Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:22 AM   #46  

Hola girls!

Had an interesting day here....we spent the better part of the afternoon at school in a lockdown situation. Apparantly someone wanted for murder in Texas chose our little town to attempt to cash some checks, was identified, and ended up on the river directly behind our school. Twas quite interesting, and they still haven't caught the guy!

I had a great LBWO this afternoon. I'm on a new rotation, still heavy weights, but am pyramiding, most sets, doing reps of 15, 12, 10, 8, and increasing the weight each time. I actually did 610 on the leg press this afternoon as my highest weight, and am almost able to do the stack (one more plate) on the leg curl.

It was interesting, I was talking to my trainer this afternoon, and we were admiring my arms, and how good they look. He said, "and think, your arms look great...that is not un-feminine, or un-sexy at all." I had to totally agree, and thought of recent discussions here.

Audrey~ glad your eyes feel better. I also can't imagine doing 2 cardios in one day. I've actually been thinking that for a while, when you would talk about your cardio days!

Chelly~ I checked out your pictures earlier tonight. You have made great progress! Way to go girl!

Frannymae~ You also look great! You have motivated me to start taking pictures, like you did, and putting them together to see progress!

Ugh...I still haven't figured out this posting thingie...can't seem to see all the replies.

I'm going to go attempt to post my pictures to the album...then I'm headed for bed...am exhausted, with a long day tomorrow!

Keep on lifting!

Lois
Old 09-24-2003, 01:17 AM   #47  

Frannymae- you have obviously made progress! I really should take some pictures of my own someday. soon.

Mrs Jim, I'm sorry for your loss. And I hope I don't come across as callous, but I'm glad that he went peacefully. I hope that my aged relatives will go in a similar manner.

Audrey, how's the skin? Have you tried Shiseido products? It's not advertised as natural or anything, but some of my friends with sensitive skin find that it's one of the few brands that they don't react to.

I did an okay session of cardio this morning. I'm finding myself a little frustrated now. You see, I'm stronger than I've ever been. I know my arms are building up, and when I pummel-massage my bum(don't ask), it feels more solid beneath the layer of fat. Anyway, so my weights are going well and I'm getting stronger and presumably building more muscle. Trouble is, it's all hidden beneath the fat. Annoying, but I've no choice but to keep at it, hey?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:58 AM   #48  
Peace with body and soul

Morning Ladies. Stopping for my monthly visit and bringing along an interesting article:

GO ACTIVE HAPPY MEAL: McDonald's is pilot-testing an adult Happy Meal called the "Go Active Happy Meal" in several cities in Indiana this fall. The meal, which costs $4.99, includes a salad and either bottled water or a fountain drink, a small pedometer, and a 10-page exercise booklet. The new Happy Meal is part of McDonald's Healthy Lifestyles program, which is an ongoing campaign focusing on menu choice, education, and PA. To read more about the program visit,
http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/...003/index.html.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:44 PM   #49  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hello everyone.
I am a bit overwhelmed by reading through this thread but I'll get there and I am so appreciative of all your detailed posts. I am just beginning my journey and since I am really running short if time now I am going to post in my bio under your stats thread...But I don't have my measurements here at work.

This thread is so inspiring to me... and I can't wait until I can inspire someone someday!
Old 09-24-2003, 03:05 PM   #50  

funny!

September 24, 2003

NOTE FROM CHRIS:

Anna Kournikova, the 22-year-old Russian-born tennis player
who has never won a tour tournament, introduced a new sports
bra in the U.S. last week. The athlete, who's more popular
for her looks than her game, will model the sports bra
with the tagline: "Only the ball should bounce."

Since here at TopFive we sit around thinking about
Anna all day anyway, we thought we might as well pitch
in and give her some other taglines to consider....

Today's complete list:

The Top 15 Alternate Taglines for
Anna Kournikova's New Sports Bra

15> Losing Never Looked So Great!

14> Endorsed by the Entire Russian Olympic Hockey Team

13> Hey, Guys -- Buy My Bra and I'll Be Left Without One!

12> Love 38s!

11> Soon to Be Sold to Some Pudgy, Sweaty Pervert on eBay

10> Hold Up *Your* Sagging Career

9> A Lovely Case for the Only Trophies *You'll* Ever Have
to Show Off

8> As Close as You're Ever Going to Get to My Rack, Dorkboy

7> Crap. If This Thing Works, I Got Nothin' Left

6> Because Two Bouncers Might Show You the Door

5> Just Tell the Sales Clerk It's for Your Girlfriend, You
Little Perv

4> Support Can Be Sexy -- Just Ask Your Boyfriend, Who's
Masturbating to My Catalogue Right Now

3> Available in Small, Medium and Serena

2> Anna 1, Anna 2...

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Alternate Tagline
for Anna Kournikova's New Sports Bra...

1> Supporting the Troops on the Russian Front
Old 09-24-2003, 03:05 PM   #51  

G'Afternoon all. No time to respond to everyone, but I just have to chuckle at the notion that McDonald's is test-driving a healthy meal for adults in Indiana. Indiana? According to several reports, this state has one of the highest obesity rates in the country. If it can sell here, it can sell anywhere!

Ilene, you asked if I was eating enough protein. Maybe not. I'm having a tough time making 50% of my calories protein; those darn carbs just keep adding up. They're really good carbs, but they're still carbs. (As part of my Thanksgiving challenge, I'm redoubling my efforts to eliminate all the white stuff.) And old habits die hard -- I've almost been programmed to eat 3 ounces of protein on, say, a sandwich or a salad. Why? Because it was a good calorie-counting serving. But today I had a little over 4 ounces of chicken on a salad, and the "extra" calories are next to nothing. In fact, I'm struck by how much food one can eat if one is eating clean.

I'll be curious to see how I feel tomorrow, or maybe Friday morning. I did 30 minutes of interval training on my treadmill this morning. I plan to do UBWO tomorrow (I'm using pyramid sets and striving for 10s). Sometimes this is enough to wipe me out. I'm trying to walk that fine line between building strength/endurance, and following Karen's advice to take it easy.

Note to self: Listen to the body. Listen to the body. Listen to the body.

Regards to all,

Robin (aka Airegrrl)
Old 09-24-2003, 03:26 PM   #52  

Hi Everyone, and welcome Kim. You'll love it here!

Adult Happy Meal? ROFLMAO. I think they're about 50 years too late. I saw it advertised on local TV. If it helps just one person make the turn, then I suppose it's a good idea. But I find it amusing. And indeed, Indiana is known for it's obesity. That's one thing I noticed when I moved here - it's like it's accepted, and no big deal.

Frannymae, your then and nows are awesome. What an inspiration!

Mrs. Jim - Sorry to hear of your loss. Seniors are an endearment to me, especially those in their 80's and 90's. Bless his heart he went so peacefully. My mother did too, taking a nap. It is a relief not to see a loved one suffer.

I've been busy most the day catrching up on yardwok and a few landscaping projects. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't hurting as bad as I would have liked to from yesterday's LBWO. I will definitely try increasing my weights on Saturday. Tomorrow is UPPER. Eating remaiins on track. Weight loss seems to be slowing down, so I am going to up my cardio from 45 mins to an hour. And give it Big 10'S!! That will be my challenge for Thanksgiving - to give it my absolute all. And why not, since I'm taking the time to do it anyway.

Have a great evening!

dip
Old 09-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #53  
Ilene the Bean

Lois -- Just had a peek at your pics, WOW you are also doing so well.... Geez all of you poster girls are an inspiration, some day I'll post mine as well.... well maybe.....

Today everything is on track, had a great back workout this morning and foods is soooo perfect I can't believe it myself...

Later all...
Old 09-24-2003, 09:35 PM   #54  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Wink ok I'm back!

Meg: NOT OK – wall sits must be done without your hands being supported at all – if your hands on anywhere on the wall or your legs (including hips) – that’s cheating!! I used to be in denial as well, thinking that I carried my weight well. What a crock….

Robin: nice to meet you. It’s crazy to think that when you eat really clean you CAN eat heaps of food. I told my Mum how much food I eat and she was stunned that I could lose weight on that.

Audrey: please be careful with overtraining. I hope that you have worked out your eye problem – there is nothing worse than irritated skin.

OMG I just realized that I am so NOT into makeup!! Even Jayne complains that I never wear my hair down. You spend so long being fat and hiding your beauty that you forget those kind of things. I need to shop.....

Mel: glad to see that you are still around! I had been checking your journal over the other place to see that you were still alive! Sorry to hear about your shoulder – is it feeling any better now??

Nola: well done on the leathers.

Chelly: I get the snap sound in my shoulders when I do it. I am not sure what it is but it has never given me any trouble at all.

Dip: I missed everyone here too!

Karen: thanks for starting the exercise thread. I will put up my stuff as soon as I get a spare chance. Sorry to hear about your loss. **blessings**

Ilene: did you start it yet?

Lois & Frannie – I had a look at your pictures and you both have really come far!

More about my trip soon.

JC
Old 09-24-2003, 10:07 PM   #55  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Unhappy My trip

It went ok. I took a lot of meals with me so that I wouldn’t cheat at all. I was gone for just over 24 hours and all of my food on the first day was perfect until my friends took me out for dinner to an ‘all you can eat’ restaurant. Oh dear I did my best but surrounded by all the food I caved. I like to think that I caved in a small way though. I ate two full plates of salad and a chicken breast but followed that with 3 slices of bread and then a small bowl of dessert. It wasn’t what I had planned but I can’t beat myself up over it because I used to go free for all on other trips and so this was my first trip away trying to ‘control’ myself. I didn’t bloat at all which was good and slept so soundly that night. I did go for a run in the hilly area and did about 4 kms (2.5 miles) which took me about 30 minutes so I should be happy with that.

The next morning I ate on plan and thought that everything was back on track and then my Mum (who was with me) bought me a donut at the airport at lunchtime. I was a bit taken aback because she knows that I am trying to lose more fat (what’s with family and saboteurs?) but it was sitting there so I ate it. She is trying to lose weight as well and she kept egging me on because she was eating a ginger biscuit. I have no strength around my Mum – why is that? When we got back to Sydney I drew on the strength of my surroundings and stuck to plan again which was great. Mum said to us ‘what’s for dinner’ and we said the usual, so I asked her what she wanted and she said ‘whatever’s going’ to which I replied – well that won’t work because we have all of our meals pre-prepared so ‘nothing’ is going. Then I asked her again what she wanted. She gave a mumble and I thought – oh I don’t care we will work it out later. She ended up having one of hubby’s pastas with him (so much for dieting). I ate my dinner after doing my chest and abs workout. It was a good workout because I was so frustrated with being with my Mum for the past 24 hrs and I didn’t want to workout because I was tired from traveling but Jayne came over for our workout and we made each other do it. I felt 110% better after it.

The funny thing is that Mum was saying how she is a size 6 (size 10 aussie but I will speak American!) over the entire trip down from a size 12. I looked at her and saw how soft she was and though yeah she had lost weight (including muscle) but she isn’t a size 6. Anyway we went shopping briefly on the trip to pick up some sandals for me and she kept taking in size 6’s into the change rooms and coming out saying that she didn’t like the cut etc but never buying anything. She was annoying the crap out of me because she had packed etc clothes of hers from home that were size 12s and she dragged them out and said to me casually ‘oh these are all too big for me now so I thought that they would fit you?’ I said politely no thanks and left it at that but felt very patronized about it.

Anyway when we got back to Sydney she wanted to go for a ride on Ray’s new Ducati but he insisted that she wear jeans which she didn’t have. So I threw her my size 9 jeans (I am a 8-10 at the moment and the 9s are tight but I can do them up) – she put them on and said nothing. I could see that they were fitted on her so they were about her size but as soon as she got back she couldn’t get upstairs fast enough to get the jeans off. Then not long after that her tune suddenly changed and she stopped offering me her ‘big’ clothes and starting asking me about my diet and training etc. This lasted all of last night, this morning and even on the way to the airport. She kept going on and on about it – asking me what she should eat and when etc. I gave her all the details of what I was doing but it felt strange to have the whole thing reverse like that.

I left her at the airport a few hours ago and have been thinking about the whole situation. I don’t want to have any animosity towards my Mum but why did she have to say those types of things in the way she did?? I have dropped from a size 18 to 10 so far but she was treating me like I was a size 18 still and had had no success at all. Why are we so sensitive around our family? How much do I have to ‘lose’ before she will acknowledge that I have ‘done enough?’ The other thing she said that annoyed me was that whenever I refused something (food wise) she would say ‘don’t stress – you will lose the rest of your weight in time.’ I found this JUST as patronizing as the other comments……

Anyway thanks for listening to me guys… I think that I just needed to ‘vent’ my frustrations.

JC
Old 09-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #56  

JC, I don't mean to be harsh on your mother and I'm really just guessing, but it seems as though she's been so used to- and has enjoyed- being smaller than her daughter, and she's having trouble coming to accept your fantastic weight/fat loss. But by the way she was pressing you for details all the way, it sounds as though she's gradually starting to respect the new you and your way of life. You've certainly showed her! Take the ball and run!

I did a fair bit of cardio today. It's amazing how listening to music you like makes it so much less tortuous. Also sweated heaps and was very, very glad to shower after that.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:10 AM   #57  
Meg

Good morning! I peered at my clock without my glasses on and thought it was an hour later than it was and so dragged myself out of bed early. But I have enough to do to keep busy today. And today is Leg Day and I’ll do wall sits with my hands on my head, JC! And track lunges and squats and all my favs. I’m looking forward to not walking tomorrow!

Back to the whole net carbs issue — I guess this comes up a lot with low-carbing? I was grocery shopping yesterday and picked up some of the low-carb products — like bread and pasta — that I would have assumed had loads of carbs. And they had these extremely confusing labels about “net impact carbs” and so on with all kind of low-carb claims. But when I looked at the calories and did a little math (carb grams x 4), I saw that the carb CALORIES all count even if the package claims that only a small percent affects your blood sugar level. Since I’m looking at how the carbs affect my butt, not my blood sugar level, I put them all back. (PS -- I know it's not that simple, but for now, I'm just counting calories).

Karen — thanks for setting up the Favorite Exercises sticky. I hope it gets lots of posts!

Lois — I enjoyed reading about you in the Introductions thread and hope everyone jumps over there to read about you and Franny, Robin, and Kim. And welcome to Suzanne also! Checked out your photos — big changes already and the smile on your face says it all!

To answer your question, I didn’t do BFL but the way I ate and worked out was very similar (though I counted calories and grams of carbs, fat, and protein and tracked them all in Fitday). I started lurking in this forum way back when it was predominantly a BFL group because it was the closest thing that I could find to what I was doing. It sounds like you’re moving on to your next step of focusing on the nutrition and I think you’ll see some big progress now. Sadly, it seems like we can undo all the hours of good work that we put in the gym with our eating! I can be perfect for 6.75 days and spend one hour doing some unplanned eating and — poof! — a week’s worth of progress is wiped out. No fair! (but what can you do?) Congratulations on all your progress so far — you have made some positive and (I’m sure) permanent changes in your life. BTW, you are one strong chickie — do you realize that you could bench press ME???

Ilene — I took a look at your Fitday and by golly, you did have a perfect day! And it makes the next one easier and so on … You know, you’re totally sweet with all your talk about me writing a book but I’m embarrassed — and like I said before, no one would buy it! The last thing I’d ever want to do is make a buck off the whole weight-loss thing — it seems like everywhere we turn, someone is trying to make $$$ off our fat. Seriously, all I want to do is to let people realize that it is possible to change your life —to beat the fat monster —regardless of how old you are, how long you’ve been overweight, how much you have to lose, whether you’re hypothyroid etc. If you BELIEVE that you can do it — if you can picture it in your mind — you’re half-way there. And this group will support anyone the rest of the way! It’s a formula that can’t fail, as far as I’m concerned: clean nutrition, weights, cardio, group support. Live it one day at a day and you’ll get there.

The funny thing is — when I got “there” (what I thought was my goal), I realized that it was only another step in the journey. Now I never want the journey to end because I’m having so much fun seeing what’s around each corner!

Darn it! Got to get DS up for school! More later!

Meg
Old 09-25-2003, 07:30 AM   #58  

JC - I had a similar problem with my mother, but all my life. Even when I was a size 16, she wanted to give me her hand-me-down size 22's (because they were too small for her.) But she was that way with everything I ever accomplished, and unfortunately never changed, no matter how I improved my life as I matured. I'm hoping yours has indeed "made the turn." Mine did a bad number on my head.

(what’s with family and saboteurs?) LOL. I had a good one yesterday from DH. He has been at a seminar this week that lunch was catered. Each day I asked him what he had and how much. He admitted he ate things he should have passed on and alot of it. Last night he comes home with tales of fettucini alfredo, while I just sat there and smiled. I knew he would see a weight gain, since he weighs every morning too. But the killer was when he got up from the table, he went to his briefcase and whipped out a King-Size Milky Way and put it in front of me. I jumped up and walked away, telling him to take it with him. I didn't desire it, but was angry that just because he messed up, he wanted me to join him. My satisfaction came this morning when he weighed. He had broken 199 last week and was down to 198 Monday morning. This morning he was 202. I was nice and polite. Just said I hoped he had learned a lesson that if we go back to the old way of eating, what will happen. Also said if I had broken 199 and gained, that it would break my heart. The personal satisfaction came knowing the Milky Way was some where here in the house, and I didn't cave.

Lots to do today so I'll check in later! Have a safe and healthy day!

dip
Old 09-25-2003, 12:22 PM   #59  
Meg

I’m finally back — and HUNGRY — so this is my distraction!

Speaking of hungry reminds of Mel and her frozen peas — I just can’t eat those anymore after the years of putting them on injured kid body parts and post-surgical swelling. I’ve got them in my freezer but my stomach turns when I think of them as food!

On the topic of injuries, I hope your shoulder is feeling better. I pulled a good one in the gym yesterday myself — bashed my hand into my partner’s dumbbell and ow! it’s all black and blue and swollen. Good thing it’s leg day!

Frannie — thanks for posting your “then and now” photos (and I love the name). There’s about half of you gone now! Great progress! And you’re really getting a pretty waistline!

JC — total sympathy on the family stuff. I’ve come to the conclusion that doing something dramatic like losing weight completely upsets the family dynamic and provokes all kind of weird reactions, like with your mom and the food and the clothes. I’m sure that she’s happy that you've lost weight and have gotten in such great shape but at the same time it’s — different — and it probably makes her uncomfortable. I’ve sure seen this in my family, where I’ve gone from being the fat sister to the fit sister. No one knows how to react or even what to call me any more, since my family nickname has always been “Mobes”, short for (c’mon, you can guess it … ) Mobey Dick.

Chelly — I had that knee noise too — my doctor told me it’s called ”crepidation” (as in “decrepit”!). It’s gone away as I lost weight. As a matter of fact, all my knee, ankle, and foot problems are GONE! I read somewhere that every excess pound that we carry exerts four pounds on our legs and feet, so no wonder mine hurt! Congratulations on the five pounds!

Laural — I can’t do cardio without loud, mindless music either! Give me something with a great beat, like 80s headbanger music …

Dip — WTG on resisting the candy! Is tomorrow your weigh-in day? 199 is getting closer and closer for you … be sure to post this week’s results.

Hi to all else and welcome to everyone new — we’re growing every day — way cool! Woo hoo — time to eat!

Meg
Old 09-25-2003, 01:12 PM   #60  

Default hi guys

ive SO missed reading as often as I would like as Im away at a field course on ecology. we go home tomorrow and its back to the gym for me!

I was a lazy bum this week and didnt do any exercise. I could blame it on no equiptment but lets be honest here. I could have done situps etc. I didnt. We did spend a couple hours monday/teusday crawling around in the woods tho so I will count that as some gentle cardio.

As for food Ive been doing pretty good, eating whats available with a protien drink, but Ive only been having 3 meals a day, and I have been SO hungry. the only other options here are junk, candy, and pop so I would rather forego than poison myself with sugar.

JC... *HUGS* I think a lot of us can sypathise and know how it feels to be in that kind of situation. My mom is a bit like that as well, and it really, really hurts doesnt it? I think that Meg and Laurel really pegged it on the head, so I dont think I need to expand on their comments other than to say that we're proud of you and look up to you! Even if its not the same, at least its something heh

dip, congrats on resisting the milky way! Hope you hubby learned his lesson... you're an inspiration!

I mentioned to a few ppl here that I train quite a bit and they didnt look like they believed it for a minute... guess I better lose this fat and show em eh? hehe I think even tho Ive been out of the gym this week I may have lost some fat anyways. I can see progress (from the last month) in my shoulders and my back when I flex, and my gut is getting smaller.

Tomorrow will be my "freeday light" as Im going to a beer and whiskey festival here in Stockholm. its a yearly event and we go as a family (me, my SO, his brother (and his SO), and his mom) its a riot! I console myself with that its one of the very few times I actually drink alcohol, and even then its mostly just small tastes. Then sat,sunday its back in the gym and giving 100%

Meg, I think that if anyone EVER called me Mobey Dick I would be mortified. My family's nickname for me is "Little Raincloud" (its my indian name lol) because when I was younger I was very pessimistic and didnt smile much lol.

well, back to work!

Tidey
Closed Thread