept that my grandmother is gone; I think this afghan is going to be something really special...like we worked on it "together," you know?

Well, so today I had some job news. I was offered the job! Now I'm in an even bigger "OH CRAP, what do I do?!" I've been so back and forth about this...one minute I'm thinking that I don't want to move, then the next I want to go. Realistically, I think that if I am so torn about it, probably the best thing would be to turn it down. I wish someone else would make the decision for me!

Anyway, hope you all are doing well....I have two papers that need to be written, so I guess I should stop procrastinating!!! Chat later!

Last edited by mpaigew; 11-26-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #123  

Paige: welcome back from your trip. Congrats on the job!!! I hope you make a decision that will leave you happpy. I wish I could tell you what to do and make things easier for you but in the end you are the only one who knows what's best. It's funny how gaining weight sometimes gets you back on track, I know that happens to me over and over again.

tech: I love hdtv, I think I have become even more addicted to football since having one. Oh yeah congrats on your loss

derry: sorry your daughter has jumped off the WW band wagon, I guess the best thing would be to lead by example. Sounds like you got off to a fresh start also!!!

ontarget: thanks, I will definatly put that gain behind me
Old 11-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #124  
focused and aiming

Linda, I am sorry you're feeling holiday blues. I think that's what it's called. Is your daughter very overweight? I was always overweight when I was growing up--and still am. You're smart not to push her. She'll have to decide on her own what she wants to do. What you can do is be a good example for her.

That was smart of you for making those TV dinners out of lo's.

Faylene, I know you're frustrated, but I am glad you're starting to focus on what you can do. Coming to this site is a wonderful aide. You (we) can do this. We can lose weight and keep it off.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #125  
focused and aiming

Donna, I'm carbed up, too. We have that behind us now and can get on with the process of losing.

Paige, I've been all over the place, too. All we can do is just keep on keepin' on and not give up. (That's redundant, isn't it?)

Janelle, I'm glad you're moving forward.

We go to Ww in the AM for WI. I am expecting a gain. I am re-dusted and ready to face the new week. Not much else going on around here.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #126  

Faylene, you can have more than a 1/2 cup of oatmeal to count as a serving. Check the package and allow yourself what it calls a "serving size", OK?
I was reading up about dietary things/carbs today and I read that blood sugar and moods can be really affected and that often people who eat lots of extra carbs/sugars over the holidays have issues with mood disorders. No wonder I was so bummed out over the last few days. My diet was so off that it threw me off emotionally. I'm really going to have to watch it.
Tech, thanks for your pep talk. You are 100% right, you know. I need to get myself in a better place and I hope to be able to do that. Your suggestions are good ones. Thanks. Congrats on the 1.6 loss, that is good!
I have weigh in tomorrow and I just had ham for dinner. I was at such a loss as to what to serve that I just ended up with it. So, will the sodium and Thanksgiving indulgences cause a gain? Well, if it does I can live through it. I was very good and stayed CORE all day today. I will just keep at it.
Paige, I donated $25.00 (more than I have lost - now there is some incentive) to a program today called "Mealey's Meals" that they have at my DD's school. They give food and gifts to families in the school system that are needy. So, I did it already! But, I challenge you and everyone else to make a donation equal (or better in some cases) to a local charity. Let's feed and give to others who NEED it!
Paige, congratulations on the job offer. Even if you don't take it, it's great to have the offer. No one can decide other than you, for sure. There are so many things to think about. I can't wait to hear your decision. But, weather you take it or not, know that it was offered and if you decide to just stay put then you can live with your choice. You know that you are good and that there will be opportunities that arise right near your present home, they might be different, but they will be good ones. Believe me, as I have moved due to my DH's job in the past, there is a great deal to think about. I hope you have a bit of time.
Haylo was exactly right on with what she said, we all want nothing buy happiness for you. That is truly what matters.
Sandra, my daughter is not terribly overweight. She's taken off several pounds already with WW. I think that is part of the trouble, she's just plain sick of it. She wants to have fun over the holidays (who doesn't, but I have learned that it's not all involving food, is it?) and doesn't want to be feeling pressured about weighing in and dealing with it all. I'm afraid she'll allow herself to go right back to where she was and that would be awful.
She gave me the "I'm comfortable with my body" comment over the weekend as she had about her third or fourth piece of pie. I had some pie as well, but stopped at two pieces (one Thursday and one Friday). I worry. But, she is 17 and almost an adult. I can't nag her day in and day out. I can just set the example and pray.
Well, off I go to get my sugar free/fat free pudding and watch a bit of TV. I'm feeling so much better this evening and more on track, I think sugar and white flour products are truly bad for my emotions, not to mention weight.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 11-26-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #127  
focused and aiming

Linda, I totally understand where your daughter's coming from. And I totally understand your concern. I am down about 50 lbs from my highest weight. Sometimes I catch myself getting "comfortable" with where I am now weightwise.

I think we should all get on "Dancing with the Stars" or "Survivor". Seems folks lose a lot on those shows. Well, this season the survivors don't seem to have dropped much but those dancers! Amazing.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #128  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone,
This is a busy place.

Janelle, how many calories do you eat in a day? My walking is going great. I think I am getting a new pedometer for a surprise....I saw one...ha ha. Wouldn't it be funny if it wasn't for me.
I hope you are doing well.

Sandra, good luck with your weigh in tomorrow. How has the weather been there?

Linda, it is so great you love painting. I think when we have a hobby it helps us to feel better. I am sorry about your daughter. My friend's children are baking and making things, for example making a ceramic mug and a baked treat. Since most of her friends do not have weight problems and eat in moderation I don't know that it will be a problem. One time I made a coupon book for my friend and offered baby sitting, laundry services, cooked meals. It was fun making it.

Paige, good luck with your choice, follow your heart. Be true to you. Remember to live life with no regrets.....I know you will make the best decision for yourself, but we always want others to make our decision. It makes it much easier. You will either make the right choice or you will make the choice right....either way you win.
Barb, how are you doing?
Kim, it sounds like you and your family have fun at Christmas and you do remember He is the reason for the season.
Erica, where are you?
Erika where are you too?
Kim, how are you doing? Are you coming back?
What ever happened to Ginny?

Faylene, welcome and I wish you success on your journey.

Donna, I wish you the best of luck getting back on plan.

Laura, how are you? What is new in your life.

Take Care All
Sorry if I missed anyone.
Ann
Old 11-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #129  
newlifestyle

Linda, I do hope that you are feeling better. That is great you figured out what is making you feel down. I liked your suggestion, so I gave $60.00 gift card for the local grocery store to a family that the husband lost his job. I will give more, just wanted to do that as part of your suggestion.
Thank you for the suggestion. It made me feel good. Please give other suggestions you have like that.
I also talked to the mom but she said they didn't need money for toys as they had bought most of their Christmas presents throughout the year. She also told me she would call me if she needed help with her utilities or things like that.
So thankful for your suggestion. Because of your suggestion I found a family in need. Our community has also added them to the list to give food hampers to.
Have a great night.
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 11-26-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #130  
newlifestyle

Paige, I am not sure if you saw this article or not about the best place to raise kids.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07...s/index_01.htm
Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 PM   #131  
focused and aiming

Ann, our weather is much better now. We got a lot of rain over the weekend that sort of turned part of the ranch into a lake. We have gravel ordered to reinforce and extend our driveway, but it's not here yet. There's a lot of gas drilling going on in the area and the gas folks are placing a high demand on the gravel. Guess we're having to wait our turn.

I'm impressed that you're walking so much. I only did 1/2 a mile on the today. Tomorrow I'll do better. I have a TV set up now to give me something to focus on so that should help keep me on it longer. Today I wrapped Christmas presents instead of exercising. (That's my excuse, anyway.)

What a wonderful thing to do! You rock, Ann.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 AM   #132  

Happy Tuesday all!!

My menu for today...
Breakfast-Oatmeal-2

Lunch-salmon w/lemon, salt, and pepper-2
veggies-0
spiniach salad w/rasp balsamic-0

Dinner-venison stroganoff-10
WW dessert-3

Total-17/27

I planned some extra "breathing room" for today, as well as it is my chocolates class and the blt's might get me. Maybe not...just want to be prepared.

Thanks all for the encouragement on my decision about the job. I decided to turn it down. I guess really in my heart I knew it wasn't the right time, plus the salary she was offering me just wasn't enough. I knew what her range was, but I really thought she would go towards the higher end, and I could negotiate some more. She offered me the very lowest, so at best I probably would of been able to negotiate a little bit higher than that, but not to where I wanted. I realized that I was making way more than that 5 years ago when I was working, and without a degree. So, it just wasn't the right time right now. I am just having faith that other opportunities will find me, and I know that they will...they always do.

I am challenging myself and anyone else...starting today I am donating $1 for every day that I stay op to the food pantry at church, which does extra things at Christmastime.

Off to class...hope you all have a great day! I'll check in later...
Old 11-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #133  

Good morning all!
Do any of you get Dottie's Weight Loss Zone's newsletter? I wont plagiarize the entire thing, but this quote from the one I read from this week was a really good thing to share:

Let's all make a list of what we are going to do to ensure continued success on our Journey during the holidays. This year we are going to be on that Christmas list - right at the top - 1st one. Remember, by taking care of ourselves we are taking care of our loved ones. It really is the best present to give them, along with yourself.

I really thought this tied in with many of the things we have been discussing here.
Sandra, I have not been a follower of either of those shows, but hear about them on the news. I understand Marie Osmond has lost several dress sizes! That just goes to show you that dancing is great exercise!
I like your coupon idea, Ann. One year I had my daughter do something like that for her brother as she didn't have funds to buy him something. Coupons were for things like "I'll take out the trash for you one week", "I'll give you a back rub", and various things. She created them all and tied them with a nice little bow around them. I took note, from time to time that the coupons were redeemed as well. It was cute.
By the way, painting class is today and then we go on December "break" and don't pick up again until January. Oh well. I hope I finish mine today so I can at least take it home. I'm going to bring my largest laundry basket lined with an old towel in the back of the car when I go. I have fear of driving with a wet oil paint in the back of the car. If I hit the brakes quickly, who knows what would happen! : )
Ann, I'm so pleased that you followed my suggestion and that a family will benefit for it. I like the idea of a challenge like that. If some of you can't afford it, maybe a babysitting coupon for a single mom who is struggling so she can get out once in awhile would work too.
Sandra, I've been bad about committing to my exercise as well. I have to do better. It does help you lose weight, we know, but emotionally.
Well, here is today's eating plan:

Breakfast:
oatmeal, made with FF milk
pink grapefruit sections

Snack:
banana

Lunch:
1 egg, 2 egg white omelette with onion, peppers, diced tomato and spinach with feta cheese (counting the points for the low fat vs. ff cheese)
one slice lite rye bread with butter spray (no need to count the point as two slices = one point!)
skim milk
apple

Dinner:
Boneless pork chop, pan seared.
Will try to make a reduction sauce of my own creation with apple, cinnamon and a bit of white wine - it if doesn't come out well, I'll pitch it.
barley or rice
string beans

Dessert:
Sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding with lite cool whip

So, what's on your plate today?

Have a great day everyone,
Linda
Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #134  

Paige, we cross posted. I am glad you made a decision you are comfortable with. It was a great exercise for you, I think, so the next opportunity will be even better. Now, you can relax over the holidays! Do you feel less stress already having made a choice? Your eating plan will be good and in control now that this stress is over with. Doing things like this is really a fun thing, but it does cause stress.
Good eating plan for the day. I doubt I'd have control in a chocolate class. As I love to live vicariously, do share what is done in the class.
By the way, I purposely had (using 2 points) a small piece of dark chocolate yesterday afternoon. It's serotonin level increasing, as we know, so that with a nice cup of tea after lunch and some "therapy sewing" and a few phone calls to some local friends made me smile a bit. Tea, chocolate and a few long chats with friends - what could be finer?
Well, off to make a school lunch as well as breakfast.
Oh, by the way, my local Shaws supermarket is carrying a brand of lean pastrami round that they shave very finely. I asked then to read me the serving size and calories from the packaging. It's so lean that it comes to 50 calories for 2 ounces. 2 ounces of shaved deli meat is a very nice serving. If you have that on lite rye bread with mustard, it's only a 3 point sandwich. DD has been enjoying this for her lunches at school as "something different".
Old 11-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

Hi Everyone,

It has been a really long time since I last posted, about a week...and I ready everyone's post but it seems to much to to respond to everyone. So I am hoping I can just jump back in I jumped on the scale the other more and it was up 2 1/2 lbs, I am really hoping that was water weight but honestly it was worth every ounce-ha! My birthday celebrations lasted a week and within that was Thanksgiving. Granted I wish I got to the gym a few times over the course of the week but hopefully now I will no to not let that happen over the Christmas holiday. I am back to being a good weight watcher though
Closed Thread