Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #91  
Mel

Jivingandthriving (aka Artmaker!) Welcome back!!! I think you were just finishing up your certification when you were last here; Congratulations!

Cheryl- You are definitely not the only one who feels that way. I love both functional training and bodybuilding. The trick is to combine it without overtraining.

Lydia- I tried what I think those peter pan's were. I found the lateral movement difficult and ended up doing jump squats with a havy cable, then bosu jump squats with a heavy cable. Also tried leap laterally between two bosus with the cable. FUN! I'l try and progress it.

I'm off to NY to meet clients. Isn't this Saturday?????

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #92  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, you must be very good entertainment for the trainers at that gym.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one. With the alternate days full body workouts at crossfit, I'm not sure how to work any regular lifting in, without overdoing it. Maybe I'll have the oly lift form down well enough after this month that I can just do my own thing, then I can work in a little more variety.

Gotta get the dogs up so I can get on the road. I'll check in later to give Lydia the crossfit report.

JAT, welcome back!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #93  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Time for the Crossfit Report...as always, it's a novel, so feel free to skip!

Class #6/Saturday

Pre-Warmup (just me): walked 400 meters..didn't get there early enough to do more than that and a few squats.

Warm-up:
- Row 500 meters (my legs were still jelly from skating last night, so this was harder than normal!)
- (Shoulder) Press/Push Press/Push Jerk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLcntfkyXbM
While D (the other lady in class) got caught up on how to do the Push Jerk, I followed along with the pvc. Then I did 5 reps each of Press/Push Press/Push Jerk with the 45 lb barbell, and D used the 15 lb bar, since it was her first time. I tend not to put enough jump into the PJ. Our trainer knew that with the heavier bar I'd HAVE to jump by the time I got to the Jerks, so this helped me do them right. D had some trouble coordinating the jerks (I did too, my first time, but I had a chance to work that out at home, so she did really well for her first time.) While D was getting help with that, I did another round just to be doing something.
- 10 shoulder dislocations with the pvc, to loosen the shoulders and also to find our grip for the overhead squat (OHS).

New Skills:
1) Overhead Squat (aka OHS) with pvc.
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...tingSafely.wmv
Luckily, I've been practicing this at home with a stick, so I didn't have a problem. I have had trouble trying to add weight to this move, though, so I am looking forward to next class...hopefully we'll get to add a little weight and I can get help on why I'm getting stuck partway through the squat. We did ten of these with the stick...torture for D, and I could totally relate! These suckers are killer when you first are trying to learn them!
2) Wall Ball! Fun, yet evil!
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...t_Wallball.wmv
There is a target 10 ft up on the wall. You need 2 medicine balls for this and a target on the wall (could just be a piece of masking tape, for example). One medicine ball goes behind your feet, that is for the squat portion, to make sure you're getting a full squat every time. The second ball is to hold in your hands, in front of your face, hands underneath the ball, like you're going to shoot a basket with it...this is the ball you throw at the target on the wall. We used an 8 lb ball for throwing today. I asked for a nerf ball, but L wasn't going for it. The first part of this move is to hold the 8 lb ball in front of your face, squat to the ball on the floor, come up out of the squat with as much power as you can, you can even jump out of it if you need to, using that momentum plus your arms to throw the 8 lb ball at the target on the wall. If that's too easy, you can use a heavier ball, or if it's too hard, or you don't have a medicine ball, you can use a basketball or whatever you have available...it's still a good workout. Squat, throw, hit the target, catch the ball, that's one rep. I'll see if I can find a video later and insert it here.
3) Ab Mat sit-ups.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZTWGsMpcRM
These didn't seem evil at first, but after a couple rounds in the workout, they were hard! An AbMat is a little foam pad the fits the lumbar curve of your spine. You sit right in front of it, put your feet together like you're doing a butterfly stretch (remember that from gym class? lol)...this takes the hip flexors out of commission on the sit-up, so it's all abs. Hands clasp together, straight arms, straight out in front of the chest, lay back (now arms are pointing straight at the ceiling), sit up, arms pointing past the feet at the far wall, or else you can touch your hands to your feet. This was a bit embarrassing to do, but since it's a crossfit gym and everybody had done these, we didn't get any funny looks.

The WOD (workout of the day):
8 minutes of as many rounds as possible, of:
5 wall ball
10 abmat sit-ups

I completed 5 rounds, and made it all the way to 8 sit-ups in the allotted time.

We recorded our workout and number of rounds completed in our notebooks.

Stretching:
The usual leg stretching bit at the end. We chatted, and D admitted to feeling like she had "no strength", so I told her about when I started out last year, how I couldn't even squat down all the way or do 10 squats in a row, and that I thought she was doing better than I did when I started out, which is true!

Pull-ups practice:
After class, I stayed a few more minutes to work on the kipping swing. I am starting to get some upward momentum and get a feel for when to do the pull. Now I just need to keep practicing and get the kip figured out. My grip and shoulders didn't hurt too bad today!

L invited me to stay for their normal workout, but thankfully I had some delicate surgery I needed to perform, and tea with the Queen, so I was unable to stay for that torture session!

I'll come back later and insert links to videos, so some of this will be easier to understand if you've not seen these moves before and want to try this at home! Edit: done. I tried to find you tube vids where I could, in case some don't have windows media player.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-14-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #94  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: Great post and I loved the videos. I'll try the wallball and the situps tomorrow. Usually, I take Sunday off but I want to make up for today's missed session. I'll try the 8lb ball and see what that does for me. I think I will also use a bosu instead of another ball. Just convenience. Thanks for the tips!

How are your blisters doing with the pullups? Did wrapping them help you this afternoon?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #95  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, the blister was only a blister for probably a minute...the skin was gone from it by the time I figured out I had a "blister" lol, so it was just a raw spot. I've been putting a bandaid over it, just so I don't have to rip athletic tape off that spot, lol, then taping over that. It is working great, thanks! I've had no other problems with blisters, probably because I had already been lifting and getting calluses from DBs and barbells. My hands felt a lot better today, not so tender or in pain as the first few days, so hanging from the bar was much easier! Also, my shoulders seem to be loosening up a bit, or something, since it doesn't feel like such an awkward (why does that look wrong?) or painful position. There's hope for a pull-up yet!

Dixie, I totally missed your post before, sorry! Hope you had fun with the St Pat's 5K. I'd love to see pics of your costume!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #96  
Kallos Sthenos

Dixied: I totally missed your post till Cheryl said something. OMG. You must have looked adorable. Pics! Please. Aside from the costume, how did you do and was it fun?

I passed a ST. Pat 5k on my way through Dublin, Ohio yesterday morning. (En route to my grandmothers) No flashy costumes. Just the ordinary sweats, t-shirts and thermal running gear on these runners.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #97  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Okay, I just had to post the link to this, cuz it's cute. This is my trainer's 3 yr old, Sam, showing off his shoulder press, taking half his bodyweight overhead. I'm not sure I could do that myself. He's gonna be the buffness! (I wouldn't normally use a kid's name online, but they're saying it on the video)

http://vimeo.com/3564191?pg=embed&sec=3564191

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-15-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #98  
Kallos Sthenos

Cheryl: That was adorable! I loved the little plates they had on that bar!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #99  
Workin' It

Dixie - how was the 5k?

Cheryl - too cute video!

Mel - hope you had today off since you had to work on Saturday! I'm in the restaurant biz, so weekends have no meaning for me much anymore... I'm on call each and every one of them these days...

Worked out with the Weider today and did some kickboxing. The last three days turned out to be no exercise days - just didn't make the time with everything going on with the wedding Saturday... Should have planned a little better... At least I got back on the ball today!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Question for everyone: why do photos of our bodies in training look better in shadows? I'll catch glimpses of my abs or shoulders when I pass a mirror in a unlit room or bathroom and I'll be like, mannn, that looks good! Turn on the lite and poof! Not there anymore. Turn the light off - looks good again. I know it's the shadow that emphasizes the indentations. I guess the same as when in photo shoots they try to put bronzer or darker powder to create the illusion of abs or delts. I just wondered what it is. Needless to say, photos taken with no light come out bleary or out of focus. I just wish the dents were visible in bright light. WHY WHY WHY is this a dark shadows only event???

LBWO again today. I can actually walk normally today and started getting that cramping achiness - different from stiffness - that told me it was probably time to work it again. Felt better afterwards. so I read the achiness right this time. HOping not to have the onset of stiffness again tomorrow. But I will crank up my upbwo tomorrow. Saturday's really had no impact on me, so I know I can go higher. You all know how much I like to be reminded all day long of how hard I"m working.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #101  
Mel

Fran- I have the same experience. My ans and sholders always look better in dim light....probably my face too, but I just don't look at that anymore!

I did get a "day off" yesterday- laudnry, groceries, cooking

Cardio done, weights at lunch time, then a chiro appt after work.

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #102  
Kallos Sthenos

Good Morning.

Just checking in. Cardio and core done. Did a full body yesterday and decided that to back off a little today. I also have a field trip this morning with DS1. We are doing JA Biztown. Have any of you done this? It sounds like a lot of fun. It's a warehouse set up like a small town. I'm in charge of the kids running City Hall. That will be a hoot. My son is the CFO of the television station. He's totally jazzed.

Did some nice pullup/pushup sets yesterday and really feeling it in my lats this morning. I completely forgot to try the wallball Cheryl posted. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Off to shower. I've got a city to run today. (Pat, I get to pretend to be you today. except my coworkers are 10 years old)
Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #103  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I finished the 5K in 36:19, my personal best for an "official" 5K, so I was happy. My pictures are here: http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s144/dyan_q/

There aren't many becuase I decided to pop a migraine. But if you want an idea of how many people (9441) there are some great photos on pnj.com: http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gal...3140801&Ref=PH

I'm training DH tonight for his first BFL session, so prayers for patience would be appreciated.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Wow, good for you Dee! Who knew there was such a big Irish presence in Pns? So all the military - I know it's a NAS, you also have Eglin; where'd the Marines come from? I guess they train with the Navy in pns?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #105  
Kallos Sthenos

Dixied: Great job on your 5K run! How fun. Love the shamrock on your arm. The perfect accessory with your tiara. Good luck training DH.

Fran: By the way, I look much better in candlelight too. (okay, in the dark )