Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:11 PM   #1  

Default Low carb/ high carb days

I am hearing about success losing fat by switching between low carb and high carb days. I have tried to find out more detailed info but cant seem to. I read some bodybuilding books, looked on line and cant find a specific plan that talks about this kind of losing in detail. I have heard about the fab and famous PamB and her doing this, she is however out of my budget at this time, do you all know what she does?

I want to do this right, I have alot of butt to lose and want to get it right the first time out So, any advice, info, links?????

Thanks
Old 09-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #2  
Mel

Hi Babysteps-
Are you new at the weightlifting and bodybuilding type diets? If you are, I'd suggest doing a round of either Body for Life or BodyRX before you start tweaking without knowing yet how your body reacts. You might find that your body reacts quite well to the programs as written if this is the beginning of your journey. Usually, it's not until people reach either weightloss or mass building plateaus that they need to start tweaking. And if you have a lot of weight to lose, you probably won't reach that point until you've done at least 1 or 2 challenges. Just cleaning up your eating (good carbs, lean protein sources, no added sugar) and lifting to failure should take you a long way.

That said, I have had more success keeping my macronutrient ratios pretty much the same each day (50P, 20-25C, 25-30F), and zigzagging my calories.

Pam's program is very expensive for information that is available in many places for free or far less $$, and she has very few LONG TERM success stories.

Try looking at abcbodybuilding.com for their 12 or 13 week fat burning plans if you want some other ideas.

mel
Old 09-28-2003, 04:22 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply Mel. I do have the B4L as well as the BRx book. Do you prefer one over the other? I just thought if there was any other little thing I should try first out to give me a edge I wanted to ask I need all the help I can get.

I know Pams plan is just too much money for me. I am curious what it is though. I have heard there are low carb days/higher carb days. Thats about all I know, that and more cardio.

I just joined the gym and will start something Tuesday I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:46 PM   #4  

You mentioned you have both books - have you tried either plan yet? For someone starting out, I'd suggest BFL, for the fact that it's much simpler to follow, in my opinion. I'd do it for 12 weeks as the book recommends, after which point you may decide to tweak the program - but definetely don't start tweaking before you've seen what the program as written can do for you. Feel free to join us in the weekly thread if you have questions as you move through the program - most of the people in the weekly thread have done BFL.

Colleen
Old 09-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #5  

Mel, Thanks for the abc link, there is much info there.

coleen, Since I am new at this I thought I would try and benifit from thoes who have already learned a few things from doing the plan listed in the books, or even a whole different plan.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:22 PM   #6  

I agree with Colleen that the best program for a beginner is BFL.

Why?

-Its food list is simple and easy to use. You can expand on it a bit using common sense, but there are enough choices to keep most people happy.

-Six small meals measuring only with your palm and fist works for anyone. No tracking, no weighing, etc.

-Free Day! Sticking to healthy eating 6 days a week as long as you know you have a free day to indulge your cravings is workable for people...almost nobody can jump right into a strict 24/7 program and succeed.

That said....I doubt that anyone here will tell you that there is *one* perfect program. Everyone is different and nothing works for everyone. We can tell you the pros and cons of programs but until you do the program yourself you really won't know how it will work for you.

Example: BodyRX is more food than most people think they *should* eat, but tiny little me had fantastic results with it. Other people cannot stand the measuring that goes along with it, not to mention 6 weeks of really HIGH fiber.

BFL will help you figure out what *does* work, and sticking to it for 12 weeks will help tremendously should you ever decide on a more regimented program.

Laura

Last edited by semmens; 09-28-2003 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I agree with the others - you don't go to University before you go to high school. You simply must do at least one full BFL or BodyRx challenge before you move on to advanced programs - it's a matter of changing your habits.

If you are looking for a short cut there are none.

JC
Closed Thread