Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #226  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: I think you are going to be fine lifting at home. You acquired some great skills and had help correcting your form. These are things you can take with you and build further upon in the coming months. Here's to nothing breaking in your home or mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
I'd be lying if I said I don't care about hypertrophy. After being fat for so many years, I'd like to be the buff chick with the tiny waist who can wear sleeveless shirts in summer and pick up heavy (er...stuff)!
True for me too.

Pat: Have a great trip!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #227  
Working My Way Back Down

Another small eruption, more cancelled flights, but only between noon and 6ish. I've enjoyed my day off - or parts of it anyway. The taxes I didn't enjoy - the time I spent reading I did. Amused the cats by doing a DVD. Did some laundry, yada yada. Back to work tomorrow, and home to pack the final stuff (for the 3rd time!)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #228  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Pat, good luck with the trip. Hope the volcano will give you a break here soon!

Lydia, thanks for the vote of confidence!

I had a nice long run last night, then today decided to see what was up on the crossfit mainsite for a WOD. Today it was "Nicole" which is 20 mins of work, as many rounds as possible of Run 400 meters, max pull-ups. Since I just did the long run, I subbed rowing, and since I can't do a real pull-up yet, I used the assisted pull-up machine at the Y (they don't have bands or pull-up bars you can swing on without killing people, unfortunately). I went this evening so my boy could take advantage of the open swim time, while I worked out. Here's what I did:

The warm-up:
Run 400 meters
Row 200 meters (got a rower set up just for me...these don't get used much so it was easy)
A little stretching and ROM movements to get the kinks out.

2 rounds of:
10 air squats (bodyweight squats)
10 push-ups (5 on toes, rest on knees, each round, slow but steady improvement!)
10 dips (80 lb assist)
10 hip extensions

A few assisted pull-ups to figure out which weight assist to use.
Then some more stretching.

The workout (scaled for me):
"Rowing Nicole"
AMRAP in 20 mins:
Row 400 meters
Max Assisted Pull-ups (106# assist...shoulder still tweaking)

Round 1: 16 pull-ups
Round 2: 14 pull-ups
Round 3: 12 pull-ups
Round 4: 13 pull-ups
+329 meters rowing before I ran out of time

The cooldown:
Did the CF Cooldown.
Did some stretching once I was able to sit upright.
Got in 15 mins of therapeutic hot tubbing before open swim closed.

The verdict:
Killer workout! The rowing left my legs jellified and shaking so bad, I could hardly do the assisted pull-ups at all (since it's one where you stand on the lever with your feet), so those were a real challenge. Gripping the bar was difficult due to sweat and no chalk allowed in the Cybex room (lots of 1 arm grip, swipe the other hand on the t-shirt, switch hands, continue pull-ups..). The shoulder injury was a little pissed, but I was careful of ROM and am sure I wasn't injuring it further, it just hurt, but not in a serious way.

The Peanut Gallery:
I had an audience for this one. I've never really gone all out at the Y before, but tonight I was danged if I was letting them get in the way of me getting a real workout in. Had about a dozen guys from the weight room and another 3 or 4 from the Cybex room just standing around watching me go after the first 2 rounds. I was their entertainment for the evening, I guess!

The hot tub was a nice treat. Only thing the Y has going over the CF gym, lol! Anyway, great workout. If you're still in the assisted pull-up phase, give this one a try! (scaled down or up as needed, of course!)

Tomorrow morning (okay later this morning, cuz I'm up way past my bedtime), there's a group class in the weight room, where they do some kind of crazy functional fitness challenge each Tues/Thurs morning. If I can drag myself out of bed in time, I'm thinking of checking that out. The mainsite WOD tomorrow is GHD sit-ups and back extensions, 5 sets of 30. I might just give that a try, too, and see how far I get, rather than scaling it. I've been doing these a longish time, so I'm curious if I can do the full workout.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-31-2009 at 05:06 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #229  
Mel

still here- just crazy crazy!
Alena- You are so pretty! I think I also expected "rounder and redder"

I' girding for a weeklong visit from family involving a birthday party for my mother. I've done no planning and little cleaning, so that will be tonight's fun

Cardio done, legs at lunch

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #230  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Enjoy the birthday party cleaning. We have an awesome day on tap today and although my basement is a nightmare, I'm outdoors all day today. Maybe drag my bike out of the basement.

Cheryl: It sounds like you had a fantastic workout! Do not worry about being the evenings entertainment at the Y. I'm sure you were not entertainment so much as MOTIVATION!

Pat: I really hope you get to take your trip. Packing three times

Quick one hour workout this morning. Mostly functional, all done on the ball and a little yoga stretching for my back.

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee;
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #231  
Working My Way Back Down

THe volcano has been quiet for 24 hours again. All flights after 7 pm left on time last night. Of course my flight is at 2:30 am Wed, so I'm not taking anything for granted yet (though I will check in online when I get to work ) If I get out, there's a good chance DH will get in - though he's not scheduled to land until 11 pm Wed. But enough of my vacation woes.

Cheryl - great workout! I was tired reading it.

Lydia - warm enough to bike? I'm jealous. I can't even get to the shed where my bike is stored. This summer the upgrade to the road by our house should get finished. It includes a bike trail, and will allow me to ride my bike to work safely. I mean, I could now, but it's an arterial road with minimal shoulders and traffic at 60 mph - too scary for me! I only live 3.5 miles from work, so riding my bike is a no-brainer. DH rides into town a lot, but not at high traffic times.

Okay, the shower is calling. My co-workers will appreciate me more.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 AM   #232  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone! I did a lot of ball work yesterday afternoon - once I crossed that first prone jackkinfe hurdle they have gotten easier. Well, I use easier to mean I don't fall on my face anymore - they are still hard as heck, I just don't end with a headache! I also tried the four point balance on the ball and managed to stay up for ten seconds on one of the tries.. the others were in the five second range... I'm discovering I love the ball...

Cheryl - That sounds like a great workout! And hopefully you were motivation to some of the boys watching! Sounds like you were on it!

Mel - enjoy the family visit!

Lydia - I just read your post about your breakfast out - wow, 400 calories for a pancake... I wouldn't have guessed that. It does remind me that you have to look things up when you can so you go in prepared!

Pat - keeping my fingers crossed that you get out for your trip! I just can't find the smilie that shows it...

Nelie - I've found that it is harder to run as the temperature warms up as well, I've had to start carrying a bottle of water. I need a belt or something, carrying it just isn't working well...

Alena - hope you feel better today so you can really enjoy your Core & More and Pilates classes today! I remember that they made you pretty sore on their own last week!

Everyone have a good day!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #233  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon, the smilie is crossed (surrounded by colons of course).
Old 03-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #234  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Cheryl, did it ever ocur to you that the guys were staring because you look so hot? If not, give it some serious thought. I MEAN IT!
What's AMRAP though? (sorry if I keep asking some if these questions repeatedly - hopefully it will stick one day. I figured that CF most likely meant crossfit. LOL)
Your workouts are enough for two people!

Nelie, thanks for the recommendation re the kettlebell but I am in Canada so I don;t ordering a 15 or 20 lb kettlebell online would be wise ($$-wise re delivery). I will check out local fitness depots when I get to it.

Lydia, enjoy the lovely day out today. I was out at lunch time (to see a doctor at a Sports Medicine Centre - I will be getting custom orthotics, massage and physio for the footsie - can't wait - and the best news is my health insurance (through work) should swallow most of the expenses.

When I was leaving the gym this morning, I overhead 2 ladies that were getting into a car parked next to mine - it was 7:15 am and the sun was showing up - one of the ladies said "Maybe it will turn out to be a nice day after all", and I thought "the day started with the gym, it already IS a nice day, no matter what will folllow". I love them endorphins!!
The Core n More class was full of ladies today, it may have changed somewhat (we are on a new schedule - I will have to ask her) and it was more core than functional training. I would have preferred the functional training - it was tough. I will go back tonight for a Pilates class, to tickle my abs some more.

Mel, thanks, but you are too funny. You and midwife!
Happy Birthday to your Mom - enjoy some guilt-free cake.

Pat, I do hope you will depart this time. New England at this of the year must be beautiful. They are usually little ahead of us (i.e. of us here in s-w Ontario) - at the least the handful people I am in contact with through one of my greyhound mailing lists - they are around Manchester, NH.

Shannon and everybody else - hi!

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

AMRAP = as many rounds as possible
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #236  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks Depalma. One day, I will know all Cheryl's abbreviations.

Pilates done, 2 sheets of Persian meatballs done, tomorrow's food packed for 'grab and go'. I am falling in bed.
Good night to you all
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #237  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey peeps.

Alena, sorry, I try not to do talk in code any more, but I miss one here and there. Depalma took care of it for me, though. (thanks, D!) It means keep repeating the rounds until your time runs out. Next time you do the same workout, you can see if you're getting faster (ie, getting more rounds done in the same amount of time). LOL about looking "hot". I'm not all that. I'm pretty sure they just thought I was mental and were waiting to see what would happen.

My trainer from the CF class emailed me back today, said I'm not allowed to take a month off and ruin all her good training. She called me ten kinds of chicken if I didn't show up tomorrow for the morning workout, that I should just start paying in May as planned, but she wants me to show up in the meantime and to stop worrying about the money for April. That's a little embarrassing, to tell the truth, but it's also really nice of her, and I couldn't think of a good way to turn her down, so I'm going to go in tomorrow morning. The people at that CF gym are very cool!

Tonight I had planned to do the sit-ups/back extensions workout from the main site, but since I have to do a workout at the crack of OMG tomorrow, I just did some practice drills for the olympic lifts, and did laundry instead, because I didn't have any clean workout clothes. So, early to bed for me, and off to do my first real WOD (workout of the day) at the CF gym tomorrow. I'm excited! At least there, nobody will stare at me like I've lost my marbles for actually getting sweaty during a workout, lol.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote