Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #256  
The Future is Bright!

After reading the reviews on this site and doing a little more research, I'm ordering New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women.

In the past I have genuinely enjoyed weight lifting in a way I have never enjoyed running (and I hate yoga), so I'm looking forward to doing it on a regular basis
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 204/185/145

I am so excited to find this on here! today I start NROLFW this is my 3rd time on this program and love it! I must admit the 1st cycle is always the hardest for me. I think because its longer. But I am going to pump myself up and kick booty
mindchange4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #258  

S/C/G: 285/274.0/150.0

Height: 5'3

Well, I found this book at my library, so I'm going to read it and then decide if I'm going to go with it. I've started doing some weight lifting already. Right now I'm doing the 31 day bootcamp that I got from Daily Burn. I'm probably going to finish that plan then start NROWL once that is finished up. I fear the weight loss stall that everyone is talking about. I'm not even down 5 pounds yet, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue for me. I know you're supposed to measure la di dah di dah but I have 97 pounds to go before I get a baby!! so, weight loss is pretty important for me right now. We will see how it goes, even if I don't lose weight, the plan will be good for getting rid of all that extra skin :O
trailerprincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #259  

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

I just started this morning Seemed pretty great, but I could feel that my abs were sore straight away after those jackknives, haha - definitely a good sore though.

Also, I think that protein powder is an acquired taste - haha... It was too terrible, but it's the aftertaste that really gets me. Any of you ladies who've been doing the program for a while have any recommendations for a great tasting protein powder? Or any neat ways to drink it after a workout?
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #260  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smad11 View Post
Also, I think that protein powder is an acquired taste - haha... It was too terrible, but it's the aftertaste that really gets me. Any of you ladies who've been doing the program for a while have any recommendations for a great tasting protein powder? Or any neat ways to drink it after a workout?
Blech. I tried for a while to like protein powders, but I eventually developed such an aversion that I dreaded my post-workout protein powder + Greek yogurt (which is what I found the most palatable option) through my entire workout. I decided it was too weird to spend an hour sweating and thinking, "Oh god, after this I have to eat my snack ..." So I gave up on protein powder. I make sure to get enough protein from real food, & that's that.

My two cents. Protein powders certainly are convenient, if you can stomach them.

Last edited by sumire; 03-26-2012 at 04:48 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #261  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

Height: 5'4"

Has anyone tried the protien bars, it doesnt have to be a shake or powder. Sometimes I drink a shake but I think I am getting burned out on them so I got some bars, although the guy at gnc told me that the bars take longer to get in the system whereas powder gets in right away. I went to vitamin shop last week and got a tube called proburn45, that wasn't bad at all. The only downside is, they are expensive so I will prob only do that every once in a while.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #262  

A wonderful protein shake tip I do is......use vanilla almond milk or coconut milk. I use Silk brand. They both have more calcium and less calories! I use only 1 Scoop of protein powder with 8 oz of Almond or coconut milk. The almond milk is great on cereal too. My kids prefer it over milk.

I can't stand protein bars. they always leave a funny taste in my mouth. I make my own bars for my husband and myself. I also make little protein ball when I want a snack. I will post the recipe in the morning!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #263  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

I'm interested in picking up this book, but can anyone tell me - does it involve gym equipment or can I do this at home?
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #264  

S/C/G: 233/201.8/150

mindchange4me, I mix mine with almond milk as well.
stlrsgrl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #265  

Height: 5'6

@summerlove: Yes, you can do this program at home. I did and I'm almost done with the program.

RE: protein shakes. I gave up on them a few months ago due to the cost. Now I drink 12 oz. of milk before and after my workouts and haven't had a problem.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #266  

Here are the recipes I use

there is also a good peanut butter snack bar recipe in the NROLFW book too

Homemade Protein Bar Recipe

What you need

250 g/ 1 cup of natural peanut butter or alternative nut butter
340 g /1 cup of honey
270g / 3 cups of oatmeal
300g/ 2 cups of (chocolate flavoured) whey protein (optional)
sprinkling of sesame seeds or flax seed-
choc chips, raisins,dried cranberries or goji berries or whatever you have on hand
5 drops of vanilla extract

What to do

Combine the honey and peanut butter in a large non-stick saucepan over a very low heat until it’s runny. Mix in the oatmeal and optional protein powder followed by a sprinkling of whatever takes your fancy from the suggestions above. Don’t forget to add the vanilla extract. Stir together well and then press into a 9 x 9 ” tin. Allow the compressed mixture to cool before cutting it into 16 equal bars. At home, we wrap each bar in greaseproof paper and place them in a glass

Healthy energy bars
Ingredients:

1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup almond or sesame seed meal
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil (check your local health food store)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of raw honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries or blueberries

Method:

On a cookie sheet, toast nuts and shredded coconut until golden brown (you may need to shake the tray once or twice to make sure they cook evenly).
Once toasted, pour mixture into a food processor and pulse until nuts are chopped and the mixture becomes coarsely ground.
In a mixing bowl, melt coconut oil and almond butter (about 20 seconds). Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.
Add vanilla extract, honey and sea salt. Mix thoroughly.
Fold in nut mixture and almond (or sesame seed) meal until mixed thoroughly.
Fold in blueberries/cranberries.
Press mixture into an 8 by 4 loaf pan.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
Cut “loaf” width wise. Should make 6 good-sized bars.
Enjoy! (or, if you don’t plan to eat immediately, you can store the bars in the refrigerator, covered loosely with a paper towel and plastic wrap.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #267  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Starting Stage 4 this weekend.

This program is really changing my body shape in a good way!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #268  

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

Thanks mindchange4me, I'll have to give those a try. I'll also have to look for almond milk at the grocery store... do they keep it with the regular milk?

I'm so sore today after my lunges yesterday... feel like I'm shuffling along like a granny
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #269  

S/C/G: 170/131/122

Started the program last night. Its short and to the point!

Protein shakes - I lost 35lbs on the Ideal Protein program. Now I can drink almost any brand and it doesn't bother me. I like mixing the flavors together and as others have suggested, the almond milk helps alot!
SarianeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #270  

Height: 5'6

Well, I've got 8 more workouts left and I'm D-O-N-E with the entire program!!!! Cannot believe it!! I've been at this this for seven whole months and my body has completely changed. My hubby told me this morning that I look better today than the day we got married 15 years ago. I'm just so happy...
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote