Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #61  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

YEAH LIFEGUARD!

Keep us posted with how you are doing! No wonder you have been so tired. Try to get as many naps and dates nights in as possible.

Kaw: Sorry to know that your hip is flaring up. I hear your frustration about not even being 40 and the thirty minute run on a treadmill. ~sigh~ I have those moments too. No real answer for you except to say I know those days.

Elisa: It looks like you had an awesome vacation. Good for you! I'd say there was plenty of activity to balance out the meals. I bet that time away went really fast!

Fran: Interesting information about the carb intake. I'll have to look at the article. You always seem to find the coolest stuff.

Mel: I'm hoping this is the last ski trip you get this winter. Not that I want to deny you your fun but I am so over this freaking weather I'm ready to leave the Midwest.

So. After two rounds of antibiotics I am over the strep incident only to come down with the flu. WTF. Seriously. Took my last pill two days ago and ran a temp last night of 101. GRRRR. Actually, I probably feel a lot like you do Lifequard: nausea, extreme fatigue, headaches oh, and muscle aches not related to DOMS. My immune system must be at an all time low. Even my kids have been healthier than me this winter.

My membership to the gym expires tomorrow and I still haven't made a decision. I've been too sick to try any of the new places out so the saga continues for a little longer. Hopefully I'll be feeling better Saturday and I can slip into some of these places over the weekend.

Okay, so that's enough "sunshine" from me for this post. I'll stop complaining now and go back to bed. Have a great weekend everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I don't have a link to that story - searched for one but no luck. Lifeguard - that's fabulous! SO quick too - well, once you got on the clomid. That was my luck too. Sorry, I peeked at your blog!

Lydia, I feel so badly for you. i suspect it was that evil hospital experience that lowered your immune system to this level. I also think I was soo sick in Dec and early January bc I had 3 rounds of cipro in Oct & Nov that I never needed for those 2 misdiagnosed uti's which turned out to be kidney infections. I think those antibiotics opened me up to every bug in the 'hood.

Dee - can't live without my ibuprofen. Clearly, Jillian has not had the muscle and joint pain that I"ve had. If they forbade the people from TBL campus from having them, that would be a dealbreaker for me w/o a doubt!!

Last edited by sportmom; 02-21-2008 at 09:42 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #63  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - Good point! Good job on the skiing too.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 AM   #64  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Congrats, lifeguard! That's way cool!

Every body is different, of course, but FWIW I continued lifting until around month 7.5, at which point I gradually phased out lifting. I knew it was time to stop lifting when I rolled off the T-bar row.

I started up again -- very light & infrequently -- a couple of weeks post-partum, as I recall.

Just for kicks, here's a pic of The Boy from one of my first days back. (This was taken at home, obviously. Not too many gyms allow newborns in the free weight section.)

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thank you everyone! It was sort of shocking after trying for so long that our very first cycle on clomid took.

Kaw - that picture is way cute - & that is one of my favourite websites btw!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post

Dee - can't live without my ibuprofen. Clearly, Jillian has not had the muscle and joint pain that I"ve had. If they forbade the people from TBL campus from having them, that would be a dealbreaker for me w/o a doubt!!
From what I understand from listening to Jillian is that she is very anti-NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen and naproxen because the downsides (kidney issues, impairs the body's natural muscle repair abilities, etc) far outweigh the upsides. However, she did say on her show that if they are taken for a short time per a doctor's direction to treat an injury, she had no problem. What she appears to be very against is using these to treat DOMS and similar minor aches.

On her show, she did say that the doctor's on TBL do give them out to contestants (if I remember correctly, she felt they did so too easily and willingly) so you would have no issue with the show. However, she did say that she tries to get her team to not use them and they have had success dealing without them.

This is not to say that she has a "suck it up" attitude when having you deal with pain and inflammation. She would rather have you attempt to deal with it naturally. On her show she has offered several possible ways to try to decrease inflammation and pain.

Among them:
  • Rubbing linessed oil on affected joints
  • Including ground flaxseed in your diet, in such things as yogurt or cereal
  • Using the spice tumeric in your cooking as the cumin in it has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties
  • The use of curcumin pills (another source of cumin if you don't like the spices)
  • she has cited research showing that moderate doses of caffeine (equal to about 2 cups of coffee) can reduce post workout soreness by up to 50%
  • She cited a study that showd that 1/2 cup of cherry juice post workout has shown to have an antinflammatory effect. (She did say the name of the antioxidant it contains, but I couldn't spell it if I tried)
  • She reminds to take a multivitamin which contains several antioxidants.
  • She has talked about the anti-inflammatory properties of ginger.
  • She mentions the use of glucosamine for joints
  • And of course she reminds about the cheapest, obvious, and probably most overlooked. Ice.

Bill Hartman, in Alwyn Cosgroves "Strength and Conditioning Interrogations" added:

"For injured clients, I always recommend two things be addressed beyond the basics
mentioned above. Pineapple and water. Yes, pineapple and water. The pineapple
contains the enzyme bromelin which contains a natural anti-inflammatory. Water is
necessary to prevent dehydration. If the brain recognizes that the body is becoming
dehydrated, it increases production of histamines that can result in increased pain."

Also stretching post workout and foam rolling pre-or post workout have been shown to help with recovery and to restore tightened muscles to proper length.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #67  
Just Me

LG,

Oh so you were taking clomid? My ob/gyn a while back told me if I ever wanted to have kids she would put me on clomid. I told her no thanks Although who knows what will happen in the future. Sometimes I think about possibly adopting in the far future.

Last edited by nelie; 02-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Congrats LG!

Btw, what is clomid?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #69  
Just Me

Clomid is a drug that is often prescribed to PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) patients to help them ovulate. Many women with PCOS have a lot of issues with not being able to get pregnant so clomid helps.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #70  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Thanks for all the answers about ibuprofen! I just waited it out and used the muscle rub once.

Lifeguard - That's wonderful news, congrats!
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Yes I did use clomid. After a year on metformin (not diabetic but it is used in pcos to regulate the cycle) & losing 70lbs things were still not working on their own. We only did one cycle of clomid at 50mg (which is the lowest dose). I didn't really have a lot of difficulties with side effects until I got the hcg shot to help enduce ovulation - I've been exhausted ever since! Hcg is the pregnancy hormone that the tests detect & the one that creates the exhaustion.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #72  
No description available.

Hi all! I feel like a drive-by poster so I hope you don't mind too much if I ask a question.

I have been using our Bowflex and I am ready to move to another level. Mainly cause I do not have the expertise needed to self-train. I read some of ya'll's conversations on here and I scratch my head at the terminology.

So I checked out this gym today. It is right by my house (great!), locally owned (great!), flexible hours (great!), and each session is pretty much one-to-one with a trainer. They come up with plans and switch them around. They talk nutrition and do a body fat check at the end of each month so you can check progress. Their MAIN thing is training athletes (like the kind who go to college on scholarships) and they are very serious about all this.

All good....right?

My question is about the cost. For three 1-hour sessions a week (one-to-one with a trainer), it would be $250/month or about $19 per session (my math could be off---please forgive!).

DH said that was a lot of money. It is, but I do have my own money for that, thank you very much.

It is outrageous? It is month to month so I feel like I will try it, but then I read on another thread that people are paying $20/month for a gym, but that wouldn't include personal training, right?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Congrats again on the pregnancy, Lifeguard!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #73  
Meg

Midwife, $19 per session is outrageous, alright ... outrageously CHEAP! Oh my gosh, what a deal you're getting! At Ballys, the lowest introductory rate is 3 hour sessions for $99 and normal training is between $45 and $85 per hour. And that's in addition to the gym membership fee! (usually only one introductory session of PT is included in a membership)

I would grab that in a heartbeat for a month and see how you like it. Those prices are the cheapest I've ever heard of for personal training!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #74  
Just Me

$19/session is insanely cheap.

A personal training session can cost anywhere from $40-$100 (and beyond) per session. It all depends on whether you would do that much training with a personal trainer at a gym. When I used a personal trainer, I used them once a week and went to the gym and worked out by myself the rest of the time.

So if a personal trainer cost $50, then a month would cost anywhere between $200-$250 for personal training alone if going once per week.

My only concern is possibly that if you wanted to workout more than 3 times per week, are you constrained by the gym? Or can you go beyond your 3 times per week personal training sessions?

Oh and a point of reference, I belong to Ballys and I have a super cheap nationwide membership so I haven't given it up. Problem is I don't go because it is a bit far from me and it is the suckiest Ballys I've ever seen. So I did look at the 2 gyms closest to my house. Both are really nice gyms and I get a discount through work. One of the gyms is $66/month and the other is $80/month. That is with the discount.

Last edited by nelie; 02-22-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

$250 a month is a lot for a gym membership but not a lot for the 3x a week personal training! That really is cheap! If you can afford it and like the idea of all that personal training, then I say go for it.

The only thing is that, like Nelie, I'd want to know if I could come to the gym at other times to do extras or to burn off steam with cardio or whatever.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote