Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #151  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Shannon, ditto. If you look at my avatar pic, you can see it, the sloped shoulders (they were down and forward) and the head position. I've seen some improvement over the last couple of months, though. I was just really weak in my back muscles, hams, and glutes before I started lifting.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #152  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Had a moment the otherday. Was lifting at the same time as a young friend (she's 28?) who is also pretty dang fit, has a Masters in exercise physiology, beats the pants off me running and lifts regularly. But she thought some of the stuff I was doing was interesting and just wanted to mix things up she tried to work in with me a couple stations.

That's when she found out that I may look soft with the extra weight but heh..heh... I got guns somewhere under the jiggle. She popped into my warmup set on bench press.

She's interested in working out with me some more now.

She does have biceps though. That's one area I am perennially weak relatively speaking.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #153  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
She's interested in working out with me some more now.
I bet she is! What a great feeling that must have been.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:55 AM   #154  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Okay, guys. You'll be proud of me. At skating tonight, the boy was goading me with his superior "Shoot the Duck" skills, so I could not ignore the challenge. Normally, this is quite entertaining for the boy, since I just end up on my rear end, but this time, after only a half dozen attempts, I did it , yeah, I could actually reach my skate to hold it up, and I was in the full pistol squat happiness and rolling...for all of 2 seconds, but hey, everybody has to start somewhere!

Way past my bedtime, and CF class is early tomorrow...9 a.m. on a Saturday is just mean to people! (well, skater peeps that are up late Friday night skating, anyway!)
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #155  
Mel

I'm impressed, Cheryl! Just think you far you have come fitness wise Shoot the duck sounds a little scary- do you wear a helmet when you skate?

I'm looking at ski helmets now....I think they are flying off shelves like hot cakes. DD and I are skiing in CO in another 2 weeks and we are both considering helmets. I've hit my head so hard so mayb times, tho, I figure if anything was going to break in there it already would have.

Did only 3 cardio sessions this week, but am getting 5 lifts in. Going to PT 3 times week is cutting into workout time!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #156  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Depalma, what you are saying makes great sense. I appreciate your insight and taking the time to explain it to me.

OK, work to do.... focused work.

gogogogogogogogogo us!

(AND jaMJAM, YOU SUPERSKATER you!!!)

Last edited by kittycat40; 03-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #157  
Working My Way Back Down

Mel - glad to hear that you and DD are getting helmets! I worked as a EMT/paramedic for 20 years, and also for PI lawyers, so have seen several accidents like Richardson's, and also worked on lawsuits (defense) where the same injury played a role. It's very scary because, like her, the patients seem to be fine. Take care of yourself.

Another cold sunny day here. I'm off to a short quilt class this am, and then into work as one of my PT people called me at 8 am sick. (That's a weird sentence). One of the other folks is going in for the first half, and I'll finish out. We're only open until 2, so not a huge deal.

DH called last night, but before I got home from Anchorage (dentist). He's there safely. I stopped to shop after my appt, and scored new black jeans and gray pants at a great sale at JC Penney. Also passed on jeans that were over $100! at Nordstrom. Now I'm looking for a small bookcase for my home office....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #158  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Mel - we went to helmets for skiing several years ago and would never go back. It is really comfy and I stay sooooo much warmer in cold weather and in warmer weather you can take the vent plugs out and it isnt that much warmer. It felt weird for maybe an hour and now I just find it more comfortable than without.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #159  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Here's a vid of Shoot the Duck on roller skates, if anybody doesn't know what it looks like:
Shoot the Duck

Here's a vid of my next project on skates. My friend Mike showed me this one last night...minus the limbo pole, this move is called Shoot the Moon:
Shoot the Moon

Mel, thanks! It helps a lot that "the belly" is mostly gone...that really got in the way (of a LOT of things). I've also made some gains in hamstring length and overall flexibility this year, for sure, which I've been fighting tooth and nail for, so I AM proud of that.

I do not wear a helmet if I'm just jamskating, because at the rink, it's all flat and smooth. There's some danger there of breaking bones if you trip over somebody or get plowed into and land wrong, but I've been skating for... 37 years so I have pretty good reflexes when it comes to falling as safely as possible. When I skate outdoors doing anything besides flat/smooth dance skating, like with a dog pulling me, or skating hills or skating around/near car traffic, then definitely yes, I wear a helmet, knee and elbow pads and gloves.

Well, my sister called me when I was trying to post, and we got to chatting on the phone, so I'll cut this one short, and post the crossfit report and the other replies later. I can't seem to post without writing a novel, sorry!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #160  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh my, Cheryl! You need some great flexibility for those moves! And you're skating on the 4 wheeled skates? I spent half my teen-aged years at a roller rink but never doing anything fancy. And now I'm in charge of a department that includes an ice arena, and I can barely stay upright and go forward around the ice. My DH makes up for me though, he ice skates several times a week for exercise and balance.

And may I say GRRRRR, it's started snowing!!! This is the second day of SPRING folks - stop with the white stuff already
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #161  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Pat, yes, I use roller skates. I never did master the inline skate thing, or ice skating, for that matter.

Kitty, thanks! Enjoy the time in the weight room! Probably the best "aha!" moment I've gotten from lifting is that a person CAN affect changes for the better, not just for looks, but for better posture and long term health and functionality. I think the buffness is just a nice bonus!

Ennay, meant to say WTG and congrats on showing that kid how it's done!

Lydia, what are you up to the past few days? We need a workout report or something!

And now, for the Crossfit Report:
---------

Class #9/Sat

My Pre-Warmup: didn't happen. Got home from the rink late, posted here, got to sleep about 130, tried to get up at 6, but woke up at 8:10. Had the fastest shower of my life, since I never feel up to it late Friday nights after skating, didn't have time for tea or breakfast, even, but got there 5 mins before start of class. Had just enough time for a short walk. Again, it was just me that showed up for class. I'm guessing the lady quit (?) and the guy had another obligation for his job. It's great to get the full attention of the trainer and all, but also kinda disappointing, since I was looking forward to starting with some other folks at the same time.

The Warm-up:
Run 400 meters
Then 2 rounds of:
10 air squats
10 push-ups
10 sit-ups
Then 10 shoulder dislocations with the pvc.

I was still really sleepy, and missing the chance to stretch, especially when we got to the next part...

Old Skills Practice:
1) Pull-ups and the kip! I was having a lot of pain in my shoulder when hanging from the bar. I told my trainer about it, and she was able to improve things for me by telling me to close the shoulder a little, so that instead of my hands being directly overhead, they were a little in front of my ear. This helped, but I'm still having to fight the pain in my hands. I feel like I did better today, though, without the distraction of the major shoulder pain. I fought hard to keep my grip and did better there, plus I finally was able to get 3 times in a row with enough kip to get a little momentum up off the bar (I'm supposed to get enough kip that I can let go and reset my grip on the bar, so I did that 3 times, barely, but that's my first successful 3-in-a-row with that!). My major weakness here is still my grip. I'm pretty sure I could do the kip if I could just frickin' hold on!

Then I practiced with the big rubber band, but still don't have the hang of using that. I got like 2 singles where I was close, but no chin over the bar yet on those.

I'm gonna do some practice on my own for this. I found a cool video on the Crossfit Journal where Todd Widman is training this guy in the kip, and it makes so much sense to me, I'm hoping that will help me learn the kip. My trainer is doing it a slightly different way, which I just am not having a lot of luck with, so I figure maybe I can try the new way on my own, and if it works, then that's all that matters, right?

New Skills:
1) The Hang Power Clean. This is the same move as the Hang Power Snatch we did Thursday, except this one is caught in the front rack position. This one was harder to get right, but by the end of the workout, I think I was doing it right more than not. The hard part for me was the speed element. You really are supposed to whip those elbows up and get under the bar fast. Lots of practice in my future on this one! Lemme see if I can hunt up a video clip:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...ower-clean.wmv
Okay, I did not look near that good, lol!

The WOD (workout of the day):
Run 400 meters
10 Hang Power Cleans 45# bar
Run 300 meters
10 Hang Power Cleans 30# bar*
Run 200 meters
10 Hang Power Cleans 30# bar

My time: 9:47
*I started with the 45# bar, but near the end of the first set of cleans, I was getting a bad twinge in my right shoulder, so my trainer got me a smaller bar, and the shoulder was fine after that. I think it was just still tweaking from the pull-up practice.

Stretches:
I did stretching on my own, because the regular group was there, and my trainer was the only one there, so she had to get those guys going on setting up equipment for their warm-up and workout.

After Class:
I stayed on to watch the first half of the group do the "real" workout. Part of their warm-up was to do the limbo under a pvc, and I wasn't about to miss that, lol. Then they did Fight Gone Bad. It was cool to see a real heavy duty workout in person. Some folks were kinda wussin' on it, like not locking out the arms on the push press, but most were working as hard as they could, it seemed, and one of the older guys there was just a freakin' beast...like, it was plain he was in pain on the last round, he had the shakes and all, but he just kept going...very impressive effort! I want to be like that when I grow up! Here's a clip of what the FGB workout consists of:
Fight Gone Bad

And that is it for the CF Report today.

PS to Lydia or anyone who's interested: if you don't have a CF Journal subscription yet, but have considered it, it's totally worth the $25. There is an unbelievable amount of info there on fitness topics, a lot of video/audio/pdf, I mean, tons more than the freebie stuff on the main site. Anyway, I finally got one, and just thought I'd say that I thought it was money well spent. I know that you guys know this, but for future ref, I'm not affiliated in any financial way with CF or the CF Journal, just think it's cool and thought I'd pass it on.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-21-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

I'm having real trouble getting on the site lately, so that is why you don't see me posting as much. My pages take forever to load and I have to keep refreshing, anyone else? I just saw a message saying that my phishing s/w is scanning the site as it loads -- that could take a loooong time I guess. That could be why and it could just be me. Sometimes reloading the page manually works, but sometimes not. Anyway, I'm here and plugging away, so don't worry that I've fallen off the track!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #163  
Working My Way Back Down

Fran, I have trouble with that on my desktop (which is 5 years old!) but my laptop loads more quickly. Funny, as my desktop has a very comprehensive anti-virus, anti-phishing, everything program on it. Grrr.

Loved the report as usual Cheryl. My lifting yesterday consisted of carrying a small bookcase I bought at Fred Meyer. It was ony 30#, but a very akward shape in a slippery box.... Fits great where I wanted it though

A 1/2" of snow, and temps right a zero this am. I'm off to shower, dress and go to church.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #164  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Fran, I set my phishing software not to scan this site, which helps, but I still sometimes get "stuck" in the loading phase. Usually, I page back, just till it is starting to load the previous page, then page forward, and the page will load right up. Seems like mine gets stuck in the "waiting for" the advertisements to load, and then just stops there, waiting and waiting, so the page back/page forward thing usually works to load the page right up. Sometimes mine gets stuck trying to upload a post, then I just press my "esc(ape)" key, resend the post, and that works. Maybe some of that will help, or maybe it's just particular to my computer..?

Pat, glad you found the bookcase you wanted! It's always a good feeling to see a project like that completed!

I'm taking a rest day today. Had that med ball clean workout Thursday which just abused my legs thoroughly, then skating Friday night, then Sat morning running and cleans with the barbell, then Sat night went skating with my friends again. It's been a blast, but my legs are fried, and my shoulders are sore from all the pull-up practice. I've got a date with a hot shower and some rubbing alchohol, so hopefully things will be a little loosened up by tomorrow.

Oh, speaking of skating, I tried the shoot the duck move again last night, and did much better. I could go most of the way around the rink floor before I landed on my butt. Gives me hope of actually getting a real pistol squat some day, though I'm not as good at balancing one-legged on shoes as I am on skates, lol. They had a late session last night, till midnite, but most of the folks left by 11:30, so 3 friends and I spent the last half hour playing with shoot the duck, shoot the moon (I just fell on my butt a lot with that one, but did sorta get a feel for the balance of it, so will just keep trying), and we fooled around pushing each other on little plastic dollies (aka "butt scooters", lol). So yeah, a bunch of adults acting like kids and having a good time. It was fun having the whole rink floor to ourselves.

For tomorrow, I'm planning just an easy workout, mainly skills practice on the kipping pull-ups, the new oly lift warm-up we learned Thurs, and the new lifts I learned this week.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 03-22-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Hmm, got in today without a problem, make a liar out of me!

Sitting here enjoying a free day. NOT looking forward to my new harder lbwo tomorrow. ugh, it kills me!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote