Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Default Supporting Each Other on Our Weight Loss Journey

This is a great thread for those who want support, helpful hints, friendship and a great bunch of people to communicate with. This thread has existed for a long time and we keep re-starting it whenever the old one gets too long. Feel free to stop in and chat, we are not a "closed" group and welcome newcomers. Some of us have been together for well over a year, some only a few days, but we care about each other. We offer tips, we share, we pick each other up of the floor when we've had rough times and we applaud when someone does well.

So, please do stop on by and share a bit, support is what it's all about! We can really do this together
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #2  

To answer a couple questions about my problems getting on this site, no I don't have a virus but it's been an ongoing problem that I have occasionally here. I believe it has something to do with the Trbal Fusion Ad portion of the site. It hangs and it won't go anywhere. Not sure if my virus scanners or popup blockers play interference but it can be frustrating some days. Doesn't happen but once in a while but it is frustrating.

Off to a new week of work and fun. I have my handy dandy lunch bag packed per Ann's suggestion. Tools of the trade I'm going to refer to them as. I am going to take my books to work today and review them and dig out one of my old Week 1 books for a friend.

Have a good day and week everyone. I hope to report back that I had a GREAT DAY! I'm going to, I can feel it.

Last edited by Rosegarden; 11-12-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #3  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Laura, thank you so much for starting this thread. I was having problems trying to post this morning. Sometimes that happens when the thread gets more than 7 pages or so. Don't know why, really don't care why, I just no it happens. One of life's little mysteries. It sounds like you are very positive today. I know you will have a great day. Enjoy.

Ooops, DS just called gotta go.

I do hope everyone has an awesome day. good morning to everyone, Kim, Kim2, Jackie, Janelle, Linda, Paige, Barb, Donna, Sandra, Erika, Erica, and everyone else. Sorry if I missed you. Keep posting, it helps us all. I will post more later.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 11-12-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #4  

Barb-Before I get interrupted by my dds, I wanted to post this to you...

I read your post about the woman giving the $ to your kids. Yesterday at church I was given a brochure about a program we are doing this year; you wrap a shoe box and fill it with different things for a boy or girl. I'm having my dd put in a note and a photo of herself, and they say to put in an "anchor toy" such as a doll and then put in necessities like socks, soap, school supplies, and other general items like sunglasses, stickers, etc. Our church is gathering all of the boxes and sending them, but you can go online to www.samaritanspurse.org to get more information about where you can send a box so that it is given out appropriately. My older daughter is not understanding that the holidays are about love and the giving spirit...every commercial that comes on she says "Ooooooo, this is pretty" over and over so I get the hint that she wants whatever toy the commercial is for. I was trying to explain to her yesterday who the boxes would be going to, and she just didn't understand that there are kids out there that don't have the things she has. I was surprised that she couldn't grasp that concept.

Anyway...just one way that is pretty easy to get your kids involved in giving to others less fortunate.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM   #5  

Red face I love Mondays - day of new beginnings!!!!!

Erika! So good to have you back. I have thought of you so many times and wondered. Time to get back on the wagon! What can we do to help?
Today is Monday, I LOVE MONDAYS!!! Monday begins a new tracker for me, 35 flex points, a fresh outlook for a new week! Hooray for Mondays! Hooray for planning ahead!
What have you all done to plan ahead for today? For the week?
Ann, Veterans Day, then, is the same in the USA as well as Canada, I'm glad we have that in common. I will be saying a special prayer for our veterans today. But, today will seem kind of ordinary as I still have my quilt guild meeting.
Today is a government holiday here as well. No mail, no banks, but DH went to NYC just the same. Many people work today so they can be given the day after Thanksgiving off, which is nice. My son will be working at the mall - a huge shopping day for people, by the way. He sold a 7,000 dollar king mattress and box spring Saturday, quite a feather in his cap. Apparently (from what he tells us at least) the ones Brookstone sells are a cut above the other memory foam types that are less costly, elsewhere. I'm not sure, but when I laid down on one in the store, I was in heaven. Perhaps some day...
Core cornbread? Do you have a good core cornbread recipe, Sandra? That sounds interesting and a way to have the leftover chicken that will be something different. I have a family recipe for a rice pilaf that I usually do with leftover chicken, but it's got non core foods in it and I should take the time to convert it to CORE, but won't have time to figure that out today.
Laura, thanks for starting a new thread. You were mentioning having a hard time getting on this site, so I hope this is helpful to you. Just a reminder to ALL of you. I initially started this thread ages ago, but I do not "own" it, we all participate and any time any of you feel it should be re-started, then just copy, cut and paste the entry to it (or make up your own but just keep the title of the thread so we can find each other again!) and go for it. I think this title has existed about three or four years here, people have come and gone, but it's truly been wonderful. We've had people, such as Erika, for example, come for awhile and then come back - and then she see's the title of the thread and can find us right away! Yeah!
Our general rule of thumb is to let the thread go for 10 pages, however, sometimes it's so hard to download that we need to re-start it earlier.
Laura, just read you posting and sounds like you are prepared and I just know you will do well!
Menu plan for today:

Breakfast:
stuck in a rut oatmeal (I do love it) made with fat free milk
strawberries

Snack: bringing a WW 2 point bar to my quilt guild meeting, staying away from the tables laden with food

Lunch:
Great northern beans, heated with diced tomato, with a tad of fat free cheese melted over top. Maybe I'll try a bit of basil/oregano as well?
skim milk
pink grapefruit sections
fat free yogurt mixed with salsa and niblet corn

(trying to design my own fun and different foods for a change???)

Dinner:
Maybe core cornbread with my leftover chicken, not sure.
I will be having leftover chicken.
I might make rice with chicken broth and brown it in olive oil with a bit of onion and garlic before adding the broth, then add the leftover cut up chicken to it, kind of my own rice pilaf thing?
Will have a fresh vegetable of some sort with it, I hope to do a bit of grocery shopping this afternoon and get asparagus

Dessert:
CORE blueberry cobbler with lite cool whip
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 AM   #6  

Paige, I like the shoebox idea! Your daughter has YOU as an example and from what I know of you, you will teach her well. She is quite young to understand the fine art of giving. I know she'll get it.
By the way, when I was younger and my kids were in Sunday School, we started what was called "The Garden of Giving" at my church. We planted a wonderful vegetable garden. People signed up to care for the garden a week at a time, like watering and weeding it. Each person's job for the week, as well, was to pick any produce we had grown and give it away to someone in need.
For example, I had a neighbor whose husband was unemployed and I would stop by at her home with fresh tomatoes, squash and flowers. We had a supply of zip lock bags with little notes for people to put in with the vegetables. The note said something like "You have been blessed by a gift from the garden of giving...". It was the coolest thing, ever, that I have been a part of. I think going to tend that garden with my kids was so peaceful and it truly taught them.
We used to drop of boxes of veggies and tomatoes that were given out with meals on wheels in our community.
All good things must come to an end, they had to add on to our church and the space where the garden was became the foundation for the addition. But, I shall hold the memory in my heart forever of what we did.

Last edited by derrydaughter; 11-12-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #7  

Goooooooood Monday morning all!!!!

My menu for today (making it up as I type!)

Breakfast- Pb & sugar free j on ww lite toast-3

Lunch-progresso soup-5
squash-0

Snack-tuna w/ff mayo-3

Dinner-ww pasta w/homemade spaghetti sauce-10

Dessert-sugar free cocoa-1
Total-22/27

My appetite is already feeling so-so this morning...wondering if that will change during the day? TOM is 17 days late. SO annoying...99% sure I don't have anything to worry about, but that 1% is nagging at me, even though I've taken two pregnancy tests.

Dh and I started another weight loss challenge. We are doing it kind of on a weekly basis...whoever has the most % lost gets a 15 min massage from the other person. Our weigh-ins are on Saturdays. I really want to hit my birthday goal, especially since I still have that bridesmaids dress that I need to fit into, so I'm hoping this challenge with him will help to keep me motivated. I think doing it on a weekly basis will help, too.

Linda-That is the sad thing, too...my dd is so commercialized because I let her get that way. She is going to be in for a surprise when there are no Barbies, no baby dolls...none of that junk under the tree this year. I just can't bring myself to buy any of that when I know it will get played with for an hour, and then get tossed in the play room with the rest of the stuff that doesn't get played with. Both my girls LOVE to draw and color, so they will be getting coloring books, notebooks, reems of computer paper (they are CONSTANTLY asking for paper to draw pictures on,) and paint...I don't mind getting them those types of things that they can be creative with. My dh is also setting up their own computer with learning games. He is also making them a computer desk and chairs that are their size. One other reason I really want to get away from buying toys is because most of them are made in China...I don't want to take the chance of them being harmful to my kids.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day...I will be back on later to post some more.

Oh, btw, my NYC food show cake is the first one in the slide show on my myspace page. It's copper colored, 4 tier, with leaves and reddish colored daisy like flowers. It actually looked MUCH better in person...the picture distorted the colors some.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #8  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

Good Monday morning!

Boy, it is nice and peaceful here at my house. I forget how loud and rowdy the kids can get, especially when the weather isn't great and they can't get outside and blow off steam.

Paige - Good luck with your challenge with DH! What a great idea. I would have to alter it somehow, since my DH doesn't have to loose anything - bugger - but maybe an excersize challenge would work.... I too like the shoebox idea. When we lived in our old house, the town that I worked in had a shelter that organized "adopt a family" for the holidays. I would always volunteer our family and provide gifts and goodies to the family we were given. What always made me feel good was that my kids loved picking out the stuff for the kids, but they wanted to do something for the mom too. There was never information about sizes or anything for the grown-up in the house, so we usually would pick out a holiday decoration or plant, and then provide a turkey and fixings for their holiday dinner. When we would drop off the loot, the mom's were always surprised that we would think about them and give them a special something. We were very disappointed that there wasn't anything like that where we live now, not even through the salvation army, so we usually just donate extra food to the food pantry. Last year I sent donations to the service men over in Iraq. I think the shoe boxes might be fun for the kids. I agree with the toy situation, it is similar at my house. A couple years ago we got the kids tickets to see the Lion King on stage... the tickets were pricy so they didn't get much more after that. This year, Jeff Corwin will be in the area, so they are getting those tickets. We also make the kids go through all there toys and pick one or two things that they can donate to charity. It has to be something that is in good shape, has all the pieces, and would make a nice gift to someone. It is the most torturous time for them, but they do it and it helps to reduce the amount of "stuff" they have that they don't play with!

Barb - What a wonderful opportunity for life lessons!! This is a great way to tell the kids about the idea of Pay it Forward. We call it the Good Karma Bug here. When you do good things for others, good things happen to you.

Wecome Back Erika!

Laura - have a great day! I hope your positive attitude stays with you throughout the entire day!

Linda - your "rice pilaf thing" is how I make rice pilaf all the time!! I do add a little sherry, but I think you could exchange that for wine vinegar if sherry isn't core (are liquors legal if you cook with them?). Sounds like a great dinner.... giving me ideas for mine as I haven't planned yet!!

Well, I am off! Hello to everyone!!
Kim2
Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #9  
Donna

Good Morning Chickies,

Ugh...I had a long post and hit delete by accident and deleted the whole thing before posting Oh well.

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of weeks I've been in one of those "I just don't want to do this anymore" kind of moods. But I have dusted myself off and hauled my big booty onto the wagon and am starting over today! I weighed myself at home and am about what I weighed when we got back from vacation, so hopefully I didn't do too much damage.

Goals for the week:
1) plan out my meals either in the morning or the night before each day.
2) no more than 2 pts of wine each day.
3) get back to moving at least 4 days this week.

Todays meal plan (if I post it maybe I'll be more accountable):
b: mock sausage mcmuffin w/egg - 4
s: banana - 2
l: spaghetti squash w/marinara - 0
home made ww bread - 3
activia yogurt - 1
s: fiberone bar - 2
d: garlic chicken (we have huge breasts so....) - 6
brown rice - 4
roasted asparagus - 1

23/27 leaving me 4 pts for an evening snack.

I'm going to post this before I lose it again, I'll respond to people in another post.

-Tech
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #10  
Donna

I forgot to mention that I've modified my goal, I would like to loose 8 lbs for Christmas, this puts me solidly in the 210's so that would be good.

Laura - Hope packing that bag helps. I was going to suggest the thermos idea also. I have a wide mouth one I loved for things like stew and oatmeal. Thanks for thinking of me and good luck. My popup blocker had problems like that a couple of months ago. Luckily DH is really good at computer stuff (he actually built ours from parts rather than buying one) and got it fixed. If you'd like I can see if he remembers what he did and PM you the info.

Ann - You sound like such a great lady. How are things going for you besides crazy?

Linda - Loved the quilt pics. I spent most of last week up in my room sewing. Still need to add that binding though that's one of this week's goals.

Kim2 - Maybe you could check out some of the local churches, for things like that, I know my mom and dad's church did something like that while we were growing up and they're close to you. Hope your doing well today.

Barb - How's the plan coming, you can see I've made mine, now I've got to stick to it . Good Luck.

Erika - Welcome Back.

Sandra - So when are you selling this place? Last time you did this much yard work 2 mos later you announced you were selling. on being on plan for 6 days.

Paige - I like the challenge you have with dh. How did the interview in TN go?

Well, I've gotta go start striping wall paper Sorry to anyone I missed.

Have a great day chickies.

-Tech
Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #11  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi ladies, it sounds like this was a busy place today. All these posts are wonderful. It makes you realize that this world is a place with many good people. Thanks for sharing all the great things people do.
We do shoe boxes every year and it is something we have so much fun doing. My DS still doesn't totally get it. I know he will if he see it. I know growing up we didn't ever have much. I guess then we didn't want our children to go without. My son is the youngest nephew/grandchild so everyone goes a little crazy over him. Last year I told him to pick out packages that were still wrapped and we donated those as well as the other ones he helped us pick out. It was ridiculous all the presents under the tree for him. I also asked our relatives to donate to charities of their choice instead of going crazy over him.

I love the idea of paying it forward. It not only makes the person receiving but also the person doing the giving feel good. It is a win win situation.

Thanks to everyone for posting meal plans it gives me great ideas. I do appreciate it.

Hello to Donna, Laura, Barb, Paige, Linda, Jackie, Erika, Kim, Kim2, Erica, Janelle, Sandra, and anyone else posting or lurking.

Our we having a challenge here? I wonder if I could lose 8 pounds by Christmas. Challenges scare me when they involve weight. I am okay with the step challenges/ exercise. My leader mentioned they will be introducing something the second or third week in December. She says it is exciting.
I guess time will tell.

Have a wonderful night everyone and take care.
Ann
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #12  

Time will tell is right Ann - they are clearing out all the cookbooks at our WW Center which tells me change is coming - I really hope they don't do away with points. I doubt it but I can't figure out why they would sell out all the cookbooks
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #13  

Hello everyone,

Well today i got back on track with eating and excercise.
Hmm, my goal is to stay on track during thanksgiving. Also I am going to a spurs game next wed. so I am hoping that I will have lost the 2lbs I gained back by then.

tech: good to hear from you, I am glad you have decided to get yourself going again. I think your goal is attainable.

ann: I am at 18,000 steps right now hopefully I will hit my 20,000 before I go to bed.

erika: welcome back

mpaige: I like your challenge idea, good way to keep motivated. I also think the shoebox idea is great.

Barb: Wow, what a wonderful experience I can't say I have ever experinced anything like that, but I would love to do something like that for somebody. Maybe I will do that during the christmas holiday's if I happen to come across a family or person that looks like that are in need of something I am going to give them somthing or at least donate/volunteer for charity. I love doing that kind of stuff.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #14  

Quick post, I'm running late and it's been a crazy day. I'll be on line tomorrow with responses to everyone, etc.
Good to see you back Tech!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #15  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi all,

Day 1 of my restart went pretty well. I had a pretty evil stiff neck this weekend so I took some generic Robaxacet this morning which put me in a daze all day. I was also fighting the munchies, but I didn't cave. It's an uphill battle ... I'm fighting a virus, too ... but I can do it!!

Planning for tomorrow:
breakfast - fiber one and a banana - 4
lunch = burrito and salad - 7
dinner = subway ==6
snacks: cheese & crackers 3
yogurt 1
baked cheetos 2

Total 23.
I'm supposed to be on 19 but really. 19? Good thing I have those flex points!

Paige - Samaritan's Purse seems like a good idea. At our church the kids are selling christmas cards to help a child in India go to school. It's so good to instil these values early.

Linda and all - It is great to be back and you can help me just by being your wonderful selves!! Thanks for the warm welcome back!

Tech - Great job getting back on the wagon! I am with you!!!

Ann - Hugs to you ... great idea about getting relatives to donate to charity. I get my parents to put some money into Claire's RESP (education fund for you non-Canadians)

Janelle = WtG getting back on track! We have some real momentum going here!

Kim, Barb, Laura, Sandra and anyone else I missed - hugs and wishes for a great day tomorrow!

(btw - tomorrow is my birthday - 39! No really, 39 )

cheers
Erika
Closed Thread