Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #76  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Cheryl,
If you have a pantry, you are not allowed to complain! I would kill for a pantry. I don't have any and my kitchen is the most dysfunctional one in Northern America.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #77  
Workin' It

Well, DH was out last night helping a buddy with a project, so I decided to do over an hour of yoga and 12 mins of tabata sequences after already being a little tired from the five mile run at the park. Instead of the yoga programs I knew I went for "Yoga Power Sculpt" which turned out to be a lot of plank, side plank, downward dog and dancing warrior series. Yowch. I rolled to a side plank late in the program and my elbow fell right out from under me... So, this morning I was having nothing to do with getting up for my scheduled Weider workout. I'm hoping to get it in tonight while DH & DSS eat dinner, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. That is going to mean that I either take today off and workout on my planned Sunday off day, or I have two days off this week... Darnit...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #78  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Here, I thought I'd share my view from yesterday with those of you who are still in the cold, snow and/or rain:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...q/GEDC0566.jpg
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #79  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, I had to try it to see. I'd say yes, though they're still tracking in line with the foot the whole time. I've just changed my stance, I think, so it's a bit more toed out, and not as wide a stance...it's just the "jump and land" stance, not much wider than hip width apart. It was a little strange at first, but is much more comfortable than what I was doing before, and I can get a lot deeper without losing the low back now.

Rabbit, enjoy your vacation! Sun, huh? I've heard of that...somewhere.

Mel, thanks for the paint recommendation. I bought what I thought would be good paint, sure paid enough for it, but it just would not cover to save my life. By the time I figured it out, though, I'd used half the can, so figured I'd finish the job. Next time, though, I'll go for the best I can find, and probably a shade darker, just to be safe!

The Crossfit report will have to wait. I hear my sister just pulled up for her lunch break, so I'd better go visit!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #80  
Mel

Aw, Dixie, that is just cruel!!!!! But enjoy!

No cardio today, the chiropractor rescheduled me for 7 am this morning :fright: He has an intern and it took twice as long to do the assessment. I'm all for teaching, but they were using up MY time!!!!! Hopefully he can help. My head was in traction this morning and I've been told to do no overhead anything including pull ups. I will be jello by the time this thing heals.

Shannon-Are you sore today? How is you elbow?

Rabbit- enjoy the SUN!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #81  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

The Crossfit Report follows, feel free to skip!
------------------------------------------

Class #5/Thurs

I got another "private" lesson today, since D and K did not show up for class. Had a client who was late dropping her dog off for boarding, which made me about 3 mins late for class start time, so I didn't get to do my usual pre-warmup.

The Warm-up:
Walk/Run 400 meters, plus I got in some stretching, since nobody was looking, lol.

3 Rounds of:
10 air squats
10 push-ups
10 sit-ups

A few minutes of shoulder dislocations with the pvc stick.

------------

New Skills:
1) The Push Jerk with a girlie bar. These are one of my faves, and I actually was doing these right on my own...bonus! We did a round of press/push press/push jerk, since that's a pretty typical crossfit workout combo. I also learned to dump the bar from overhead, which was very noisy, but strangely satisfying!

2) Knees to Elbows (KTE), or my version, which was knees as high as they would go, lol. Had to do this hanging from the pullup bar. My grip and shoulders were killing me already. Still not used to that wider pull-up grip.

3) Pull-ups with a band. After only a few dozen attempts, I got one. Lots of practice and some steroids needed here, lol.

--------

The WOD:

3 Rounds for time of:
Row 200 meters
10 DB Push Jerks (2x20 lbs)
10 KTE (or knee raises, in my case)
Time: 13:49 The knee raises were the hardest.

--------

Stretching:
The usual leg stretches, and one new one to help my sore glutes (the foam roller crippled my butt! lol)
--------------
--------------

And that is it for today's crossfit report. The boy and I are hitting the Y tonight. He will swim, I am hoping to practice the pull-up swing some place, probably hit the assisted pull-up machine, just to try and keep the hope alive, and want to go by the Super Supplements store to see if they have a halfway decent price on the Kre Alkalyn, so I don't have to order it online.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #82  
Workin' It

Dixie - that was cruel... beautiful, but cruel... I've got spring weather here, but the beach would be so much better...

Mel - I am sore today, actually. More in the right shoulder than the right elbow I fell on, the elbow is more stiff than sore. I'm thinking I am going to skip any serious exercise tonight and do some stretches while the boys take a bath. 7am chiropractor? Wowie. How are you feeling now?

Cheryl - your workouts wear me out just reading them!

Have a good trip Rabbit!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #83  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: I forgot about the knee to elbow. Again. Only something I would dare try for the first time if no one else is in the room. I've got a list of these kinds of things and it is long.

Shannon: Be careful with those later day/evening yoga classes.

Mel: I hope that you will find some relief soon. I'm sending some healing thoughts your way. : :

Dixied: Honestly. Thank you! I really enjoyed the photo.

This weekend I'm off to visit my grandmother. She has requested to see "The Girls." That would be my sister and I. The downside is that I'm going to miss my Saturday morning yoga class with one of my favorite instructors. However, when Grandma says it's time to come for a visit, we go. No questions asked...but if she tells me that my ankles look swollen again I'm not going to be held accountable.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #84  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, have a good visit!

Spent the morning at the waterfront today. It was sunny and 40-ish, which is nice and warm spring weather for us. Ran dogs with a few friends, about 5 miles, then Gracie (my dog) and I did about 3 more on our own, stopping for a long break at the beach for Grace to swim (or her version: wading).

Shannon, I understand. They're wearing me out, too!

I'm thinking, when I get enough training where I can do the olympic lifts on my own without killing myself, I might have to do a cycle of regular bodypart splits for a few weeks, or I might go back to what I was doing before, which was some "regular" lifting and some crossfit days. Some times, I just want to lift weights, and not have all the cardio and racing against the clock bits, KWIM? Plus, don't tell my CF trainer, but I actually like doing some isolation work, just cuz it's fun. I mean, IMO, doing skull crushers or preachers after a heavy lifting session is kinda fun, cryin' for my mama and all. Plus, I can just crank the tunes, and it's not a race...it's peaceful, IMO.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only nut on the planet (of lifting) that likes functional fitness stuff AND can still appreciate the BB style of lifting. Seems like people like one and think the other is worthless, but I like both. I like working for functional fitness goals, and I also wouldn't complain if I looked more impressive than I really am.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi all, I'd like to join in...posted three years ago under the name artmaker, but then somehow got busy, and started again last week under new name. Am a personal trainer, specializing in senior fitness, and do a lot of work in senior residences as well as having my own clients. At age 66, have cut back on the heavy lifting, now try to stick to toning and don't go above 10-15 lbs on my heavy days. Do alot with Smart Bells, which I use like kettlebells, as well as for lifting. I like the way their curved shapes conform to the body.

Hope that posting here will help me stick to my personal routines...working with seniors, mainly with chair exercises, I definitely don't get enough lower body work. That's why I like the kettlebell routines, or the functional fitness ones I do with the smart bells.

Also, at my age, and starting to get a little creaky around the joints with arthritis, have been trying to add a lot of flexibility and stretching...like the Ellen Barrett dvds for light days.

Last edited by jivingandthriving; 03-13-2009 at 09:05 PM.
jivingandthriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #86  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: That is exactly where I am too. I like both worlds. It's why I insist upon keeping elements of my upper and lower split. For me, lifting can be a form of meditation while I zone out with my music. When I'm learning new things it really zaps me physically and cognitively until I get the movement down. Sometimes you just need to mindlessly zone out and push out a few reps without any other goal than keeping your mind in a muscle somewhere.

Jivinandthriving: We must have been posting at the same time.

Last edited by Lydia227; 03-13-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #87  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Jive - welcome back. There's 2 more of us marylanders here - nelie is in rockville and i'm in the next county east of you. I'm in the midst of a BFL challenge at week 7, there's a few of us working thru that, and a few of us doing our own things. The cross section of the world of lifting is great for us to all learn and share. Looking forward to seeing more posts from yoU!

Well, the sumo squats are going to be the death of my legs apparently. Actually, I think they'll be responsible for unleashing some cheerleader legs on the world in about another 30 lbs. I've done them before, but man-a-live, they are making me scream now. They're putting the step-ups to shame! Swiss ball extensions and hamstring rollups on the ball are the other ways I'm torturing the back sides of my legs. Result is a freaky frankenstein walk that makes me look like another typicall unfit person walking around, but I want to wear a sign on my shirt saying - "NO, I really workout ALOT and that's why I'm walking like this!!!" Thnk that would work???
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #88  
Workin' It

Fran - I've been doing the hamstring roll ups on the ball lately, too, and they are beating me down! I think I have the same freaky walk going on sometimes...

Jiveinandthriving - welcome! I'm still pretty new here myself!

Lydia - you would think I'd learned my lesson about the late night yoga, but here I sit thinking about going and doing some now...
Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #89  
No description available.

Fran, I have days where I think "I'm so healthy I can barely walk!"
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #90  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

As you all know the biggest part of a 5K is preparation. Which is why I got up at 5am this morning, to paint my nails green and put on the shamrock tattoos. My hair is in rollers so I can make it "big" for my light-up shamrock tiara. Not your typical 5K. This is the one where they serve mimosas at the water tables and irish wakes afterwards. McGuires irish wakes are a very strong drink, so I think I'll bring my own water and stick with the irish stew at the after party. The pictures should be a blast though. I'll post some later today. I wonder how hard these tatoos are going to be to get off, I have a bridal shower at 4pm.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote