Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 09:40 AM   #46  

Default About Love

A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8
year-olds,
"What does love mean?"
The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have
imagined:

When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her
toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when
his hands got arthritis too. That's love."

Rebecca - age 8

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
You know that your name is safe in their mouth."
Billy - age 4

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and
they go out and smell each other."
Karl - age 5

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your french fries
without making them give you any of theirs."
Chrissy - age 6

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired."
Terri - age 4

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip
before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK."

Danny - age 7

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing,
you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like
that. They look gross when they kiss."
Emily - age 8

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening
presents and listen."
Bobby - age 7

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who
you hate."
Nikka - age 6

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it
everyday."
Noelle - age 7

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends
even after they know each other so well."
Tommy - age 6

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and scared. I looked at all the
people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one
doing that. I wasn't scared anymore."

Cindy - age 8

"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me
to sleep at night."
Clare - Age 6

"Love is when mommy gives daddy the best piece of chicken."
Elaine - age 6

"Love is when mommy sees daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is
handsomer than Robert Redford."
Chris - age 7

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone
all day."
Mary Ann - age 4

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes
and has to go out and buy new ones."
Lauren - age 4

"I let my big sister pick on me because my Mom says she only picks on me
because she loves me. So I pick on my baby sister because I love her."
Bethany - age 4

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars
come out of you."
Karen - age 7

"Love is when mommy sees daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's
gross." Mark - age 6

"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean
it, you should say it a lot. People forget."

Jessica - age 8
Old 10-23-2003, 11:22 AM   #47  

Talking Leave that pesky wabbit alone!!

Heck NO, don't take that bunny off of there! He's cute! I was just making a bad joke!

I just had over half of my days' calories in my breakfast. But, it was so good, it was worth it. I made myself another egg McMuffin and hashbrown cake. And a fresh pear.

I'm feeling much better, but I think I'm having a reaction of some kind to the antibiotic. I called to tell them about it and they're going to have somebody call me back. It's nothing bad. Just turning a burning red on my face, neck and arms about an hour after I take it. Except for my top lip, .... it was really white.
I didn't get queasy sick, or short of breath or anything like that, and of course I wheeze some just because of the nature of my malady and the fact that I have asthma anyway. So, ... we'll see what she says. As of now, I'm just fine.

SunnyD, I'm glad to hear that your Mom is doing fine and the surgery went well. I can understand why you were so upset with your Dad. I suppose in his relief that it went well, he was thinking that if he told one of the kids, that one would tell the rest of them.
I can well imagine that it must be nerve wracking to be far away from your Mom when something like this happens.
I hope today is a better day for you.

Charlotte, you're as bad, or WORSE, than I am about sleep, ... or lack of it. But, I'm so glad that you're feeling energetic! That's great! I hope it lasts for the whole 6 weeks!
I was up at 3-something this morning, turned the TV on and fell back asleep! Surprised myself. Then I woke up again at 5-something, went back to sleep until 7:50! What in the world is happening to me? I think I'm just relaxing from being away from the stress from work.

It is 50 degrees here right now and the sun is shining brightly. I need to get out there. Don't know what I'm gonna do once I'm out there, but I just think it would feel good to bundle up and go sit in the swing and read or something like that.

Sheila, so glad that your tooth is now down to a dull ache. Hopefully by today it will be painless.
I had accupuncture once for weight loss, when I wanted to lose about 30 pounds. A friend had lost 120 pounds that way. Well, I went to her therapist, which is a 3 hour drive from where I live, and the first visit wasn't too bad, but it didn't do anything to my appetite. I DID feel tired afterwards though.
He stuck hair-thin needles in front of my ears, on my upper and lower abdomen, and on my arms. Then he attached little tubes to the needles, which were coming from a little machine and then he turned a low-voltage electrical current on, which I could feel ever so slightly. The second visit, he stuck the needles in further than the first time, and that hurt. All I got out of it was a bunch of black and blue lumps all over my abdomen. I probably would have been helped if I had kept going, but I never went back. Too far to commute. I liked talking with him too. He was really funny. He was asking about my family and all that, and when he found out I have 6 kids, he said, " Oh! You make good Chinese lady! Lots of children!"
Anyway, I hope it's successful for you. Just don't quit like I did.
Now, a massage sounds heavenly to me.

I just saw on CNN that they successfully separated another set of conjoined twins. They are going to have a special on tonight at 7 Eastern time about conjoined twins.

Sheila, if I were you, I'd write to your daughter every day. They do get homesick, and even just a little 2-line note makes a big difference to them. It's some kind of connection to home until they get used to the new routine and can call home more often.
You are going to be so proud when you see her at graduation, so fit, and proud and beautiful in that uniform!
I thank God every day for people like her.

Bluet, you're starting to worry me. How is that stiff neck and headache? Hope you're feeling better. Let us know how you're doing.

I better get moving here. Hello Puss! And Jacquie! Sue too if you're out there! Everybody have a great day!
Bad, bad Willow here, signing off for now!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #48  

Willow, glad you are back on form and full of energy, all that cleaning and exercise biking! Your son sounds lovely and such a nice dad - he obviously learned parenting from you having lost his own dad so young. I loved the kids' definitions of love, so sweet and 'out of the mouths of babes'. I hope you are not complaining about 50 degree weather, we have had frost in the mornings already though it does look pretty in the morning with the grass and trees all frosted.
SunnyD, I can imagine how you felt when your Dad didn't communicate about your mum. I am pleased that all went well for her.
Angel, you are on a roll, lady. Hip new trousers, a good GP report and feeling good. I can imagine how you feel about DHs family, it's often the way and there's always a giver and always takers. No matter, it's you two who matter and the kids. Once you get your new stuff back into your house I know you will feel good about it, you will be like bugs in rugs after living like travellers for so long. Try to get the loss of your possessions into proportion, you follow the teachings of a good guy who didn't have a single possession in his life, eh? You and DH sound one of the richest couples going with just what you have between you.
Sheila, glad that tooth is better and also that the acupuncture seems to be working for you. Don't worry about DD getting teased about the amount of mail she gets from you. Every single week I send both kids brown envelopes with a postcard or two of famous paintings or sculpures I have collected from my visits to Holland and at home with just quick scrawls telling them how lovely they are (kids and the art) and although son's flat mates tease him about clinging mum he says he doesn't care and that it feels good to know I care.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #49  

Had to leave the site quickly there - on this site I have been getting a full-screen pop up called 'Land of Monsters' telling me I have helped the site get so many hits! I have had this about 6 times now and only when I am on this site. Has anyone else had it or is is just me? My internet server had a download of two virus checkers for two virus's which have been causing havoc to customers. I ran them but there were not detected on my system. I hate these pop ups and the pathetic morons who do them.
I have decided that the only way to get below this platform weight is to exercise and although the thought of it makes me shudder, a good friend at work and I are going swimming tomorrow in our lunch hour. I tried my old swimsuit on before and it's huge on me, bust has shrunk (only good thing I had with weight increase!) and there's a big floppy bit where I don't like to think my stomach used to be. Will have to invest in a new one if I find it ok tomorrow. Also, have made enquiries about an aerobics class locally though the thought of it almost drives me to violence!! Never mind. I am learning to eat slower - even when skinny I used to bolt my food down - and tonight I had half a can of apricot halves in natural juice - 68 cals and no fat. It seemed to work because normally after rushing my food I still feel like I could fit more in and want something sweet afterwards. Well I stil fancied something sweet but the apricots worked tonight. I have managed to talk myself into feeling positive about this now. Tonight I had sweet and sour chicken and adapted the recipie cutting out all fat and had Thai fragrant rice with it. I will start entering on FitDay again too to check on the foods.
Hope you are all well, Hi to Jacqui and Sheila, you and DH have a lovely weekend down at the beach house. Oh, yes, did I tell you my new neighbour trains Guide Dogs for the Blind? Seems her own golden retriever went through the training but flunked out of class, sweet, eh?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:24 PM   #50  

Hi Everyone,

Well, it is Thursday and you know what I do on Thursday. No?
watch survivor and trash my mind. Can't wait to see what inhuman thing they come up with tonight and who gets voted off the island. Then I like to watch CSI which is a real gross-you-out show. DH usually falls asleep about five minutes into it. He just watches it because I want to.

Well, I am feeling better, still have some stiffness in my shoulder and neck, but not feeling as tough as I did earlier in the week. Gotta keep taking my vitamins and my fish oil. Right?
I never had strong finger nails until I started on a regime of two Fish Oil caplets a day. The program I am on recommends fish oil. I get a little back taste, but I can handle it.

Drove to Green Bay today to attend Grandparents day at my Grandson's school, first grade, I don't think he was too excited to see us. He probably was wondering what on earth to do with us. We had lunch together, toured his class room, and looked at his drawings and accomplishments and then he led us to the door and said "enough" so DH and I took our cue and went back to work. They are so darn cute, you just have to smile.

Charolett, glad to hear you are feeling better. I wish I could figure out how to get up early in the morning. It takes me forever to wake up and get myself motivated to get going. I hate that about myself. While I was sick, I lost three pounds, I don't know where they went, but today they found themselves right back to me. How exasperating. I am going to try the Bounce thing this winter as soon as I remembr to pick some up at the grocery. I finally found the source of the home invasion of the Asian Beetles. My Mom and I had done some window washing this fall and we have the Anderson Crank Out type windows, well I wasn't paying attention and one was not fitting properly when I cranked it shut. There was the tiniest of cracks at the top, and this is where the buggers were getting in. DH and I took care of that problen two nights ago and it is so nice not to come home and have to scoop up beetles.

Shiela,I don't think I could do the acupuncture thing. I am not too fond of needles to begin with. But I give you alot of credit for trying. Of course when you feel pain, you can go to extreme measure to ease that pain. How is the autumn fairing out in Washington? Do you get snow? Are the winters milder than they are in Wisconsin? we are suppose to get snow sometime this weekend and the beginning of next week. It is suppose to melt when it touches the ground. ALL I CAN SAY IS IT HAD BETTER!! Did you get your painting done? Whatever we did not get done, I guess will have to wait until spring now. I have to get out and design some sort of protection for my roses before it gets really cold.

Puss, I haven't had any pop ups while I am on the 3FatChicks site, but I have had a few other problems. One evening I came home shortly after I had installed a new firewall and there was a notice on the desktop that informed me that someone had tried to hack into our computer but failed. I called my guru computer son, and he said I couldn't really do anything about it but to report it to my internet provider. I was damn mad of course. We have been having some dialog boxes come up when we sign on that talks about our memory failing, but I think that is an internal thing. DH wants to invest in a knew operating system, that takes care of fixing minor problems so that you don't have to worry about them. Microsoft is bragging about a knew system they have on the market. I use Windows 98 right now and am happy with it, but if a faster new one would be benefical, then why not. I also do not have DSL. I feel the monthly charge is too excessive., so when I load the site it takes forever, because of the graphics. I'll just have be patient on that one. A new bathing suit, huh... I haven't had a new bathing suit in about 5 or 6 years. You are right we should excercise, but..... at least I know someone that hates it as much as I do.

Sunny, are you still with us? Sorry about what your Dad, put you through. I think men have a penchant for not realizing how important a thing as communication can be. When I was in labor for our third daughter, my DH and I dropped our other two daughters off at my Mom's house and we went to the hospital. I wasn't there very long and delivered our third daughter. DH went home and continued doing the farm chores and never called my Mom. Mom was frantic thinking I was in labor all that time. Finally DH showed at up Moms to pick up the girls to take them home and boy did he get an earful from Mom. He still hears about it to this day. And rightly so. He is a really nice guy so I never say anthing.

Willow, you are a little rascal. I can see when you get over here in June, we will probably be getting into a lot of trouble. I will warn everyone to get the innocents off the street, because we will be in town. Not really, can't resist giving you hard time though, don't know why. I am looking forward to next June though. So glad to hear you are feeling better, and me too. I am such a baby when I am sick, well not a baby so much as perhaps a crabby b....h , poor DH can't do anything right when I am in that kind of mood. Don't you feel sorry for him? Usually we get the same weather as Minnesota, within a few days. But the weather people are not predicting nice weather for the next 4 to 5 days. Oh gosh, I get so cold. The Packers have a bye this week and our quarterback has a broken thumb, but they are coming to Minnesota the following week to play the Vikes who's quarterback has three broken bones in his back. What a debacle, may the best man win.

Well I have to close for now, I have to go visit the daughter next door. Seems I am having a babysitting conflict with her and her older sisters children and I don't know who to please next.

Take care everyone

Bluet
Old 10-23-2003, 08:40 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Just a short one to say hi, and WE GOT A LETTER! Yup, we got a letter from DD dated 10/17. She said to "please write every day" so there's the answer to my question. At that point she must not have gotten any of the 8 letters I've sent her.

She said that time really flies, and that she got picked to be on the drill team so in addition to learning how to make her bed, shine her shoes, and learn the chain of command, she has to learn to throw and catch a rifle. I'm assuming they are not loaded! She said the physical training is the hardest--the running is okay, but "the pushups suck."

Okay, gotta go make salmon for dinner.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #52  

Default That's cool Sheila!

See??? I TOLD ya!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #53  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry I'm still here :)

Hello everyone!

First off ~ I wanted to let you know that my mother pulled through her surgery like a trooper! I spoke to her this morning and she is in allot of pain and discomfort (need I say), but she is up and around and at home. My sister is taking real good care of her. She and my SIL are making dinners to bring over to them and my DS is caring for my mother's personal needs. I am so glad that all is going as well as to be expected. It is such a painful surgery. She did not sleep well, but it will get better each night for her - the first night is always the toughest! Thank-you so mcuh for ~ALL~ your thoughts and prayers! I am truly Blessed!

Me --- Well, I have been so very ill the last week and am still on the mend, but so much better today. I had a very bad Diverticulitus attack and had a low grade fever as well. The spasms were pretty bad, so I could not sit at the computer for any length of time. I was flat on my back. I did go back to Curves on Monday thinking I just had a short bout with a flu bug but in reality - I was at the beginning stages of an infection that only got worse after I worked out. You are suppose to be as calm as possible during one of these attacks - woops - I didn't recognize it this time, because it had been so long since my last one. We came to the conclusion that it was all the tomatoes I had been eating from our garden... the seeds got all stuck and then infection set in. And now I have a urinary track infection I am being treated for - because it always happens after an attack.

I am doing so much better now. Been drinking allot of herb teas and tons of water (I think I have lost some weight too). But I should be back in the swing of things soon... It just has been one long and hard three weeks!

SHELIA ~ I am so very happy to hear that you finally heard from your daughter It is so hard to be far away from a loved-one and not be able hear from them. God Bless You!

BLUET ~ Thanks for asking about me... you are just so sweet! I am doing so much better today. Still not in the pink, but almost there.

WILLOW ~ I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better!!!! Yeah! Hope you continue to do so.

ANGEL ~ I am seeing a side of you I didn't on the other thread - you are really funny! Love your sense of humor - you and FATPUSS make quite a pair.

Quote:
SunnyD - your puss cat standing (Guido?) he looks a little like my Alfie, so cute your three moggies. I have asked a friend who is very good on prayers to pray for safe delivery of your mum. My daughter has recently spent two months shadowing an arm and shoulder surgeon and believe me, they were all successful cases - they know so much more now in that field than they did even a couple of years ago. The ladies here are also good on prayer - my cat was at death's door recently and he has amazed his two vets with remission.
PUSS ~ Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! And I am glad you also enjoyed my boys! I am not able to have children, so these guys are my kids Yes... the one standing is Guido... he's my 'Casanova' (the lover - cudly one).

I want to Thank you ~ALL~ again --- for being there for me while I vented... My father is a long story (won't even go there right now ) I am just so relieved that my mother is home and recovering and that she is being cared for.

You all Take Care now and My God Bless You!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 10-24-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #54  

Angry ANGEL...

OH! ANGEL! ~ How could I be so thoughtless!!!

YA HOOOOOO!!!!! for reaching your weight-loss goal and then some!!! I am so very happy for you and cannot wait to do that dance one day myself. I bet you look so sharp in that new jacket
Old 10-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #55  

Angry WILLOW...

WILLOW ~ I just loved that post on what children thought "LOVE MEANT" --- very enjoyable! Thanx!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #56  

Angry

Another picture of my boys (the two brothers) on our new sofa... I believe they use it more the my hubby & I do

Last edited by SunnyD57; 10-24-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:02 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi, all--

Got on long enough to say congrats to Charlotte! Wahoo!

I lost 2 lbs. this week--finally got over my emotional eating. I'm heading out to the ferry across to the island where I will be staying with friends for the weekend. I will check back here on Sunday. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-24-2003, 04:42 PM   #58  

Smile SHEILA...

SHEILA ~ WAH-hooooo for you too! A loss of 2 lbs in a week is really good!!!! Emotional eating is so very hard to get past... I am working on it too. How are you doing it?? I enjoy eatting for any reason - when I feel bored, wen I am sad or happy - I always seem to go there. I don't binge, but I do eat all through the day no matter. So what I do is grab a glass of water first now each time I go into the kitchen for anything; then I either forget what I was going for OR I am now too full and don't want it. It's working for me right now

Have a great time this weekend!!!!!
Come back a tell us all about it...

Last edited by SunnyD57; 10-24-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:45 PM   #59  

Angel and Sheila - you losers, you!!
Well done the pair of you! Sheila I am so glad your mind is at rest after hearing from DD. They must think she has big potential choosing her for drill team - co-ordination is not one of my better talents.
Bluet - my mum introduced DH and me to CSI investigation. We really liked it but it's always on when we watch something else. Your little GS is so cute, independent little sir too, ha ha. Glad you are feeling a little better now, hope it continues. Your problems with IT were interesting. I heard on the radio that Microsoft have developed a system where emails automatically destruct after a certain time and I think that may be linked to what you were saying. We used to have Windows Millenium but changed it to 2000 because it wasn't much good - or so DH tells me, because what I know about IT you could write on a full stop. I can't believe your DH didn't phone your DM that you had given birth. Well, yes, I can really, my DH has done similar things.
SunnyD - I am sorry you can't have children and I fully understand how the pussies are the babies. I was trying for a baby for 4 years and had a puss called Tigger who was my world. My neighbours in UK wanted to keep her when we were sent to Bahrain with DHs work but I couldn't part with her and took her with us. Six months later she went missing never to return and I was heartbroken. We put pictures of her all over the island and offered huge reward but had to take them down when all these people came to the door with cats they had obviously hi-jacked off streets - couldn't bear the thought of someone else missing their cat. I was 6 months pregnant at the time and the doc was concerned I was losing weight. I cried about my cat and still remember her saying "but you will have a beautiful baby soon" and me replying "I would rather have my cat back". Honestly. I still think of that little fiesty Tig 23 years on and wished I had left her with the neighbours in England. I have heard that diverticulitis is really nasty, poor you. Pleased that your DM is on the mend, she sounds a trooper. Your boys are just too cute christening that sofa! They would make good TV advert material.
Today I decided to stop the procrastination and get on track again. Friend and I went swimming in our lunch hour - 35 mins non stop breast stroke - and 10 mins brisk walk each way to the pool and back to work. We tried not to get our hair too wet but I got splashed in the face and was worried my mascara would 'panda' my eyes so I was blowing furiously up into my eye to blow dry it and trying not to blink. Karon said I looked like a basket case!! I bought a new swimsuit tonight - the one I wore today was from 7 years ago and baggy on me, I have lost about 30 pounds since I wore it. I also bought a wooly hat because it's so cold now - minus 5 expected overnight. As you probably know it was Concorde's final flight today and I felt quite sad as did more than half the nation. I usually see it right in front of me as it takes off across the motorway in the morning on my way to work. My work is the exit before Heathrow airport. So magnificent and majestic and such a shame.
Well after all this walking and swimming and being good with food today, if I haven't lost some tonnage tomorrow I will throw a paddywack fit!!
Regards to Willow and Jacquie and all friends here. xx
Old 10-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #60  

Default WHAT'S THIS???? PUSS EXERCISING?!?!

I can't believe it! Good job, you!
I bet you'll have a whopping good loss too, because you're not a regular exerciser, ..... yet.
Although, sometimes, when you first start exercising, the muscles fill with and hold fluid for a few days, which can seem like a gain, but they eventually let go of the fluid, so don't get discouraged if that happens. I'm proud of you. And water exercises too. I love putzing around in the water. I'm not a good swimmer, but I like to do exercises in the water. I always feel so relaxed and sleepy after playing in the water.
Another week and I can buy my swim passes at the motel.
That really was a shame about the Concorde, but I don't imagine many people can afford it anymore, and I thought they had said that the cost of the upkeep for it was unimaginable. Too bad, though. Another piece of history put away.

Sheila, congratulations on that 2 pound loss! I'm proud of ya!
You enjoy that weekend now. You can relax about your daughter now too, so you should be able to have a good time.

Bluet, I have some fish oil capsules here, and I've forgotten why I have them, or what I was doing at the time I bought them. Probably just read someplace that they're good for your heart or something.
That little Grandson sounds like a hoot! Cutie!
I bought 2 different halloween masks today and I'm going to wear one tomorrow when my little grandson stops over with the pies I ordered from him for a fundraiser his school was having. He's 5 yrs old, and tonight they are having a fun night at his school and he's going to wear his HULK costume.

Glad you found the entry the Asian beetles were using.
We had a little rain here today. Dark and dreary all day. Very cool too.
I promise I'll behave when I come to Manitowoc.

Charlotte, glad you made your goal, plus lost more! It must feel so very good! Still feeling rarin' to go?

SunnyD, Those kitties are adorable.
So sorry to hear you aren't going to have any children. A person takes so much for granted until you hear of something like that.
Glad to hear that your Mom is doing so well.

My sister has diverticulosis and was horribly sick and in pain with it a few years ago, and they had to do a colonoscopy and open the abcess up, which she said was unbelieveably painful. Hers got infected from eating jojo's and one got stuck.
Take care and continue to get well.

I better go do something. My hinder is getting numb from sitting so long!

Everybody have a good night. Hi Jacquie! Hi everybody else not posting!
Closed Thread