Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #121  

Sorry for not posting yesterday - I was shattered after swimming at lunchtime and aerobics in the evening but it was the phone calls that held me up, both kids and usual marathon one from mother. Willow, well done on the swimming. Two other colleagues joined us yesterday at the pool, one 20 years younger than me and one 10 years younger and neither could keep up with friend and me (she is also 10 years younger) We only do breast stroke for 40 mins but we are up and down without stopping and the newbies kept stopping for rests so even with the smoking and age I can't be that unfit I suppose. Mind you, didn't tell any of them I used to swim backstroke for the county as a girl, ha ha!!
If you see another post after this one, its because I don't want this tempermental computer to crash like it sometimes does and wipes the message out.
SunnyD, thank you very much for praying for my Alfie. We need all the help we can get because he is not eating much at all now and if it wasn't for the fact he is a chubby puss I think he would be quite thin by now. I see you are back at curves again, well done! Your kitty sure is a natural model, posing like a genuine cat walker.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #122  

I suppose I should have done this in word and cut and pasted it so sorry for the two posts.
Sheila, I am so proud of my feet and toes especially that at the airport I will be sitting on Dhs shoulders waving them at you - I thought about just going barefoot but without my heeled shoes I would be even smaller and you wouldn't see me in the crowd. Hope you are feeling ok after all the accupuncture, ugggh! They changed the routein in aerobics last night and although I am still uncoordinated, there's a few there worse than me. Things like that don't bother me anyway. Your little GD sounds adorable and all the little things we see kids achieve as they grow must be so more special when your little one makes such effort. My friend adopted first a little girl who has Down's and a couple of years later a little boy with learning difficulties. Little madam is no different to any other little girl teaching younger sibling how to do stuff and bossing him around. Gorgeous pair of kids. It's so sad about your two cousins, I do hope things get better for them.
Willow, 2.5 hours in the pool - well done, girl! You'll be needing to replace those new swimsuits before long with smaller ones. I too have heard that thing about only eating what would fit into the palm of your hand but I can't ever imagine it satisfying me. I was thinking the same thing as Sheila, is the lack of white foods depleting your energy levels, especially now you are swimming etc? You know I will be thinking of you at the Mayo.
Jacqui, good to have you back. Hope your DH orthopaedic appointment goes well, it must be a worry to you. I won't even mention IT problems - my contract with this server ends later this month and I hope the new one is better.
DH flies in early tomorrow morning so hope to post but if I don't then you will know he is totally mesmerised by my new voluptuous figure and stunning new looks and .......
Not!! He probably won't even notice that I spent an hour raking up 6 bags of leaves from the front garden today.
By the way, I lost 2lb when weighed in at the aerobics class yesterday, wasn't really expecting it with the pig-out over the weekend so just as well I got the swim in before the class, ha ha.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:49 PM   #123  

Default Good evening all!!!

I simply cannot get a meal down to the size of my fist! I had a big mug of soup again for breakfast and 2 slices of Atkins low carb rye bread with a wedge of light laughing cow cheese.
Lunch was a sliced roma tomato with egg salad.
Supper was a grilled skinless chicken breast and saute'ed brussel sprouts and 1/2 a sweet potato. Dessert was my ricotta cheese-peanutbutter thing again.
Drank lots of water.

I took my CPAP down to have the pressure adjusted and they ended up also putting me on a different head gear. It's called Breeze with nasal pillows. I think I'm going to like it much better. It doesn't have that mask over my nose. It is a narrow strip that is adjustable that fits the curve of your head from back to front and has 2 little soft rubber attachments that go into your nostrils to keep the airway open.
The one I have been using can be seen at http://www.cpap.com/productpage.php?PNum=757
and the one I am going to be using now is at http://www.cpap.com/productpage.php?PNum=105
I just hope it helps me to sleep. I've been waking up waayy to much lately. Feel tired all the time. But, I think it's from the mask, not from the low carb, because I was tired before I started the low carb.

Went swimming again today. got more exercise than yesterday, actually, because I was there by myself longer today. Then one of the ladies I met yesterday came in and we yakked up a storm again, but we kept pretty busy too.
Now I can't go back until Sunday afternoon. Something nice to look forward to though.
I HAVE to go to work tomorrow. Much as I dislike it.

Sheila, when you told of baby sitting 5 boys, it reminded me of what my 6 boys did to a babysitter one time. Her parents were divorced, and her father lives across the street from me, but I'm also very good friends with her mother. Anyway, my boys were playing cowboys and indians, and convinced her to let them pretend to tie her up to the chair. Well, they didn't pretend at all. They wanted to go outside and play, and she didn't want them to, so they tied her up for real, and took off outside to play. Little devils!

When you spoke of cupping, did you mean a maneuver of cupping the hands and using them to lightly pound the muscles?
We also do that with patients who have respiratory illnesses like emphyzema, or cystic fibrosis,... It's called cupping and clapping when we do it in that setting. We would change their position to better facilitate the mucous draining out. Head down and tipped first to one side then the other then onto their tummy.
The maneuver is also good for circulation.

I certainly am praying for your cousins. Have they tried another Dr? I just get so irate when I hear of things like this, It should not matter what kind of insurance a person has or doesn't have. A human being is a human being, and everyone should be given every medical option there is. This really pisses me off because we're sending our hard earned tax money over to Iraq and we've got people being refused a simple medical procedure here at home. I better shut up right now, because I'll get on a rant and won't shut up for hours.

Hi Jacquie! Glad to see your post!

I guess what I've been doing is pretty much the SBD, only I didn't know that when I started. I just was going to stop eating white foods. I have done that for over 2 weeks now, and it's working really good. I bought the book last week, and it is what I'm doing, so I'm going to hang in there as long as it keeps working.
Actually, it didn't take any will power. I honestly haven't craved carbs. Although I had an awful headache for 4 or 5 days, and I think that was from the carb withdrawal. If you do it, I hope you have the same luck I've had as far as not craving carbs.
I also didn't worry about amounts. I just have been eating slowly until I'm satisfied.
I have always had such a large capacity though that I know at some point I'll need to do something about the size of my servings.

We had snow for a day or so, but it's all gone now. It's pretty cold out there though. Around 30 or less at night and maybe up to 40 during the day.

Best wishes and my prayers for your hubbys visit to the surgeon. Hope all goes well.

Hi Sunny, and thanks for the ricotta ideas. They sound nummy.
Yes, my hands looked like prunes when I got out of the water. But it's worth it. I slathered on the lotion after I showered and it just seemed to be absorbed into my skin immediately. I'll have to remember to put lotion on several times a day now, especially with winter here and the dry heated air.

That soup really does taste good. It feels so good on my tummy that I've been having it for breakfast.

That really does sound like fun to have a friend to go shopping with.
I won't have to get anything this week except maybe some frozen veggies.
Sunny, YOU'RE a pretty special lady too, and I'm glad you decided to start posting here.

Puss, you little devil you! Here you are an experienced swimmer and showing those kids up without telling them. God! I'm just LAUGHING here!
I'm not a good swimmer at all, but, all I care about is getting some exercise, so the little bit I do suffices nicely. Side stroke, back stroke, dog paddle, ... None of them strong, but I keep at it continuously. Today I hit the water and kept moving in one way or another for an hour and a half before I took a break and yakked with another lady when she came in. Now, I wasn't swimming all that time, but was doing some kind of exercise or movement all the while. I feel good tonight too.

Poor Alfie! He's in my thoughts.

OMG! I can just picture it, .... A lady on a mans shoulders waving her feet in the air, .. at the airport!

And you waited till the end of your post to tell us about your loss too!! CONGRATULATIONS!! Well done!

Well, ladies, I need to get out of here and get to bed. Hopefully tonight I'll sleep well.

Hello to Charlotte, Bluet and anyone else out there! Have a wonderful evening!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:54 PM   #124  

Hi all!

All the swimming discussion has me heading back to the pool tomorrow morning. I have been lax lately but have been water walking at 7 am 3 days a week for the past 2 years. I can really see the difference in my legs when I do it consistantly.

Today I even got some Christmas shopping done, it seems with all the snow we have had everyone is getting into the spirit early me included.
I met my DIL and grandaughter ( 8 months today ) for lunch and a very nice visit. She is such a joy and is doing new things everytime I see her. Her big sister who is 8 years old just adores her.

The diet hasn't been going very good lately. Still so much going on and I am such an emotional eater. I haven't been really bad just not good enough to loose.
Mother is still so dependant on me even being in an assisted living complex......I really understand the stress there is on caregivers!

I have to go to Calgary which a couple of hours drive from where we live for several weeks to look after the grandsons while my DIL works and DS goes to Houston on business. I will take all my relaxing tapes, CDs and a couple of good books to read and have some quality R & R time while the boys are in school. We are truly the sandwich generation. I don't mind though I don't get to see the boys often enough and before I know it they will be all grown up.
Just have to find out how to log onto their computer when I get there and I will be all set!

Sorry for the rambling I guess it was my time to unload.

Till tomorrow...

Jacquie
Old 11-07-2003, 09:16 PM   #125  

Default TGIF!!!

Well, I made it to work today. It was a long day too.

Foods were good. Had ham and eggs for breakfast with my cup of green tea.
Had egg salad and half a sweet potato and some raw cauliflower for lunch. Supper was a loin pork chop and some chopped turnip greens and half a squash that I saute'ed in olive oil and sprinkled some oriental 5 spices on. And, of course my tea.

I rode my exercise bike for a half hour this morning.

Went shopping after work and bought a new carpet steam shampooer and a new vacuum cleaner. I want to get this carpet cleaned before the holidays. Even if it's only the main traffic areas.

Guess what? ... I'm not baking my own pies for Thanksgiving. I ordered them today from our local privately owned bakery. They have the BEST baked goods! Am I getting lazy, or what?

I made out my grocery list for the holiday weekend too. One of the stores had butter for 99 cents a pound for solids, so I bought a bunch and put it in my freezer.

I think I'll clean my carpet and wash laundry tomorrow and then spend Sunday afternoon in the pool. Sounds sooo good.

Jacquie, it sounds like you've got a nice several weeks coming up. I bet those kids are gonna love it!

Do you go to the Y to use the pool, or do you have a different place? They say that walking in water is wonderful exercise all the way around. I go to the deep end and "run" back and forth across the pool for a while. Of course, I'm more or less treading water, but it sure gets your heart moving.

I am not going to do any Christmas shopping. I'm going to give each family a check and let them use it how ever they want to. There are just too many to come up with ideas for. Like 25 people. And I don't like shopping anyway.

I understand how stressful and aggravating it is to contend with an elderly parents care. You know that you're doing a good job, Jacquie, so that's all you can do. Give yourself permission to live your life too, because you can ruin your own health if you let the stress take over.
Maybe getting away for these next few weeks will do you good and you'll get some rest in.

I gotta go now. Hello to everyone. Hope you're having a good evening.
Have a great weekend!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:44 AM   #126  

Hi everybody....I'm soooo glad it's the weekend! It's turned cold, though....makes my arthritis worse! I seem to be losing strength, too, a week too early. Don't get treatment until the 17th. Could just be a spell of overworked....which I am these days. I've got to stay home more, & rest. My old body is telling me so.

Fatpuss... Congrats on the weightloss! I've heard swimming is really good for losing weight. So, you can probably get away with eating a little more! I DID enjoy the manicure! I'm having to get used to my nails being longer, though. Always kept them short. I don't know if I can ever give up for a pedicure. My feet are ugly, & I am paranoid about someone having to take care of my toenails! Wish I had pretty feet....like you. It must be nice to feel good about your feet. Always want to hide mine. Guess I'll have to give in, when I can't hold on to the clippers, though. Right now, they're large enough, I can still grasp fairly well. I HATE RA!!

Willow...your sons sounded like my twin daughters when they were little! We had our hands full. Once I heard something on the roof....it was my 3 yr old daughters! They had climbed the antenna pole, & was running up & down & sliding part ways down the roof of the house! I begged them to come down....I couldn't climb the pole....they just laughed at me. I had to get a neighbor to help me. Another time....before cars had all the safety features...Trina got behind the wheel...shifted it out of gear....tried to run over Gina....while she laughed & played "dodge" with the car! I looked out the window, just in time to see the car barely miss her, & land in the ditch! Ater almost having a heart attack, I got my neighbor to help get the car out of the ditch. I know he was happy when we moved!
I could write a book on them. It wasn't that we didn't try...I guess they got the switch more than any kids I know....grew up to be such sweet young ladies. We're just happy they survived growing up!

Jacqie....I've bought 1 item for Christmas, so far. It's hard to get started. Can't wait much longer, though.
I understand about your mother. My mother has Alziemer's...& step-dad won't give up to put her in a nursing home. His health is bad...& she doesn't even know what's going on, anymore. I think he's afraid of being lonely. The nursing home is only a block away, though. He could be with her every day. I don't like the idea, either....sometimes, it's the best. She can't handle "personal" care anymore, & my sister & I can't be there all the time. It's sad.

Sheila....I'm so sorry about your cousin. I will certainly be praying for both of them. I'm very fortunate, so far, with my drs. I've been on disability since I was 36....& have never had a problem getting the care I need. I've always selected the drs I want to use, also. I've had several surgeries, so I know the bill has never been an issue. I suppose every state, & every dr is different on these things. You know, though, it may be they know it wouldn't help, & just don't want to put her through more. My dad was only 52 when he passed away with cancer. I think the more they operated & treated him, the worse he got. We all felt that he would have suffered less, & lived longer....if there had not been any surgeries. I just hope & pray all will be done for the best for your cousin....& will not be in pain.

SunnyD...your neice is gorgeous! I love to kiss the back of their necks at that age! Give her a kiss for me.

Hope all have a good weekend.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #127  

Default THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

[size=huge]STOP! STOP RIGHT HERE! DO NOT POST!
GO TO THREAD OVER 50 AND GETTING HEALTHY #6.
SEE YOU THERE![/size]
Old 11-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #128  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Wink

Just so nobody gets lost this time - HERE IS A LINK (BELOW) TO THE NEXT THREAD "Over 50 & Getting Healthy #6"

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=34218
Closed Thread